Print Thread
Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? #6033315 11/16/15 11:53 PM
V
vonfilm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
V
I understand that one can get a permit to hunt one of the Big Thicket National Preserve Units if you show up with your hunting license at the Visitor Center in Kountze. It sounds like there are only so many permits per unit and you can only hunt one unit a year. I guess that you can come back multiple times a season to hunt the same unit.

I would love to hear of experiences in the different units.

Last edited by vonfilm; 11/16/15 11:54 PM.
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6034781 11/17/15 05:05 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
confused2 tis sure thar be some... First time heard bout it... people scared ta share.... Given many an invite ta OSBWMA for hog hunt.... Can't say i blame em.... Keep notes on most of my hunts, all that says tis what seen at that paticular time & place... Don't mean person gonna walk out thar & see any thing... Lots of variations on each hunt... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6035557 11/17/15 11:03 PM
V
vonfilm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
V
I called the BTNP today and he said that after the regular season is over a permit holder can hunt in any unit for hogs until the end of February.

I would love to hear of everyone's BTNP hunting stories. Their representitive told me many bucks and hogs are taken every year. Also there are squirrels, rabits, and waterfowl.

Hunters can use shotguns,bow and arrow for deer and hogs and rimfires for small game.

This might be a good place to use the Deerslayer slug barrel on my Ithaca 37.

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6045836 11/23/15 10:57 PM
V
vonfilm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
V
Last night I installed the Deerslayer barrel on my Ithaca Model 37. Wow, that was quick and easy.

I would still love to hear some of your experiences from BTNP. Surely someone has hunted there.

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6100861 12/25/15 06:39 AM
1100aggie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
vonfilm,
I just found out about Big Thicket this season and got a permit from the visitor center back in August. I am starting out squirrel hunting to get to know the area. I am hunting Lance Rosier. You can get a Hunter Harvest sheet from the visitor center to show what was taken in each area based on returned surveys. If a hunter does not return a survey then they can not get a permit next season.

I have made 2 trips thus far and taken 6 grey squirrels. I have actually never seriously hunted squirrels but I figured it would be a good way to learn the area.

Couple observations:
1. Be very careful b/c not all hunters are properly wearing hunter orange while walking per the rules
2. Know the rules and Do NOT let the "locals" push you around

I had an encounter that I thought was a pleasant conversation until the guy started making sarcastic comments such as "oh you drove all that way just to shoot tree rats". On top of that they were even cocky enough to say you can not even be in the hunt area after sun down. They had their own lame excuse as to why they happen to be. Bottom line is yes you can, obviously. You can setup in your tree stand at 3am if you darn well please so long as you abide by State game laws.

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: 1100aggie] #6101472 12/25/15 07:08 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers ta 1100aggie ... Tis the muyloco of the OSBWMA... WMA. Tis open ta Public... Hunters usedta be the eyes & ears of the woods... Didn't mind filling out the cards of what seen... With the game cams last few years they can get some what idea... Had 4 cams set up hear at house, yet still reley on pudding ons foot in front of the other, cheaking felt tracks, scraps, rubs, droppings, beds, & such.. Cam only covers small area... Deer & hogs learn ta pattern... As pappy says: that's thar neck of the woods, dining room, living room & such... Every hunter tis different, have had some tell me hunting at wrong time, getting their too late.. After discussing, parked truck, eased to spot, hung stand, & deer run right under stand... bang if wouldn't have stomped ta talk, would been perfect timing... Can't complain, i blew it... My walk-a-bouts during hog only hunts, carry small pocket note pad & pen ta write down info & GPS cordanence of place seen, & later put info on my TOPO USA... Best Wishes & Merry Christmas . flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6102033 12/26/15 03:17 AM
1100aggie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
colt.45,
That is the plan and you are spot on. Feet on the ground and GPS in hand all the way and taking notes. Chasing tree rats just helps to pass the time, which I am actually starting to enjoy. It's pretty fun to blast a squirrel jumping among the tall canopy of pine and water oaks. Actually have to lead them like shooting doves. Of course I eat everything I shoot. food

I see this as a never ending learning experience as this particular unit is 21,000 acres of very dense woods. Lots of interesting history in the area including old cemeteries. Folks will try to scare you away with all the hogwash about the "Lights of Saratoga" (opposite side anyway down Ghost Road), haunted cemeteries, Big Foot, and whatever else they come up with. It is a National Preserve for the public tax payers to enjoy, and enjoy we shall!! grin

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6102154 12/26/15 05:31 AM
1100aggie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot

Almost forgot...Thank you colt.45 and Merry Christmas to you too!

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6102515 12/26/15 05:10 PM
1100aggie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Addition since I can no longer edit the original post...

You can setup in your tree stand at 3am if you darn well please so long as you abide by State game laws AND the National Park Rules of no actual hunting 30min before sunrise or 30min after sunset. This applies to hogs as well, so no night hunting w/ lights. Of course with a long hike this can become a grey area open to interpretation, so I suggest weapons unloaded and arrows in the quiver while walking to your spot in the dark.

And no, you can not head to your spot right After sundown and claim you are going to sleep to stay the night b/c camping is not allowed during hunting season. Another subjective rule that makes it interesting as far as the "correct" time to head out. That said, good luck talking yourself out of a ticket if you are "heading to your spot" while carrying a red/green flashlight strong enough to be a spotlight.

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: 1100aggie] #6102762 12/26/15 08:57 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
My ta go to place for hog hunts been OSBWMA... Have parked several times behind the no vechicals beyond this point signs... Never had troubles, if was too wet, & thought might get stuck, parked in the parking areas... i call the WMA hunts, the poormans hunt For $48.00 permit. can't beat price, down part is drag or back pac if ya do get something... Used ta be son & i hunts, wife & daughter both find hunts also... Mostly huntsolo a friend down road tis on one of old leases, he invested in it, last year got invite cheers twas cool ta see old lease... Have been 2-3 miles back on hog hunts when sun goes down... Cut threw woods in dark, no flashlight, listening ta movement & sounds of the night.. It can be lot faster than walking old ATV trails... Gun on safety... Been hunting with me pistal on hip slinger been told you can't do that.. It says all legal means.. i hit some thick stuff, & pistal works best... Stay Safe, Best Wishes, That thar one thread, in different section make ya think.. So don't mind wearing the orange in thick stuff, tis disadvantage, hogs see that orange blob moving, rofl gotta keep your eyes Roman for movement... Limit range on my shots... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6127314 01/09/16 08:49 PM
V
vonfilm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
V
1100aggie,
Thanks for sharing your experience at the BTNP. Has anyone else hunted there?

Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6129328 01/11/16 12:27 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
were abouts is the Big Thicket National Preserve ? Had heard talk of Big Thicket in Wood county when had a lease their in Wood Co. Just not sure of location... best way tis as pappy say's: pudding one foot in front of the other... Worked good for me... Best Wishes... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: 1860.colt] #6133867 01/13/16 05:15 PM
V
vonfilm Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
V
Originally Posted By: colt.45
were abouts is the Big Thicket National Preserve ? Had heard talk of Big Thicket in Wood county when had a lease their in Wood Co. Just not sure of location... best way tis as pappy say's: pudding one foot in front of the other... Worked good for me... Best Wishes... flag

The Big Thicket National Preserve has units in Hardin, Liberty,Tyler,Sam Jacinto, and Polk counties. Units that allow hunting are Big Sandy Creek, Lance Rosier, Beaumont, Beech Creek, Jack Gore Baygall, and Neches Bottom.

Its headquarters are located in Kountze.

Last edited by vonfilm; 01/13/16 10:40 PM.
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6134102 01/13/16 08:21 PM
1100aggie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
More than likely there are others on here but as with most public land, sharing info. is far and few between. Maybe check out other online forums such as Texas Bow Hunter.

Old thread from 2013....
Link

Someone had a good write up on here about it. May have been the Deer Hunting section. No secrets revealed but just how to be prepared.

Become very familiar with this...
Hunting Rules

...and this.
Superintendents Compendium FY14

I actually may have to eat my earlier words b/c I believe it states in the Compendium that you cannot be in the hunt area any earlier than 1hr before sunrise or later than 1hr after sunset. However, I was on one of the main unit roads more than 1hr after sunset and there were several trucks still driving in. Into an area that is a dead end in fact. Maybe they were just picking up a buddy.

It is the learning curve and challenge that makes public hunting interesting, at least for me. It is a marathon and not a sprint. So like colt .45 said, get out there and hoof it!

Last edited by 1100aggie; 01/13/16 09:29 PM.
Re: Anyone Hunt in the Big Thicket National Preserve ? [Re: vonfilm] #6149076 01/22/16 06:59 PM
N
Nivlac Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I hunt there. Some of the other units are actually better suited for hunting but I choose Lance Rosier because I grew up there in Saratoga. In fact my grandparents previously lived on land that is now part of the unit. There used to be several homes out in those woods, but its all grown up now. If you look closely though you will still see signs of previous occupation...such as old fences, stock ponds, broken dishes, domestic plants, etc. Anyways...the problem is that since the forest vegetation is so thick you really cant access much, and it doesn't take long for the easy to reach areas to get crowded with other hunters. Your best bet for the lance rosier unit is to get on those pipelines and walk down a few miles. Wildlife is there but the critters usually go pretty deep into the woods once hunting season gets going and all the city folks start stomping around. PLEASE take a compass if you are going to wade into those woods. Oh...and scary/weird stuff has happened out there for real...but its rare.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide