Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112284 01/01/16 01:11 AM
M
Murphscout Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I found out when I was a kid trying to earn a Cub Scout archery merit badge of all things. Couldn't hit a target shooting RH to save my life. Instructor asked if I was LH and I saiid no. Gave me LH bow for grins and starting pummeling the target. From then forward went lefty. Even starting swinging a baseball bat that way. Became fully ambi in couple years. Changed a lot of things for me

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: RiverRider] #6112298 01/01/16 01:16 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
You sayin I ain't weird?

wtf

Of course not.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112333 01/01/16 01:34 AM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm in the same situation now. I've known it for years. I'm primarily right handed and of course growing up always shot right handed. I don't know if my eye dominance changed when I got older or what but I'm 100% left eye dominant now. With rifles I'm not to bad but a shot gun or pistol is entirely different story. I'm teaching myself to shoot everything left handed now and being 32 it's hard. I mostly shoot shotguns left handed now and my accuracy is 10x better being able to shoot that way. I don't miss a lot. Still doesn't feel natural to me but we are getting there. Pistols I'm trying but can shoot either way now that I know. Rifles I'm not gonna take anything left handed yet but after deer season gonna give it a shot on hogs and get some confidence built up.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112510 01/01/16 03:49 AM
W
Wylietx107 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. Always have. My brain and left hand have a failure to communicate. I ain't the best shot in the world but I ain't bad either. I usually leave both eye open target shooting. Animal killing I close my left eye. It works for me and has for 25 or so years.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112521 01/01/16 04:00 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Right handed left eye dominate here as well. When was a kid and head a lot smaller shot right handed but used my left eye to aim. Became much more difficult as I got older and learned to cope with it by closing my left eye. Read as a kid in Outdoor Life that to be ready for any hunting situation you need to be ambidextrous in shooting and took that to heart with the BB gun and learned to shoot either handed.

These days doesn't matter with shotgun or rifle either shoulder, in a skeet league would switch between shoulders on rounds and had the same average score from each but have to shut the left eye when shooting right handed. Handguns I am not that good shooting left handed but use the left eye when shooting right handed.

I guess you could say I am mixed up on the handed/eye thing, still shoot mostly right handed mostly with Bow, rifle, shotgun and handgun but can hit with either side with all of them except am much better with handguns using dominate right hand and left eye.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112565 01/01/16 04:37 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
First check with your optometrist, eye dominance can change while growing and also once a person gets into their 50's or older. Also, if your son is wearing glasses, (hope not at his age), prescription can be changed to match dominance. A piece of clear scotch tape over a shooting glasses lens can also help with dominance yet still let enough light through to allow for depth perception. I'm 61 and my dominance started to change about 3 years ago causing skeet scores to plummet....had prescription changed and all is back to normal.

P_102

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112707 01/01/16 08:25 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I am also right-handed and left eye dominant. This has never been a problem for me and even though my eyesight is starting to change, I still have no problems shooting MOA or better. It's all about practice and becoming comfortable. Making your kid shoot in an uncomfortable way may discourage them from developing the love for shooting and hunting we all desire them to have.

Let them shoot how they want. Left eye dominance is easily overcome for most folks with solid trigger time. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6112741 01/01/16 11:59 AM
O
OneShotSam Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Here's my story. My Dad noticed on my first or second quail hunt that (at about 5 or 6) that I was holding my 410 right and shooting with my right eye closed. He tried to correct that until it an eye exam proved I had 80-200 vision in my right eye. The doctor said it was a lazy eye and prescribed wear an eye patch, we did that on and off for a year or so...no help, still all the while Dad still taking me along. I kept on shooting, all ways being behind the quail, but after a few years and many dove/quail hunts I started to figure that out and started getting out in front of them and leading them right. And believe it or not that transferred to an open sighted rifle. The eye sight never did improve over the next several years, and then a scope came along.....now what (my method didn't work) I started shooting left handed with a little 243 with a 3x9 weaver....man was that strange, but over the next several years and many adjustments and practice I could really shoot. The eye sight thing never did bother me, or hamper me. It was thought that my left eye got all the vision both both eyes, because I could see a quail blink at 100 yards. In fact a quide ask me years later if I plugged that thing in at night, I asked to what he was referring to? He said that bionic eye..lol ..to say all that to say this, some 60 years later, I still can shoot a shotgun right or left handed and shoot a scoped rifle left only with a right handed gun ( I didn't even know they made a left hand gun....for years). I still teach today to shoot right and left at a very young age in case later there is an accident later, you never know. So I would recommend, first make sure there is nothing wrong with the eye sight. Then teach him to shoot on both sides of a weapon with both eyes open ....best thing ever ....and draws interesting talks at the gun clubs. Good luck, if I can be of assistance PM me.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6114164 01/02/16 03:25 AM
E
Endgame
Unregistered
Endgame
Unregistered
E
I grew up shooting and never knew I was left eye dominant till I was in my 30s. I learned how to throw my dominance without even knowing it. I simply squint my left eye a bit which throws my dominance to the opposite eye. Once in the military I learned to shoot with both eyes open and to shoot from both strong side and support side. After while I was able to throw my dominance without even thinking about it. All that said, If I was 7 yrs old I would hope someone would start me out on my dominant side.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6114189 01/02/16 03:50 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
That's the plan, now. I've got a youth model H&R single shot that's still too big for him because he's so small. I'm going to hack off a few inches of the stock for him, get him shooting the Cricket left handed, and have him ready for deer season when he's 8, hopefully.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Simple Searcher] #6114224 01/02/16 04:28 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I am in the same boat, 66 old though. I can have both eyes open looking through scope with left eye, using right eye I have to shut my left (go cross eyed if I try both open). Didn't realize this till a real late age, try to hold the rifle left handed it gets me all screwed up.
What should I do, if anything?

I am 50 now and I just close my left eye when rifle hunting. I shoot better than anyone I know that makes a big deal over how awesome they are because they can keep both eyes open.
Now shooting a shotgun is a whole different story.

Left eye here and shoot right handed and always have. No problems at all for me i just close my left eye. But my eyes have always been pretty sensitive to the sun so I squint my left eye shut a lot so it's 2nd nature to me. I would let him shoot how it feels good to him, but that's just my 2cents because I'm no expert by any means.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6114247 01/02/16 04:53 AM
T
tannerlst Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My son is 8 and has same problem. He shot two deer this year left handed

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: tannerlst] #6114252 01/02/16 05:02 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: tannerlst
My son is 8 and has same problem. He shot two deer this year left handed

Good deal.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6114298 01/02/16 05:53 AM
L
Luke27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Same boat here, just keep my left eye closed and Im on target.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: P_102] #6114592 01/02/16 04:08 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: P_102
First check with your optometrist, eye dominance can change while growing and also once a person gets into their 50's or older. Also, if your son is wearing glasses, (hope not at his age), prescription can be changed to match dominance. A piece of clear scotch tape over a shooting glasses lens can also help with dominance yet still let enough light through to allow for depth perception. I'm 61 and my dominance started to change about 3 years ago causing skeet scores to plummet....had prescription changed and all is back to normal.

P_102

I'm 25 and I SWEAR, Mine has changed... I took the test before when i was young and showed me right eye dominant... This year I took it again... and I was left... Idk if I cheated somehow before or what.

I think my basketball shot not developing until College was a major player in this... I went from a post only, to a legit threat on the wing(that was 60lbs ago though lol) I was trying to use right eye when I should have been focusing left, I finally trained myself but it took me YEARS...

That said, wish I had learned to shoot lefty. I can keep up with a rifle with anybody,and beat most people with a bow... but you put a shotgun in my hand and I look like a blindfolded kid trying to hit a piņata...

another thing... there is something called CO-dominance as well... it works a little differently that complete dominance, makes things odd... I have a buddy who is ambidextrous and co-domance in eyes... weird to see him pick up a bowling ball one hand then the other. I've wondered if he woulda been a great tennis player... all fore hands...

One last thing... TEACH THE BOY TO PITCH... only about 10% of the population are cross dominant. And I can't prove it but being able to see out the left eye and it being closer to the plate and coming across makes for better right handed pitchers...

Last edited by catslayer; 01/02/16 04:09 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6114670 01/02/16 05:07 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Oh, he will be taught to pitch, anyway. Or just turned loose with a baseball, one.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6120123 01/05/16 07:17 PM
T
TexasPrincess Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I wish I was taught to shoot left handed. I'm left eye dominate and right handed. I just close my left eye. However being left eye dominate and right handed makes for quicker reactions times in softball when facing a right handed pitcher I had the advantage. Clean up hitter.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. -- Susan B. Anthony
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6122588 01/06/16 10:38 PM
N
nocknload Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
My daughter Sara has the same issue discovered at Elm Fork Skeet range in DFW. The Range Officer noticed her shooting patterns and did something so simple and it was amazing fix that worked. On her safety glasses he put a piece of scotch tape over the left eye. The effect was making the visual fuzzy through the dominant left eye forcing her brain to look more out of her right eye. She shot 22 - 25 after that fix. Don't know if it works on everyone or if it was a mental thing. It did work for my Sara that day. See if that works for you.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6124268 01/07/16 08:29 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
I'm right handed but I shoot rifles and pistols, draw a bow, cast a fishing rod, throw a cast net left handed. No clue why I can't throw a ball with my left hand and can't throw a cast net with my right hand. Goofy I reckon.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6124347 01/07/16 09:11 PM
T
tehachapi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I'm also right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot a bow, rifle and pool cue lefty. I have a problem with astigmatism in my right eye and have a problem focusing. Use a left hand bolt rifle (Savage was an early and affordable left hand bolt maker) or use a lever action. Browning BLR is very good or the old Savage 99 along with the Winchester 88. Never tried a Sako Finnwolf.. I shoot a handgun rightie, but use my left eye and it makes a difference on sight adjustment.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6124375 01/07/16 09:30 PM
T
throckmorton_hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I have that problem , learned to shoot left handed at a early age , still shoot right handed guns ..

Good luck

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6127605 01/10/16 12:12 AM
Jigo23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Wow! Great thread! Like a support group smile Some of the absolute simplest and practical shooting tips (for me) I've read in a long time, thanks y'all'. I went through "the change" later in life, thankfully after I was out of the military, but still working at it. Have to resist the urge to compensate and my left hand/arm don't like to cooperate. I can't even...um well do anything left-handed. Have it down pretty well with handguns, once I finally gave in to the dark side...comfortably and accurately shoot with both eyes open right handed letting left eye to do its own thing and focuses naturally and reliably on front sight. My handgun shooting has actually improved a lot with that style in IDPA. I wear contacts but need readers and I can't see worth a dang through an AR rear peep sight. About given it up.
Glad to learn there are plenty of other mutants out there smile
Going to try out some of yall's tips, thanks!

If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta get off the porch!
Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6127762 01/10/16 01:48 AM
B
Blondieswat Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I always struggled with shooting long guns growing up. I am right handed and always shot right handed. I never knew why I sucked until I was in Marine boot camp. My firearm instructor told me "recruit shoot that rifle left handed you are left eye dominant". I qualified as a rifle expert two weeks later. The Marine Corp knows a thing or two about teaching marksmanship. Teach him to shoot a long gun left handed. I still shoot a pistol right handed. I have been a police officer for 26 years spending most of that time on SWAT Teams and in Tactical Units. It has worked out well for me.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Sneaky] #6127793 01/10/16 01:58 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I haven't read all of these but, do any of y'all remember a vitamin commercial, I think Ocuvite, where this guy is firing a bolt action rifle rapidly.....and it was either a right hander shooting a left handed rifle, or vice versa?

Think about it. I guess it would have to be a pretty light hunting rifle, or rested. However, this guy was fast.

If you were right handed, and strong enough to hold up a left handed rifle with one hand between shots, and shoot and cycle the gun with the left hand, you could be faster than working it the traditional way.

I can't find a link for the commercial.

Re: Right handed. Left eye dominant. [Re: Blondieswat] #6127878 01/10/16 02:47 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Blondieswat
I always struggled with shooting long guns growing up. I am right handed and always shot right handed. I never knew why I sucked until I was in Marine boot camp. My firearm instructor told me "recruit shoot that rifle left handed you are left eye dominant". I qualified as a rifle expert two weeks later. The Marine Corp knows a thing or two about teaching marksmanship. Teach him to shoot a long gun left handed. I still shoot a pistol right handed. I have been a police officer for 26 years spending most of that time on SWAT Teams and in Tactical Units. It has worked out well for me.

If it's good enough for the Marines, it's good enough for me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide