Page 1 of 2 1 2
Are you guys #6113360 01/01/16 08:24 PM
S
sallysue Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
seeing any #'s of birds this year I am not seeing that many compared to last year

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6113393 01/01/16 08:49 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Nope, between more water and warm temps, our year has been bad, really, really bad.

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6113403 01/01/16 08:57 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Haven't seen less ducks but the first 2/3 of the season was 90% GWT.

Big ducks just showed up last week.

Lots of hunts just like this:

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 01/01/16 09:02 PM.
Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6113728 01/02/16 12:01 AM
C
Canvasback Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Saw much more opening weekend than this week. Frustrating.

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6114096 01/02/16 02:39 AM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Challenging. Places that were dependable last couple years are not holding birds this year.

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6114480 01/02/16 02:51 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I haven't even bothered to buy license yet......I've never seen it like this and have been living nearly on The Barney since 2004. I normally don't hunt the first segment at all unless it has been cold early because we usually don't have very many birds down if it is warm. We've been scouting 4 times for the past couple of weeks and I can almost count on both hands the number of ducks I've seen total.....I got up @ LST this morning just to see if I could here some shooting, I've done this a couple of times previously this season with the same results. It was almost total silence. Under normal conditions I would have heard 100's of shots fired in the matter of a few minutes on a Saturday morning. I know they are coming down part of the flyway. My first cousin posted on Facebook a limit of greenheads and pintails he took last Saturday morning near Fort Necessity, Louisiana which is in the Mississippi flyway.....They just aren't here yet. I'm going to give them a couple of more weeks and if they aren't down by then, I'm calling this one done. We will try again next year........but if it goes down that way I'll spend the money I was going to use for license @ Mack's PW for more waterfowl gear.... smile

Last edited by lakewaydr50; 01/02/16 03:06 PM.

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6114525 01/02/16 03:22 PM
B
BULSPRG Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I agree, its been a very tough year. From the lack of weather to our north and this being the wettest year in 116 years for north Texas its made being a public duck hunter in Texas hard. I think we have a reasonable amount of ducks but with all the flooding they have unlimited areas to sit in with out being pressured. I have been seeing ducks on what I like to call indicator ponds, these are ponds I have consistently noticed ducks on when the hunting has been good since early Dec. From some of the reports I have seen and people I have talked to you either have them or you don't, they are spread out due to all the high water this year. As duck hunters we will have years like this, that's why the good years are so special.

Let em Work
Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6114547 01/02/16 03:37 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Yep BULSPRG, I was banking on it being a banner year and spent money on new gear to make it an even better year. I have what I call indicator ponds around here too and right now they are naked of ducks, Geese are thin too, I've only seen one flock of probably less than 100 snows so far. I figured this extra water would spread them out some but its almost as if they all stayed up north around here.....so far. I'm hoping for some sub 20 degree weather before this is over. That will ice up the shallows and bottoms and force them on to the larger bodies of water. I had this situation a few years back and wound up having a really great second segment hunting the edges of the ice in timber on the lake...........

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Are you guys [Re: lakewaydr50] #6114586 01/02/16 04:04 PM
B
BULSPRG Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
Yep BULSPRG, I was banking on it being a banner year and spent money on new gear to make it an even better year. I have what I call indicator ponds around here too and right now they are naked of ducks, Geese are thin too, I've only seen one flock of probably less than 100 snows so far. I figured this extra water would spread them out some but its almost as if they all stayed up north around here.....so far. I'm hoping for some sub 20 degree weather before this is over. That will ice up the shallows and bottoms and force them on to the larger bodies of water. I had this situation a few years back and wound up having a really great second segment hunting the edges of the ice in timber on the lake...........

Me too, I have a new 40hp motor that's been in the lake 3 times, let's hope for cold weather up north and pray the COE can drop these lake levels before it's over.

Let em Work
Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6114616 01/02/16 04:21 PM
S
sallysue Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Crazy year

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6114635 01/02/16 04:37 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I've seen decent (not great) numbers off, and on.
But in years past they were more predictable. This year you can find ducks one day, but they are gone the next even without pressure. Sure makes hunting them more of a challenge.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Are you guys [Re: lakewaydr50] #6114933 01/02/16 08:35 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I haven't even bothered to buy license yet......I've never seen it like this and have been living nearly on The Barney since 2004. I normally don't hunt the first segment at all unless it has been cold early because we usually don't have very many birds down if it is warm. We've been scouting 4 times for the past couple of weeks and I can almost count on both hands the number of ducks I've seen total.....I got up @ LST this morning just to see if I could here some shooting, I've done this a couple of times previously this season with the same results. It was almost total silence. Under normal conditions I would have heard 100's of shots fired in the matter of a few minutes on a Saturday morning. I know they are coming down part of the flyway. My first cousin posted on Facebook a limit of greenheads and pintails he took last Saturday morning near Fort Necessity, Louisiana which is in the Mississippi flyway.....They just aren't here yet. I'm going to give them a couple of more weeks and if they aren't down by then, I'm calling this one done. We will try again next year........but if it goes down that way I'll spend the money I was going to use for license @ Mack's PW for more waterfowl gear.... smile

I must have hunted the lake you live near this morning hammer

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6115196 01/02/16 11:55 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Numbers per hunt best ever- our food took off this year and had great hunts. Water hurt food on wetland but attracted tons of waterfowl at our big impoundment. 500+ on iit yesterday afternoon- 2 limits today after setting up wrong - missed out on better quality puddlers at LST- competed w ducks on water- flooded to 40-50 acres- but had birds moving entire am. Off water by 9:30

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6115482 01/03/16 02:43 AM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I've seen similar to you Greek, I hunt public though not places with food. Found loafing areas and have had more birds per hunt this year than years past. Also the last couple of years has been mainly Gaddies and Teal, this year it's been Mallards and Pintail, have really enjoyed it.

Re: Are you guys [Re: BDB] #6115548 01/03/16 03:15 AM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: BDB

Cooper WMA?

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6115723 01/03/16 05:14 AM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I went out yesterday, I had two ducks come in on my spread, but flared off before they got in gun-range. I had a coot hen swim through my spread early, but I gave her a pass so as not to scare anything else. The area off to my side was covered up in cormorants, but other than that I saw nothing. I came home with 2 coots for the day's trouble.

Last edited by bull279; 01/03/16 10:23 PM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Are you guys [Re: bull279] #6115895 01/03/16 01:42 PM
D
duckiller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: bull279
I went out yesterday, I had two duck come in on my spread but flared off before they got in gun-range. I had a coot hen swim through my spread early, but I gave her a pass so as not to scare anything else. The area off to my side was covered up in cormorants, but other than that I saw nothing. I came home with 2 coots for the day's trouble.

How do you tell a coot hen from a drake?

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6115901 01/03/16 01:46 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I think some of our fishing birds are below the flood gate or the emergency spillway right now. They've definitely found a cash cow, the rest have left to find easier meals. All this water has the bait fish to thin for their taste......I have yet to see a coot..........I did hit the front porch this morning to listen for some LST shots and heard absolutely nothing. My neighbors heat pump was running so the noise may have kept me from hearing anything far away..........
I'm starting to feel the urge to make a trip to Walmart to shop for some trotline gear coming on though.......

Last edited by lakewaydr50; 01/03/16 01:56 PM.

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6116000 01/03/16 02:51 PM
C
Canvasback Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Goose egg this morning and last Wednesday. I've only shot 6 total this season, with 2 being most on a hunt. All gadwall. Think I'll call it a season after today.

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6116037 01/03/16 03:15 PM
R
RiverRunner Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
We are seeing a lot of birds and have had a very good season so far. We have found birds in places I would expect and then have also found few where I would expect. Scouting is key....

We are carrying a 5 Bird per man per hunt average through 20 some odd hunts so far. They are out there but you have to put in some scouting.

Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6116289 01/03/16 06:20 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I didn't see a single bird before the split. Went yesterday and had one central tx mallard pass over but never within range.

On the way home I saw a bunch on a tank off of the interstate. We just never got a good push from up north and what birds are in the area are scattered.

A buddy of mine talked with his folks in Kansas and they are expecting some more cold weather. Maybe that will push more down here.

[Linked Image]
Re: Are you guys [Re: lakewaydr50] #6116409 01/03/16 07:52 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BDB

Cooper WMA?

Yep

Re: Are you guys [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6116493 01/03/16 08:56 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
I've seen similar to you Greek, I hunt public though not places with food. Found loafing areas and have had more birds per hunt this year than years past. Also the last couple of years has been mainly Gaddies and Teal, this year it's been Mallards and Pintail, have really enjoyed it.

Only 1 pintail and 5 mallards YTD- which is low for me- typically last few weeks up near Red gets is more mallards- got 4 today gadwalls and 2 red heads- tons of them this year. Passed on ringers after yesterday - hunted solo. Could have skillet shot pair mallards after LST about 50 yards out that cut the spred short. Didn't feel like wounding them/ shooting them in water.

Typical- had 2 pair of Gaddies come in at 9. I was picking up. hammer

Last edited by Greekangler; 01/03/16 08:59 PM.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Are you guys [Re: duckiller] #6116529 01/03/16 09:17 PM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: duckiller
Originally Posted By: bull279
I went out yesterday, I had two duck come in on my spread but flared off before they got in gun-range. I had a coot hen swim through my spread early, but I gave her a pass so as not to scare anything else. The area off to my side was covered up in cormorants, but other than that I saw nothing. I came home with 2 coots for the day's trouble.

How do you tell a coot hen from a drake?

Head plumage and hens are smaller

Last edited by bull279; 01/03/16 10:21 PM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Are you guys [Re: sallysue] #6116551 01/03/16 09:33 PM
D
dallasdawg Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Terrible year for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index