Forums46
Topics537,005
Posts9,719,363
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license #6121682 01/06/16 03:50 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
At least they're not putting up a 30.06 sign, not sure I'd go if I couldn't CC. This is the one place I would probably open carry. My wife and I hate how busy Walmart is we normally go do our biweekly grocery shopping late at night on weekends when almost no one is in there. But come on it is is Walmart there are always at least 1-15 sketchy [censored] people pursuing around inside or in the parking lot. Looks like Walmart will allow OC, but will stop you and ask for you license because they don't want to lose their liquor license.

I see ole CJ Grishim isn't happy about this. Isn't he the one that wanted constitution carry because he doesn't qualify for a CHL?

LINK TO STORY

Quote:
Managers at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Texas have a new task to add to their list of duties: asking customers if they have a permit to carry a handgun.

To comply with state liquor rules, the world’s biggest retailer sent a written notice last month to stores that sell alcohol, telling managers to ensure that customers who openly carry firearms under a new law have licenses. Cashiers or door greeters who see someone with a gun are to alert the highest-ranking employee, who is to approach the customer and ask to see the paperwork.

[Linked Image]

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6121860 01/06/16 05:08 PM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
and who is going to show their paperwork to a store employee?

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6121886 01/06/16 05:18 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Isn't a CHL carrier only required to show your CHL to LEO?

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6121887 01/06/16 05:18 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Only if he is wearing a badge will he see my LTC. Walmart is NOT the boss of me.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: ChadTRG42] #6121920 01/06/16 05:33 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Isn't a CHL carrier only required to show your CHL to LEO?

That is the way I read the law. Walmart going to have a lot of unhappy open carriers and a lot of unhappy anti-gun activist lol. Guessing they'll have a lot of people turn around at the door and leave.

[Linked Image]

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6121978 01/06/16 06:01 PM
T
Threelranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I will not show my LTC thats for dang sure but i only go there if i have to so i really could care less what they do .

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: luv2brode] #6122006 01/06/16 06:14 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: luv2brode

Any open carrier who wants to shop at their store and not receive verbal notification to leave.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6122060 01/06/16 06:35 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'd tell the manager or whoever questioned me to kick rocks. They have zero authority, but they can ask you to leave their store if you refuse, not that that's big loss.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: cyphertext] #6122074 01/06/16 06:45 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: cyphertext

Any open carrier who wants to shop at their store and not receive verbal notification to leave.

Man I hate Wal-Mart and it burns my tail to have to defend them, but if they are going to allow you the privilege of open caring on their property, and accept the liability for that action on there private property they have the wright to know your doing so legally. It takes little or no effort to concealed if you do not want to prove your legal.

In the last year or two they have had a concealed carrier shot and killed by her toddeler (who was playing with her purse) and as second concealed carrier killed when trying to stop an active shooter incident.

I am surprised that they are going to allow open carry at all after those two incidents.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Cast] #6122105 01/06/16 07:03 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Cast
Only if he is wearing a badge will he see my LTC. Walmart is NOT the boss of me.

When you (*not Cast specifically - the collective you) are in their store, aren't you* on their terms? If you* come in my house, you* are definitely there on my terms.

Not going after you, Cast, this is just the first thought I had after reading your comment and offering it for discussion.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: HuntnFly67] #6122111 01/06/16 07:09 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

When you (*not Cast specifically - the collective you) are in their store, aren't you* on their terms? If you* come in my house, you* are definitely there on my terms.

Not going after you, Cast, this is just the first thought I had after reading your comment and offering it for discussion.

I gotta agree here. I always ask my host if I can CC in their house before I come in. In retrospect, I think I would either show my LTC or politely turn and leave, depending on the circumstances. I figure WM can ask anybody to leave the store for any reason.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Cast] #6122131 01/06/16 07:21 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I gotta agree here. I always ask my host if I can CC in their house before I come in. In retrospect, I think I would either show my LTC or politely turn and leave, depending on the circumstances. I figure WM can ask anybody to leave the store for any reason.

But, you don't plan to open carry. They won't ask you.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Cast] #6122139 01/06/16 07:24 PM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L

absolutely and they can ask you to leave, by law the only one you are required to show your permit to is le so their choice is ak you to leave and loose revenue or let you stay. my revenue wouldnt matter and i would just leave. I dont ask permission to carry at others places but if told to leave i surely would, i would not go someplace where a persons right to carry is not supported. with that being said i soon have to do just that but it is an army base owned by the govt so to be expected.

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: bill oxner] #6122375 01/06/16 09:08 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

But, you don't plan to open carry. They won't ask you.

He is gonna wear his skinny jeans and just tell them he is carrying concealed.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6122876 01/07/16 01:08 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Ain't Gonna Happen...but I don't OC!

Carry On!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: rdhibbs] #6123115 01/07/16 03:13 AM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: rdhibbs

Man I hate Wal-Mart and it burns my tail to have to defend them, but if they are going to allow you the privilege of open caring on their property, and accept the liability for that action on there private property they have the wright to know your doing so legally. It takes little or no effort to concealed if you do not want to prove your legal.

In the last year or two they have had a concealed carrier shot and killed by her toddeler (who was playing with her purse) and as second concealed carrier killed when trying to stop an active shooter incident.

I am surprised that they are going to allow open carry at all after those two incidents.

I got to thinking about this after I made this post. I did a simple web search for Walmart Shootings and it appears that I made a grouse understatement on my first post.

I found a web site dedicated to nothing but shootings at Walmart. Now grant you that this guy is not trying to help Walmart out here, but he has spent a lot of time on this.

He has this broken down by the year starting in 2012 and for some reason stopped in late January 2015, starting in 2013 he has each occurrence listed separately with some detail of the incident.

His list includes all shots fired on Walmart Property (even bb guns) He includes all incidents including police shooting shoplifters, drug deals in the parking lot, concealed carry accidents, and even suicides in the parking lot. He does not include armed robbery and other events that involving fire arms but without firing at least one shot.

2012 53 shootings other information not listed
2013 83 Shootings, 24 killed, 42 injured 6 of the shootings in Texas.
2014 92 Shootings, 16 Killed, 42 injured 9 of the shootings in Texas.
2015 7 Shootings. 2 Killed, 5 injured 0 in of the shootings in Texas. (but the record stops at the end of Jan)

In a period of a little over 3 years Walmart has had at least 235 shootings, at least 42 people killed in the shootings, at least 89 injured in those shootings.

Further more according to the website Walmart is the largest fire arms and ammo retailer in the us, and may be the world.

In spite of the many issues Walmart has not made any effort to stop Concealed carry (even after some deadly accidents by concealed carriers) and they have not tried to stop open carry either. These incidents have happened from California and Florida to Alaska and at least one in Canada so it appears that their willingness to cooperate with gun owners is universal. Additionally according to the original post this policy only pertains to Texas Walmart's that sell alcohol, and that is in an attempt to abide by Texas Law.

I can see no way that they are out of line. I conceal carry in Walmart all time (twice since I got off work today) If I accidentally flash mine and get asked for my liens you can bet your bottom dollar I'll show it to them, and thank them for the privilege. soap

http://walmartshootings.blogspot.com/p/about-walmart-shooting-blog.html

[i][/i][u][/u]

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: rdhibbs] #6123601 01/07/16 03:09 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

What liability does a business hold by allowing someone to carry on their property?

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6123977 01/07/16 05:58 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
law suits from insentient people that have been shot. There have been several shot by accident, Concealed carriers reaching in their pocket and hitting the trigger, one dropped the fire arm out of his pocket and it discharged, One had her fire arm in her purse and her 2 year old stuck their hand in the purse grabbing the gun and shot and killed her mother, bad as that was it could have been some one else easy.

People sue for very frivolous reasons any more, why would any one think that a business would not be sued in a wrongful death case, or a peppermint disability caused by some one carelessly carrying on that businesses property.

Thank You
Robert

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: rdhibbs] #6124095 01/07/16 06:57 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
law suits from insentient people that have been shot. There have been several shot by accident, Concealed carriers reaching in their pocket and hitting the trigger, one dropped the fire arm out of his pocket and it discharged, One had her fire arm in her purse and her 2 year old stuck their hand in the purse grabbing the gun and shot and killed her mother, bad as that was it could have been some one else easy.

People sue for very frivolous reasons any more, why would any one think that a business would not be sued in a wrongful death case, or a peppermint disability caused by some one carelessly carrying on that businesses property.

So have these suits actually happened or are these hypothetical situations. I only ask because I can't find anything about a business being sued because someone who was lawfully carrying was negligent with their firearm. Is someone going to sue the government when someone discharges a CHL in the capital on accident?

Last edited by rexmitchell; 01/07/16 06:57 PM.
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: krmitchell] #6124366 01/07/16 09:21 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

So have these suits actually happened or are these hypothetical situations. I only ask because I can't find anything about a business being sued because someone who was lawfully carrying was negligent with their firearm. Is someone going to sue the government when someone discharges a CHL in the capital on accident?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30507300
http://www.kwoklaw.com/kwok-files-lawsuit-in-wal-mart-shooting-death/
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news...-walmart/njSqh/
I found these in about 2 or 3 minutes with a simple web search

Individuals and company's are responsible and liable for what happens on there property.

Thank You
Robert

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6124615 01/08/16 12:30 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Anyone have any stats on crimes, bodily harm, or lives saved because of legal guns in Walmart?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6124673 01/08/16 01:03 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's not really an issue of liability, they are concerned about their TABC license. If they knowingly allow someone to carry an unlicensed firearm on their property, their license could be suspended or revoked. I do think they're being overly cautious, but it's their license and their right. I can't believe they're getting hammered when they're saying people can carry open in their stores, they just want to verify the person has a license. I would be surprised if other retailers who sell alcohol don't follow suit. If they pay attention to the response to Walmart they'll probably just post 30.07 signs and be done with it.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: bill oxner] #6124713 01/08/16 01:27 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Anyone have any stats on crimes, bodily harm, or lives saved because of legal guns in Walmart?

Would that be like asking about how many people were saved by law abiding citizens with concealed weapons in gun free zones?

Marc

Last edited by Marc Kurth; 01/08/16 01:28 AM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6125120 01/08/16 12:01 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I highly doubt any person at WalMart is going to ask to see a license for a OC. This is just posted so Wal Mart can CYA.

Are they gonna get in the parking lot and make drivers show their DL.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: rdhibbs] #6125375 01/08/16 02:55 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30507300
http://www.kwoklaw.com/kwok-files-lawsuit-in-wal-mart-shooting-death/
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news...-walmart/njSqh/
I found these in about 2 or 3 minutes with a simple web search

Individuals and company's are responsible and liable for what happens on there property.

2 of those are police shootings and the other was by some thug outside the store. Like I said, find me a lawsuit because someone was legally concealed carrying. Walmart isn't going to be held liable for someone who was legally carrying in their store, this is something that is allowed by law.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide