Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6121462 01/06/16 01:46 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
As others have said, I hunt mature bucks regardless of score. If my heart beat increases and it's mature I'm going to kill it.

I don't agree with the B & C net scoring system, as it degrades bucks score because of character. But I do think the gross scoring system is helpful for the reasons already mentioned. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot] #6124000 01/07/16 06:08 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: kphilli66
Why does a score on a deer matter, unless your looking to get your name in a record book someplace? Doesn't the fact that it met the AR's for your area, and that it was taken ethically and humanely meet all requirements for a real trophy and a memory maker? I have hunted a long time, as was taught by my pop to honor every kill, great or small for allowing you to be the one that took it and being in that time and place. I don't mean or want to ruffle feathers, but would like to understand what scoring is for?

Everyone has their own opinions. Score does not matter to me as far as making up my decision to shoot one but I do like to know what one scores and I enjoy going through the process of thinking of the score of a live deer and then putting the tape to him later...

If you really want to get critical I was taught something similar to you but along with honoring a kill that defined itself as honoring a young deer and letting it live its life.. A trophy is what it is and people see it different than others...

I see a trophy as an old mature deer and also antlers matter too.. Im not going to call a year old four point a trophy... I also don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

I agree, trying to look at a live deer and guess a score and then if you are lucky enough to get him and compare it is fun...but a MATURE buck that has lived a good long life and no mater if he is 180" or 80" if he is a wise old mature deer that is a great trophy to take...perfect example is this buck I got a few weeks ago..he was aged at 6 plus years old...not a huge rack but an old guy

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66] #6124338 01/07/16 09:07 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
It's mostly for point of reference and possibly to assist in harvesting/aging on the hoof purposes. Like said here, I've been hunting for nearly 40 years and if I see a mature buck I like, I shoot it, score or not.

Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: txhunter1010] #6124415 01/07/16 10:06 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: kphilli66
Why does a score on a deer matter, unless your looking to get your name in a record book someplace? Doesn't the fact that it met the AR's for your area, and that it was taken ethically and humanely meet all requirements for a real trophy and a memory maker? I have hunted a long time, as was taught by my pop to honor every kill, great or small for allowing you to be the one that took it and being in that time and place. I don't mean or want to ruffle feathers, but would like to understand what scoring is for?

Everyone has their own opinions. Score does not matter to me as far as making up my decision to shoot one but I do like to know what one scores and I enjoy going through the process of thinking of the score of a live deer and then putting the tape to him later...

If you really want to get critical I was taught something similar to you but along with honoring a kill that defined itself as honoring a young deer and letting it live its life.. A trophy is what it is and people see it different than others...

I see a trophy as an old mature deer and also antlers matter too.. Im not going to call a year old four point a trophy... I also don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

I agree, trying to look at a live deer and guess a score and then if you are lucky enough to get him and compare it is fun...but a MATURE buck that has lived a good long life and no mater if he is 180" or 80" if he is a wise old mature deer that is a great trophy to take...perfect example is this buck I got a few weeks ago..he was aged at 6 plus years old...not a huge rack but an old guy

That's a great deer, 1010. That's the kind of deer I like to take as well. Granted, if he's 140 instead of 40 I'm a little more thrilled, but I'm always happy to get a mature deer.

No, I did not get a buck this year.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide