Forum Stats
60412 Members
45 Forums
475564 Topics
6238609 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6103177 - 12/26/15 07:40 PM Nickel Boron????
DeerSlayer31 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Is a nickel boron bcg for an AR15 that much better then a standard bcg?? Just wondering if that would be a good upgrade to my PSA AR15.

#6103206 - 12/26/15 08:00 PM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Grizz Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Granbury, TX
I don't have a nickel boron coated BCG, but I do have a nickel boron coated trigger/hammer in my Spikes rifle. I can tell you there is a big difference in the feel of that trigger, it's extremely smooth for a standard trigger configuration. Based on that, I assume the BCG would be much smoother too. I've considered getting one myself, I've just had too many other things ahead of it on my list.

#6103251 - 12/26/15 08:24 PM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Shaner Offline
Woodsman

Doesn't make a huge difference and I have both. Money better spent on trigger, scope, etc....

#6103322 - 12/26/15 09:06 PM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Tim9880 Online   content
Bird Dog

Its just easier to clean. Havent seen any other difference in my ARs.

#6103343 - 12/26/15 09:18 PM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
BigPig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
My last AR had it, it wa seaside to clean, that's all I noticed. My new AR is getting a trigger coated in it, should see some difference there since you can actually feel the the grit of the current trigger. I will say that while handling the BCG it felt very nice and smooth.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6103472 - 12/26/15 10:23 PM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Grizz Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

It definitely struck me as something that would be easier to clean. I don't know how anything could stick to that stuff.

#6103601 - 12/27/15 03:46 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Toxarch Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Parker County
Like mentioned, just easier to clean. Might cycle a little smoother. You probably won't gain anything other than a fraction of a second in reloading time.

— Dwight D. Eisenhower

#6103632 - 12/27/15 05:59 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
GasGuzzler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cooke County, Texas
I have seen no need to spend the extra dough.

#6103748 - 12/27/15 08:15 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
It sticks to steel - or they would not be able to apply it.

#6103761 - 12/27/15 08:19 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Grizz Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

I know the nickel boron sticks to steel, I meant I don't know how anything sticks to the nickel boron (the exterior).

#6103814 - 12/27/15 08:56 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
DeerSlayer31 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mesquite, TX
That's what I'm finding out I'll just stick with the standard bcg.

#6104780 - 12/27/15 05:38 PM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Big Fitz Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I have several of NiB and std phosphate but have not tortured any of them to make a meaningful comparison. That said, NiB does offer some level of improved lubricity and, more importantly, requires less lubrication which "could" improve reliability, especially in situations where a higher round count is fired between cleanings.

For me, if the price is only $30 or so more, I opt for the NiB. Another option is to purchase NiB bolts for existing BCGs. This is what I do (after checking headspace) and keep the others for spares.

Below is input from an engineer on another forum for your consideration:

NiB is also much cooler running. I read this from some lab reports, but verified it with the temp probe on my fluke meter. 60 rounds with NiB and 60 rounds phosphate. I'll try to find my little note pad, where I recorded everything (I did a pretty thorough test between the two), but found that although the question pops up, not to many folks really care, when the results are posted.

I do have the credentials to test the two, I have a BSME from U of Dayton, did a lot of work in cermic and other metallurgical coatings, and liason between ME and QC. CAVEAT: I don't have any illusions of qualifying as an armorer or Master Gunsmith, but many of the experiences are directly rated.

Since I bought my first NiB, which I fell in love with, and have since completed another while recuperating from herniated discs and fused vertebrae in my neck, before I can test the latest bolt. Will be almost 2 months before I can go to range and test.

Actually, I don't want to bore the crap out of everyone with what I found in every nook and cranny but your post is typical. (I don't mean this in a cynical way). Is it slicker ? A: yes. However, the degree to that it is slicker is not brought up, and that attribute can and does make a large difference depending on the "slickness", or I think more accurately "lubricity". Since no quantitative value is given for either, and from either, me or you, the amount of benefit here in this post is unknown.

Total delta between delta of a cold NiB and Hot NiB is significantly wider than the same test with a phosphate.

Does it require less lube? My first bolt, which for now I'll keep under my hat unless someone is interested is yes. A big yes. Part A recommends very little lube per 3K rounds. Part B, with a slightly different formula and technique (with an exothermic coating being the key difference here) recommends NO lube, or nothing more than a very thin wipe down every 5K or so.

This in itself has gotten the attention of MIL/PRO/GOV'T/Private organizations who operate in the desert where "dust" is fine almost fine enough to brush your teeth with.

Cleaning? Well that's the part I really love, a shot of gun scrubber and my thumb nail just about does it.

In closing UWone77, I've not covered much, because each step opens another flight of stairs. I am also absolutely not minimizing your observation or insights. I'm just saying that in GENERAL, when this subject pops up, either the questions or the answers are to oversimplified to give the prospective buyer much info to go on to. Price is one consideration, I paid $210 for one, and $240 for another, whose parent company does a great deal of the coating for other bolt makers.
And now, another coating, I forget it's name, now used in the entire lower, parts kit, pins etc. says to NEVER , Ever use any lube. Hype or Truth? We'll see. I'll use NiB until something new comes out that's better.

Here would be my 3 criteria for someone with absolutely no interest in metallurgy, Non destructive testing, Destructive testing and a whole lab's worth of goodies to work with.
A - If money is no object, go with the NiB, hands down.
B- You really don't shoot more than 2 or 3 mag's at a time - phosphorus will work just as good as it always has.
C- Want to see for your self....if you have access to a lab, or just want to do some Non-destructive testing side by side, and can afford both, go for it.
D-If you don't have one already, buy or borrow the latest version of Machineries Handbook #29. Won't make you an engineer, but will cover just about any question, problem etc. related in building or manufacturing from about every obtainable on earth, polymers, different steels, to what kind of screw to use, to you name it. It's 2000+ pages, but you don't have to read every page, just look up by category as you need.

Edited by Big Fitz (12/27/15 05:39 PM)

#6107787 - 12/29/15 09:23 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
cerda12 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Austin, Tx
Once again, a lot easier to clean. I have read that the Nickel Boron will change color over time. I went with Nickel Teflon and it is super smooth. Either way, both up the "cool" factor of the gun.

#6109232 - 12/30/15 06:22 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: cerda12]
GasGuzzler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cooke County, Texas
Originally Posted By: cerda12
Either way, both up the "cool" factor of the gun.

And there you go....

#6111407 - 12/31/15 10:18 AM Re: Nickel Boron???? [Re: DeerSlayer31]
Txhillbilly Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Johnson County
I bought a NiB bcg for my Seekins Precision build. It was nice and pretty when it was new.Easy to clean.
After the first 2-3 range sessions,the color has changed to a dingy yellowish silver color and will not come clean. It also has started showing signs on the carrier of the NiB finish wearing off the guides in a few spots.I also need to change out the gas rings,they no longer seal very well.
This bcg has under 1000 rounds shot from it,I'm not impressed with NiB coatings.My phosphate coated bcg's have many thousands of rounds fired,and show very little wear on the guides.

I ordered a new Melonite coated bcg to try out,maybe it will do better than the NiB bcg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide