Forum Stats
60416 Members
45 Forums
475635 Topics
6239471 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6096397 - 12/22/15 10:11 AM Texas hunting?
Corpsman76 Offline
Green Horn

Loc: SA, Texas
I am active duty military who likes to hunt whenever I can. I am originally from Michigan where there was good state hunting land just about everywhere you lived that you could just walk on and hunt. From what I have read, it seems that Texas as a different situation. Do most people either own land, know people who own land and let them hunt, or pay to hunt someones property? I know that there is state land around, but a lot of it seems that you need to be in a drawing or something like that to hunt certain game...Where do you guys hunt? Thanks.

#6096476 - 12/22/15 10:48 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX

#6096485 - 12/22/15 10:53 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
CenTex Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Waco
Welcome to Texas and the THF. Thank you for your service! Unlike most states Texas is in the most part privately owned although there is some public land hunting available throughout the state. The vast majority of Texans lease privately owned hunting property. Good luck in your search!

#6096489 - 12/22/15 10:55 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
welcome and thank you for your service. flag

There are some great bucks taken from Ft. Hood every year. PM Sapper Titan and he can give you the inside track on hunting there.

Most of the land in Texas in privately owned. We don't have state income taxes, thus property taxes are pretty steep. So you have to pay a trespass fee to most land owners to hunt there. This is usually done through some type of lease agreement or guided hunt. Some charge by the day. If you choose to hunt private, ALWAYS ask for multiple references before you commit to hunting there.

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (12/22/15 10:58 AM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6096534 - 12/22/15 11:29 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
deerfeeder Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Southwest, Tx
welcome flag

#6096564 - 12/22/15 11:45 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
Corpsman76 Offline
Green Horn

Loc: SA, Texas
Thanks guys. Fort Bullis would probably be my best option then. I am stationed in San Antonio for training atm, so I am not really going to be around long enough to take advantage of leasing somewhere. I am mainly interested in Hog hunting as that is something we don't really have up in Michigan. Anyone have any good spots down here? I have emailed a few places, but no one ever emails me back...lol.

Edited by Corpsman76 (12/22/15 11:47 AM)

#6096601 - 12/22/15 12:12 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
rattler03 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
if you want to hog hunt you may be able to find some landowners that would be willing to let you hunt their land for free. they would view it more along the lines of eradicating an undesirable, destructive species and therefore may not charge you to help them lower their hog numbers. I would think you would have a better chance of getting free access if you are willing to hunt the land on a regular basis to give you a better chance at actually making an impact on the population. Taking a few hogs here and there isn't going to do anything to control them, but if over the course of several months you were able to remove 10 or more hogs (a lot more than that could be possible on a lot of places, too) for a landowner it could help manage their hog problem. Somebody on the forum may even know of a situation like this that would allow to hunt hogs for free.

welcome to Texas, welcome to THF and thank you for serving our country. flag

Edited by rattler03 (12/22/15 12:13 PM)
-Robert Earl Keen

#6096717 - 12/22/15 01:12 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

welcome

#6096856 - 12/22/15 02:48 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
Pope&Young Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX / Hunt - Eastland
welcome

#6097264 - 12/22/15 06:48 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
I guarantee you that there are hogs on Camp Bullis. I don't live far from there. Are you at Lackland? Welcome. flag

#6097750 - 12/22/15 11:05 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
texas Welcome. I grew up in Michigan too. Texas is a completely different animal when it comes to hunting. Hardly any public land available.

#6097761 - 12/22/15 11:11 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Corpsman76]
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog

I am from New York lived there from about 17yr to my meds 20s befor going active duty yes Texas hunting is a business for land owners I have made deals with farmers who were loosing $30,000 in wheat a year and they still wanted me to pay them to kill the hogs after I took them fishing for an entire season Not to mentions hunting here is kind of boring they put feeders out and then sit in a bind and shot them when they walk up I just get so bord sitting there for hours after 2 i want to get up and walk i understand the reason they hunt like this but when your use to finding a nice tree kick up the snow and make a seat sit looking down a hill then getting up and just stole through the woods till you catch some movement through the trees. it just hard to transition but i am getting there. I am medicaly retired a few years ago I live across the street from ft hood. there are a tone of hogs in fact its so bad there are shutting down like 18-20 training ares just so the game wardens can go trap them. My buddy has them coming t his feeder every night theres about 30 of them in that group. I meet a guy who was from San he drove up here to ft Hood to hunt thats just nuts it long drive. Ny all you had to to was pull up on the side of the street and get and and hunt the woods no one cared as long as you did not shoot towards there house or there cattle. the deer are much bigger up there i shot an 8point this hear and it ws 122lbs I have shot does the weighted more then thats but like you we alway wanted to hunt hogs up there and were never able to the year were my dad was going to come down to TX he passed from Agent orange. you can give me a call if you want to hunt hood i have a budd how is a guid and i made friends with a game warden he gave me a map he circled a few train areas and locations that hare loaded with hogs I know cap about hog hunting but willing to go if you are

Edited by chemdawg (12/22/15 11:18 PM)

#6097839 - 12/23/15 05:00 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: chemdawg]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Originally Posted By: chemdawg
I am from New York lived there from about 17yr to my meds 20s befor going active duty yes Texas hunting is a business for land owners I have made deals with farmers who were loosing $30,000 in wheat a year and they still wanted me to pay them to kill the hogs after I took them fishing for an entire season Not to mentions hunting here is kind of boring they put feeders out and then sit in a bind and shot them when they walk up I just get so bord sitting there for hours after 2 i want to get up and walk i understand the reason they hunt like this but when your use to finding a nice tree kick up the snow and make a seat sit looking down a hill then getting up and just stole through the woods till you catch some movement through the trees. it just hard to transition but i am getting there. I am medicaly retired a few years ago I live across the street from ft hood. there are a tone of hogs in fact its so bad there are shutting down like 18-20 training ares just so the game wardens can go trap them. My buddy has them coming t his feeder every night theres about 30 of them in that group. I meet a guy who was from San he drove up here to ft Hood to hunt thats just nuts it long drive. Ny all you had to to was pull up on the side of the street and get and and hunt the woods no one cared as long as you did not shoot towards there house or there cattle. the deer are much bigger up there i shot an 8point this hear and it ws 122lbs I have shot does the weighted more then thats but like you we alway wanted to hunt hogs up there and were never able to the year were my dad was going to come down to TX he passed from Agent orange. you can give me a call if you want to hunt hood i have a budd how is a guid and i made friends with a game warden he gave me a map he circled a few train areas and locations that hare loaded with hogs I know cap about hog hunting but willing to go if you are

I think the THF has a new poet laureate. Sorry Colt. flag

#6098272 - 12/23/15 10:50 AM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: Palehorse]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

I think the THF has a new poet laureate. Sorry Colt. flag

cheers i don't mind being on the ignorance list ... chemdawg served his country with pride... up seems like a pretty good ol boy... flag

i'm postaddic

#6098536 - 12/23/15 01:34 PM Re: Texas hunting? [Re: chemdawg]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Originally Posted By: chemdawg

<shift>,,.<shift>,,,<enter><shift>,,<shift>.<enter><shift>,,.<shift>,,.<enter><shift>,,...<enter><shift>,. [/spellcheck]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide