Print Thread
'96 Chevy headlights #6011445 11/05/15 01:27 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
I want to get brighter lights. What's best for the buck? Bulbs or whole assembly?

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6011447 11/05/15 01:28 AM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Headlights. I don't need expensive

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6011510 11/05/15 02:04 AM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
If your lenses are clean I've had good experiences with the IPF fatboy bulbs as well as the sylvania silverstars.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6011761 11/05/15 03:46 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Whatever you do, please don't put HID bulbs in the current housing.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: grout-scout] #6031329 11/16/15 01:38 AM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

What does that do? Annoying or unsafe ?

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6036268 11/18/15 04:14 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

What does that do? Annoying or unsafe ?

It makes them dangerously bright, the kind of bright that blinds all on coming cars. Cars that come with HID bulbs have special lens that filter/block the bulb. When you put a HID bulb into a regular lens it's full power with no filter.

My wife's car came with HIDs and while they are great when you're driving they are absolutely wretched to the oncoming traffic. I can't even have her follow me due to bring blinded by them. Sometimes when a oncoming car has them I have to stare at the yellow line in the road to keep from being blinded.

I'm not sure on the legality of brightness of headlights. I am curious though if an officer could ticket someone for having headlights too bright.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6098181 12/23/15 03:47 PM
S
shadams Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Its more to do with the lens of the headlight. If you look at your 96 headlights, you will see all the little lines in it, those are actually there to diffuse the light in all directions, little reflectors of sorts. So HID's in those housings will really be a negative to others and really doesnt give you that much benefit. On a car with factory hid lights there are 2 different designs. Projector beams, the ones that if you look at them the have a little globe in front of the bulb which focuses the light in the desired area rather then all over the place. Or regular looking headlights except the lens is clear, and the area behind the bulb is angled in a manner that concentrates the light down low. In fact, they have a "beam cut off" built into them and it is literally a line that on one side of it it is bright, the other side is pitch black. Very weird to see.

Grout, sounds like your wifes lows are adjusted too high, as that is kinda against the intent of the lights. What kind of car is it? Sorry, just the service advisor coming out of me....

Anyway, I would bet your main problem (op) is the lenses are clouded over. The UV light from the sun oxidizes the plastic lens. Headlight treatments are avail, but rarely are permanent, so your best bet is new headlights and some good bulbs liek the silverstars.

"If the Truth becomes Outlawed, then Outlaws we must become..."
Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6098569 12/23/15 07:49 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've had HIDs before, and haven't had any issues. The biggest problem is people who install them but don't re-aim the headlights. Problem for me was when they'd go out, it was hell trying to get them replaced. I've had some that have gone years without issue, and some that just seem to be problematic all the time.

The best luck I've had so far is using LED headlights, wired directly to the battery with sufficient wiring. Come off the battery, through a relay, to the lights. The relay is switched by the headlight wire. Otherwise, the power is running through the fuse box, through the light switch, and out to the headlights. Running a relay makes a noticeable difference in the amount of power that actually gets to the lights.

I get my LED bulbs from HERE.

They're pricey, but when you figure the cost of two or three sets of Silverstars in the time one set of these will last, it works out.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6099126 12/24/15 02:19 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
can't say for chebby since i've worked
at ford dealers all my adult life, but
used to be those "blue" aftermarket bulbs
that the homeboys would put in their cars
would get so hot as to melt the headlight
housings and most of the time the sockets too.
jmo, i'd get some bright auxiliary lights
to add on and use for the times in the bush
when extra was needed, and save the reliable
factory setup for every day to get you there
and back.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6100810 12/25/15 04:54 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I got a set of LED's similar to what Willie posted from some kid online for $90 shipped. The brights aren't much different from the lows, but the lows are exponentially better than my original setup.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6100858 12/25/15 06:14 AM
J
Jbell99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
First off clean the headlights mothers makes great headlight cleaner can be found at any auto store
A lot of people on here are complaining about hids but I love them I put them in both my thinks in headlights and fogs with any gm run a relay so both get equal power eliminates lots of issues also buy a good kit not flea market kit they work great also re aim them at night find a flat surface facing a wall and turn them in use masking tape to level them I usually lower them and point the right side out alittle more helps see if any animals are in a ditch or anything far out so I can be prepared as far as them burning the headlights I have had them for years I've done probaly twenty sets for freinds never had a single one burn as long as it's the correct bulb for the lense as far as the sylavania lights they are junk and don't really work any better
I the bulbs I use are 10k so they are alittle blue but still very white

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Jbell99] #6102008 12/26/15 03:02 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Jbell99
First off clean the headlights mothers makes great headlight cleaner can be found at any auto store
A lot of people on here are complaining about hids but I love them I put them in both my thinks in headlights and fogs with any gm run a relay so both get equal power eliminates lots of issues also buy a good kit not flea market kit they work great also re aim them at night find a flat surface facing a wall and turn them in use masking tape to level them I usually lower them and point the right side out alittle more helps see if any animals are in a ditch or anything far out so I can be prepared as far as them burning the headlights I have had them for years I've done probaly twenty sets for freinds never had a single one burn as long as it's the correct bulb for the lense as far as the sylavania lights they are junk and don't really work any better
I the bulbs I use are 10k so they are alittle blue but still very white

I believe that sentence would be known as a "run on". While I do realize that commas and periods are not required on a hunting forum, they sure do make it easier to read a sentence.

Re: '96 Chevy headlights [Re: Brother in-law] #6106255 12/28/15 07:24 PM
S
shadams Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Haha...careful man, someone else was giving someone [censored] like that on another thread and turns out the guy had 2 purple hearts and used a software program to type for him, ended up making the guy feel like crap!!

Anyway, I have used HID's as well and for years didnt have any problems. But the one time I did I was out in the middle of nowhere with the wife and kids and I lost a headlight and after an hour of dicking around found out I had a bad ballast. Luckily I had a stock bulb and after another half hour I got it going. Just not worth the hassle...

"If the Truth becomes Outlawed, then Outlaws we must become..."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide