Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,521
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6125653 01/08/16 05:43 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I bet if they do not get cooperation on showing the license when asked, they will eventually post the signs for no open carry. The percentage of people with LTC's are so low that it won't hurt their profit margins enough that will care if you do not shop there.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: rdhibbs] #6125736 01/08/16 06:30 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
law suits from insentient people that have been shot. There have been several shot by accident, Concealed carriers reaching in their pocket and hitting the trigger, one dropped the fire arm out of his pocket and it discharged, One had her fire arm in her purse and her 2 year old stuck their hand in the purse grabbing the gun and shot and killed her mother, bad as that was it could have been some one else easy.

People sue for very frivolous reasons any more, why would any one think that a business would not be sued in a wrongful death case, or a peppermint disability caused by some one carelessly carrying on that businesses property.

So have these suits actually happened or are these hypothetical situations. I only ask because I can't find anything about a business being sued because someone who was lawfully carrying was negligent with their firearm. Is someone going to sue the government when someone discharges a CHL in the capital on accident?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30507300
http://www.kwoklaw.com/kwok-files-lawsuit-in-wal-mart-shooting-death/
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news...-walmart/njSqh/
I found these in about 2 or 3 minutes with a simple web search

Individuals and company's are responsible and liable for what happens on there property.

A little bit of a tangent though related. Regarding...

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
So have these suits actually happened or are these hypothetical situations. I only ask because I can't find anything about a business being sued because someone who was lawfully carrying was negligent with their firearm.

...think about firearms manufacturers being sued because somebody is shot... the manufacturer did not shoot the person. I may be wrong but I think the manufacturer protection was done away with. Or maybe it was put back in place. My recollection is that it flip flopped a time or two. I'm sure somebody will know off the top of their head and will chime in.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: RedRanger] #6126312 01/09/16 12:50 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I highly doubt any person at WalMart is going to ask to see a license for a OC. This is just posted so Wal Mart can CYA.

Are they gonna get in the parking lot and make drivers show their DL.

The status of a customer's DL has absolutely no bearing on their TABC license, so no they won't. Apples and oranges.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Grizz] #6126715 01/09/16 08:43 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Silly for Walmart to ask for CHL

About as dumb as game warden wanting to see fishing or hunting license, while it is perfectly legal to illegally come into USA and work and drive without any ID or Driver License, and the authority will give a ticket to legal resident and let the illegal go

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6129993 01/11/16 01:58 PM
M
MarkieMark Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I don't think an employee can ask to see your ccl. I wouldn't show mine if asked.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: MarkieMark] #6130162 01/11/16 03:39 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: MarkieMark
I don't think an employee can ask to see your ccl. I wouldn't show mine if asked.

They can ask you all day long, they just can't file criminal charges if you don't show it. If you don't show it, they will just tell you to leave, and if you don't you'll be charged with Criminal Trespass.
They also have no way of determining if your license is valid (other than the expiration date), they just want to verify you have one.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Grizz] #6130167 01/11/16 03:45 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Grizz

They can ask you all day long, they just can't file criminal charges if you don't show it. If you don't show it, they will just tell you to leave, and if you don't you'll be charged with Criminal Trespass.
They also have no way of determining if your license is valid (other than the expiration date), they just want to verify you have one.

If you think about it for a moment, there is probably no one out there who could verify if your licenses is valid or not. Too many variations and too many state issued licenses.......

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: RedRanger] #6130342 01/11/16 05:14 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

If you think about it for a moment, there is probably no one out there who could verify if your licenses is valid or not. Too many variations and too many state issued licenses.......

As far as I know, no one other than LE can verify a license as valid. As I said before, Walmart is not checking for a valid license, they're just checking to make sure you have one. Any other retailer who may adopt this policy would be doing the same.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6130371 01/11/16 05:32 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Not against the law for any one to ask for CCL / LTC, but you are only legally obligated to show it to law enforcement. Now the person in charge of the property can ask you to disarm, conceal or leave ether way. They will get tired of the hassle and just post the 3007 sign, and depending on the attitude they get probably the 3006 sign as well.

Our Chief of Police brought up the specific Wall-Mart example of asking to see your license at a community meeting on active shooter events and the new carry laws. He enthusiastically stated that no one but LEO could ask for your license. The officer doing the training added the statement that any one can ask, but you only have to show it to LEO...

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Grizz] #6130520 01/11/16 06:56 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

As far as I know, no one other than LE can verify a license as valid. As I said before, Walmart is not checking for a valid license, they're just checking to make sure you have one. Any other retailer who may adopt this policy would be doing the same.

LE wouldn't even know if a license is valid or not? There are like 28 states licenses where you can use in Texas....

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: RedRanger] #6130745 01/11/16 08:58 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

LE wouldn't even know if a license is valid or not? There are like 28 states licenses where you can use in Texas....

Yes, I believe most of the states will show the license by running the person's name and date of birth through that state, but that's not 100%. Alabama is a good example. I had to call the individual sheriff's office in Alabama that issued a license in order to verify a guy's license was valid.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: RedRanger] #6132170 01/12/16 05:03 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I highly doubt any person at WalMart is going to ask to see a license for a OC. This is just posted so Wal Mart can CYA.

Are they gonna get in the parking lot and make drivers show their DL.

Was at the deer lease this weekend, and needed to run into town (Brownwood) for a box of ammo and some garbage bags. Had my Glock 23 on my hip in my OWB holster, like I always do when I'm at the lease. We were in Wal-Mart for about 30 minutes, to include the sporting goods area. Nobody asked me to see my CHL. If they had, I would have showed it (in this instance) because I really needed that box of ammo.

In the future, I'll just untuck my shirt and pull it over my gun before going in.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6132276 01/12/16 06:18 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Not specific to Walmart but for so long I/we all have had to conceal or leave in vehicle that, to me, it's second nature. Out of habit I will continue to do what is natural. The opposite, leaving exposed, would require conscious.

Last edited by Mickey Moose; 01/12/16 06:19 PM.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6132493 01/12/16 08:35 PM
W
wacorusty Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W

"The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and assistance to foreign hands should be curtailed, lest Rome fall." Cicero
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6132599 01/12/16 09:38 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Open carry, waiting to go to Wal-Mart till late hours of the night... I'm pretty sure you may fit your own description of a sketchy [censored] person popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6132855 01/13/16 12:03 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy OP
Texoma Legend
OP Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I never said I was going to open carry and we wait to go to Walmart later so we don't have to deal with bumper to bumper cart traffic in the isles some times go really early in the morning as well, but mostly later at night becAuse it sucks to get up that early to go grocery shopping. But thanks for making assumptions you know what they say...

[Linked Image]

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Grizz] #6193489 02/21/16 11:31 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It's not really an issue of liability, they are concerned about their TABC license. If they knowingly allow someone to carry an unlicensed firearm on their property, their license could be suspended or revoked. I do think they're being overly cautious, but it's their license and their right. I can't believe they're getting hammered when they're saying people can carry open in their stores, they just want to verify the person has a license. I would be surprised if other retailers who sell alcohol don't follow suit. If they pay attention to the response to Walmart they'll probably just post 30.07 signs and be done with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^
TABC FINALLY posted some clarification on this:

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/

TABC Clarifies License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) Verification Requirements for Businesses
Regarding the obligation of a TABC license or permit holder to verify the License to Carry a handgun (LTC) of a person in possession of a handgun on a TABC-licensed premise:

The Open Carry law did not change the Alcoholic Beverage Code regarding verification of handgun licenses.

There is nothing in the Alcoholic Beverage Code specifically requiring TABC license/permit holders to ask a person to present his/her License to Carry a handgun (LTC), nor do we encourage them to do so.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: flintknapper] #6193659 02/22/16 01:39 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
It's not really an issue of liability, they are concerned about their TABC license. If they knowingly allow someone to carry an unlicensed firearm on their property, their license could be suspended or revoked. I do think they're being overly cautious, but it's their license and their right. I can't believe they're getting hammered when they're saying people can carry open in their stores, they just want to verify the person has a license. I would be surprised if other retailers who sell alcohol don't follow suit. If they pay attention to the response to Walmart they'll probably just post 30.07 signs and be done with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^

TABC Clarifies License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) Verification Requirements for Businesses
Regarding the obligation of a TABC license or permit holder to verify the License to Carry a handgun (LTC) of a person in possession of a handgun on a TABC-licensed premise:

The Open Carry law did not change the Alcoholic Beverage Code regarding verification of handgun licenses.

There is nothing in the Alcoholic Beverage Code specifically requiring TABC license/permit holders to ask a person to present his/her License to Carry a handgun (LTC), nor do we encourage them to do so.

I'm glad TABC took the time to put that out. I hate to see any retailer putting their employees in that position. IMO, they should either post the signs or allow it and be done with it.

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: Grizz] #6195352 02/23/16 11:32 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: flintknapper

^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm glad TABC took the time to put that out. I hate to see any retailer putting their employees in that position. IMO, they should either post the signs or allow it and be done with it.

Yep

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6199776 02/26/16 11:27 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
There is no reason wal mart employees need to be trying to carry out state policies

Years ago when they were coming out with selfpay in WalMart, I was up there found $2 in the return change slot someone forgot to pick up. I picked it out and told the girl working there look, I found $2. I then proceded to pick up a candy bar and buy it. She told me I was suppose to drop the money where the coupons goes and then she tried to detain me for using the $2.

I told her to get bent, I took off to my vehicle and she weighed about 200 lbs and she got another sweathog to follow me out, I think they were going to try to detain me. I had had enough, as I reached my vehicles they were all upset and trying to call for security, I told them to back away or it was about to get bad for them. I was pretty pissed off.

I go back a couple weeks later and they had removed the self pays, I had called corporate and complained. I really thought I was going to have to knock them down to get them out of my face. I am sure they have been replaced but I don't live in that area anymore

Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: KRoyal] #6263947 04/17/16 05:30 PM
S
Sparky45 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have OC'd in Walmart about 20 times since Jan 1

I have yet to be stopped by an employee and ask anything regarding a LTC
I have even stood at the gun counter and talked to the manager on duty for a few minutes.

I have heard about some WMs asking for LTC but I havent seen it yet

The only easy day was yesterday

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Re: Looks like Wal-Mart will allow OC, but will ask to see your license [Re: RedRanger] #6344663 06/23/16 06:27 AM
T
texasrecurve Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
[quote=RedRanger]There is no reason wal mart employees need to be trying to carry out state policies

Years ago when they were coming out with selfpay in WalMart, I was up there found $2 in the return change slot someone forgot to pick up. I picked it out and told the girl working there look, I found $2. I then proceded to pick up a candy bar and buy it. She told me I was suppose to drop the money where the coupons goes and then she tried to detain me for using the $2.

I told her to get bent, I took off to my vehicle and she weighed about 200 lbs and she got another sweathog to follow me out, I think they were going to try to detain me. I had had enough, as I reached my vehicles they were all upset and trying to call for security, I told them to back away or it was about to get bad for them. I was pretty pissed off.

I go back a couple weeks later and they had removed the self pays, I had called corporate and complained. I really thought I was going to have to knock them down to get them out of my face. I am sure they have been replaced but I don't live in that area anymore

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haha, cool story and good for you. I would have done the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide