6248242 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6121818 - 01/06/16 10:51 AM Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Katy, Tx
Let's see your badass duck and rabbit gumbo recipes.
I can make a mean seafood gumbo, but haven't made any other kind of gumbo before. Should roux be a deep dark roux, unlike the more lite roux for seafood gumbo?

#6121825 - 01/06/16 10:53 AM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Unlike many people that use regular oil or butter to make roux, I use bacon grease, it's awsome

#6121852 - 01/06/16 11:05 AM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Go to your new Kroger and get a pint of this.

Go to Midway grocery and get a link of their 50/50 sausage.

Bone out your game and boil with chicken bullion, onions and celery. Add most of the pint of roux along with a half teaspoon cayenne. It takes about 30 minutes. Serve over rice. You can add onion tops or tender celery leaves.

#6121969 - 01/06/16 11:57 AM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: In the yak
Make dat roux dark

#6122291 - 01/06/16 02:33 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: bill oxner]
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Bone out your game and boil with chicken bullion, onions and celery. Add most of the pint of roux along with a half teaspoon cayenne. It takes about 30 minutes. Serve over rice. You can add onion tops or tender celery leaves.

Been scared to buy pre made roux, really like mine. My uncle that was a shrimp boat captain in Louisiana showed me how he makes roux and the rest of his seafood gumbo recipe. I've made my seafood gumbo using blonde, dark and in between roux's all excellent. Planned on using andouie sausage when I make it.

#6122684 - 01/06/16 05:21 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
I like dark roux in all of my gumbos. I only use a blonde roux in a sauce piquant. I keep a jar of the store bought stuff just in case, but always make my own cause it's way mo betta. I make all of my gumbos the same except for the stock and whatever meat I'm putting in. Making seafood gumbo, I boil my heads & shells to make a stock because the flavor is awesome. I have not yet made duck or rabbit stock, I just always use chicken stock/broth from the store.
Like mentioned, everything else is the same.

1) I start with a good quality smoked pork sausage (makes a huge difference IMO, I prefer my own), in my big pot I brown that a little and set aside. I like to add bacon sometimes too. Add some real butter and cook down 1 large yellow onion nice & dark like but don't burn. Set aside.

2) Make a roux. When roux is about there I add the caramelized onions back in, add the trinity (celery/bell pepper/onions) with my okra. Keep stirring until the veggies are sweating and the okra slime is gone. then I add my tomato paste and toast that up a little till it's nice and thick.

3) Add your stock, stir, let simmer for a while. Then I add my de-boned meat (I like to season & brown beforehand). Let that simmer for a while and add my smoked sausage back. Let that simmer while I'm cooking the rice. When I start the rice I start to season my gumbo. All ingredients are in the pot before I season at the end. If I need more roux, then I will add some of the store bought stuff.

Pour over rice and add some French bread or tater salad if you like. Hmnnnn. Love gumbo.

#6122969 - 01/06/16 07:56 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
bigbob_ftw Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: White Settlement, TX.
Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac

Been scared to buy pre made roux, really like mine. My uncle that was a shrimp boat captain in Louisiana showed me how he makes roux and the rest of his seafood gumbo recipe. I've made my seafood gumbo using blonde, dark and in between roux's all excellent. Planned on using andouie sausage when I make it.

It's good, but I feel dirty using it. Prefer to make my own.

#6123113 - 01/06/16 09:11 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: bigbob_ftw]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted By: whitewing maniac

It's good, but I feel dirty using it. Prefer to make my own.

Yea, it's cheating a little, but that's what I use too. Saves a ton of time.
Last time I made gumbo, I wanted to cut some calories so I tried using a dry roux. All you do is spread some dry flour on a cookie sheet and toast it in the oven until it's light brown. Then you use it to thicken up the gumbo. It actually came out really good with almost half the calories.

#6123272 - 01/06/16 10:27 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Gumbo Link from THF Waterfowl forum

Some good ones in that link, the second post there is to an older gumbo thread

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6123279 - 01/06/16 10:31 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Ain't never put corn in gumbo scratch hmn

#6123649 - 01/07/16 09:36 AM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
Tres Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Houston
I'd go dark on the roux. Save your duck and rabbit carcasses if you have them and blast them in the oven with veggies for a stock.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."

#6124030 - 01/07/16 12:19 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

That looks awesome!

#6124078 - 01/07/16 12:48 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Yep, looks great.

#6124564 - 01/07/16 05:40 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: whitewing maniac]
Tres Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Houston
Thanks, need to get out and get some ducks so I can make more.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."

#6127316 - 01/09/16 02:50 PM Re: Duck and rabbit gumbo recipe ideas needed [Re: skinnerback]
whitewing maniac Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Oh yea, love me some gumbo. Boiling heads and shells is a must for me. Plus using wid caught shrimp is just more flavorful than the farm raised IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide