Print Thread
Medina County - thoughts #6116351 01/03/16 06:59 PM
J
John Humbert Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Looking at some property in Medina county. Any thoughts, experiences, etc on the deer, exotics, and other game in the county.

This property has live water on it and supposed axis have been seen there. Very hilly property.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116385 01/03/16 07:27 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Where in Medina Co.?

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116709 01/03/16 11:13 PM
J
John Humbert Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
South of Tarpley, west of Bandera. Hilly terrain. Flowing spring on property. Large neighbors. Lots of cover.

Supposedly plenty of deer. Some auodad. Axis seen. Been "vacant" a number of years. No hunting on the property in many years. Very remote.

I like everything about the property but have no idea of wildlife density/quality in that area.

Last edited by John Humbert; 01/03/16 11:17 PM.
Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116717 01/03/16 11:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would imagine there are a few Axis. Probably plenty of hogs and coyotes.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116763 01/03/16 11:35 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
There will be tons of typical hill country deer axis and probably other exotic passers milling about that property. Tons of rock and cedars abound

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116789 01/03/16 11:46 PM
J
John Humbert Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Any idea of deer quality - I figure the density is low in most areas. This place has a good number of Red and Live oak - not just cedar.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116800 01/03/16 11:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Not a ton of axis in that country until you get almost in the town of tarpley along the creeks and in the bottom country

The whitetsil density in that area is pretty low too traditionally.

I have 185 acres just south of Bandera that has axis, sika, aoudad and good sized hill country whitetail on it...might be a fit for you

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: txtrophy85] #6116839 01/04/16 12:08 AM
J
John Humbert Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Not a ton of axis in that country until you get almost in the town of tarpley along the creeks and in the bottom country

The whitetsil density in that area is pretty low too traditionally.

I have 185 acres just south of Bandera that has axis, sika, aoudad and good sized hill country whitetail on it...might be a fit for you

Send me the details please.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116845 01/04/16 12:10 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
10-4

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6116913 01/04/16 12:36 AM
B
bow-man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Lived in Medina County my entire life. Excellent deer hunting in certain parts of the county. Fair hunting in other areas of the county. There are certain regions of the county that you can kill a 140 inch low fence deer or better every year. You always hear of someone killing at least 1 160 + low fence deer each year. Most exotics north of Hondo. Biggest bucks more over by Devine south toward Moore in certain pockets . There are alot of bobcats, kyotes, hogs all over county. But like I said most exotics above Hondo. There was a 199 inch low fenced deer killed in Medina County last year. Yes low fence.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6120542 01/05/16 10:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Flowing springs in Medina are not very common. Some areas have good deer numbers and others not so good. That area will be lower on deer numbers I would think. I have scored and seen some really good deer from that county. I lived North of Hondo and west of the pass area for about 6 years. I had decent deer numbers, but water was the key.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: stxranchman] #6120837 01/06/16 12:47 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Flowing springs in Medina are not very common. Some areas have good deer numbers and others not so good. That area will be lower on deer numbers I would think. I have scored and seen some really good deer from that county. I lived North of Hondo and west of the pass area for about 6 years. I had decent deer numbers, but water was the key.
Very true. There may be "Live Water" now but not this summer.Every little crack in the ground has water coming out of it now.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: don k] #6120851 01/06/16 12:53 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Very true. There may be "Live Water" now but not this summer.Every little crack in the ground has water coming out of it now.

The only ones I know of where on the Middle Verde Ranch area that were in Medina and then a couple over in the western or NW part of Medina. The drought has been tough on any springs in all of the Hill Country. Drought also took a toll on WT numbers in that areas south, SW and SE of Tarpley I would think also, numbers were never that great when I lived there in those areas to start due to lack of water. The Hondo Creek drainage south of Tarpley will have Axis deer on it also.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6120934 01/06/16 01:29 AM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If you buy the property dig a big ole hole right where your spring is up

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6121321 01/06/16 06:27 AM
J
John Humbert Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Well, I haven't seen for myself - but there is a luxury home on a hilltop and there is no water but this spring, which feeds both houses and wildlife. Lots of pics from the past 6 months with very good water flow. The home runs on batteries, but one of things I need to check out is the possibility to convert to solar panels. Hope to make a visit to property soon - it's just one possibility I am looking at. The property line runs around the rim of a mini-canyon and is a natural barrier. There are a good number of red and live oaks, so there has to be good water source. Very little flat land however, except for the bottom/basin of the canyon, which appears to have good grass and soil. From what I have found out thus far, hasn't been hunted - nor the neighboring properties - in quite some time.

As the crow flies, about 4-5 miles WSW of Tarpley - about 1.5 miles east of the "nipple" on 111 - just east of the Richter spring and 1101 - tucked away in those hills

Last edited by John Humbert; 01/06/16 06:32 AM.
Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6121451 01/06/16 01:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Well, I haven't seen for myself - but there is a luxury home on a hilltop and there is no water but this spring, which feeds both houses and wildlife. Lots of pics from the past 6 months with very good water flow. The home runs on batteries, but one of things I need to check out is the possibility to convert to solar panels. Hope to make a visit to property soon - it's just one possibility I am looking at. The property line runs around the rim of a mini-canyon and is a natural barrier. There are a good number of red and live oaks, so there has to be good water source. Very little flat land however, except for the bottom/basin of the canyon, which appears to have good grass and soil. From what I have found out thus far, hasn't been hunted - nor the neighboring properties - in quite some time.

As the crow flies, about 4-5 miles WSW of Tarpley - about 1.5 miles east of the "nipple" on 111 - just east of the Richter spring and 1101 - tucked away in those hills

That is rough country where this home is at. I have seen the pics of the place and home. Do you like that layout of the home? That place would be one of the few places that have a good spring in Medina County. That is some straight up and straight down country in that area. Not many WT with a few exotics. Tough country. IIRC water wells are poor quality/volume and deep(700') in that area.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6121925 01/06/16 05:36 PM
A
Alim Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Well, I haven't seen for myself - but there is a luxury home on a hilltop and there is no water but this spring, which feeds both houses and wildlife. Lots of pics from the past 6 months with very good water flow. The home runs on batteries, but one of things I need to check out is the possibility to convert to solar panels.

This house is almost certainly already solar powered. How else would they charge the batteries?

Just be careful, if you want to completely power a luxury home, that includes air conditioning, it takes an enormous amount of solar panels and batteries.

Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6121974 01/06/16 05:59 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I would be very skeptical of a live spring providing water. The last six months were wetter than heck. In the last drought portions of the medina river were bone dry for a while, I would bet that spring was too.

My grandmother inherited a farm from her parents. Back in the day she got the part that had a live spring on it so she got 1/3 or so the acreage of the others. Back then apparently it was a big deal. The spring hasn't run in years now and may never again.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Medina County - thoughts [Re: John Humbert] #6122369 01/06/16 09:06 PM
J
John Humbert Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
J
Stxranchman, from the PICTURES - the house looks cool and has a nice kitchen - I could be happy there and the views look tremendous. But I know this place has been on the market for a while so there is SOMETHING that is "off" about it. I see lots of potential gotcha's with the property, but it has peaked my interest - especially if I put some money into it and be "off the grid".

Wildlife/Hunting could be an issue - I know it will be quite a bit less than other places on my list to check out, but this place is "unique" in many ways, and potentially I could high-fence it.

Just interested in checking it out. Every place I look into I learn a bit more, and think of new things. I might be able to get this place at a significantly reduced price than it is listed.

It's funny - sometime things work out for the best. I came close to purchasing THREE different places last year - waited too long on one, and actually put a contract on two others - just fell through for a variety of reasons. Now, six months later, with oil prices crashing, world in chaos - I am reviewing some of the listings from last summer and in many cases the prices have been reduced 20-30%!!! No kidding. Bet that guy that turned down my offer on one place is sucking wind right now - cuz prices went down $500/ac in his area.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide