Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,023
Posts9,719,508
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help #6110179 12/30/15 10:45 PM
M
Maxwell H Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Hi all. My Dad and I just got back from a few days in Port Aransas looking for ducks. While we were able to get limits each day, those limits were filled a bit too quickly since they consisted entirely of two redheads apiece. We saw thousands of ducks, and they were on kamikaze missions for our decoys, but each and every one of them was a redhead. (FYI: we were hunting the bay just west of the airport / Island Moorings marina.)

A little background: We're both originally from Arkansas, and are both avid duck hunters. I moved down here 10 years ago and have "adapted" to Texas in that I now spend most of my hunting time and dollars chasing whitetails, but he just moved to town last year and is one of the most dedicated duck hunters on earth (his license plate back in Arkansas was "DUKWAKY"). After our first forays into duck hunting on the coast last year (wade-in near the Port A water tower), he decided to get himself a duck boat (a Beavertail with an integrated pop-up blind), which worked great but sort of seemed like overkill for 2 birds per person per day.

So here's where you come in: I need your help finding places that we can hunt (and preferably more fully fill our stringers). I'm not looking for your honey holes (although, as few opportunities as our schedule permit us to hunt, we probably wouldn't run into you even if you DID share your duck treasure map with me), I'm just looking for some ideas of places we can go for a couple days here and there where we might have decent hunting opportunities. We would definitely consider the Corpus Christi vicinity as an option. We were also thinking of checking out Daughtrey/Choke Canyon in a couple of weeks to see what that might have to offer (we drove by on our way down last week to check out the launches, and that area definitely looks "ducky" to me)! Someone else had mentioned the Lake Corpus Christi might be an option, though looking into that, it seems like the vast majority is off-limits, and that access would be difficult in any event. We even had a server in Port Aransas mention that the Refugio area (where she was from) is crawling with ducks and duck hunters.

I would really appreciate any advice, tips, warnings, encouragement, condolences, or PM's that y'all might have to offer.

God bless and Happy (nearly) New Year.

Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6110464 12/31/15 01:26 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
You want to kill puddlers down here you need to find fresh water, or if you want to kill different divers get more in open water awY from the banks,

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6111084 12/31/15 01:33 PM
C
captmike Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Choke Canyon has lots of ducks. Call Mike Kerr out of Taft, he is a lab trainer and avid duck hunter. The flats around A P are holding lots of ducks, I would suggest staying away from light house trail and Brown & Roots flats, and East Flats South since there will be hunters behind every bush. The last front just pushed in lots of ducks, beside redheads, and with all the high water this fall that has not helped, but the rest of season will be good.

Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6111569 12/31/15 05:45 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
choke

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6112383 01/01/16 02:15 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
There's puddlers down there. You just gotta find em and go where other people aren't. This is my second year out there and I'm just starting to figure these birds out. When you find em, they're pretty thick

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6112481 01/01/16 03:21 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I grew up in port A. All you OOSERS have built houses and golf courses on some of the best puddle duck holes on the island, why I bought a place in Matagorda

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Jeff Elder] #6113186 01/01/16 06:25 PM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
I grew up in port A. All you OOSERS have built houses and golf courses on some of the best puddle duck holes on the island, why I bought a place in Matagorda

Agreed

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6132268 01/12/16 06:13 PM
M
Maxwell H Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. I think we're going to go scout Choke next weekend by boat and then plan to hunt it for a few days the following weekend.

And hey--I haven't built any houses or golf courses in Port A--pretty sure those all came from folks in San Antonio and Houston! laugh

Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6132321 01/12/16 06:52 PM
E
Erich Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
E
there's a lot of ducks at choke canyon. just need a typeII public hunting permit. and must stay 200yds away from any recreational shoreline.

I'm not a good duck hunter by any means, my brother and I used to take a john boat up possum creek or up the frio and would find main river points and get out on the bank and hide in the brush and pass shoot ducks. on the WMA shoreline...not private property. need to look at a map book and pay attention to where you are.

was always a good time. lots of bird variety.

Outdoorsman
Re: San Antonio (and Port Aransas) duck hunters need your help [Re: Maxwell H] #6134021 01/13/16 07:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
PM sent

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide