If no livestock, then I will start the arguments. In my opinion no question about the easiest to plant 100lbs oats/ 50lbs Austrian winter peas per acre. 100lbs of 13-13-13 fertilizer. Plant Sept 15 - October 1. Pray for rain. Put a feeder at the plot and you will have the best of both worlds. If you have livestock they will need to be fenced out or you are wasting your time and money.
In the perfect world of food plots you get your wife to do it!!!!!
1. August 15. mow area to be planted.
2. August 15. spray area to be planted with a round-up type of weed killer.
3. August 25. plow dead plants under
4. September 15. plow field one more time.
5. September 15. fertilize and plant oats and peas
6. September 17. have it rain on your field and two weeks later everything is starting to come up.
7. October 1. still waiting for rain (in real life). bet don't worry, seeds will not go bad and will come up when it rains.