Forums46
Topics537,970
Posts9,731,199
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Texas Dan] #6119384 01/05/16 02:07 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Jeepercreeper

Can you please post links to said studies? Myself and others would appreciate it.

Link

I see some immediate flaws with this study:

1) It was conducted in ten states. Was one of these states TX? If so, this was prior to CHL so percentages may not be accurate.

2) It was conducted in 1982/1983. That is over 30 years ago and alot has changed since then so percentages may not be accurate.

3) Only imprisoned felons were interviewed. Imprisoned means they were caught. A bad guy that has never been caught may answer differently. How long has these felons been imprisoned? Some bad guys actually come around and see the errors of their ways when they were young and dumb.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: jeepercreeper] #6119389 01/05/16 02:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

Can you please post links to said studies? Myself and others would appreciate it.

Link

1) It was conducted in ten states. Was one of these states TX? If so, this was prior to CHL so percentages may not be accurate.

2) It was conducted in 1982/1983. That is over 30 years ago and alot has changed since then so percentages may not be accurate.

3) Only imprisoned felons were interviewed. Imprisoned means they were caught. A bad guy that has never been caught may answer differently. How long has these felons been imprisoned? Some bad guys actually come around and see the errors of their ways when they were young and dumb.

Yours are opinions rather than facts based on solid evidence.

Although it is my opinion, I feel safe saying the changes that have occurred in our society over the last 30 years is why OC is now legal in many states.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: aeb] #6119410 01/05/16 02:20 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: aeb
A couple of years ago I ran into one of my hunters filling a feeder deep in the pasture. He had a six-shooter on his hip that would make Wyatt Earp tremble in his boots. During our conversation, I asked him about his six-shooter.

"It's in case I run across a drug-crazed illegal!"

'Nuff said!

I'm not talking about private property carry. I carry on my deer lease as well. What I'm talking about is in an urban environment while out and about your daily travels in the city.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6119414 01/05/16 02:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Also, JMHO, but OC has been a response by citizens to a government they believe has been too restrictive on their rights to own and carry a firearm.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Texas Dan] #6119428 01/05/16 02:30 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

Link

1) It was conducted in ten states which are not listed. Was one of these states TX? If so, this was prior to CHL so percentages may not be accurate.

Yours are opinions rather than facts based on solid evidence.

Although it is my opinion, I feel safe saying the changes that have occurred in our society over the last 30 years is why OC is now legal in many states.

Bolded statements are facts.

I suspect if the study was conducted now, percentages may actually be higher due to increased CC and OC since the 80s. But we'll only know if a more current study is conducted.

Last edited by jeepercreeper; 01/05/16 02:36 PM.
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6120413 01/05/16 09:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I can also think of a number of events that could create a situation where local law enforcement would be overwhelmed and leave residents on their own. I saw one such event first hand during the panic that occurred in the Houston when it was believed a major hurricane would hit the area just a few months after Hurricane Katrina. It was a true eye opener. Fights and confrontations were common along I-45 as vehicles ran out of gas and people ran out of money. Not only were people fighting over gas, they were fighting over anything that would hold any amount of gas.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: jeepercreeper] #6120600 01/05/16 10:52 PM
hookem48 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Jeepercreeper,

You get mad respect because you're carrying a weapon? As a long time CHL holder, I will likely never openly carry. I'm not looking for the added attention a side arm brings as you obviously are. Good luck impressing everyone with all of your gear, glock and 2 extra mags. I'll keep my Kimber loaded hidden and ready.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: hookem48] #6120617 01/05/16 11:01 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: hookem48
Jeepercreeper,

You get mad respect because you're carrying a weapon? As a long time CHL holder, I will likely never openly carry. I'm not looking for the added attention a side arm brings as you obviously are. Good luck impressing everyone with all of your gear, glock and 2 extra mags. I'll keep my Kimber loaded hidden and ready.

That was complete sarcasm buddy. I will likely never OC either. Welcome to THF.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Texas Dan] #6122318 01/06/16 08:46 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: Mud
Do you ever have to stop in the wrong part of town to get gas? Why not, instead of concealing a weapon in your pants and hope you don't have to use it, wear it on your hip to ensure you won't have to? As stated earlier, thugs prey on the targets they know they can defeat. They, for the most part won't jack with someone they know will fight back.

As a law enforcement officer with many years of experience, I will suggest this theory is flawed. Some bad guys don't care if you are armed or not. When a person is practicing open carry in the hope of warding off trouble, he/she had better be ready to fight if the big iron doesn't intimidate the BG. Being heads-up with a command presence and aware of one's surroundings is as necessary in warding off thugs as keeping a weapon visible. Don't put yourself in a bad situation and expect the display of a weapon to save your bacon.

When I'm off duty I carry concealed because I do not want the attention.

That's because officers already deal with the added attention that comes with a car, a badge, and a uniform.

If I choose to open carry, it's for the very same reason as any officer. I want it to be more easily available should I need to use it.

Also, studies have shown that BG's are far more fearful of the private citizen with a gun than a LEO. That's most likely because they know the citizen has more freedom to be the first to pull the trigger.

Two words come to mind when I consider those situations where I might choose to OC - isolated and alone.

I'll be sure to tell my crime victims the bad guys are actually terrified of them. lizard

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: hookem48] #6122553 01/06/16 10:21 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: hookem48
Jeepercreeper,

Trying to get respect because you carry a kimber?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6122752 01/06/16 11:59 PM
I
Ihunt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I
I won't open carry much but I have twice now since Jan 1, once OWB and once IWB and didn't notice anyone giving me a second look either time. I could care less how someone else wants to carry. It is after all a right stated in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. There seems to be a lot of folks on this forum that love freedom and gun rights as long as those rights and freedoms are somewhat restricted.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6122871 01/07/16 01:06 AM
S
six_anthonys Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Because I am a law abiding citizen...that is reason enough

Thanks
6As
Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6122907 01/07/16 01:24 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Open carry doesn't appeal to me but I have never felt the desire to criticize or mock people that want to.

What is with people that get into jumping on a band wagons.........

Make America Great Again

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6122909 01/07/16 01:25 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
concealed MAYBE open carry no.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Tbar] #6122933 01/07/16 01:34 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Open carry doesn't appeal to me but I have never felt the desire to criticize or mock people that want to.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Fat Tire] #6123730 01/07/16 04:09 PM
O
OutdoorAggie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Originally Posted By: Fat Tire
Originally Posted By: Mud
Originally Posted By: NewGulf
damn how many times a week are we going to talk about this muyloco

Do you want me to start an over/under thread? Maybe make it w poll this time?

How about starting a "People of Walmart that Open Carry" picture thread?

clap

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Tbar] #6124450 01/07/16 10:25 PM
T
TonyWornick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Tbar

This.

Re: Why Would You Want To "Openly Carry". [Re: Mr. T.] #6125232 01/08/16 01:45 PM
Maddog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Why would anyone criticize someone's actions just because they don't want to do the same thing. Live and let live.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide