Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bending a bolt #6119186 01/05/16 06:38 AM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I have a CZ 550 American 6.5x55 and it is my favorite rifle. The issue with scopes like Zeiss and Meopta the eyepiece is so big that the bolt hits it, this isn't an issue with Leupolds. But I bought a Meopta specifically for the CZ and the only way I can mount now is by going to high rings. Bought high rings in August but can't bring myself to use them, I don't like the cheek weld and don't want to add material to the comb.

How feasible is bending the bolt and what does it cost?

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6119272 01/05/16 01:01 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Now I've never done it, or looked into it, but wouldn't you then have to modify the stock to accommodate the different shape of the bolt handle?

My vote, which is worth what you paid for it is, use high rings, and buy a stock pack that you can add comb height without modifying anything.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6119293 01/05/16 01:19 PM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
My understanding is you don't have to modify the stock. I could be wrong.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6119298 01/05/16 01:23 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
That may be true, just a concern I'd have.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6119349 01/05/16 01:43 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I for one would set the scope with the big eye-piece aside, and buy something better designed for use with your CZ.

When I have done this in the past, I have always wound up being glad that I did.

The scopes with the large eyepieces are, I believe, designed with the high-end European rifles in mind. These tend to have multiple locking lugs and reduced bolt lift.

For a CZ you will be much better off with a quality scope that is designed for use with a dual lug action. They are easy to spot - because the eyepiece won't be too large in diameter to allow mounting the scope at a useful height with your gun.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/05/16 01:57 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6119369 01/05/16 01:58 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Ive got the same rifle. I use the scope mounts that came with the rifle and although the bolt comes close to the scope it does prevent it from opening and closing. I had a Zeiss on it and now have a Swaro.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6119573 01/05/16 03:25 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'd look for scope alternatives also. I had to do this for my Win 52 because of the bolt, and use higher than optimum rings also. I would never consider altering the rifle itself.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: TFF Caribou] #6119799 01/05/16 05:04 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

My vote, which is worth what you paid for it is, use high rings, and buy a stock pack that you can add comb height without modifying anything.

This

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6120822 01/06/16 12:39 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
There's a reason why shooters do not want the scope way up high above the bore.

I mean, besides the way it looks.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: charlesb] #6120864 01/06/16 01:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Please enlighten us as to why that is.

popcorn

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: J.G.] #6120955 01/06/16 01:39 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Please enlighten us as to why that is.

popcorn

Tell us why it isn't, if that's your theory... - I'd be interested to hear about that.

Why is it a good idea to have the scope way up high above the bore, as opposed to having it as low as you can get it, as hunters have striven to do since the rifle scope was invented?

Last edited by charlesb; 01/06/16 01:41 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: charlesb] #6120997 01/06/16 01:59 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A scope sitting in high rings is not problem provided the rifle/ reticle is kept level with the world. Say a scope is sitting a full 3" above the bore, center to center, and zeroed at 100 yards. The holds are the same out as far as one wants to shoot as a scope sitting 1 1/2" above the bore, center to center. That is, beyond the zeroing distance.

The trick comes in when trying to hit inside 1 MOA inside 100 yards. The higher the scope is above the bore, the more correction is needed, due to sight offset. But no matter how high the scope is, precision at any distance is still achievable.

I think hunters wanted the scope closer to the bore because they weren't shooting level. And the closer it is, the less cant error was introduced.

I've shot 1 MOA from 7 yards (.07") to 77 yards, in 10 yard increments. 7 yard correction is the same as 875 yard correction on my rig. Have to hold it level, and have to hold it still, same as any shot.

Proper cheek weld, and natural point of aim are more important than keeping the scope close to the barrel. A scoped rifle should be set up to gain a sight picture almost as fast as gaining a bead on a shotgun.

Last edited by FiremanJG; 01/06/16 02:01 AM.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6121001 01/06/16 02:00 AM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Forging, Polish, and reblueing a bolt runs about $65-115. The notch in the stock where the bolt handle goes will most likely need to be opened.
I would use a different scope.

Mark

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: J.G.] #6121065 01/06/16 02:36 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
A scope sitting in high rings is not problem provided the rifle/ reticle is kept level with the world. Say a scope is sitting a full 3" above the bore, center to center, and zeroed at 100 yards. The holds are the same out as far as one wants to shoot as a scope sitting 1 1/2" above the bore, center to center. That is, beyond the zeroing distance.

The trick comes in when trying to hit inside 1 MOA inside 100 yards. The higher the scope is above the bore, the more correction is needed, due to sight offset. But no matter how high the scope is, precision at any distance is still achievable.

I think hunters wanted the scope closer to the bore because they weren't shooting level. And the closer it is, the less cant error was introduced.

I've shot 1 MOA from 7 yards (.07") to 77 yards, in 10 yard increments. 7 yard correction is the same as 875 yard correction on my rig. Have to hold it level, and have to hold it still, same as any shot.

Proper cheek weld, and natural point of aim are more important than keeping the scope close to the barrel. A scoped rifle should be set up to gain a sight picture almost as fast as gaining a bead on a shotgun.

In other words, you cannot come up with a single reason why it is a good idea to have the scope way up high above the bore, but you can come up with a bunch of "if this and if that" that explain how somebody could (maybe) overcome the handicap.

Then you disparage hunters for "not shooting level" because they have sought to keep their scopes down low for as long as scopes have been around.

I hate to break it to you, but there's a bit more to it than that. A lot of it has to do with a natural sight picture that one doesn't have to strain or crane - to obtain.

My rule of thumb on this is to close my eyes, then mount the rifle to my shoulder and get a good cheek weld as if to shoot. Then I pop open my eye - and if a good sight through the scope is not apparent, then I know that it is too high, or (more often) too far forward or back.

After doing this hundreds of times with hundreds of hunting rifles, I have yet to encounter a condition where the scope was too low... I cannot really say that this surprises me, though. Anybody with common sense should be able to figure out why hunters have always assayed to get a scope as low as they possibly can.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6121081 01/06/16 02:42 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Never owned a CZ 550 but have CZ 527. After Calhoun (20 cal rifle guys) started milling off some of the bolt handle and offering that service to customers and a couple others offering new bolt handles with more scope clearance CZ finally decided they could make that same modification to new guns but that took several years. The 527 modification allowed in many cases for medium rings to be used instead of high rings.

No idea if the same type mod would help with the 550 or not.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: charlesb] #6121082 01/06/16 02:42 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've been behind many rifles owned by other shooters that the scope was too low for me.

So again, everything you write is not gospel.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: charlesb] #6121112 01/06/16 02:57 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb

In other words, you cannot come up with a single reason why it is a good idea to have the scope way up high above the bore, but you can come up with a bunch of "if this and if that" that explain how somebody could (maybe) overcome the handicap.

Then you disparage hunters for "not shooting level" because they have sought to keep their scopes down low for as long as scopes have been around.

I hate to break it to you, but there's a bit more to it than that. A lot of it has to do with a natural sight picture that one doesn't have to strain or crane - to obtain.

My rule of thumb on this is to close my eyes, then mount the rifle to my shoulder and get a good cheek weld as if to shoot. Then I pop open my eye - and if a good sight through the scope is not apparent, then I know that it is too high, or (more often) too far forward or back.

After doing this hundreds of times with hundreds of hunting rifles, I have yet to encounter a condition where the scope was too low... I cannot really say that this surprises me, though. Anybody with common sense should be able to figure out why hunters have always assayed to get a scope as low as they possibly can.

He never one time said it was better to have a scope high, but that it wasn't an insurmountable issue. Maybe you have the reading comprehension issue you so like to point out in others.

For instance, high rings+a cheek riser over come basically every issue you listed. Still provide a natural head position, and proper sight picture.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: TFF Caribou] #6121148 01/06/16 03:11 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

He never one time said it was better to have a scope high, but that it wasn't an insurmountable issue. Maybe you have the reading comprehension issue you so like to point out in others.

For instance, high rings+a cheek riser over come basically every issue you listed. Still provide a natural head position, and proper sight picture.

Once again its mostly personal preference. People are built differently. I like scopes low and don't care for stock risers.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: bo3] #6121153 01/06/16 03:13 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: bo323

Once again its mostly personal preference. People are built differently. I like scopes low and don't care for stock risers.

I totally get that. Charles just apparently thinks firemanJG is the spawn of Satan. And we're all tired of his trolling and pot stirring.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6121156 01/06/16 03:14 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
From what I've seen that goes both ways.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: bo3] #6121162 01/06/16 03:17 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don't start nuthin, won't be nuthin.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: charlesb] #6121199 01/06/16 03:34 AM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

In other words, you cannot come up with a single reason why it is a good idea to have the scope way up high above the bore

I can.

Elevation.

I run one of my scopes very high to get the elevation needed for long range shots. 60 MOA base and moving to a 120 MOA base.

But charles probably doesn't want those facts.

Last edited by Dave3575; 01/06/16 03:35 AM.
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: Dave3575] #6121216 01/06/16 03:48 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Impossible to hunt with that, Dave.

rolleyes

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bending a bolt [Re: Dave3575] #6121240 01/06/16 04:08 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Dave3575

In other words, you cannot come up with a single reason why it is a good idea to have the scope way up high above the bore

I can.

Elevation.

I run one of my scopes very high to get the elevation needed for long range shots. 60 MOA base and moving to a 120 MOA base.

But charles probably doesn't want those facts.

Have to ask what your shooting and how far to need that much movement.

Re: Bending a bolt [Re: booradley] #6121296 01/06/16 05:08 AM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I don't shoot super long range, 400 yards would be by max and I doubt that will ever happen. I'm going to forget about bolt bending and use the high rings, I'm definitely going to use the scope I bought for the rifle. If the cheek weld is not there I will raise the comb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide