elite v Mathews #6095192 12/21/15 09:49 PM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
G'day all,

Wanting a new bow this year and so far I've narrowed it to three different ones.

I'm look at either a Mathews Halon 6, Mathews HTX or an Elite Impulse 34.

Appreciate any opinions from people that have had experience with them already?

cheers

JP

I prefer meat in it's original packaging.

JP Hunting - Australian big game guide and outfitter service.
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6095597 12/22/15 01:50 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Elite bows are nice but not worth the Elite price tag on them.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: passthru] #6095778 12/22/15 03:22 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: passthru

Have you seen the Mathews price tag?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6095795 12/22/15 03:30 AM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Have you seen the Mathews price tag?

I've got to admit I had a laugh with this call, The Halon in Aus retails for $1650 bare!

The Elite I34 is still $1450 mind you but with a brand matching quiver the Halon is nearly $2k in Aus, so yeh pricey!

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: passthru] #6095947 12/22/15 06:27 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

Neither are Mathews IMO.

Have shot the first 2 on the list and was not impressed with either. The Halon draw cycle reminded me a lot of the Bear Arena that is almost half the price.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6096212 12/22/15 02:39 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Look at how an Elite is put together vs. a Mathews or Hoyt. Look close at the components attached to the riser, limb pockets, camo coating and even the riser. There is a reason the are heavier and it's not to make the quieter or deaden them in your hand. They are just an overall lower quality. Still nice bows. In m pov they should be priced 25 to 40 percent less than the top brands. And their customer service ability to take card of issues needs work as well.

NRA Life Member
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: passthru] #6096308 12/22/15 03:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Look at how an Elite is put together vs. a Mathews or Hoyt. Look close at the components attached to the riser, limb pockets, camo coating and even the riser. There is a reason the are heavier and it's not to make the quieter or deaden them in your hand. They are just an overall lower quality. Still nice bows. In m pov they should be priced 25 to 40 percent less than the top brands. And their customer service ability to take card of issues needs work as well.

Disagree on both accounts. I've had a warranty issue (my fault)... Had the bow fixed and back with in two weeks.

Mathews is lacking in the innovation department and has for several years. Thus the tank of a bow the no-cam, and move to the havon. Mathews makes a good bow but it's no better fit finish or quality then Elite

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6096394 12/22/15 04:11 PM
B
BowMan59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by passthru

Disagree on both accounts. I've had a warranty issue (my fault)... Had the bow fixed and back with in two weeks.

Mathews is lacking in the innovation department and has for several years. Thus the tank of a bow the no-cam, and move to the havon. Mathews makes a good bow but it's no better fit finish or quality then Elite

+1
I shoot Mathews, like it don't love it. I have shot Hoyt and PSE, Mathews is superior to either of those. However the Mathews is know for the creep no matter which model you choose. I've had hunters this year shooting the Elite, got to say I'm thinking Elite has taken the top spot. Think about this, the number one shooter in the country is Levi Morgan, he's shooting Elite, you think with his reputation and career on the line he's going to shoot and inferior product when he can shoot whatever he wants to for free, I don't think so. Check out the attached YouTube video.

Last edited by BowMan59; 12/22/15 06:49 PM.
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6096558 12/22/15 05:40 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Okay, order an Elite accessory or something for your left handed bow and see that two weeks stretch to 2 to 4 months. And I know different on the fit and finish. None of my Mathews bows ever chipped but the Elite did. You boulder even find the edge where the dip seamed up. The weight is a whole other story. The lack of fit on the riser itself is a big part of it. The cable guard is a slide and less efficient than rollers as is the standard on higher end bows. Not saying they aren't good but my Energy 32 wasn't nearly as quality a bow as any of my past Mathews or My current Hoyt.

I do agree that Mathews has lost a step when it comes to in ovation though.

NRA Life Member
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6097692 12/23/15 04:26 AM
J
JPHunting Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Thanks guys I do appreciate the good and the bad, it's pretty hard to believe that a product from anyone is perfect. To be honest, I've put this thread up on another forum and done some researching myself just on reviews and such and this is the first real negative other than their speed against Elite so I find it very interesting.

Just to note, the Impulse 34 at 4.4lb is actually lighter than the halon 6 at 4.5lb.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6098547 12/23/15 07:39 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Shoot all 3 and pic the one that will not let your hand go. All 3 are great but they all offer something just a little different. I have shot all 3 and I lean more to the elite because of their back wall. I have never had a problem with Elite's warranty or turn around times.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6100259 12/24/15 09:23 PM
drycreek3189 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I don't know about anybody else, but I buy my bows to shoot, not to look at. I've had several Mathews and several Elites. The E 35 is what I will shoot until either it or me is worn out.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6101736 12/25/15 11:53 PM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Like has already been said shoot all 3 , see which one fits you.
I personally shoot a Elite answer 2011 , you can not beat Elite costumer service, if you need it. warranty.
I don't no where you guys buy your bows but in N.C. price for a new elite is about $899.00. Forrest

Last edited by Drahthaar; 12/25/15 11:55 PM.
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6101738 12/25/15 11:55 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Jack,
I think they are all good bows...and none have a cheap price tag. I shoot an older model Mathews..it shoots better than my capabilities. It feels good to shoot. So the fellow who said "Shoot all 3 and pic the one that will not let your hand go." gave the advice I'd recommend.

One other thing to throw into the mix....Mission bows are a very decent bow and they are made by Mathews with a lower price (also more adjustable draw length). Given you are going to use this as a hunting bow I'd find one that felt good to hold/draw and had the ability to adjust the draw length and pull. The draw back with my Mathews is the draw length is set pretty precisely.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6101905 12/26/15 01:57 AM
ttechcolleyville Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Last time I was having a hard time deciding which bow to purchase, the guy at the archery shop had me shoot each bow with my eyes closed. He nocked the arrow and aimed me at the wall of course. Had me draw, hold my draw and release several times. It made it very easy for me to decide and it took out any brand specific biases.

It is an Elite Energy 35 and I love it. Shoot it 4-5 times a week whether hunting season or not. Never had an issue with their customer service. Now that all said, I have never owned a Mathews.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6104856 12/28/15 12:19 AM
R
r_u_sharp_2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
IMHO, The right way to buy a bow is as ttechcolleyville described his last purchase. Shoot everything that you can get your hands on. Let the bow choose you.

I happen to shoot Mathews, because at the time it felt the best and had the specs that I wanted. Just didnt like the harshness of the Hoyt draw cycle. When I look for my next bow... I will take a good look at Elite. Shot a buddies and it felt great.

Matt

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6105747 12/28/15 02:54 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I wouldn't bet on elite being around in 10 years, matthews is an established brand that will be.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6106635 12/28/15 11:09 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Shoot them all and pick what you like.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6109032 12/30/15 04:04 AM
D
DeerTamales Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
There is a reason a lot of the top competitive shooters have made the switch to Elite. I shoot an Impulse 31 and it's the best bow I've ever held. I started with Mathews then Hoyt and now my Elite. I don't plan on looking at new bows for a very long time.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6117781 01/04/16 03:42 PM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've shot Mathews since the early 90's. Probably have spent more money than any man should on bows during my lifetime, currently I have 25 Mathews's hats in my closet, and if you don't know what that means, well, uh, it means they gave me a new hat each time I bought a new bow.

I bought another bow this year, shot the Mathews and heck, if I wanted what they had to offer, I should have just kept my SB. Shot the Elite Impulse 31 and walked out the door with it rigged up. Never thought I would switch brands, but Mathews just didn't have much to offer that they haven't already.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: passthru] #6120765 01/06/16 12:14 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Okay, order an Elite accessory or something for your left handed bow and see that two weeks stretch to 2 to 4 months. And I know different on the fit and finish. None of my Mathews bows ever chipped but the Elite did. You boulder even find the edge where the dip seamed up. The weight is a whole other story. The lack of fit on the riser itself is a big part of it. The cable guard is a slide and less efficient than rollers as is the standard on higher end bows. Not saying they aren't good but my Energy 32 wasn't nearly as quality a bow as any of my past Mathews or My current Hoyt.

I do agree that Mathews has lost a step when it comes to in ovation though.

I guess you got the lemon. They all have a few. Everything you have said in this thread is 100% opposite from what I have experienced. And yes I shoot a left hand synergy. Needed some parts and bam!...they sent them to my door, not the pro shops door, no expense out of my pocket. . My son shoots a mathews no cam and loves it. He had an issue with and Bam!...pro shop and mathews took care of it.

Re: elite v Mathews [Re: bossbowman] #6124946 01/08/16 03:34 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: bossbowman
I wouldn't bet on elite being around in 10 years, matthews is an established brand that will be.

I would be willing to bet you about all you want that they will be around.

Elites fit and finish is much better than Mathews but the feel of the draw and shot on any bow is a very personal thing which is why people suggest shooting as many as you can before buying. For most who haven't always shot Mathews the Elites seem to feel better though. If you shoot any brand long enough any others feel odd for a bit. I like more speed and a lighter bow than they offer though. Both are heavy and slow for their ata and brace heights IMO.

[Linked Image]
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: DeerTamales] #6125029 01/08/16 04:28 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: DeerTamales
There is a reason a lot of the top competitive shooters have made the switch to Elite. I shoot an Impulse 31 and it's the best bow I've ever held. I started with Mathews then Hoyt and now my Elite. I don't plan on looking at new bows for a very long time.

The reason is money. They are the big spender right now. Those shooters are of a caliber they can win with any top brand. They shoot who pays them best.

NRA Life Member
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: passthru] #6125058 01/08/16 05:06 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: DeerTamales

The reason is money. They are the big spender right now. Those shooters are of a caliber they can win with any top brand. They shoot who pays them best.

Thats how Mathews got on top so quick. Spend major money on pros and advertising and sales will follow. Its smart how they have both done it.

[Linked Image]
Re: elite v Mathews [Re: JPHunting] #6126242 01/09/16 12:03 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Yep. And my Elite was a good bow. I bought it over Mathews. Three things I couldn't get past was grip, speed and weight. Especially the grip. Never got comfortable, or consistent, with it.

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide