S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Classic Rocks
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Is it in Cross Plains

Not likely. Rusty doesn't allow night hunting.

Don't know if I know of this "Rusty" you speak of Amigo...

Several Years back I had a Plumber invite me on a Hog Hunt...with much apprehension I accepted out of kindness and he was a great guy with a big heart..It was a couple Kids that were school teachers and they guided this place on the weekends..

First Flag, we get there and it was a storage building with a Stump (toilet) and sink in it w Bunk Beds..Fair enough nice little Hutt and did the trick..
The first Hunt he wanted me to ride on the back of a Little Honda 4 wheeler out to the stand..I am talking KID sized 4 wheeler, I refuse to sit behind a grown man and hug him while we ride out to a stand.
I said I will either drive out or walk behind you, he said you cant do that ..then I will sit my Happy *** right here by that Cooler, I am not that mad at Hogs Hand..
He took me out in his Truck. The Hunt was majority of Hogs they had bought or trapped and had in a little 350 acre fenced field..SMH
You would shoot one and they looked up and went back to eating. They next day he asked, can I film you...NO
Why because I said NO
so he went with the other guy and sat in a tripod 25 yards from him and filmed him in a Tripod.. bang

This was all before my "ALWAYS DRIVE YOURSELF TO ANYTHING" rule I self appointed years ago...
I asked the guy I rode with when do you want to leave, he was not having a very good time also but was trying to be a good host..he said we can shoot 2 more, I walked into the field after that and shot 2 with my Sidearm and said load up... bang

Bad Deal all around or at least it was for me...Nice Fellas but not my Cup of Tea

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: SniperRAB] #6133820 01/13/16 04:50 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Is it in Cross Plains

Several Years back I had a Plumber invite me on a Hog Hunt...with much apprehension I accepted out of kindness and he was a great guy with a big heart..It was a couple Kids that were school teachers and they guided this place on the weekends..

First Flag, we get there and it was a storage building with a Stump (toilet) and sink in it w Bunk Beds..Fair enough nice little Hutt and did the trick..
The first Hunt he wanted me to ride on the back of a Little Honda 4 wheeler out to the stand..I am talking KID sized 4 wheeler, I refuse to sit behind a grown man and hug him while we ride out to a stand.
I said I will either drive out or walk behind you, he said you cant do that ..then I will sit my Happy *** right here by that Cooler, I am not that mad at Hogs Hand..
He took me out in his Truck. The Hunt was majority of Hogs they had bought or trapped and had in a little 350 acre fenced field..SMH
You would shoot one and they looked up and went back to eating. They next day he asked, can I film you...NO
Why because I said NO[b][/b]
so he went with the other guy and sat in a tripod 25 yards from him and filmed him in a Tripod.. bang

This was all before my "ALWAYS DRIVE YOURSELF TO ANYTHING" rule I self appointed years ago...
I asked the guy I rode with when do you want to leave, he was not having a very good time also but was trying to be a good host..he said we can shoot 2 more, I walked into the field after that and shot 2 with my Sidearm and said load up... bang

Bad Deal all around or at least it was for me...Nice Fellas but not my Cup of Tea

LMAO!!!

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: SniperRAB] #6133837 01/13/16 04:59 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Quote:
[/quote]
[quote=SniperRAB]Is it in Cross Plains

Why because I said NO

scratch sounds like a HF hog hunt .... i'll stick with my WMA hog hunts ... It's nor for every one, finding hogs twas always the easy part, work twas getting em out for grillen & chillen... Ya can call me muyloco crazy, as pappy says: just don't call me lazy ... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: 1860.colt] #6133841 01/13/16 05:01 PM
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Before or after walking the bar ditch

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6133871 01/13/16 05:17 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: DuckKiller2010
I asked questions. Motion lights were supposed to be there. They weren't even present from what I could tell on any of the blinds. We did have a good 2 hours of daylight hunting but after that it was a joke. Not going to name him just yet. Got to give folks a chance to make right. And if he does make right I will let everyone know that too

I've read all the posts, and as an owner/outfitter I'm glad you didn't come here to hunt. Not saying that to bust your huevos at all, it's just that my hogs aren't "pull a string and they show up" animals. Other than aoudads and eland they are my most unpredictable animals.

A couple of other things, I don't sell many hog only hunts, but 200/person doesn't seem all that much out of line. Really just 50 bucks off the average as I see it. Considering the gas/diesel and hotels etc these guys spent $ on, the difference is a small % of their total cost. Amazes me that people will drive that far to hunt such an inexpensive animal. But I know they do, had 3 hunters who drove from Wyoming to do it last year.

Question, did he promise a kill? There's no way I'd do that, or would expect any outfitter to do that. Sounds to me like the promise of installed hog lights are your biggest complaint. And it seems he did provide the gun lights.

To me, if he didn't promise a kill you should (as others have said) chalk it up to experience. And it seems like sniper rab has an outfitter for you and your friends in the future.

And also, to me, stating that you are going to "out" him/her if they don't "make it right", fits the classic definition of extortion.

I just don't see a win here.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6133924 01/13/16 05:44 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Rancher,

You put two paying hunters in the same blind? And say you have hog lights but don't and most of the hunt is at night?? What am I missing except this sounds rediculous to me to charge $150 a person for this. Maybe $50 each for broken equipment and 2 guns in one stand. I hunt right by there for over 10 years and I can assure you, there is no way to hunt blinds that close to each other and have 2 hunters in a stand to come close to being successful on hogs. Maybe 1 hog would be taken total between all 6 guys. Game cams can easily be used predict if hogs are coming in and their numbers.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: therancher] #6133988 01/13/16 06:45 PM
D
DuckKiller2010 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: DuckKiller2010
I asked questions. Motion lights were supposed to be there. They weren't even present from what I could tell on any of the blinds. We did have a good 2 hours of daylight hunting but after that it was a joke. Not going to name him just yet. Got to give folks a chance to make right. And if he does make right I will let everyone know that too

I've read all the posts, and as an owner/outfitter I'm glad you didn't come here to hunt. Not saying that to bust your huevos at all, it's just that my hogs aren't "pull a string and they show up" animals. Other than aoudads and eland they are my most unpredictable animals.

A couple of other things, I don't sell many hog only hunts, but 200/person doesn't seem all that much out of line. Really just 50 bucks off the average as I see it. Considering the gas/diesel and hotels etc these guys spent $ on, the difference is a small % of their total cost. Amazes me that people will drive that far to hunt such an inexpensive animal. But I know they do, had 3 hunters who drove from Wyoming to do it last year.

Question, did he promise a kill? There's no way I'd do that, or would expect any outfitter to do that. Sounds to me like the promise of installed hog lights are your biggest complaint. And it seems he did provide the gun lights.

To me, if he didn't promise a kill you should (as others have said) chalk it up to experience. And it seems like sniper rab has an outfitter for you and your friends in the future.

And also, to me, stating that you are going to "out" him/her if they don't "make it right", fits the classic definition of extortion.

I just don't see a win here.

First off, I've never hired a guide in my life until now. Only reason I did was I had 6 days to prepare to try and get them a hog.

Second, you didn't read my post evidently. I know it is hunting. My complaint was about being dropped off at a feeder which was supposed to have motion lights and properly functioning timers that spun for more than a half a second. And when you ask the little courier about the function of the equipment and you get a "huh," there is something f'ed about that.

Also, when you pay that much money, you would think they had done their scouting before hand and would drop you off at a feeder that did have some sign such as rooting or tracks. There was one pig track that I could see amongst hundreds of deer tracks. Seemed to me like they just dropped me off at the most convenient spot to them and didn't scout a whole lot before hand.

Now the guy that is a friend of mine who didn't charge us one penny, he had us on them all day and night the next day. He did his homework and his equipment functioned.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6134026 01/13/16 07:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
If the hunt was a night hunt (mostly) and the motion lights were inoperable or non-existent, it was a ripoff plain and simple.

No defense for ripoff artists.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6134042 01/13/16 07:33 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The outfitter didn't fulfill his side of the agreement by failing to maintain the hog lights and apparently the feeders. Out him.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6134107 01/13/16 08:27 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Chalk it up as a loss and do an honest review of your experience.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: SniperRAB] #6134109 01/13/16 08:28 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Is it in Cross Plains

Why because I said NO

"Hand" A word I use to describe my help when I was on tools. Mostly use that term when they didn't even make 1/2 a good hand roflmao

Last edited by titan2232; 01/13/16 08:28 PM.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6134116 01/13/16 08:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
If the hunt was a night hunt (mostly) and the motion lights were inoperable or non-existent, it was a ripoff plain and simple.

No defense for ripoff artists.

I said if he promised motion lights he has a legit complaint for that, but, he provided rifle lights, so that does make night hunting possible.

Not defending the outfitter at all.

And to whoever else said "would you put 2 hunters in a blind", I do that quite often for pigs and does. Works out pretty well as there are multiples at feeders when they come, and I usually know a feeder that has pigs coming.

I don't do a lot of pig only and especially not many night hunts. Too many people will shoot eyes and some of those are expensive eyes.

Ido believe the thread author should have looked for a place like sniper rab mentioned.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6134141 01/13/16 09:03 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
You are right about shooting eyes! Lmao. My buddy has a high fence place and just last week a guy shot a chocolate fallow doe at night. From a blind with a light. The worst part is he head shot it. Said he thought it was a tall hog. He paid for his mistake. Kinda funny but can make a bunt get expensive quick.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: TAT] #6134348 01/13/16 11:49 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: TAT
You are right about shooting eyes! Lmao. My buddy has a high fence place and just last week a guy shot a chocolate fallow doe at night. From a blind with a light. The worst part is he head shot it. Said he thought it was a tall hog. He paid for his mistake. Kinda funny but can make a bunt get expensive quick.

Imagine if it had been an expensive animal...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6134357 01/13/16 11:53 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ouch. hammer

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: therancher] #6134374 01/14/16 12:10 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

I mostly shoot Kudu and Sable at night

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6134383 01/14/16 12:19 AM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Ha it could have been a lot worse. Usually hog hunters aren't prepaired to spend thousands. Not saying they can't just from what I've seen they normally bring enough to just pay for the hogs.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: sparrish8] #6134396 01/14/16 12:28 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: sparrish8

I mostly shoot Kudu and Sable at night

Only time I can afford to as well...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: Toxarch] #6135756 01/14/16 08:18 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Chalk it up as a loss and do an honest review of your experience.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: HoldPoint] #6136425 01/15/16 02:41 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: HoldPoint
Surprised you didn't get an offer to come back for free - well, not totally surprised but for that much I would have hoped that would be the case. Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Pretty sure I know exactly who you hunted with.

I dont guid for deer or hogs but for fish if my customers pay me 350$ for the day and dot go home with more then 30 catfish i either give them there money back mines 40$ for fule depending on lake or offer a free trip when every they want i just feel like as a guid i am responsible to give them there moneys worth i cant make the fish bit that day but i can make sure your happy and come agin happy customer refer there friends i went from doing 2 trips week advertising on craigslist to already being booked for spring in one year 90% is referrals if i were the poster i wold put the name up so other no to avoid them I i pay that kind of mony i would expect a guid to do what he can put me on game or discount it or offer for us to come back it does not cost him anything

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6136638 01/15/16 06:24 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Waiting... Is this guide busy with celebrities? Understand things come up but post if they made it right for you. I have been on a guided fishing trip and caught nothing and came back on their dime and slayed them. Same thing on another trip. They received very good tips worth as much as the trip. Hog hunting costs them a bag of corn. Fishing guides spend much more than that in fuel alone.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: Txduckman] #6136719 01/15/16 01:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Waiting... Is this guide busy with celebrities? Understand things come up but post if they made it right for you. I have been on a guided fishing trip and caught nothing and came back on their dime and slayed them. Same thing on another trip. They received very good tips worth as much as the trip. Hog hunting costs them a bag of corn. Fishing guides spend much more than that in fuel alone.

Wow. I guess that's one reason why folks are confused. Hog hunting costs me a ton more than a bag of corn. If you are specifically hunting hogs or any other bargain basement animal you are occupying a spot on my ranch and in my schedule that someone could be hunting high dollar animals from.

That's why I hardly ever do hog only hunts. I typically just let my trophy hunters shoot a hog or three for free. With the understanding I don't clean hogs.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: therancher] #6136780 01/15/16 01:47 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Wow. I guess that's one reason why folks are confused. Hog hunting costs me a ton more than a bag of corn. If you are specifically hunting hogs or any other bargain basement animal you are occupying a spot on my ranch and in my schedule that someone could be hunting high dollar animals from.

That's why I hardly ever do hog only hunts. I typically just let my trophy hunters shoot a hog or three for free. With the understanding I don't clean hogs.

rofl

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6136969 01/15/16 03:38 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Deer season was closed up here. There are no exotics. Blinds/feeders sitting idle doesn't pay the bills. Putting a bag of corn in a feeder is all we do and we have hogs. Pull a game card. Pretty darn simple. Charge extra to clean a hog. This guy has several guides working for him. The kids/guides should be able to do that if they want to get paid.

Re: Poor Guide Service [Re: DuckKiller2010] #6136984 01/15/16 03:44 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yeah if you advertise a hog hunt operation and can't put a guy on a hog in TX, you ain't much punkin....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide