Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6100893 12/25/15 09:42 AM
H
HS2 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
H
It's safer in an elevated blind. Fewer problems with angry half-shot hogs, creepy crawlies, and panthers. I can get just as much excitement from the safety of a blind. Plus there's a lower likelihood of a stray bullet from some stray hunter finding me.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6100971 12/25/15 01:12 PM
F
Freeman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
A buddy and I were sitting in folding camping chairs up on a hill overlooking a pig pipe one night and I heard something close by on our left--turned on the light to find two skunks about 10 feet away. Yikes! Fortunately they reversed course and wandered away. Then about 30 minutes later something big was kicking stones as it came up behind us. Suddenly it became apparent that a big boar did not like what he smelled and he started grunting at us. Unfortunately my truck was parked about 100 feet behind us and I didn't want to put bullet holes in it, so I couldn't whip around and start shooting. The boar moved into the brush and just stood there grunting for a while before he finally left. Scary stuff in the dark.

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6101030 12/25/15 01:59 PM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Was kneeling in the brush once, before my knees and back were shot and I could do such things, sixth sense took over and I glanced over my shoulder to see a bobcat in attack mode less than 10' away. Twisted at the waist and shot him with my gun still laying across my legs. Tried to stand up and my legs were shaking so bad I just crumbled to the ground. I would like to think he didn't know what I was, and was just investigating, but I don't know. Also, when I was kid, I was hunting a fence crossing (we owned both sides) by leaning on a post. Spike came down other side of the fence with his nose to the ground and I shot him by poking barrel against his neck as he came by. Literally point blank.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6101133 12/25/15 02:58 PM
F
Forester77 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Supposedly true story: Years ago in San Augustine county a man took his wife with him deer hunting. They got in the woods well before light, and he put her up in a ladder stand, then went to his stand which was a some distance away. She sat there a bit, and then heard something approaching her stand. It stopped right under her tree, and she began to hear all sorts of animal-like sounds and grunts. She leaned out, trying to see what it was in the darkness and brush below, slipped on the frosty rungs of the ladder, and fell right on top of some other hunter in the process of taking a dump. After the screams and short scuffle, the unknown hunter ran for it, apparently never realizing what kind of animal/person had landed on him.
Shaken up, she got her husband down from his stand, and they realized what had happened when they found a lever action rifle lying near the base of her ladder stand. They reported the incident to the sheriff's office and turned in the rifle. Story goes that although the newspaper posted info about a "found" rifle that was being held at the sheriff's office, it was never claimed.

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Forester77] #6101288 12/25/15 04:35 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch did i ever tell yas bout the tim went back home for a visit... Hooked up with me ol pard
& another good friend, got us few brewskies & just eased around the gravel roads listening ta boot stompen, ye-hawen, knee slappen music... Talken bout the good ol days... Hit little ol town, drove past a house, said me ol boss lives thar... Pard said your cous lives their now... Hadn't seen him in years so we swong around, pulled in... Lots of cars partyon555 twas after 2 bells, & pitch dark slid open slidding door, a winding stair case bout 4 steps ta right, softly whispered me cousins name... Heard movement about, eased up the steps whispering his name... Got shoulder high at ground leave, when twas pounced on.. Hair flew, blood was drawn from claws & bite marks... Yelled me cousins name, seen a shadow sit up, & light came on & reply... Cous is that you ? Yagh twas me reply, get it off... His wife asked you know him? He said ya that's me cous that's lives in Texas... Ogh, twas reply, so she let go of me & eased back inta bed... My pards ran for the car ta keep the motor running. i aplollagised, & eased down the steps, were me cousin joined, drank a brewski, appoligised, again, we laughed about it, young lady wouldn't come down she twas too embarrased.. Cous twas used ta the late night visites from days of old... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6101299 12/25/15 04:46 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I had a mountain lion walked in front of me in early morning
I was in a ground blind in Mason Co
Didn't scare me , was pissed I can't get a shot off fast enuf

9 months go while sitting in a pop up blind I had hogs behind me
15 min later I had a 230 lb boar 20 yds from me
He s the biggest hog I ve shot

Big or dangerous Game don't scare me as long as I have a weapon on me

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6101348 12/25/15 05:31 PM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Had a boar rubbing against my popup one time i didnt know if to shoot thru my blind or drop a deuce in my pants or both lol. I thought he was trying to get into the popup after me at first.

Not game but fell asleep hung over one cold morning before sun came up in one of box blinds at the ranch. About 30min before sunrise an illegal tried with all his might to get in. That scared the hell outta me when i hear banging and an avid attempt to get in. Kept yelling to get the $%#! Back in english and spanish, but the fella didnt say a word, just dead silence except for all the racket. Thought it was the chupacabra or coocooey for a bit lol.

Last edited by jorge; 12/25/15 05:40 PM.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: 1860.colt] #6101431 12/25/15 06:32 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch did i ever tell yas bout the tim went back home for a visit... Hooked up with me ol pard
& another good friend, got us few brewskies & just eased around the gravel roads listening ta boot stompen, ye-hawen, knee slappen music... Talken bout the good ol days... Hit little ol town, drove past a house, said me ol boss lives thar... Pard said your cous lives their now... Hadn't seen him in years so we swong around, pulled in... Lots of cars partyon555 twas after 2 bells, & pitch dark slid open slidding door, a winding stair case bout 4 steps ta right, softly whispered me cousins name... Heard movement about, eased up the steps whispering his name... Got shoulder high at ground leave, when twas pounced on.. Hair flew, blood was drawn from claws & bite marks... Yelled me cousins name, seen a shadow sit up, & light came on & reply... Cous is that you ? Yagh twas me reply, get it off... His wife asked you know him? He said ya that's me cous that's lives in Texas... Ogh, twas reply, so she let go of me & eased back inta bed... My pards ran for the car ta keep the motor running. i aplollagised, & eased down the steps, were me cousin joined, drank a brewski, appoligised, again, we laughed about it, young lady wouldn't come down she twas too embarrased.. Cous twas used ta the late night visites from days of old... flag

cheers We was poor, easy going folks... Worked hard, played hard, for that thar easy money... Yagh pretty mellow going... As pappy once said: Why if we found a flea on our favoret dog.. We'd pic the flea, turn it loose, & give it a 10 sec head start, before we go ta shooten . flag

i'm postaddic
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6101996 12/26/15 02:55 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Few weeks ago I stepped out of my blind, and something growled at me, I quickly pussed out and got back in the blind.

Damn hog sounded like a mountain lion.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6102118 12/26/15 04:36 AM
D6Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I use to walk a couple of miles to the blind for exercise and stealth. Well one morning in the dark I found myself in the middle of a sounder of hogs. The hogs take of running and I felt the wind from a few that got close enough.

Had a calf stick its head in the pop up.

Moving a box blind with a tractor. As soon as the guy driving the tractor lifted the blind a skunk popped its head up from under it. I don't know who took off running faster, me or the skunk.

Have had a few deer close enough to poke with a arrow or barrel of my rifle.

Slapped a sleeping hog on the rear once. That sucker was in a deep dream sleep.

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: D6Ranch] #6102178 12/26/15 07:32 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: D6Ranch

Need more details..... rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6102522 12/26/15 05:13 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Furry Animals don't get me....now a covey of quail at 5am....

^^^ this^^^

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6102558 12/26/15 05:35 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Sitting in a Mesquite flat leaned against a bull Mesquite tree in the middle of afternoon and glanced to my left and a big honker of a skunk was about 15 ft away feeding and digging for bugs and headed my way. I hissed at him and he bowed up then ran away. No way I could have move fast enough if he wanted to perfume me down. rifle

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6103471 12/27/15 04:23 AM
D6Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: D6Ranch

Need more details..... rofl

Still hunting along a tree line and I spot a young hog asleep in what is obviously a heavy dream state, like a dog, I call out to it a few times and it does not respond. Smack it and it wakes up, runs a few yards and turns to look at me. I'm laughing the whole time.

Re: When wild game gets too close [Re: Texas Dan] #6103705 12/27/15 01:51 PM
T
twinbubba Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Pitch black walking down a road headed to a blind, crossing a creek and it is so dark you cannot see the ground 10' in front of you then have a herd of turkey fly out of the roost 20 yards away. That will put some pep in your step.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, 09 Yamaha Rhino 450 Camo,
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide