Forum Stats
60408 Members
45 Forums
475493 Topics
6237773 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6119459 - 01/05/16 08:45 AM Scoring a deer??
kphilli66 Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Texas, Ellis County
Why does a score on a deer matter, unless your looking to get your name in a record book someplace? Doesn't the fact that it met the AR's for your area, and that it was taken ethically and humanely meet all requirements for a real trophy and a memory maker? I have hunted a long time, as was taught by my pop to honor every kill, great or small for allowing you to be the one that took it and being in that time and place. I don't mean or want to ruffle feathers, but would like to understand what scoring is for?

#6119482 - 01/05/16 08:56 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
8pointdrop Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: My favorite place TEXAS
Wrong section...this is the photo section, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. Score matters to me because I like hunting the biggest most mature animals, big scores don't always mean old animals but aging is a different topic.

In a nutshell I'm not hunting just any deer when I go to the field, if I was doing that I'd smoke the first doe or little buck that showed up and be done hunting with no tags left in a week or less.

#6119483 - 01/05/16 08:56 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but score is kept on almost everything in life. For one thing, score can serve as a goal, such as a 4 minute mile, a six-figure job, a 10 sec qtr mile, 70 on the golf course, 4.0 semester in college, etc. It also serves as a measuring stick to compare yourself to others and as such, to generate a sense of pride.

#6119490 - 01/05/16 08:59 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: kphilli66
Why does a score on a deer matter, unless your looking to get your name in a record book someplace? Doesn't the fact that it met the AR's for your area, and that it was taken ethically and humanely meet all requirements for a real trophy and a memory maker? I have hunted a long time, as was taught by my pop to honor every kill, great or small for allowing you to be the one that took it and being in that time and place. I don't mean or want to ruffle feathers, but would like to understand what scoring is for?

Everyone has their own opinions. Score does not matter to me as far as making up my decision to shoot one but I do like to know what one scores and I enjoy going through the process of thinking of the score of a live deer and then putting the tape to him later...

If you really want to get critical I was taught something similar to you but along with honoring a kill that defined itself as honoring a young deer and letting it live its life.. A trophy is what it is and people see it different than others...

I see a trophy as an old mature deer and also antlers matter too.. Im not going to call a year old four point a trophy... I also don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6119523 - 01/05/16 09:11 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot]
SingleShot85 Offline

Loc: S.A. and Kinney Co.
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

up

#6119527 - 01/05/16 09:12 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockwall

Everyone has their own opinions. Score does not matter to me as far as making up my decision to shoot one but I do like to know what one scores and I enjoy going through the process of thinking of the score of a live deer and then putting the tape to him later...

If you really want to get critical I was taught something similar to you but along with honoring a kill that defined itself as honoring a young deer and letting it live its life.. A trophy is what it is and people see it different than others...

I see a trophy as an old mature deer and also antlers matter too.. Im not going to call a year old four point a trophy... I also don't want a purple ribbon for coming in last place in a race... those who enjoy getting participation ribbons that's fine by me im not going to judge because your hunting and its your right to do so.. .. I like to have a goal and strive to meet it... Id rather fail than settle.

yep...and the same could be said for any sport, sure as a kid you play basketball in the driveway with your friends because its fun, but you always kept score. my 5yo and 7yo play in the driveway everyday and yell out the score after every basket.

I think most people are naturally competitive, some more than others and some more with themselves than against others.

I also think that, within the last few years especially, that age/maturity of a buck has gained a lot of ground on score regarding it being a "trophy" or not.

Edited by jshouse (01/05/16 09:14 AM)

#6119545 - 01/05/16 09:18 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: Navasot]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership

Well said....

I quit scoring Deer a few years back...may have a tape thrown to one every now and then for my Amigos to discuss but a Mature Deer that gets a rise out of me is my scoring system..

#6119546 - 01/05/16 09:18 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
Apretz Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Howard county
Because the numbers don't lie. I think it keeps people honest on how "huge" there deer is. I do believe the term trophy is in the eye of the beholder, but generally the greater the score the greater the trophy due to the fact that the higher the score the more rare the animal is.

#6119557 - 01/05/16 09:21 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
kphilli66 Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Texas, Ellis County
My apologies for posting in the wrong section for this, as I said, this was for me learning. I agree that you let the young bucks walk and believe that is the best practice with them, to see what they can get to be in a few years with some one that gave a rat's tail about them as the people here on the forum do. I hunt the old guys and gals, the ones that look as rough and gray as I am now days, and let some of them go because they earned the respect to live out whatever days they have left. I just didn't understand what the scoring was for. Thank you for not being to hard on me.

#6119564 - 01/05/16 09:23 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
My apologies for posting in the wrong section for this, as I said, this was for me learning. I agree that you let the young bucks walk and believe that is the best practice with them, to see what they can get to be in a few years with some one that gave a rat's tail about them as the people here on the forum do. I hunt the old guys and gals, the ones that look as rough and gray as I am now days, and let some of them go because they earned the respect to live out whatever days they have left. I just didn't understand what the scoring was for. Thank you for not being to hard on me.

welcome

#6119568 - 01/05/16 09:24 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
It's just a comparative number, for me. A specific way to gauge one buck against another.

#6119578 - 01/05/16 09:26 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
SingleShot85 Offline

Loc: S.A. and Kinney Co.
Going hunting is the memory/ experience to be gained or the game to be played. The trophy is a prize, where you set those qualifications is up to you.

I don't qualify a spike or doe as a trophy as those animals death were for only ONE purpose food for me and mine. A trophy will certainly be food in my house, but is a "game" played w/ entirely different set of rule.....

Giving thanks, respect, honoring...... to the animal and the process has noting to do w/ why you killed it

#6119581 - 01/05/16 09:26 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX

cheers welcome

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6119587 - 01/05/16 09:28 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Undercover
I don't really care what they score because I don't need to see my name on any list, but scoring is simply ranking for me. Unless they rank up their with the best I have shot, they get to walk. If they rank up their with the best, maybe they get shot. Scoring is simply a way to rank deer. Just like everything else in life, if you aren't moving forward, you aren't going anywhere.

#6119619 - 01/05/16 09:37 AM Re: Scoring a deer?? [Re: kphilli66]
HuntnFly67 Offline
Extreme Tracker

I ... would like to understand what scoring is for?

Since the beginning of time humans have looked for 'the next big thing.' Cavemen sought fire and the wheel. The ancients sought knowledge and understanding. Hunters seek a metric to quantify their trophy.

You see, the score of a deer's rack is as important as fire, the wheel, knowledge and understanding.

But seriously, antler growth is viewed by some as a byproduct of a healthy herd.
From a management perspective the higher a set of antlers scores <generally>, can offer some indication of a well managed herd. For others, it is a way to generate revenue for hunts - some outfits charge clients on a $ per inch of antler basis.

Socially among hunters, I think antler scores offer a way to compare and quantify bucks. An 8-point buck just doesn't carry as much imagery as a 163" eight point, does it?

However, worrying about score can get out of hand and could possibly diminish the enjoyment sought when the hunt turns in to a quest for inches for some hunters. Score bites both ways - it can be both a tool and a curse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide