Print Thread
help with coyotes #6129764 01/11/16 04:10 AM
C
Cslate Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I need some help/advice. I've been granted some access to land around the town that I just moved to this summer. Well I built a calling rack this summer and have been working on it off and on the past few months and finally got it done so I wanted to take it out and give it a test spin. Last night when we pulled onto the place and got out to mount the call and speaker and get guns ready the coyotes started screaming. So we made a call right there. I won't go into that call much. Anyways went to the back side of the place made a call and shot twice missed a fox and smoked a fox. Pretty good stand. There is one more call on this place so we went there and set up with the wind in our face. I started out with about 2 minutes of hand calling, muted the call for about a minute and switched to cage cotton tail for 10 minutes. Nothing showed so I muted again for about 2 minutes and put on cranky male cardinal after about 3 minutes we had a coyote start howling in the middle of the property. Sounded like he was less than 200 yds away. I let out coyote locator muted. Coyote duet for a couple minutes muted, lone howl, muted, coyote pup distress 3. He answered the duet but never would come in. This happens quite often to me get the coyotes answering but very seldom get them to come in. The people that are letting me hunt are letting me on to kill the coyotes because they are getting into livestock. What do I need to do to get them to commit and come in?

I live in brownwood, tx in central texas. If that helps or changes anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Re: help with coyotes [Re: Cslate] #6129802 01/11/16 05:07 AM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
First, did you happen to hear one barking right before the "screaming"?

If so, he's on to you. If a coyote busts you they will let out a warning bark and the others will respond sounding much like coyote locator on your caller.

Also, I never use locator unless a helicopter is overhead. Most locator calls have a warning bark in them.

This time of year, start with a challenge call, male howl. Once they respond, continue that just a couple more howls then go to joy of the hunt, or coyote pair. At this point you should be able to tell if you hooked him and he's coming in. As soon as that is done switch to a distress call.

If the land owner has allowed you on the place, it may be safe to assume he has allowed others or at the very least called some himself. If he doesn't live in close proximity to where you're calling, the coyotes are keen to the game. A study was done where a group of coyotes were gps collared and turned loose in a high fence pasture. When the trapper went in occasionally the coyotes would run to the highest location in the pasture. When the routine was changed and he went in everyday they became accustomed to it and stayed down around where he was working. I say all this to say you may be working some wise yotes.

Re: help with coyotes [Re: Cslate] #6129822 01/11/16 05:50 AM
C
Cslate Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
It was really more of a howl than anything barks and howls...thanks for the info. That's what I'll do next time.

Re: help with coyotes [Re: Cslate] #6129894 01/11/16 12:22 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
100% agree with DesertHunting, You either showed your hand, but more likely, they have been half azzed called too before. Those yotes are educated. IMO, if you want yotes, you have to pass on the easy fox, kill them AFTER you have taken out the coyotes, shooting those fox announced to every yote what was up for sure.

IMO, driving in a vehicle to call them now, is a waste of time, unless a dumb straggler is passing through. Other than trapping now, walking in and doing a few sets, may get you into one. AND use the most off the wall sound you have, those yotes now have graduate degrees.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: help with coyotes [Re: Cslate] #6130324 01/11/16 05:07 PM
H
hornet527 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
most of the time at night, if theyre talkin-they aint walkin. go back in the daylight

Re: help with coyotes [Re: Cslate] #6130382 01/11/16 05:37 PM
C
cp50948 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
This is what I do on most sets at night:
Get into spot as quite as possible with least amount of light as possible
1. make sure everything is loaded and prepared quietly.
2. wait a couple minutes before calling.
3. quick scan for eyes before calling (i have actually gotten out of truck, in rack, scanned and had a coyote less than 50 yrds away)
4. I use both hand and e callers. This time of year coyotes are pairing up or looking for food in bad weather.
5. I start distress call then move to vocals. I prefer not to use locator. I use single vocals or distress.
When you do see eyes I keep light on them but not directly.(My reasoning is a light that is still will look like a house or machinery etc. moving means danger, car or person)
Works well for me most of the time. But I have also been skunked many times.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide