Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Wateterfowling emergency survival #6110401 12/31/15 12:57 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
The article about the missing waterfowlers in Oklahoma got me to thinking about being prepared for a water fowling accident or misshap. Wilderness survival has been one of my passions for many years. I've always looked at going into the wilderness as a self sustainable activity where I would never count on a rescue for my survival.

Since becoming a waterfowler I have always taken that same approach and brought my preparedness with me since I usually hunt alone and rarely let fowl weather stop me from hunting, and some of the places I hunt I would not count on running into anyone to "rescue" me.

With that being said I'm curious if any of you have also thought of self sustainable survival in the event of an accident. If so what items and techniques do you take with you on every hunt to be ready for that dreaded accident you haven't foreseen?

Myself, I consider hypothermia to be one of the deadliest killers in a waterfowling accident that may be easily avoided if prepared. So I cary a Swedish fire steel that has an emergency whistle, several blocks of Wet Fire fire starter, a pocket knife, and a SOL emergency bivy in the pocket of my life jacket every time I go waterfowling! It's no guarantee but increases my chances of survival if I make it to shore having lost everything in my canoe but what's on me.

What about you guys?

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6110500 12/31/15 01:35 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
In very cold weather, sweat is your enemy.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: beaversnipe] #6110531 12/31/15 01:52 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I agree. Dry is warm

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6110583 12/31/15 02:13 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
If I don't drown then there's usually a house or road pretty close. I personally don't carry anything.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: 68A] #6110597 12/31/15 02:24 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: 68A
If I don't drown then there's usually a house or road pretty close. I personally don't carry anything.

Well I do agree it's not always necessary depending on where you hunt. My areas tend to be more remote and not many houses nearby.

I more or less brought this up to promote discussion and see if others have thought about being ready in the event of an emergency.

Thanks for your input

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6110632 12/31/15 02:43 AM
D
DuckBlaster10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I have been thinking about this as well. I used to let someone know where I was going and when I would be back. I have been lax on this but I will make sure I am more diligent in letting someone know.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: DuckBlaster10] #6110642 12/31/15 02:49 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: DuckBlaster10
I have been thinking about this as well. I used to let someone know where I was going and when I would be back. I have been lax on this but I will make sure I am more diligent in letting someone know.

Yeah I tend to be lax about that too. I always tell my wife where I am. But she doesn't really "know" Where I am since she has never been to most of the places i hunt

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6110726 12/31/15 03:22 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
No Life jackets number one cause of fatality. Kids/ adults get arrogant and don't use them. Had one on in 3 feet water setting up dekes today. Not worth it

Blankets key if hunting away from shelter in auto. Can also stow them in massive zip lock bags as well. Arrogance kills. Life to short to be stupid.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6110732 12/31/15 03:26 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey
Originally Posted By: DuckBlaster10

Yeah I tend to be lax about that too. I always tell my wife where I am. But she doesn't really "know" Where I am since she has never been to most of the places i hunt

Telling your wife were u are isn't going to help u if you hunt public and get thrown. Life jacket will. Why I don't hunt public. You rarely hear of deaths on private water duck hunting. Many things can happen- especially when floods bring all types of Debree into water. People also drive way too fast in water- especially in dark. We get accustomed to hunting similar surroundings and forget about potential dangers out there

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6110911 12/31/15 05:24 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
For any of you that know about the Armistace Day Storm, it was a big deal where I grew up. Every experienced duck hunter knew someone that got stuck in it, and a lot of em lost buddies in that storm. Any time I was duck hunting or fishing in crappy fall conditions, I always had a life vest on while traveling to and from spots and had a small waterproof container tucked in my inside pocket in my coat. It had matches, some fire-starting material, para cord, a small mirror for signaling and a whistle. It was the size of a book and you wouldn't even know it was there

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111015 12/31/15 12:31 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
This is potentially one of the most important threads I've seen on here, and got me thinking too.

AT the moment, my preparedness level is severely lacking.

Makes me want to revisit the approach.

For those that boat or hunt in remote areas, I strongly recommend looking at Personal Locator Beacons (PLB). They are cheap (for a life saving device) and small enough to attach to you, that would help save your life in an emergency situation.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111215 12/31/15 02:41 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I got lost last yr tracking a hog on public. I was smart enough to know when to say when and make the call to 911 to have them locate me to help guide myself back to a main road. Ever since then, I carry a pelican waterproof case, in the case I carry a bottle of water, a thing of beef jerkey, a whistle, a fire starter striker, a compass, a lighter, 10$ cash, ear plugs, a few band aids. Etc. In my boat, I always carry life jackets a throwable two collapsible oars a pole w a paddle that also grabs decoys, a air horn cannister and a small fire extinguisher. Always carry a fully charged cell phone, but do not depend on it. If you've dropped or abused your phone the compass maybe off in direction and get you lost even further.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Greekangler] #6111221 12/31/15 02:46 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
No Life jackets number one cause of fatality. Kids/ adults get arrogant and don't use them. Had one on in 3 feet water setting up dekes today. Not worth it

Blankets key if hunting away from shelter in auto. Can also stow them in massive zip lock bags as well. Arrogance kills. Life to short to be stupid.

I agree a life jacket is a must. Especially when loaded up with heavy waders and boots and whatever else you may have on that can weigh you down.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: TXPride] #6111230 12/31/15 02:54 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My biggest fear is going down in my boat, in the middle of the lake, because my boat will sink. I always take my time launching and getting to my spot, one reason I like to get an early start in the mornings, namely when hunting solo. Rushing is never a good idea. I wear my neoprene waders with jacket tucked in, wader belt tight, then life jacket, emergency kill switching on. Water proof phone easy to get to if you have to get to it in the water with life jacket on.

If I ever get thrown from my boat, in the middle of the lake, and boat sinks, I will be calling 911, then probably a couple of friends, and hope I don't die before someone gets there. Always tell my wife where I plan on hunting, and normally a friend as well if hunting solo.

My biggest mishaps on the water happen when I'm scouting during the day, I tend to not be as careful as I am in the morning. I'm extremely careful in the mornings, I need to be like that all the time.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111250 12/31/15 03:06 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
My uncle sunk a boat in the 70's on Texoma. he was lucky to have made it. As the story goes, he was in an "unsinkable boat". Debris spotted and called in by an airplane.

I have swamped my boat and found it securely planted on the bottom of the lake. luckily I was in about 18 inches of water.

The older I get, the less chances I seem to take.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111258 12/31/15 03:11 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I sink my boats on purpose to know what will happen.... supprising how hard it is to really put one with proper floaters under.. never been able to accomplish that.

but I do always have a pack with me nowadays, flashlight, lighter in a waterproof pocket, multitool always with me

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111259 12/31/15 03:11 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Oh and 2 extra cans of snuff

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111261 12/31/15 03:12 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
In all honesty though I could do without all but the lighter if things went south

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Navasot] #6111290 12/31/15 03:25 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: Navasot

I don't even go to the crapper without 2 extra cans of snuff.

I set up once in the far neither regions of the Texoma mud flats. Several hours from the truck. Left my snuff... THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. EVER

I always have a pair of razor sharp pocket knives on me as well. Have been down a couple of times in neoprene waders. They dont fill with water and drag one to the depths of the abyss like folks claim. They flood and the dang air pocket will float your feet and try and keep em above your head. Makes for a rough swim. And ruin your cans of copenhagen

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 12/31/15 03:28 PM.
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Fishuhalik] #6111291 12/31/15 03:25 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
For any of you that know about the Armistace Day Storm, it was a big deal where I grew up. Every experienced duck hunter knew someone that got stuck in it, and a lot of em lost buddies in that storm. Any time I was duck hunting or fishing in crappy fall conditions, I always had a life vest on while traveling to and from spots and had a small waterproof container tucked in my inside pocket in my coat. It had matches, some fire-starting material, para cord, a small mirror for signaling and a whistle. It was the size of a book and you wouldn't even know it was there

Yes sir the cost and minuscule size of a few emergency items is worth it if it may make a difference in your life. Para cord and a signaling mirror can be a great asset.

My first priority if immersed in cold water is to get to shore and get my wet clothes off. I carry the emergency bivy, it's similar to a space blanket except fully encapsulating, so I can immediately get in it and start trying to rewarm myself. Hypothermia can inhibit your thinking and ability to make sound desisions in only a couple of minutes. It kills fast! Plus the emergency bivy can double as your shelter to keep you dry in a rain.

Fire can be a significant boost to your warmth and morale IF you can get one going, but should not be counted on. However, shelter and water are generally considered more important. Unfavorable conditions can make a fire a challenge however. Wet material doesn't start easily. Matches can get wet, bic lighters won't work if the striker gets wet. If you have never used one I like the ferro rods. They will work when wet. Even after immersion. Wet Fire tinder will also help get a fire going in wet conditions. They actually burn better and hotter when wet. The key though is finding dry tinder. Bark from the armpit of a tree and twigs that are up off the ground will have less moisture in a rain.

Some basic rules of survival are:
3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter - 3 days without water - 3 weeks without food.

In order of importance: attitude, shelter, water, fire, food.

Granted these rules are aimed at long term survival. But most deaths occur because rescue teams are unable to locate the victims in an accident in a timely manner. Most people don't think an accident will happen, and when they do they always last longer than you would anticipate. Hours can go to days real quick. That's why I plan to save myself. I'm not leaving my survival in the hands of a search team.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: pervis] #6111296 12/31/15 03:29 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: pervis
I got lost last yr tracking a hog on public. I was smart enough to know when to say when and make the call to 911 to have them locate me to help guide myself back to a main road. Ever since then, I carry a pelican waterproof case, in the case I carry a bottle of water, a thing of beef jerkey, a whistle, a fire starter striker, a compass, a lighter, 10$ cash, ear plugs, a few band aids. Etc. In my boat, I always carry life jackets a throwable two collapsible oars a pole w a paddle that also grabs decoys, a air horn cannister and a small fire extinguisher. Always carry a fully charged cell phone, but do not depend on it. If you've dropped or abused your phone the compass maybe off in direction and get you lost even further.

Those are some good items to have with you, however it's entirely possible you could loose that case in an accident. Just food for thought but you might consider having some of those items on you!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Elpatoloco] #6111302 12/31/15 03:34 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco
Have been down a couple of times in neoprene waders. They dont fill with water and drag one to the depths of the abyss like folks claim. They flood and the dang air pocket will float your feet and try and keep em above your head. Makes for a rough swim. And ruin your cans of copenhagen

I have heard this as well. Neoprene floats. Divers wetsuits are neoprene and you have to have extra weight to compensate and get them to sink.

Oh and the cans of snuff. Well that plays into having the right attitude to survive! taz

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 12/31/15 03:36 PM.
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Elpatoloco] #6111309 12/31/15 03:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Elpatoloco
Originally Posted By: Navasot

I don't even go to the crapper without 2 extra cans of snuff.

I set up once in the far neither regions of the Texoma mud flats. Several hours from the truck. Left my snuff... THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. EVER

I always have a pair of razor sharp pocket knives on me as well. Have been down a couple of times in neoprene waders. They dont fill with water and drag one to the depths of the abyss like folks claim. They flood and the dang air pocket will float your feet and try and keep em above your head. Makes for a rough swim. And ruin your cans of copenhagen

Yup most don't understand waders... its not the open water you gota worry about its the soft mud and bit to deep water

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111314 12/31/15 03:38 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I still wont wear mine in a boat though.. I want to be able to swim fast if need be... moving slow when its that cold can be a danger itself..

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: TXPride] #6111338 12/31/15 03:46 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TXPride
This is potentially one of the most important threads I've seen on here, and got me thinking too.

AT the moment, my preparedness level is severely lacking.

Makes me want to revisit the approach.

For those that boat or hunt in remote areas, I strongly recommend looking at Personal Locator Beacons (PLB). They are cheap (for a life saving device) and small enough to attach to you, that would help save your life in an emergency situation.

Thank you sir. I think it's pretty important as well, and I believe most ( not all) don't give it any thought until it's to late.

The beacon is not a bad idea. I've never thought of that for this application. I use a similar device ( an avalanche beacon) for back country skiing and climbing. They have saved many lives.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide