Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6129967 01/11/16 01:49 PM
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
nav, that's somewhere along the lines of what I am going to try. I have a few options but thats is going to be my first.
to add weight. Ive tried it last month, a sorta practice run, looked promising.

Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6129990 01/11/16 01:56 PM
H
huntindude Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
H
rustler, My disc is very large and heavy. In honesty its only 5 foot wide, but I do believe the discs are notched and scalloped. I guess its not heavy enough considering it still just glides over the cut grass.

Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6130097 01/11/16 03:10 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
If clumps are a problem, why not mow it twice? Mow it once 3-4 weeks out and once that has dried it will mulch better when you mow it again, say about a week out?

If you're having a problem with the disc cutting and the additional weight doesn't help that much, then you might need to chisel the area first, then try the disc. A chisel plow will break the ground up and allow the disc to get a much better bite.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: disc angles. [Re: jeffbird] #6130143 01/11/16 03:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Everything causes cancer, use the Roundup. You're not going to poison yourself spraying out a couple acres, even a couple hundred. If it really caused cancer, there would be no old farmers. We spray before we mow, to give the spray more coverage area to adhere to. Tends to help on some of the more stubborn growth.

That is incorrect. 118 agents have been identified to cause cancer, and 75 moved into the probable carcinogen category by IARC. Using that logic, there are old farmers, so they are never killed by farm equipment or die in car wrecks either? It is all about increasing the relative risk. Not everyone who smokes cigarettes develops cancer, but their risk is significantly increased compared to a non-smoker. Same with certain other exposures.

From the National Cancer Institute:

"What are some of the cancer trends among farmers?

Farmers in many countries, including the United States, have lower overall death rates and cancer rates than the general population. Lower death rates among farmers for heart disease and cancers of the lung, esophagus, bladder, and colon, in particular, are thought to be due, at least in part, to lower smoking rates, as well as more physically active lifestyles and dietary factors.

However, compared with the general population, the rates for certain diseases, including some types of cancer, appear to be higher among agricultural workers, which may be related to exposures that are common in their work environments. For example, farming communities have higher rates of leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and soft tissue sarcoma, as well as cancers of the skin, lip, stomach, brain, and prostate."

For example, a study from the AHS reported in 2009 that people who use the weed killer imazethapyr have increased risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Imazethapyr is in a class of chemicals known as aromatic amines. It was first used in the United States in 1989, and, since then, has been one of the most commonly used herbicides for killing weeds in soybean, dry bean, alfalfa, and other crop fields.

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/ahs-fact-sheet

You want the good or bad news?

Bad news is virtually every farmer in the US uses round up or similar herbicide, so if your theory holds true we won't have any more farmers soon.....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6130151 01/11/16 03:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: huntindude
the main reason for this post was to find a solution in removing all the cut grass/vegetation clumps after I mow. I use 45hp tractor with a disk. Have the power, but the disk just doesnt do anything to the clumps of shredded grass/vegetation. I often find myself with a rake in my hand. Plenty of experience doing a controlled burn, but the area is surrounded by thick amazon type jungle. But I guess thats what Im going to do. If you hear about a forest fire in friday, Texas in October, that would be me.
thanks for all suggestions.

Mow and burn.

You will have to use a breaking plow if you don't. Not sure you what to push that tractor that hard.

I'd add more weight to the disc after mowing and burning.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6130215 01/11/16 04:10 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If the soil is compacted, doesn’t have the right moisture and is covered with thick sod, sounds like you need to rent or borrow a chisel or moldboard plow.
IMO, burning is always a good idea if you can. Not worth it if you have no way to control / contain the fire.

A disc is not considered an initial ground breaking implement and it isn’t a finishing implement.
Sure a lot of people use them for both, those folks like to burn fuel, tear up equipment and drive a tractor around in a field over and over & over.
Or they’re using them in soft or pre broken soils.

Go over the area with a chisel or moldboard plow, now disk, then run a heavy spike tooth chain harrow over it to break up any remaining clods and rake off any remaining debris.
Turn it over go over the area one more time and you'll have a finished seed bed.
Now let it sit to settle & naturally compact or run a cultipacker over it, ready to plant.

Just me, before my last pass I put down a heavy application of fertilizer and any soil amendments the soil samples call for.
I set my disc to go no more than 4” deep and pull the chain harrow behind the disc.

Using the right tools for the job will result in less torn up equipment, less fuel, less time, fewer passes, less frustration and a better finished product.

I'm not a fan of adding weight to a disc, over the last 40+ years Ive found it just tears up the disc faster.
If I was going to add weight the only thing I would use is rail road track, it weighs between 36 lbs per foot to 46 lbs per foot.
Low profile, can still see your discs work and keep an eye on the disc's, bearings, bolts, gang mounts ~ you know all the stuff you're gonna tear up by adding weigh to a disc and using it for initial ground breaking in tough soils.

Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6130769 01/11/16 09:11 PM
K
kweber Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K

Re: disc angles. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6130867 01/11/16 10:05 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Everything causes cancer, use the Roundup. You're not going to poison yourself spraying out a couple acres, even a couple hundred. If it really caused cancer, there would be no old farmers. We spray before we mow, to give the spray more coverage area to adhere to. Tends to help on some of the more stubborn growth.

That is incorrect. 118 agents have been identified to cause cancer, and 75 moved into the probable carcinogen category by IARC. Using that logic, there are old farmers, so they are never killed by farm equipment or die in car wrecks either? It is all about increasing the relative risk. Not everyone who smokes cigarettes develops cancer, but their risk is significantly increased compared to a non-smoker. Same with certain other exposures.

Farmers in many countries, including the United States, have lower overall death rates and cancer rates than the general population. Lower death rates among farmers for heart disease and cancers of the lung, esophagus, bladder, and colon, in particular, are thought to be due, at least in part, to lower smoking rates, as well as more physically active lifestyles and dietary factors.

However, compared with the general population, the rates for certain diseases, including some types of cancer, appear to be higher among agricultural workers, which may be related to exposures that are common in their work environments. For example, farming communities have higher rates of leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and soft tissue sarcoma, as well as cancers of the skin, lip, stomach, brain, and prostate."

For example, a study from the AHS reported in 2009 that people who use the weed killer imazethapyr have increased risks of bladder cancer and colon cancer. Imazethapyr is in a class of chemicals known as aromatic amines. It was first used in the United States in 1989, and, since then, has been one of the most commonly used herbicides for killing weeds in soybean, dry bean, alfalfa, and other crop fields.

Bad news is virtually every farmer in the US uses round up or similar herbicide, so if your theory holds true we won't have any more farmers soon.....

Bobo,

it is not my theory, but data gathered by epidemiologists about an emerging pattern of an excess of certain types of cancers in agricultural workers, and is not their only occupational risk.

In most analyses, farming and ranching rates in the 10 most dangerous jobs in the United States.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45kifl/americas-10-deadliest-jobs-2/

Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6134177 01/13/16 09:27 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Shred down then burn or spray then burn.

Re: disc angles. [Re: jeffbird] #6134302 01/13/16 11:08 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Skip the Roundup. It has been moved to "Probable Carcinogen" at this point including links to causing prostate and breast cancer, as well as leukemia. There is not a compelling need for this application. Maybe there are times and places it is needed, but having fun making food plots for deer is not a must have situation.

https://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/MonographVolume112.pdf

this, I am not a tree hugger, but it is terrible for the environment.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6140252 01/17/16 10:45 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I did a field for the first time with an 75 year old pull behind non scalloped disk. It can be done but it took probably 7-8 passes.

Make America Great Again

Re: disc angles. [Re: jeffbird] #6143654 01/19/16 09:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Bobo,

it is not my theory, but data gathered by epidemiologists about an emerging pattern of an excess of certain types of cancers in agricultural workers, and is not their only occupational risk.

In most analyses, farming and ranching rates in the 10 most dangerous jobs in the United States.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45kifl/americas-10-deadliest-jobs-2/

Like I said if the theory holds true all our farmers will be dead soon. Glyphosate useage started in the 70's

Your article states #7 due to machinery not cancer. Also rates pilots as a more dangerous job.

Re: disc angles. [Re: huntindude] #6146504 01/21/16 04:21 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Adding weight is just adding to your mechanical problems. You either have the wrong equipment or need to wait for a rain....or both.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide