6238765 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6121796 - 01/06/16 10:43 AM New mexico draw question
Nitro27 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Terrell,TX
I am looking to put in for the 2016 elk draw in New Mexico.
This is the first time I will be entering and am looking for some advice.
I know what section my first choice is but need help with the second and third.
I want to hunt with a rifle or muzzle loader and want an ES tag. What sections / weapon should i select for my second a third choice? The way I understand it the higher the success rate the lower my chances are of drawing. Which section and weapon would give me the best chance at drawing with a decent chance of me getting a chance at a Bull.

#6121811 - 01/06/16 10:48 AM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Not really success rate as it is quality potential.

Don't over look the 4th option if you just want to hunt elk bull or cow. Some surprises there every now and then.

ML and Archery are becoming the most coveted tags in that order. Later season rifle tags are usually the least coveted. NM doesn't have a huge high country migration like CO.

Print of the overall draw odds per unit/hunt and study it hard. Then cross reference those units via the web.

#6121814 - 01/06/16 10:49 AM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
Erny Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Smith County
You can do the research using sources such as hunting fool or Eastmans. New Mexico draw system heavenly favors residents and non residents that apply with an outfitter. To draw a decent unit in New Mexico for a non resident without an outfitter is about 10 to one. For a really great unit it's 100s to one.

#6121815 - 01/06/16 10:49 AM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
BarneyWho Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Drawing is pretty easy. I'm 2 for 3. grin

#6121821 - 01/06/16 10:52 AM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: BarneyWho]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Drawing is pretty easy. I'm 2 for 3. grin

Loco. Should of bought a lottery ticket second year you drew the gila

#6121833 - 01/06/16 10:56 AM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
Nitro27 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Terrell,TX
Ok thanks that helps me a little i wouldn't have thought that ML would be that popular . I will rule that out then. rifle is really how i want my first elk hunt anyway.

#6121877 - 01/06/16 11:14 AM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
Texasteach Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Ector County
Look at the draw odds. Put your first choice, then if you want to hunt, list areas (Muzzleloader SW Quadrant is usually easiest draw(Out of the Gila)) that have better draw odds. Fourth choice is usually areas with few elk, but I have killed some nice bulls in areas that are lower country and have fewer elk.

#6122228 - 01/06/16 02:07 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
Erny Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Smith County
The ML hunts are so popular because a lot of them are the peak of the rut with a lot of bugling going on.

#6122241 - 01/06/16 02:14 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: BOBO the Clown]
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Don't over look the 4th option if you just want to hunt elk bull or cow. Some surprises there every now and then.

ML and Archery are becoming the most coveted tags in that order. Later season rifle tags are usually the least coveted. NM doesn't have a huge high country migration like CO.

Print of the overall draw odds per unit/hunt and study it hard. Then cross reference those units via the web.

Are you sure about this? I know muzzleloader tags are getting more and more coveted because they hunt the rut and muzzleloaders are shooting 400yds + now but im pretty sure rifle are still the hardest to draw at least in the Gila for the fact that good outfitters are upwards of 80% kill ratio. This is what the guide i hunt with their says, he gets a report of all the people that applied using his # and he says i have a better chance drawing muzzle in 15 than rifle in one of the 16 units.

#6122250 - 01/06/16 02:18 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker

To the OP if you know your going to use an outfitter you need to get a contract signed with them so you can draw using their # to greatly increase your chances to draw. If your not using an outfitter thats fine too but your odds decrease. The higher draw units will be north towards Chama where there are alot of Elk but the quality is not as good as the Gila, Apache or Lincoln NF areas.

#6122267 - 01/06/16 02:25 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: sparrish8]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: sparrish8

Are you sure about this? I know muzzleloader tags are getting more and more coveted because they hunt the rut and muzzleloaders are shooting 400yds + now but im pretty sure rifle are still the hardest to draw at least in the Gila for the fact that good outfitters are upwards of 80% kill ratio. This is what the guide i hunt with their says, he gets a report of all the people that applied using his # and he says i have a better chance drawing muzzle in 15 than rifle in one of the 16 units.

Yes straight up NR pool, outfitter is a different deal. ML is a very hard tag state wide because of the very NR limited numbers and peak times. Also have to remember a few primitive only units. Also a reason most the very big bulls are shot during ML and archery season.

#6122277 - 01/06/16 02:28 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: sparrish8]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

To the OP if you know your going to use an outfitter you need to get a contract signed with them so you can draw using their # to greatly increase your chances to draw. If your not using an outfitter thats fine too but your odds decrease. The higher draw units will be north towards Chama where there are alot of Elk but the quality is not as good as the Gila, Apache or Lincoln NF areas.

This^^^^

But there are great bulls all over NM. I hunted SF last year and was on 300"+ bulls 4/5 days. I also blew an opportunity at a 330-340 bull aka got bull fever and missed

#6122278 - 01/06/16 02:28 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: BOBO the Clown]
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker

Yes straight up NR pool, outfitter is a different deal. ML is a very hard tag state wide because of the very NR limited numbers and peak times. Also have to remember a few primitive only units. Also a reason most the very big bulls are shot during ML and archery season.

Makes sense

#6122287 - 01/06/16 02:32 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: Nitro27]
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker

A little off subject but when i was hunting 16a for mule deer this year another guy had a late season tag for 15 ML elk they went out scouting a few days before, they had a helicopter circling and it was someone with the govenors tag apparently they pay people in helicopters to find massive bulls for them then go in and shoot them. The outfitter said he sees them every year.

Edited by sparrish8 (01/06/16 02:32 PM)

#6122293 - 01/06/16 02:34 PM Re: New mexico draw question [Re: sparrish8]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

A little off subject but when i was hunting 16a for mule deer this year another guy had a late season tag for 15 ML elk they went out scouting a few days before, they had a helicopter circling and it was someone with the govenors tag apparently they pay people in helicopters to find massive bulls for them then go in and shoot them. The outfitter said he sees them every year.

It's not just Gov tags. High end outfitters. 17, 34 etc is same way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide