My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. #6113603 01/01/16 10:53 PM
G
GimmeABuck Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
Hey y'all

So yesterday AM I went to check my snares and sure enough I got a nice healthy, FAT coon in one. Put it down with .22 and took it home to try my hand at skinning out little guys for hides. I cut around her vent and about 1/3rd the way up the tail, and work around the bone to get my fingers up in there. Got the old man to hold one side and we pulled and the damn tail ripped in half bang realmad I finish the job for practice and am actually pretty pleased with how I did on the head.

So my question is, why did the tail rip? I don't think I accidentally sliced hide around the tail but it suppose it's possible. Is there a better way that cutting up 1/3 and pulling? How bad is it to just split it all the way?

Also, I have a blackbuck hide and now my coon waiting in the freezer for the day when there is extra money to play with and get them tanned. I would really like to tan them myself. The internet is sort of overwhelming with info and methods. I would like to find a chemical based method that I can whip up in relatively small batches.

Also, if I am going to get into hides, what are the most essential supplies? I am thinking a true fleshing knife and board are top priority. Tail stripper? Something else?

Thank y'all in advance, and here is a pic of the coon not showing the shameful half tail laugh

Re: My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. [Re: GimmeABuck] #6113663 01/01/16 11:25 PM
J
Jeff Thomason Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Very common mistake. Get you two sticks or what they call a tail stripper. Put it on both sides of the tail and pull up along the bone. Tail should slide right out. You'll get the hang of it!

Re: My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. [Re: GimmeABuck] #6113703 01/01/16 11:48 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
You could use the hunter-gatherer way of tanning:

1) deflesh
2) make brain soup and rub into skin
3) Smoke
4) Soften by working

But if you use taxidermist methods, just order the chemicals from a taxidermy site:

Taxidermy Tanning Products

Re: My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. [Re: Jeff Thomason] #6114353 01/02/16 12:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Jeff Thomason
Very common mistake. Get you two sticks or what they call a tail stripper. Put it on both sides of the tail and pull up along the bone. Tail should slide right out. You'll get the hang of it!

This^^

I skin about an inch of the base of the tail, then use 2 short pieces of rebar. As said above, you then place the sticks/ steel on either side of the skinned tail portion, grab both sticks on both sides, squeeze and pull towards the tip of the tail. Only squeeze hard enough to snug the rods to the tail bones. This is easier if it is nearly the last part to skin, you need some a bit of slack in the hide.

Using an air compressor and nozzle, you can shoot air into the hide and most of it will nearly peel off after you make your other cuts. Just make sure the needle is between the hide and sinew layers, not into the muscle. Ever see a cool basket ball grin

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. [Re: GimmeABuck] #6114836 01/02/16 07:07 PM
G
GimmeABuck Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
G
Appreciate the responses, guys! So when I am using sticks (or rebar) I am assuming the animal is hanging by back feet and I am going to be working downward? I don't know why I am having such a hard time visualizing this blush

As I skin about 20 feet from my air compressor, I HAVE to try that method! It sounds quick and easy. I will be careful not to inflate a fuzzy beach ball laugh

I found a method of tanning online that is basically pickling salt, alum, and then some peanut oil to keep the hide soft.... the finished product looked nice, but is this going to preserve the hide as well as taxidermist chemicals?

Thanks yall

Re: My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. [Re: GimmeABuck] #6115816 01/03/16 10:52 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
If you can watch youtube where you're at, see if this video will give you an better idea. In this case, the fella is using a commercial tail stripper, so you don't actually need both hands (they are hinged on one side). The video looses picture during the actual pull, but you should get the idea. Using strong sticks are metal, you just use both hand (one on either side of the tail) to grip the 2 sticks on the tail and pull. Probably better videos online though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czJCNFXHgmA

As far as the "fuzzy beachball" grin, You know the air is getting around the body, you may have to use the needle on the paw wrist as well. When my daughter was around 6, I had 3 blown up just goofing around, looked outside the shop and she was kicking those "fuzz balls around", having a blast grin

It works on almost any animal, just harder on like rabbit skin, or tree rats, since they tear easy. I have seen air used in commercial slaughter houses and where I got the idea back in the early 80's iirc.

Can't say on the tanning. I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of tanning "stuff" over the years and honestly never used it once blush

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: My first time skinning a coon and a few Qs.. [Re: GimmeABuck] #6117223 01/04/16 02:56 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
You can use whatever you want to get the end result but a good pair of tail strippers is what you need, this is just a pic I pulled off the net

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide