Print Thread
Help #6117571 01/04/16 01:34 PM
R
river bottom Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I have a year old dog that I have been training and need some help. When I take her out now and we shoot a duck she doesn't want to get off stand and into water she will whine and start moving around and then finally she will jump in but i have to make her, does anybody have any tips on how to fix this, I guess it's the cold water, cause during the summer and she loves the water, thanks

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6117788 01/04/16 03:46 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Few questions - Are you using a vest? Have you force fetched her? Have you hunted her with any other dogs?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6117815 01/04/16 03:59 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I had a good lab that way a decade ago. She hated the cold water. And really, I don't blame them. Like said, vest and if possible a way to warm her between retrieves.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6117972 01/04/16 05:36 PM
R
river bottom Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Yes she wears a vest, we have not done any force fetch, and she has not been out with any other dogs

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6120824 01/06/16 12:40 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
When you say, "she loves the water" in the summer, what does this mean? Are you throwing ducks in the summer too or something else? Let's try to zero in on if it is the cold water, the gun, the object (or game) that fell, and any other situational differences you can think of.

It could be the cold water, but the water is most likely warmer than the ambient temperature(or how cold your dog feels) out of the water, at least in January.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6120966 01/06/16 01:41 AM
R
river bottom Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
In the summer I throw ducks, and bumpers, and when we are at the the lake a frog can jump in or a fish can jump and she going in looking for it, and swim with kids, she is not scared of guns at all no problem there. I was thinking today it may be the dog stand she is on cause she acts like she is scared to get off of it in the water, she wines, scratches, paws at the water and if I walk off to leave her she will finally get off, but when we r hunting I just pick her up and put her in the water and she is fine. At the beginning of the season when it was warm she did fine but we were on the bank also,, so I really don't know I just figured it was the water but iam not a dog trainer at all, thanks

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6120968 01/06/16 01:43 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I can count on one hand the number of truly watery dogs that I have seen. I have found after hearing "oh my dog loves the water" at least a few hundred times and it not being true that the statement is pretty subjective. How many water marks has this dog had? Subtract the number that you have thrown from your side or shot from a handheld launcher and you will have your number. If its less than 1000 then cold water is only a fraction of your issue. I would recommend stopping hunting the dog, wait until the spring when water gets over 55 and throwing a bunch of splash down water marks. If when you increase the distance your dog still shows a lack of water courage you can try going through FF and completing water force.

If its just a stand issue it can be fixed in five minutes with fun bumpers but I don't believe it is.

Good luck

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6120992 01/06/16 01:56 AM
R
river bottom Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Thanks for the help, it looks like you know what you are talking about! I had planned on sending her to a trainer in march so I will just keep it fun here at the house and then send her off cause its out of my league now,, she hasn't had much hunting experience and that where she struggles she hasn't put it together that when I shoot she needs to go get the ducKS and I think part of the problem is she doesn't see them fall so I have to send her out to get them

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6120998 01/06/16 01:59 AM
R
river bottom Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I was talking to a guy and he said give her as much hunting time as I can even if she isn't doing good, he said it all about her seeing and doing new stuff and just the experience of being out there hunting,, that's the reason I have been taking her cause I hadn't planned on it, thanks again

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6121101 01/06/16 02:52 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
You can't expect much out of a 1 year old without much training. Another 6-8 months of training will make a huge difference

Robby

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6121129 01/06/16 03:03 AM
R
river bottom Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Robby, yes she is still young and has a long way to go

Re: Help [Re: Birdhunter61] #6121210 01/06/16 03:45 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
You can't expect much out of a 1 year old without much training. Another 6-8 months of training will make a huge difference

Robby

I dont think the issue is with training or lack of but the drive that the dog has or is lacking in this case which is not something you can change.

I would keep hunting the dog, the season is almost over. If the dog really loved to retrieve, taking it hunting in cold weather should help it get over not liking the cold. If not, I dont see how any amount of training is going to change that. Some mentioned water force which you could do if you would like.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6121268 01/06/16 04:25 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: river bottom
In the summer I throw ducks, and bumpers, and when we are at the the lake a frog can jump in or a fish can jump and she going in looking for it, and swim with kids, she is not scared of guns at all no problem there. I was thinking today it may be the dog stand she is on cause she acts like she is scared to get off of it in the water, she wines, scratches, paws at the water and if I walk off to leave her she will finally get off, but when we r hunting I just pick her up and put her in the water and she is fine. At the beginning of the season when it was warm she did fine but we were on the bank also,, so I really don't know I just figured it was the water but iam not a dog trainer at all, thanks

Practice with the dog stand during training and as Tony mentioned really work on the marks. Take your time and ready her for next season. Set some goals on what you want out of your dog while hunting, and then seek wisdom here and from other materials to help you get there. If you are not a member of a local hunting retriever club, then find one. You will have a hard time working on good marking without helpers or remote launchers. Most clubs have training days and equipment.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6121331 01/06/16 07:08 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'd bet money she's insecure about the stand. You said she did fine from the bank.

I've got a nine year old who has not once ever shown hesitation to get in the water until working her out of new blind this year that was different than any thing shed ever done. It just took a little time to build her confidence.

When it starts to warm up this spring incorporate some training off the stand.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Help [Re: river bottom] #6121601 01/06/16 03:15 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: river bottom
I was talking to a guy and he said give her as much hunting time as I can even if she isn't doing good, he said it all about her seeing and doing new stuff and just the experience of being out there hunting,, that's the reason I have been taking her cause I hadn't planned on it, thanks again

There are things they learn while hunting, that are very hard to simulate while training.
But you probably jump the gun on taking her hunting.
She needs to know that gunfire means birds, and be very hyped up about finding them.
Also she needs to be worked on blind retrieves, before going hunting.

A dogs first few hunts have to be about the dog, not about the how many ducks you can shoot, or having a group of friends along.
One excellent shooter that will pick the shots wisely. Other person to work the dog, and have him/her setup to have the best opportunity to see it fall. Also be prepared to walkout with the dog, if it doesn't see it fall.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide