Page 1 of 2 1 2
When you die....what then with your guns???? #6120915 01/06/16 01:20 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Well sticking to the dark subjects of today. I assume most of us here own many guns. Unfortunately we can't take them all with us when we croak. At dinner tonight my daughter asked me how will she know what my guns are worth. She says she wants to keep them all but you know...I have a bunch of friends I hunt and shoot with but they don't know jack sht what my stuff is worth.

I know if you go to a gun shop and ask someone to appraise them, you will get f'd. Is there someone or somewhere to have these valued fairly? I know it is so subjective. I have a custom rifle and scope I have about $7,000 in. I know it's worth every penny.....TO ME!!! Not to very many more. So how would you price it to sell?

My plan was to take this and suggest start the asking price at $7000 then negotiate down. If she does sell OR insure, what does she do?

Anyone go through this?

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6120923 01/06/16 01:24 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
There are honest people out there that will appraise them.

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6120985 01/06/16 01:51 AM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Do your own inventory complete with estimates. Assuming that Gunbroker still exists in the far off, very, very distant era when my last clone finally dies, I think it the best way to establish a national market value. If you go down that path, it should be noted that excellent descriptions and better pictures get you the most money on GB. Shipping can be a bit of a PITA, but that's what it takes to get the $$$.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121007 01/06/16 02:03 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Maybe make a photo box, get a photographer and catalog your items

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121017 01/06/16 02:12 AM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I keep a list of all my current guns owned with serial numbers, new value replacement costs, current values and any and all gunsmithing that has been done to them. My biggest fear is that my wife finds them before I die. Because if she ever finds out what I actually paid for these things she will kill me.

Last edited by caddokiller; 01/06/16 02:13 AM.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: caddokiller] #6121038 01/06/16 02:24 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: caddokiller
I keep a list of all my current guns owned with serial numbers, new value replacement costs, current values and any and all gunsmithing that has been done to them. My biggest fear is that my wife finds them before I die. Because if she ever finds out what I actually paid for these things she will kill me.
lol444

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: caddokiller] #6121086 01/06/16 02:44 AM
fgdn Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: caddokiller

nice to know I am not alone

up

but back to the question

hoping I go before my brother, he will know what to do with them

get the most bang for buck I guess you could say, I am sure at that point the wife will have a better appreciation of what was spent, and where

Last edited by fgdn; 01/06/16 02:49 AM.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting.......holy kaka.....What a Ride!
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121126 01/06/16 03:02 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When FIL died, MIL asked me to figure out what the firearms were worth. I scoured internet gun sellers and got an average of the values, wrote them all down and gave her an itemized list. All were mass produced long guns so it was pretty straight forward. Custom rifles can get tricky. I would total the retail value of the combined parts plus Smith fees, then depreciate based on round count (if known), and bore inspection. Then see what the market bares for a similar firearm.

It will take some time. Hopefully you have a nice and knowledgeable son in law. If not, have your wife call me when you die and I will handle it for the price of an apple pie. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121127 01/06/16 03:02 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
WHAT guns? They are all at the bottom of a lake now due to a most unfortunate boating accident.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121130 01/06/16 03:03 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My wife or dad or brother in law or kids will get them. They'll be well taken care of either way. I'm not worried.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121211 01/06/16 03:45 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Just make sure it's documented who gets what - that documentation can also include values.

When my Uncle was in the Army he purchased 2 Sako Finnbear's from the Rod & Gun Club in Kaiserlaughtern Germany in 1969. Obviously these were rare and desired pre-Garcia Sako's with no import marks. The .270 was given to my father when he got home. It was subsequently used by him to take every deer he ever shot. It then became mine by which time my oldest was a hunter and I immediately gave it to him.

My Uncle kept the 30-06. He had intended for me to get it when he died. However his oldest grand daughter wanted it so that was that. She knows next to nothing about guns, no real idea of the value of her Grandad's rifle or it's history. The stipulation was it wouldn't go to her until she's had some training and knowledge of firearms safety. He died more than 2 years ago and she still doesn't have it, meanwhile my Youngest could be hunting with it now...uggh....

Last edited by Earl; 01/06/16 03:46 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121222 01/06/16 03:53 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
All of my firearms are documented through pictures, serial numbers and a complete description of any accessories (scopes, etc).

My Daughter (our only child) will receive all that I own. She actually has more firearms than me, but she gets them anyway.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121226 01/06/16 03:57 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
My wife and I only have one son and he will get all my firearms and fishing lures/equipment. However, I have told him if he needs the money to not feel bad about selling any of it. He said he will keep the ones that mean the most to me. Unless he really needs the money, I think I know him well enough to know that he will keep them all as long as he can. Not sure he will have room enough for all my fishing stuff though...lol.

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6121298 01/06/16 05:11 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I dont know if this is what your asking about but when my father passed i got all his gun and one of my grand fathers for the price of them my insurance company told me if i had any rare or customs jobs to do them seperitly but i just had to take them to 3 gun stores they strongly suggested that I dont go to pawn shops for this i go to an actual gun shop then they would take the highest of the 3 for thing that had custom work with is pretty much all of them fined out how much the work was and add that to the prices of the guns value no i did not remember what they said i just looked over the letter they sent me if my scanner worked i would post it up for you things you think are not worth much turn out to be double what you may have thought I have an old 30-30 win mod 94 i got it in the 6th grade from my uncle who got it from a farmer for working for him all summer long on a farm he wanted to buy a hunting gun with the money he made so the farmer gave him this gun for payment and he was very very happy from what i was told. the bluing is missing of the breach it as some scuff and scratches on it. any how hope this helps

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: huntwest] #6121302 01/06/16 05:18 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: huntwest
There are honest people out there that will appraise them.

all you have to do is tell them it is for an your insurance and they will apaisthem they know they are not for sell or to pawn

This is listed in the insurance appraisal letter

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122226 01/06/16 08:07 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
One thing to consider when documenting your guns is provenance of any that may have sentimental value.

For instance, if it was your granfather's gun, when you got it from him, where he got it, were there special memories, "shot the 10 point buck in 1983 that is shoulder mounted in the study", "Uncle Bert brought this back from Germany after WWII", or "This was the rifle I hunted with from ages 10-16 and want to teach my children/grandchildren on".

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122519 01/06/16 10:02 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
My wife will decide on the disposition of my firearms. The firearms though are a minor matter in comparison to my other possessions.

Whatever transpires, I will not be effected by it at all. - I'll be dead.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122562 01/06/16 10:26 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
great stuff from everyone. I really appreciate them all!!

Jason why don't you marry my daughter, so I won't have to worry about anything !!!

She can drive the hell out of a tractor and outshoot most!!!

cheers

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122600 01/06/16 10:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Jason why don't you marry my daughter, so I won't have to worry about anything !!!

cheers

Palegamy is illegal in Texas.

My wife would never get on board with it.

I'm in trouble with one often enough, I can't imagine two of em being frustrated with me.

But I sure could use the help and you have some very nice rifles. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122612 01/06/16 10:48 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
you should have a list of what you paid for each gun

There is a Gun Blue Book from Brownells that can be used as a starting point
a 98% gun is very different from a 95% gun

finally, a gun is only worth as much as someone willing to pay for it
so it may sit forever if the asking price is too high

I would designate those that are not be sold (stay in family )
and 'can be sold' and let the market dictate sale price

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: J.G.] #6122628 01/06/16 10:56 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

cheers

I'm in trouble with one often enough, I can't imagine two of em being frustrated with me.

oops, I didn't know you already had one.... hammer

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122670 01/06/16 11:11 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm gonna will all my stuff to Coolie so he can buy drugs.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122710 01/06/16 11:39 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I'm 62, very healthy and have no plans to die soon. I don't have a large and highly valuable gun collection like many of you, but my simplistic approach is:

Very few written records of what I own, but very clear understandings with my wife and daughters. Zero room for interpretation on major stuff because each has their favorites, and the others know what they are. Along with certain grandkids - they all "who belongs to what."

Easy to do in a close knit family that trusts each other implicitly - and discusses it openly.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: Buzzsaw] #6122835 01/07/16 12:49 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
MY youngest son gets my guns, the oldest son gets the ranch. They both know guns and bluebook values, plus I have a computerized inventory, with serial numbers that lists (todays) value..2016.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: When you die....what then with your guns???? [Re: J.G.] #6122884 01/07/16 01:10 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

cheers

There's a pretty stiff penalty for that kind of thing.

Two wives.

Kind regards, charlesb

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide