Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... #6095165 12/21/15 09:29 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-12-15

Very warm and muggy this morning. Felt like an early teal hunt. It was 71 degrees on the truck mirror and ran the a/c on the commute. Had a good chance of rain but didn't get anything but a little sprinkle while picking up the decoys and some more sprinkles when almost to the house later. Nothing moving around early. Heard some widgeons whistling but never saw them. A few minutes before legal had three puddle ducks come in only to jump and leave immediately. Shooting time came around and it was like someone flicked a switch. Quite a few birds moving around. Had several birds land on the water. They were scattered about with nothing close enough to shoot. Two minutes into it and a gadwall gets shot to the left. More birds circle and some land as one of the dogs is getting the bird. I step out of blind to spook the birds off. Eleven minutes in and a pair a gadwalls come in and one stays. Thirteen minutes later two more gaddies come in and another stays. Almost immediately a bufflehead hen lands in the decoys. GF shoots and it jumps and I get a piece of it when it goes to the left. Thing is still alive. While giving that bird a few minutes a small flock of gadwalls come in. All three get taken out. A couple minutes later three spoonies circle in and one crashes into a field to the left. I get out of the blind to see about the bufflehead and the bird jumps and flies right at me. It ends up doing a few cartwheels through the decoy spread. The dogs are sent to clean up all the birds. A little more than half an hour goes by with several groups of birds moving in the area but nothing wanting to play. At about 8:00 five spoonies come in from the front and one gets dropped as the others get whiffed on. Several more flocks move through. Thirteen minutes later a single redhead crashes into the decoys and gets swatted. More birds hop from hole to hole. About thirty minutes later a lone widgeon goes by high at a pretty good clip. Some sweet talking turns him around and he gets dropped to the left. A few minutes later the wardens drive by and light us up and call to bs for a bit. Ten minutes later three come high from the front right and get talked into swinging by the decoys but the GF hesitates and no shots were taken. At 9:08 two teal come in from the front and sit down. One gets taken out to finish up.

Whipple picking up a few birds...

This was not amusing...

Paxton with a spoonie...

Whipple with a redhead...

Paxton picking up a widgeon...

Wardens driving by...

Paxton with a teal...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6095261 12/21/15 10:18 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Great pics as always. Love those dogs! Keep em coming. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6098320 12/23/15 05:16 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-14-15

Rained the day before. Running water and muck all over the place. Weather pushed a lot of birds out of the area. Clear and calm with some wind later in the morning. Twelve minutes before legal hear some widgeons overhead but never see them. Two minutes later two birds land in the middle. A few minutes later I spook them up. Then notice another in the middle. I go to spook that one up but it wasn't having any of it. Just before shooting time the bird flies over and sits down to the left of the decoys and swims in. Shooting time comes and do not see a thing flying around. While watching the coot, a gadwall somehow lands in the middle undetected. They mingle for a bit before flying off. It's now four minutes in and finally hear some birds fly over but never see them. Two minutes later a pair of gaddies land in the middle. Beaucoup blackbirds flying through. Twenty-five minutes go by and the gadwalls decide to exit stage left. It is now 7:22 and notice a small flock traveling high out front and moving to the right. Call them over and they come into the decoys to the left. Two of the five gadwalls get taken out. Have a few groups moving around as the wind starts to pick up a little while waiting for some action. Just before 8:00 some cranes fly through. Five minutes later a pair of buffleheads come in from the right and get taken out. Twenty minutes later a big flock of dove buzzes over. The next half hour is filled with various small groups of birds moving around but nothing interested. About 9:00 a pair of gaddies swoop over out of range and head back the direction they came. Five minutes later a group of four come over with a single behind them. They circle and two land in the middle while the other two go back to the right. No clue where the single went. Thirty minutes later while watching the gadwalls feeding on the water a lone canvasback drops into the decoys. It gets shot. The gadwalls jump and leave to the left only to come back a few minutes later but still out of range. They finally leave for good when picking up the can. Nothing else flying around so call it a day. While loading up a hawk took a blackbird out of a flock about five feet from the truck.

Whipple with a gadwall...

Paxton bringing in a gadwall...

Some cranes flying over...

Paxton picking up a bufflehead hen...

Whipple with the drake...

Paxton picking up a canvasback...

This guy buzzed by...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6100354 12/24/15 10:38 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-17-15

Water level has gone down some. Had steam coming off the water. Clear, crisp and calm this morning. Would get some very light wind later in the morning. Had some birds landing in the water as decoys were still being put out. Birds would continue to trickle in for the next fifteen minutes up until legal shooting time. Problem was most of them were out of range. A gadwall drake gets dropped right at legal shooting time. Three minutes later a single spoonie would drop in out of range. It made it's way close enough to shoot about four minutes later. Several small flocks moving around the area but most were skittish. Had a two pair of gadwalls land out of range in two different spots and spend some time feeding before flying off. Had a couple of opportunities for shots that were not taken. Had two spoonies crash in from behind the blind about fifty minutes after shooting the last bird. They were promptly shot. The rest of the hunt consisted of more skittish birds flying over and giving a look only to fly off. Some geese would fly over as well.

Whipple bringing in a gadwall...

Whipple heading out for a spoonie...

Whipple with the bird...

This pair hung around just out of range for a while...

Whipple heading out to pick up some birds...

Whipple with the first bird...

Whipple with the second bird...

Some geese flying over...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6106654 12/28/15 11:17 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-19-15

Clear and crisp this morning with a decent wind. Some frost on the ground. Had quite a few ducks come and go while setting up. Had some early shooters in the area. Legal shooting time comes around and a couple more ducks join some others in the middle that never left from earlier. I spook them off the water as a single circles overhead. A lone coot never leaves. About a half hour later a single teal comes in from the front and lands out of range to the left of the decoys. We have a conversation for a bit until she is finally coaxed close enough to swat. Twelve minutes later a flock of redheads drop from the heavens and circle over the decoys. They turn back and crash in. We take out our four and the others bug out. Several more flocks moving around. Some giving us looks with a couple landing in the middle but most not that interested. Some geese flew over. Four caracaras were hanging around the area with one even swooping down at the decoys. Had three dove try to land on the blind. Ended up having to wait a little over an hour for the next birds. Four spoonies come in from the front right and all get taken out. Another half hour goes by and four gadwalls circle and come in. Three get taken out to wrap up the hunt. When the dogs were picking up the last birds they spooked up the coot that was still on the water and it flies off and crashes into a tree line. Swapped out gear for a quick dove hunt before heading to a Christmas party.

Whipple heading out to pick up a couple of redheads...

Whipple with one of the birds...

Paxton heading out to pick up the other two...

Paxton with one of the birds...

Paxton picking up the other bird...

Some ducks flying over...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6106655 12/28/15 11:18 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

Caracaras...

Paxton with a spoonie...

Whipple with a spoonie...

Paxton with another...

The girls with a couple of gadwalls...

The gf picking up...

The ducks...

The ducks with the dove...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6110275 12/30/15 11:49 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-22-15

Thick fog this morning, which would hang around for quite a while. Visibility was maybe five foot in front of the truck on the way. Planned to hunt out of a layout but could not find the water's edge. Decided to just hunt out of the big blind and even had trouble finding it. It was calm and hot with some light wind cooling it off a little later. Heard some widgeons before even getting to the spot. Could hear some ducks four minutes after legal but never saw them. Eighteen minutes in a lone bird swims to the decoys from the right. Turns out to be a grebe. Four minutes later a gadwall lands in the middle of the water and jumps and flies away shortly after. About fifteen minutes later a flock of widgeons could barely be made out flying high over the blind. A light wind comes in ten minutes later. Another twelve minutes go by and a single gadwall lands in the middle and swims the opposite directions. It is now about 9:35 and the sun finally breaks out and starts to burn off the soup. Fifteen minutes later a single gadwall comes gliding in from quite a ways out and talking the whole time. First bird down. Three minutes later another vocal gadwall circles to the right and goes down elsewhere. Another twenty minutes goes by and a pair of gadwalls come in from the left and land in the middle out of range. Not a minute later another gadwall comes in from out of nowhere and sits down to the left. It gets swatted. The two gadwalls that were in the middle fly off to the right. Four minutes later a lone diver buzzes by from right to left and goes behind the blind. See a group of six hightailing it off to the right four minutes later. A half hour goes by and a pair ringers sail in and get taken out. Twenty six minutes later a trio of gadwalls circle. One lands to the left as the other two continue to circle. The hen on the water calls them down and they land on the other side of her just out of range. Shot the hen that was in range and end up having to shoot her again when she jumps. Took a shot at one of the other birds as they bugged out to the right but missed. They would circle high for what seemed like forever before disappearing. About forty minutes later a flock of five gadwalls come over high from the right and split up. Four end up going off into the distance in front of the blind and one going behind the blind never to be seen again.

The soup...

Everything was dripping wet...

Whipple picking up a gadwall...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6110278 12/30/15 11:49 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

This guy entertained me throughout the duration of the fog...

Whipple with another gadwall...

Whipple picking up a couple of ringers...

The birds...

The ducks with the dove that were taken afterward...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6110310 12/31/15 12:07 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Great stuff. Thanks for taking us with you on the hunt.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6117296 01/04/16 03:29 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-24-15

Huge moon upon arrival that would set while setting up. Clear, hot and calm with some sporadic light winds later. Heard some ducks overheard that were never seen and some widgeons whistle in the distance a couple minutes before legal. Shooting time comes and there is absolutely nothing in the air. About thirty minutes later a single would circle and go down on an adjacent property. Fifteen minutes later heard some quacks off in the distance. Few minutes after that had a collared dove come in hot right towards me at head level that I nearly swatted with my barrel. Seven minutes later three spoonies would come in from the right and set down only to immediately jump. All were shot. Another fifteen minutes pass and a flock flies high to the right. Roughly twenty minutes later a grebe drunkenly sails in from the right. A bufflehead hen follows and gets taken out. Another fifteen minutes go by and a decent sized flock flies high overhead. That would be the last movement of the morning. Heard some geese while picking up and had a small flock of cranes fly over high when leaving.

The decoys...

Whipple picking up a spoonie...

Paxton picking up a spoonie...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6117297 01/04/16 03:29 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

Paxton with another...

Whipple with a bufflehead...

The birds...

The girls with the birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6121308 01/06/16 05:50 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-29-15

Rained the previous few days. Muck and water everywhere. Cool and calm with some sporadic light wind throughout the morning. Heard ducks the whole time while setting up and even got buzzed by a few. Six minutes before shooting time two gadwalls land to the left. They come check out the decoys and eventually swim away to the left. Few flocks moving in the area but nothing close. Thirteen minutes into it and the two that were on the water jump and go down in the little pond. With nothing moving I decide to go sneak on them. Two in the bag. About half an hour later a single gadwall sails in from the front left. Three shots and he flies away hurt but we can't get to him. See another high flying flock a minute later. Twenty minutes later a lone redhead comes in from the front left and gets taken out. About fifteen minutes later a pair of teal come in from the same direction. Take both of them to finish up at 8:16. Had a decent sized flock of pintails and some geese fly over while picking up. Also had a pair of hooded mergansers visit.

Still a little mucky out...

The sunrise...

It was bright out early...

Whipple picking up a redhead...

Whipple retrieving a teal...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6121309 01/06/16 05:50 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

Whipple with another teal...

Some geese flying over...

Some hooded mergansers that came to visit...

The birds...

The ducks with a dove that was shot afterwards...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6128112 01/10/16 06:08 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

12-31-15

Cool and clear with some clouds moving in a bit later. Decent breeze all morning. Birds were moving around while setting up. Had a pair and then a single land in the decoys ten minutes before legal but they didn't stay long. A couple minutes later a flock of seven or eight lands in the middle and immediately jump. Heard some more birds moving around only to be followed by some early shots. About a minute after legal a gadwall tries to sit in the middle but couldn't get comfortable and bugs out. A minutes later two buffleheads buzz in from the left and crash to the right of the decoys. The drake gets swatted as the hen dives. She pops up and gets swatted. The bird manages to scurry off hurt to the right and turn back to the left until visual is lost. Eight minutes later five gadwalls that have been circling for a few minutes swoop in from the left. Four of them land out of range but the other one was in range and gets taken out. Four minutes later a couple of divers zoom by to the left but never slow down. Have a few more groups moving around but no takers. About half an hour after the diver flyby three gadwalls swoop down and immediately pull up, circle and fly away. Ten minutes later four geese fly by slowly checking things out but never stop. Another ten minutes go by and a single redhead drops in from the left and gets taken out. Thirty minutes later three fly over high from right to left. Then about a dozen come over high from behind. Then a pair of pintails circle and cup into the deeks. One gets dropped at the edge of the water as the other slowly flies away hurt. See several other groups of birds but nothing showed any interest. Watched two gadwalls drop in and seven geese land in the field while loading the truck.

It was bright out again...

Small flock of geese flying by...

Paxton picking up a redhead...

Paxton retrieving a bufflehead...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6128113 01/10/16 06:08 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

Whipple getting after a gadwall...

The spread...

Whipple chasing down a crippled pintail...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6130763 01/11/16 09:08 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-2-16

Overcast and cool this morning. Light wind that would get stronger than expected. Heard some quacks a minute before legal. Shooting time comes around and a single lands in the middle followed by two more that land near the opposite shoreline. A couple of minutes later two birds pass over high from the left to the right. Two minutes later a pair comes from the left and goes down in the little pond out front. A flock of four pass over high three minutes later. Five minutes pass and with nothing showing any interest I decide to sneak on the birds on the little pond. The three birds on the opposite shoreline jump and fly away as I make the journey. Eight minutes later I arrive at the pond and jump the two gadwalls that were on the water. Fire off three shots and drop one as the other bird flies away hurt. Decided to hang out for a awhile by a tree near the shore where the birds were landing earlier. Six minutes go by and two divers buzz to my right and go over the left side of the decoys. Make it back to the blind roughly fifteen minutes later. Six minutes later a pair of hooded mergansers buzz by from behind the blind to the left and land near the opposite shoreline as another small flock flies through high. The mergansers bug out four minutes later. Nearly an hour goes by with no movement. As I'm watching some blackbirds across the water I notice some birds with bigger wingspans. Three widgeons were flying low near the little pond. Two looked to land in the little pond as one comes right towards the decoys and sits down. As it gets swatted the other two make their way over the decoys and get taken out. About thirty minutes go by and two ducks come over high from the right and continue to head to the left. Three minutes later noticed a gadwall sitting on the water out of range to the right. He would hang around for about fifteen minutes before heading out. Eighteen minutes later another gadwall comes in from behind the blind and lands in the middle. Gradually coaxed it closer and got off three shots as it jumped and looked to fly off hurt to the right. Roughly ten minutes go by and two come over high from the front left and go over the blind to the right. One peels off to the back right as the other one turns back. It came over the right side of the water and goes into a 4 g inverted dive and comes over and sits down right outside of the decoys. It gets swatted. Five minutes later a flock of three and a flock of seven fly over high from behind and continue on their way. About a half hour later four widgeons swoop down from behind to the left and continue out front before turning back and going to the right as two others circle to the right before flying off.

Whipple with one of the widgeons...

Whipple picking up another widgeon...

Whipple chasing down the last widgeon...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6137816 01/15/16 11:53 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-7-16

Rained the day/night before. Water and muck everywhere. Calm with some wind later. Warm and muggy. Fog throughout the morning. Hear some ducks four minutes before legal. Three minutes later two birds land in pocket and swim towards the west point. A minute after legal four birds come in with three landing far out and one in the decoys. That bird gets swatted. Two minutes later a teal peeps and notice him close to the blind on the water. Swatted. Three minutes later a small flock flies through. Sixty seconds later four comes in and lands in the middle and swim the opposite direction. Two minutes later a single comes in and lands in the middle as it scares up the other birds which fly off to the left. A minute later two spoonies come and crash into the decoys. Both get taken out. Seven minutes later when out of the blind working the dogs a single comes over the decoys and gets dropped. A minute later four birds buzz by as a teal sits down to the left and gets shot. Several divers buzz by. Four minutes later two come in and land near the opposite shore. Twelve minutes later a single gadwall lands to the left out of range. Three minutes go by and two gads come in from the right and land near the east point. One gets shot at and crashes into the water to the right only to fly off when about to be picked up. The next fifteen minutes would see several singles fly through the area and the wind pick up a little. Two minutes later three birds try to come in from the front right but have to pull up due to a bunch of blackbirds. They would come back around with one landing near the west point and two in the middle. Get out to scare off the water. One flies away and two go back down near the point. Go to sneak on them and one jumps but one swims to the middle. Put the squeeze on the bird and it comes right towards me. No clue how that bird managed to fly off. On the way back to the blind a single gad comes in and gets dropped. Three minutes later another single flies over. Eighteen minutes later a single ringer circles and lands in the decoys. Couple of shots later it manages to fly away. Fifteen minutes later two gadwalls come in from the right and get taken out. Several other birds would move through the area but nothing wanted to play. Had two swoop in while picking up.

Whipple heading out to pick up a gadwall...

Her with the bird...

Whipple with a teal...

Paxton with a teal...

Paxton picking up a spoonie...

Whipple heading out to pick up a gadwall pair...

With the drake...

And the hen...

The birds...

The girls with the birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6141766 01/18/16 09:13 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-8-16

Warmish and calm this morning with some wind later. Foggy and overcast. Fifteen minutes before legal a duck that wasn't seen come in jumps out of the decoys. Four minutes later more ducks are heard. Next few minutes would have several flocks fly over. A minutes before legal a single lands in the deeks as some others fly over. Shooting time comes and that bird gets swatted and another birds jump off the water near the dam to the right. A minute later three divers come in to the right and two get taken out. Another minute goes by and three birds circle with two coming over the blind. Took a shot at one and missed. Three minutes later a single lands in the middle to the left as four others fly over. Two minutes later a single comes in to the decoys and gets dropped. Two minutes later a a single gadwall circles and lands to the left as another lands to the right. The bird on the right gets spooked and flies off to the left with the other bird following. Three minutes later a single flies over from the right when the dog was in the water. Then two fly over high. About fifteen minutes later a gadwall comes in to the decoys from the front right and gets dropped. Seven minutes later another gadwall comes in from behind and circles to land to the left. It gets shot at and manages to fly off behind the blind to the right. Roughly fifteen minutes later while out of the blind chasing a cripple to the right two gadwalls circle high and drop in to the left of the decoys while out of the blind only to jump and fly off. Six minutes later while standing outside of the blind to the left two blue wings come in from the front and crash into the decoys. The drake gets taken out and the hen jumps. Try to shoot her and realize there was only one shell in the gun. She decides to sit back down about five feet away from her original location. Gun gets loaded and the hen gets shot. About a half hour later quacks are heard but no bird in sight. Three minutes later a gadwall comes in on a string low from the right and pulls up over the decoys and gets dropped. Three minutes later another gadwall circles and comes right towards the blind only to pull left at the last second. It gets taken out. All is quiet for the next hour and fifteen minutes before a single gadwall circles from the right and lands in the middle only to swim towards the opposite bank. That bird would disappear when looking down. About 45 minutes later decided to go see if that bird happened to jump over to the little pond. While to the left on the way to the pond two redheads buzz in from the right and one gets taken out as the other circle back behind the blind. When back in the blind the surviving redhead would buzz back by heading to the left. Thirty eight minutes later two gadwalls would come in high from the front and circle only to head back the same direction. Seven minutes later a single gadwall would come in from the front on a string right at the blind. Could see his "oh crap" look as he turned to the left at the last second before getting shot. As the dog is picking up that bird another gadwall tried to come in from the right only to land far out. A couple of minutes later it would jump and go back to the right. Fifteen minutes later a lone shoveler comes in on a string from the front left and gets taken out.

A couple of divers on the water...

Whipple with clean up duty...

Whipple on the way to pick up a gadwall...

Her with the bird...

The decoy spread...

The sun trying to break out to no avail...

Couple of blue wings that came in...

Whipple with the hen...

Whipple with the drake...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6141767 01/18/16 09:14 PM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

Whipple heading out for another gadwall...

With the bird...

Whipple with another gaddie...

Heading out for another gadwall...

While bringing it back another gadwall came in behind her...

Whipple with the bird...

Whipple retrieving a spoonie...

The birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6148171 01/22/16 10:48 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-13-16

Clear, cool and calm this morning with a bit of frost on the ground. It would warm up with a light breeze later. Ground is beginning to dry out but is still pretty sloppy in a lot of spots. Had birds constantly coming in from about twenty minutes before legal all the way up until shooting time. Would spook some up and more would pile in. A minute after legal a single gadwall would come in to the left and get taken out. Another would come in behind the dog as she was bringing the bird back. Six minutes later another gaddie would come in out of range to the left only to jump and head over by the dam to the right. A couple of minutes later two birds would jump from the north shore and head out to the right. Four minutes later a gadwall would come in to the right of the decoys and get shot. Two minutes later a couple of spoonies would crash in front of the blind. The drake got swatted and the hen got dropped as she tried to fly away. Three minutes later heard a gadwall talking and notice one cupped to the right. It gets shot and another bird that came in unnoticed to the left jumps and circles a few times before heading out. Eight minutes later a lone bird would circle in high from the right, do a big loop and head back the direction it came from. Roughly twenty minutes later a single circles to the right. It gets joined by another before setting down on an adjacent property. A couple minutes later a lone gadwall appears above the blind out of nowhere. It would circle a few times before leaving. Four minutes later another single would circle to the right forever. About a half hour later five would join the birds on the adjacent property. A single joins them a a couple of minutes later. Twenty three minutes later a trio of gadwalls would come in from the right. It didn't look like they were going to stop in so one was shot over the blind. It would fly away hurt back the way it came. Seven minutes later a single note from a goose was heard. Three geese would come in from behind the blind and skirt to the right. A few quacks later and they circled back in and flew right over the decoys. Two were dropped in the water as the other flew away hurt behind the blind. Three minutes later another gadwall would come in and land out of range. It would jump to the left when the dog was picking up the geese. Twenty five minutes later another bird would go down to the right. A lone spoonie would come in and get shot twelve minutes later. When the dog was picking it up another gadwall would circle overhead. Three more could be seen circling the water when loading the truck.

Whipple the a spoonie...

Whipple with another gaddie...

A little bit of frost on the ground...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6148172 01/22/16 10:48 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

The geese turning around...

A gadwall that came in when the dog was in the water picking up the geese...

Whipple with the first goose...

Whipple catching and bringing back the second goose...

A one-winged gadwall that came over when the dog was in the water picking up the last bird...

Whipple with the shoveler...

The birds...

Whipple with the birds...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6148274 01/22/16 01:04 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Great pics and dog up

texas flag

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Stub] #6148569 01/22/16 03:25 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Stub
Great pics and dog up

AMEN to that.. That's fantastic..

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6151381 01/24/16 05:43 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

1-14-16

Warmer and cloudy this morning. Became partly cloudy later with some ominous clouds moving through. Heard some quacks eight minutes before legal but never saw anything moving around. Heard some widgeons whistle to the right six minutes after legal. Eight minutes later a single flies by high from the front to behind the blind to the left. Two minutes later heard some random loud music for awhile to the far left. About fifteen minutes later two gadwalls came coasting in from the front really high and circle for a bit and leave. They come back and circle some more then make a really big circle and land in the middle out of range. They would jump and head to the right. Probably should have taken a shot. Four minutes later a flock of nine flies over high from behind toward the front left. Three minutes later two circle high to the right. They would give a look but turn back and disappear. Ten minutes later a single would go down on an adjacent property. Three minutes later another single makes a big loop from the back left and joins the other bird. Four minutes later a couple more circled with one joining the others as the other continues to circle before disappearing. Eleven minutes later a teal or small diver buzzes in from the front over the decoys to the right and does a loop behind the blind before heading back the direction it came from. Could not react fast enough to get a shot. Five minutes later a gadwall would drop in from the right and get shot. While the dog was in the water picking up the bird two more gadwalls circled over head before bugging out. About thirteen minutes later two would circle to the right before heading out. Roughly thirty minutes later a couple of bulls had a beef with one another which was some entertainment on a slow morning. Seventeen minutes later a single would go down to the right with the others on the adjacent property.

Some of the clouds that moved through...

The sunrise...

Bird down...

Paxton heading out for a chase...

Couple of gadwalls that came over with the dog in the water...

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016: 2nd Split (my pictures from the season)... [Re: Fooshman] #6151382 01/24/16 05:43 AM
F
Fooshman Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
F

The bird trying to evade...

In custody...

Paxton bringing the bird back to the station...

Some more clouds that moved through...

This guy was looking for a meal...

Paxton with the bird...

The bird...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide