Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Remington 700 270 to 7mm conversion [Re: wtjim] #6121867 01/06/16 05:10 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Sell or swap. Remington 7mm Mags are twisted right, and are VERY easy to find.

You did what?
Re: Remington 700 270 to 7mm conversion [Re: J.G.] #6122253 01/06/16 08:20 PM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Skip truing the action unless you are married to it until death do you part.

A cut rifled barrel chambered and threaded by a good smith to .0005". It'll shoot tiny with a hand load.

Why? only costs between $125 and $150 and can make a big difference in how it shoots depending on how off it is. If I am spending 1k plus on a action/barrel/gunsmithing etc that's not much more and it can and usually does make a difference. Remington actions a HORRIBLE from the factory. Just watched a buddy try to square up a bolt face on one a week ago and he had to take a ridiculous amount off and it still didn't get it square. Plus when you resale it you get get 50-75% of that money back. Meaning it only cost YOU $50 or so.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Re: Remington 700 270 to 7mm conversion [Re: caddokiller] #6122333 01/06/16 08:51 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: caddokiller

A cut rifled barrel chambered and threaded by a good smith to .0005". It'll shoot tiny with a hand load.

Why? only costs between $125 and $150 and can make a big difference in how it shoots depending on how off it is. If I am spending 1k plus on a action/barrel/gunsmithing etc that's not much more and it can and usually does make a difference. Remington actions a HORRIBLE from the factory. Just watched a buddy try to square up a bolt face on one a week ago and he had to take a ridiculous amount off and it still didn't get it square. Plus when you resale it you get get 50-75% of that money back. Meaning it only cost YOU $50 or so.

I have no first hand experience with it, but reasons I have read and been told again and again by people who have had it done are you wont gain any accuracy out of it the chambering and barrel is where that's at and you wont get any more money for it if you sell. Also typically custom guns are poor investment if you every want to sell you likely will loose money.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Remington 700 270 to 7mm conversion [Re: redchevy] #6122381 01/06/16 09:11 PM
C
caddokiller Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: caddokiller

I have no first hand experience with it, but reasons I have read and been told again and again by people who have had it done are you wont gain any accuracy out of it the chambering and barrel is where that's at and you wont get any more money for it if you sell. Also typically custom guns are poor investment if you every want to sell you likely will loose money.

Well I do have experience with this. Had a rifle rebarreled and it didn't shoot like I had hoped. Took it back to the smith (Dixon at LRI) and all he said is I told you so. He took the barrel off, trued the action, slapped it back on and it shot little bitty groups after that.

I do agree that 90% of your accuracy comes from the barrel and chambering but there is a difference in a trued action and one that is off. Just depending on if you are trying to eek out that last .1 inch at 400 or not. Probably doesn't matter if your banging 2moa steel at 800. Like I said if Im spending 1k plus on a rifle I want all the accuracy it will give me. Plus I have sold enough trued actions to know that you DO get most of your money back out of them. Maybe not if you sell them to a hunting group like THF but put them on snipershide or LRH and they bring usually $100 more at least.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.- Thomas jefferson
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide