Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6113240 01/01/16 07:01 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
In his defense, he said aftermarket parts ARE available, and lauds the trigger and the action.

I've never owned or even handled a Tikka - but shooters whose opinions I respect all say the same things about them. They are great shooters, but nobody is impressed with the bolt shroud or how the trigger-guard is handled. The aftermarket metal bolt shrouds have been around for a while, and now there is bottom metal available, addressing the two areas where I have heard complaints.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6113246 01/01/16 07:04 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I wasn't aware a Tikka was twice the price of a Weatherby Vanguard 2. In fact, I know it is not.

I haven't priced Howas but I suspect they are more than $300-400.

Several Howa models for $368.00 at Bud's. - And these have the "Make an offer" button meaning that Buds will take a bit less.

Vanguards cost a bit more.

Last edited by charlesb; 01/01/16 07:07 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6113251 01/01/16 07:08 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you've never handled, owned, or shot a Tikka then you shouldn't even offer an opinion on the subject because you're just regurgitating someone else's opinion. I've been shooting them since 1997 and they are boringly accurate, tough, reliable, as smooth as an action gets, great adjustable trigger.

As far as the Nosler Patriot, tell me where else you can get a custom fiber stock, custom trigger, cerkote, custom match grade barrel, proprietary action, etc for $1400?

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: Jgraider] #6113285 01/01/16 07:26 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
If you've never handled, owned, or shot a Tikka then you shouldn't even offer an opinion on the subject because you're just regurgitating someone else's opinion. I've been shooting them since 1997 and they are boringly accurate, tough, reliable, as smooth as an action gets, great adjustable trigger.

As far as the Nosler Patriot, tell me where else you can get a custom fiber stock, custom trigger, cerkote, custom match grade barrel, proprietary action, etc for $1400?

So - I should trust your opinion - and ignore the opinions of civilized, intelligent shooters whom I have learned to respect, over the years?

Be sure and hold your breath while waiting for that to happen.

My comment about the Nosler was that it uses a Howa-made action. - Anything else, pro or con was just your imagination.

So - your rude post only confirmed that you have desire to be rude - and have not read, or perhaps not understood what you have read here.

You've been rude and made a fool of yourself. - Mission accomplished! banana

Last edited by charlesb; 01/01/16 07:30 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: charlesb] #6113303 01/01/16 07:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
"Hey kettle, this is the pot. You're black."

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: J.G.] #6113310 01/01/16 07:48 PM
B
BushFamilyNine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: charlesb] #6113348 01/01/16 08:14 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Originally Posted By: Jgraider

So - I should trust your opinion - and ignore the opinions of civilized, intelligent shooters whom I have learned to respect, over the years?

Be sure and hold your breath while waiting for that to happen.

My comment about the Nosler was that it uses a Howa-made action. - Anything else, pro or con was just your imagination.

So - your rude post only confirmed that you have desire to be rude - and have not read, or perhaps not understood what you have read here.

You've been rude and made a fool of yourself. - Mission accomplished! banana

Big difference is......I actually own and use what I'm commenting on. You're just guessing. Even you should be able to see the contrast. I've probably culled more big game animals than you've ever shot at, so I'm not guessing.

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6113352 01/01/16 08:18 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There's so many good choices out there, handle and shoot (if possible) as many rifles as you can. Go with the one that feels right to you and suits your uses best. I own or have owned Remington, Savage, Weatherby, Tikka, Browning, Sako, Winchester, etc. They all have certain attributes that appeal to me and certain things I don't like so much. I handload for them all so I think I've at the very least approached each rifle's accuracy potential. The perfect rifle is different for everyone. What a boring world it would be without choices.

That being said, the three rifles I like the most out of the box are the Browning X Bolt, Tikka T3 Lite and Winchester Model 70 (FN CRF).

JMO, YMMV. cheers

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: tth_40] #6113507 01/01/16 10:03 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: tth_40
There's so many good choices out there, handle and shoot (if possible) as many rifles as you can. Go with the one that feels right to you and suits your uses best. I own or have owned Remington, Savage, Weatherby, Tikka, Browning, Sako, Winchester, etc. They all have certain attributes that appeal to me and certain things I don't like so much. I handload for them all so I think I've at the very least approached each rifle's accuracy potential. The perfect rifle is different for everyone. What a boring world it would be without choices.

That being said, the three rifles I like the most out of the box are the Browning X Bolt, Tikka T3 Lite and Winchester Model 70 (FN CRF).

JMO, YMMV. cheers

This guy gets it.

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6116466 01/03/16 08:38 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I agree with Charlesb that a Vanguard is not a Howa. Same action but everything else is different. And there are plenty of gunsmiths that will rebarrel one. A plain jane Tikka costs considerably more than a plain jane Vanguard but not twice as much. Quality wise a Tikka is not better than a Vanguard and there is no question Vanguard's have superior quality synthetic stocks. But both rifles come with a sub-moa guarantee, and for someone like me that strictly hunts and doesn't punch paper - there is no way I'll ever wear a barrel out.

I don't like small loading/ejection ports on a rifle which the Tikka has. The flip side though is that theoretically you have a stronger receiver because it is more rigid. I've always known I'd never own a Tikka because I've had several shoulder operations and Tikka's are just too light, and I'm anti muzzle brake. That was until yesterday.

JD4030 has a new stainless Tikka 7mm-08 that I had to special order for him. He had it threaded for a suppressor which he received recently. Yesterday I mounted a scope on it and we sighted it in while we were sighting in Fonzie's rifle. The accuracy was as advertised which I knew would it be. What blew me away was the lack of recoil. I'd never shot suppressed before. Got to get me one of those bad boys.

So, unsuppressed give me a Vanguard(there are three in the family) and I prefer a 24" barrel most of the time. Suppressed, I will give serious thought to a Tikka.

To the OP, both are good choices, pick what you like the best.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: tth_40] #6116473 01/03/16 08:43 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

JMO, YMMV. cheers

And the rifles I like out of the box are CZ, Winchester and Weatherby. We are both right there are no wrong answers here.

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6116524 01/03/16 09:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Howa and then put a timney in it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6121862 01/06/16 05:08 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Howa is made in Japan. They have the same round top receiver dimensions as the Remington, but are definitely not made by Remington. They have a one piece bolt, the Sako style extractor and are usually very accurate. Quite a few aftermarket goodies available for them. Would by far be my first choice.

You did what?
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: TFF Caribou] #6129836 01/11/16 06:47 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I would quit buying new rifles for a little while and get yourself the reloading equipment you've been wanting.

I got all the reloading equipment every thing a member on here sold me a press for 40$ and i just bought every thing els pice by pice some of it i had from when my dad possessed all i had to buy were a few small items
I am thinking off the weather be vanguard even though I liked the mossburg feel it was quit comfortable the bold cold use a little work but that is it I thought about the tika i held it and played with it for a while in the shop but the vanguard I thought was a bit more comfortable the 270 would not be for me but i passed on it and a buddy bought it. i apical all the comments i would have replied sooner but i forgot i even made this post I set aside enough money to get my younger his own gun he wanted a 270 so that is what i am looking for since i cold not do the bedding on my stock the money i had set aside for that and the money i saved for buying the scopes for my other guns i got on sale i was able to save a little more money and put it toward a new gun. I dont mined buying used guns but i am not going to pay almost new price for a used gun. i wold rather just buy it new I really like my access with skinny neck on the stock It feels like i have excellent controls and with the triger lightened I am more then happy with the way it shoots. put money away for a new jun and well that is whay i am going to do I have my reloading stuff now the only thing i had to acetyl pay for was a trimmer. i had just about every thing I have to get powder and primers this week and am going to started reloading some of the empty brass i have for the 22-250 and see how it goes.

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6129837 01/11/16 06:50 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
if i had to chose between the vanguard and the tika just off feel i would personly pic the Weatherby i have never fired either one so i cant tell you wich is the better shooting but in the shop my vote goes to the vanguard

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6129838 01/11/16 07:06 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I wasn't aware a Tikka was twice the price of a Weatherby Vanguard 2. In fact, I know it is not.

I haven't priced Howas but I suspect they are more than $300-400.

our right every one has different likes and dislikes I caught crap for my 243 being an axis but i liked it a lot i just thad the trigger redone I like the mossburg feel and weight being a fluted barrel and bolt the action was not as nice as the howa or vanguard tika but it was a quite comfortable gun to hold and shoulder but so was the vanguard the vanguard is suppose to just sub mao our of the box but so did my axis for a who lot less money the Mossburg is about half the price of the Vanguard and Tika I like the feel and sholdering of the vanguard and Browning the Vanguard is more accurate but not by much is the 250$ worth extrea money personly i dont feel it does I know the other guns have Much better quality I did like the howa and now i see i can get one from buds gun shop for 350 i may go with the howa its 50$ more the the Mossburg a little heaver better accrue and better action i usr want to hold one again and the hops around here dont carry them i have to go 45mins away just to look at I will let every one know what i denied. I may go with the MOSSBURG do to the price and weight i can save a few hundred and get a better set up for my son any one know how much the fees are to buy a gun from buds and use there prefers dealers

Last edited by chemdawg; 01/11/16 07:43 AM.
Re: 7mm-08 [Re: tth_40] #6129839 01/11/16 07:25 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C

JMO, YMMV. cheers

your right for every one is different in what they like just because something cost more does not mean it is the bette rifles for that person. I handles the tika i did not shoot one or ever fire one. I have shot the vanguard and i see on buds the how is quite cheap i did like the 270 till i seen what they sold for I dont know how it shoots i cant fined much on it so as of right now it is the mossburg or the vanguard 2 or another axis and have the triger redon for 100$ i apricate eveyonse feed back but nth 40 is right every one has differs likes i feel i can give up the accuracy the vanguard has over the browning and be happy with it when i reload my won rounds then it comes a quality issue I have had the same 2 moss burg 500 trophy shotgun with the scoped rifled barrels and have takes a [censored] load of deer with it in Ny shotguns are what you are hunting dear with unless you go up north poole talked trash about them till the shoot them then they like it all of a sudden. it s a great slug gun but every one has different likes and dislikes some people are just die hard fans of on patiulrer brand over an other me i am not i just like the gun to be accurate something the moss burg rifle really is not it is a good deer rifle but your not going to win any contestes with it I like how like it was for me having to carry something of distace even a pound or tow makes a difference in how i feel 2 hours later. so i do tend to like lighter guns and the Mossburg wins that with hands down. it had a nice action but near as good as the howa can vanguard or the Tika wich had the smoothest. i am going to the shop later in the week to check some more out and decide and have them order it or buy it online were i dont have to pay tax but the shopping chargers my be more decisions decisions

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6131704 01/12/16 06:24 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
what do you think of the 1500 howa from Buds gun shop i loved the way the 270 work in my hand the boilts was smother and fit tight it did not feel back in my ares or taking sight pictures it was right no spot then looking down the barrel I am really leaning toward they vanguard or the moss burg they all the there prose and cons it comes down what i fee comfortable with i just handed t
i narrowed it downe
to the
weatherbey
Mossburg
Hows for a little more i get the how that was much nicer then the moss burt
Axis if cant make up my mined

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6131712 01/12/16 06:40 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I recently acquired a Weatherby vanguard and have been very impressed with it. It shoots the Hornady whitetail loads very accurate and the trigger is very crisp. I know you wont be disappointed if you get one.

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6131723 01/12/16 06:55 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
that is why i have heard and buds gun has them for 517 i am really considering it but i like the weight and balance of the mosburg with the fluted barrel and bolt it made it very comfortable i may buy it i am just stuck right now

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: chemdawg] #6132072 01/12/16 04:08 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
My wife shoots a Remington Model 700 in 7mm-08 that she's had since her dad bought it for her back in 1992. I used it to kill a heavy 5.5 year old 10 pt buck last season; dropped-dead right right where he stood without taking an extra step from about 136 yards.

This year, my wife and I took 3 does and a 4.5 year old 8 pt buck with that same rifle. I'm not going to lie - it's a joy to shoot, and I keep making excuses to leave my beloved Browning a-bolt .270 at home and bring her "little" 7mm-08.

Re: 7mm-08 [Re: dawaba] #6133413 01/13/16 06:53 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
You should buy that used Howa for $300

I agree. The Vanguard is a Howa re-marked by Weatherby. I like the Tikka better, but it will cost you twice as much as the Vanguard. And.....with your savings, you could get started on reloading, as another poster has suggested.

I hear that often, about a Vanguard being a Howa. They have the same action but different barrels, stocks and triggers. To me they aren't the same rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide