Forums46
Topics538,046
Posts9,732,326
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111485 12/31/15 04:54 PM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Its always the same story... Very few times are the lost boaters found dead wearing a life jacket. Wear your PFD. No one is waterproof. I don't care how many times I've made the run in my boat in the dark, I wear my PFD and keep one in the boat for every person to wear, not just keep one in the boat. Being uncomfortable on the ride in or out is better than dying.

So to answer the OP. I wear my PFD when headed to and from my hunt areas as a better chance of survival. In my boat I also keep aerial flares as well as handheld waterproof flares. Not only can they be used for signaling purposes, but they can be used to start a fire. I keep some canned food(spam), bottle water,a small poly tarp,and a spare knife, in my toolbox. May seem like a lot of extra crap in the boat, but it all fits in a small box stored in the boat.

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111568 12/31/15 05:44 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
great thread, I need to prepare better

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6111891 12/31/15 08:59 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I agree with you spacemonkey. Attitude is EVERYTHING. All my elk hunts are solo cause my friends are PSE's. I shot an elk at dark one year...2005 if I remember with my selfbow. By the time I had her bagged up and myself cleaned up it was 9 or so. 4-5 miles from camp and I never used gps until this past year. But I had map and compos and knew how to use them. Well you guessed it, I got turned around cause those woods look VASTLY different in the dark than they do in the light. Once I excepted the fact I was turned around things started to get better. I got back to camp after midnight but you gotta stay composed....and its not easy! I was "turned around" and not "lost" though. There is a difference.....but your mind is saying "I'm lost".

I really believe if one was truly in a bad way....you gotta get mean.....I mean pissed off mean and declare war on your survival. Just don't panic.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6112078 12/31/15 10:45 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Fleece and wool are your friend, cotton is not

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6112364 01/01/16 01:55 AM
C
CB327 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
This post will definitely get you thinking.

It should be titled Outdoorsman emergencies survival and be posted in all the forums.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6112366 01/01/16 01:58 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
If yall have ever flipped a boat, you know how quickly it happens. You're never prepared and you WILL panic. I don't care if you're going 70mph in a bass boat of 4mph in a canoe. Always wear your pfd. A kid I went to school with flipped a canoe once in the middle of summer. He was an avid canoer and good swimmer and had a good head on his shoulders. Was in great shape too. He smacked his head & was knocked unconscious. His buddy got lucky and was fine. By the time his buddy got his bearings, the other kid was gone. He didn't float for a couple minutes face down like in the movies. He sank like a rock. They didn't find him for 5 days. Again, wear your pfd people. It can happen to any one of us

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: David Maas] #6112914 01/01/16 03:16 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: David Maas
Fleece and wool are your friend, cotton is not

Agree 100 percent! Cotton, the death cloth, has no place in wintertime outdoors pursuits in my opinion. It looses all insulating value when wet and takes forever to dry! I tend to prefer synthetics over wool, ( mainly due to their light weight) except in socks, but you can't go wrong with either. They both retain insulating value when wet and dry much faster than cotton!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6112976 01/01/16 03:51 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I been pretty stubborn about my cotton, but you guys are having me rethink it. FYI, easy way to dry out cloths is turn heater/window defroster on full blast in your truck, and put cloths on dash board, dries them in a jiffy. But wont help much if you are in the middle of the lake calling 911. grin

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6113016 01/01/16 04:16 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Lol never tried that guy. I'll keep that one in my bucket o knowledge. I've hung en out the window going down the highway though

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113080 01/01/16 05:10 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Guy
I been pretty stubborn about my cotton, but you guys are having me rethink it.

I can't believe ya use cotton, Guy, it's frankly the most uncomfortable outdoor clothing in the world laugh Are you wearing those "thermal long johns" or are we talking jeans or what?

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113084 01/01/16 05:13 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I been pretty stubborn about my cotton, but you guys are having me rethink it. FYI, easy way to dry out cloths is turn heater/window defroster on full blast in your truck, and put cloths on dash board, dries them in a jiffy. But wont help much if you are in the middle of the lake calling 911. grin

Here's the thing with cotton. Our granddads used cotton, but they were more "outdoors man" than most of us. Cotton on a dude who knows what to do is not the same as cotton on some idiot who took chances. I still wear it on warm september elk hunts but not much. I have replaced most of it with the new age stuff. Alone, out on the water I wouldn't dare wear it.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Dave Speer] #6113098 01/01/16 05:22 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

I can't believe ya use cotton, Guy, it's frankly the most uncomfortable outdoor clothing in the world laugh Are you wearing those "thermal long johns" or are we talking jeans or what?

Yeah, jeans and undershirt. bolt

Ok, so what should I get? Guess I need to go shopping today. grin

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113174 01/01/16 06:17 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S

I use a light or mid weight polypropylene thermal underwear with either a pair of midweight or heavy weight fleece active wear pants (depending on temps) under my breathable waders. I stay toasty warm.

For upper body a good poly long shirt, and a thicker fleece shirt under my waterproof wind proof jacket has always been sufficient. If it's real cold I have an 800 fill primaloft (synthetic down) jacket I'll throw on just for sitting still. You can't really wear it if your hiking or working hard. It will burn you up it's so warm, but it's excellent for sitting still on cold days. The key as you prob know is to layer more thin layers as opposed to one thick layer.

I can't really comment on what brands to get because most of my gear was designed for ice climbing and mountaineering (my other passion) but works extremely well for water fowling. One thing I can say is that you don't really need to spend a fortune to get good synthetic clothes. Academy stuff is good. I know under armor is good but I feel it's way way overpriced trendy stuff. There is excellent inexpensive clothing available without buying into the trends! That's my opinion though.

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 01/01/16 06:18 PM.
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113180 01/01/16 06:21 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You know my wife has been bugging about what's my new years resolution, I think I just found it. Ditch the cotton and get new gear. cheers

Sounds like wool is the way to roll. I just don't want that itchy stuff.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6113182 01/01/16 06:23 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey

I use a light or mid weight polypropylene thermal underwear with either a pair of midweight or heavy weight fleece active wear pants (depending on temps) under my breathable waders. I stay toasty warm.

For upper body a good poly long shirt, and a thicker fleece shirt under my waterproof wind proof jacket has always been sufficient. If it's real cold I have an 800 fill primaloft (synthetic down) jacket I'll throw on just for sitting still. You can't really wear it if your hiking or working hard. It will burn you up it's so warm, but it's excellent for sitting still on cold days. The key as you prob know is to layer more thin layers as opposed to one thick layer.

I can't really comment on what brands to get because most of my gear was designed for ice climbing and mountaineering (my other passion) but works extremely well for water fowling. One thing I can say is that you don't really need to spend a fortune to get good synthetic clothes. Academy stuff is good. I know under armor is good but I feel it's way way overpriced trendy stuff. There is excellent inexpensive clothing available without buying into the trends! That's my opinion though.

Really what I need is best gear for being out on the water in the boat. Maybe I need a wet suit. grin

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113203 01/01/16 06:34 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
You know my wife has been bugging about what's my new years resolution, I think I just found it. Ditch the cotton and get new gear. cheers

Sounds like wool is the way to roll. I just don't want that itchy stuff.

I can't stand wool personally. I like the smart wool socks! They don't itch at all. But wool pants and shirts are too heavy and cumbersome for me and I don't like to itch. I like the light and fast approach. Synthetics are comfortable, light, warm and hard to beat IMHO!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113217 01/01/16 06:42 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S

Really what I need is best gear for being out on the water in the boat. Maybe I need a wet suit. grin

Yeah. Nothing better than a rubber suit to make you look like a penguin! I wonder if ducks would decoy if there was a big penguin standing in the middle ? grin

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6113265 01/01/16 07:14 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey

I agree with SpaceMonkey. Poly next to the skin. Smart Wool (brand) socks or another Merino wool mix, you can get them at Academy. Go to Academy and look at the Under Armor cold gear stuff, read the label on the inside, then look for an off brand with those same fibers.

Thin poly base layer and a layer of fleece will keep you VERY warm. As he said layer it. On a walk in when it's 30 degrees I will have on only my poly base shirt and early season lightweight drake jacket. When I get to the hole, put out decoys and settle down, I'll pull fleece out of my bag and put it on for the sitting still part. When it's really cold, two poly top layers. The poly stuff lasts forever, I have some Capilene (Patagonia) brand that I've had for 15 years and is very warm. You can get that at REI and it is about the same price as Under Armor at Academy but it comes in a range of temperatures, a thin, a medium, and a heavy which if I recall the heavy is just fleece. A $40 shirt sounds crazy but they are so warm.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6113298 01/01/16 07:33 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
REI is having a garage sale tomorrow. Sometimes you can get great deals on clothing that has only minor defects or is just missing the package

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6113674 01/01/16 11:33 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I went out today and bought all new gear to replace my cotton, and spent a fortune. eek2
I'm gonna miss my cotton. violin

But I'm turning over a new leaf. grin

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6113940 01/02/16 01:28 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I went out today and bought all new gear to replace my cotton, and spent a fortune. eek2
I'm gonna miss my cotton. violin

But I'm turning over a new leaf. grin

cheers

Well I hope your never in an accident but if you are and it saves your life then it will be money well spent! I think you will enjoy how much more comfortable good synthetics are.

Oooh. Forgot to mention earlier that synthetics hold odor a little more. So you might not want to stop off at a bar with pretty girls without a shower first on the way home! Unless your into that kinda thing. confused2

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6114194 01/02/16 03:55 AM
G
golden dogs Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
PFD..PFD...PFD..!!!!
As a former Naval Aviator I can tell you all! The water is an awful environment for human survival.
The US Navy has data that is undeniably correct! If the body is immersed in water at a temperature below 60 degrees for more than an hour you will start to enter in a hypothermic condition.
If you are ever in that extreme place, the only thing you can do is maintain the "HELP" position which is performing the cannon ball position;which keeps the heat centered in your core, and heart.
Thats assuming you have flotation via a pfd....Otherwise your only chance is to either get on top of your capsised boat, or getting to dry land....That is the ugly reality.
God bless those boys, and please may all of us heed the lessons learned.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6114724 01/02/16 05:42 PM
B
brennansgrandpa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
This is a great thread and many good topics have been covered that we all can benefit from. One I would like to add is the power of common sense and discretion. Listen to your brain! When you look at the lake and you get that "gee is this the right thing to do" signal, listen to it please.

My grandfather shared this with me when I was young and I will pass it on to you:

There are old duck hunters and there are bold duck hunters. There are precious few, old, bold duck hunters.

Be careful out there and if you go out on one of those days be sure to do all of the things discussed here to stack the odd's more in your favor.

After all, is your life worth risking for a duck?

Last edited by brennansgrandpa; 01/02/16 11:17 PM.
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: brennansgrandpa] #6115551 01/03/16 03:16 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by brennansgrandpa
After all, is your life worth risking for a duck?

It's not about the duck, it's about the adventure. You got to be crazy to be a duck hunter, kinda like these guys...

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6115693 01/03/16 04:51 AM
W
wfhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Just to shed some light on what started this topic. I have a friend who lives on Kaw Lake and was the area manager of this waterfowl unit until he retired 2 years ago. Information I recieved from him was obtained through contacts with Kaw area law enforcement. These guys headed out into part of the main lake in the dark, 40 mph wind, below freezing temperature in a 10' flat bottom boat, with no motor, one life jacket, a dozen decoys, a dog and an ice chest full of booze. The guy found had the life jacket on and the dog was found alive with him where he floated to the shore. The other guy may not show up until spring. It is a sad outcome for both their families, but they basically killed themselves.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide