Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Outfitter on your own or through consultant? #6081373 12/13/15 06:50 PM
83mvp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I'm looking for opinions, good and bad, on why or why not to go with a consultant to find a good hunt out of state. (Or Texas for that matter). And recommendations of same.

I've about had it with leasing here in Texas. (Family sells the place, landowners keep going up and up every year, hunting with jack wagons you don't know, etc.) For what I spend every year here in Texas, I can buy a guided hunt for nearly anything and have somebody else cook for me. laugh

Don't flame me for wanting to hunt outside my beloved Texas, just trying to get the most bang for my buck. (Pun intended)

Thanks.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081414 12/13/15 07:10 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I do both. And there's advantages to both. One of which, on the outfitting, side you mentioned - someone else feeding you. I'm a big fan of that, you can ask my wife.

There'll be a few come along here in a minute and have good suggestions on consultants/outfitters. Do you want to stick with deer, or are you open to elk and other big game?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081415 12/13/15 07:13 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
And I'd make plans to attend the Dallas Safari Club Show in January. >>>DSC show

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: Creekrunner] #6081444 12/13/15 07:25 PM
83mvp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
I'm open to most big game in the US. WT, MD, antelope, elk. Maybe black bear and caribou. Anything more than those is pretty much outside my spending limit. So says She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I usually go to the Safari Club show. Thanks for the response.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081459 12/13/15 07:31 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There's also Sneaky's annual OTC Colorado elk hunt that's a group from this forum. We (I only went last year, not this year) haven't downed one yet, but, by golly, I think they're getting closer! It won't break the bank or upset the war department.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081839 12/13/15 11:17 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have used a consultant and booked directly with outfitters. It seems like when I have used a consultant things were always close to what was described.. They seem to vet the outfitters pretty well. For International hunts other than Canada I usually met them a DSC. The few hunts I have booked without using a consultant or meeting them at DSC have generally been disappointments. It seems that US and Canada outfitters greatly exagarate the quantity and quality of the hunts as well as accommodations and hunt conditions. I have relied on outfitters reviews on this and other forums with some success and some failures. i kinda rambled but I hope this helps. On another note.....you are right the cost of hunting in Texas is shockingly high compared to hunts in other western states and Canada.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081841 12/13/15 11:19 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Oh I forgot the consultant that I have been using is Hosted Hunts.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081847 12/13/15 11:22 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Jason Carter is a pretty good consultant on outfitters and hunts you have a snowball's chance of drawing.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6081868 12/13/15 11:30 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
If you are a military veteran, buy your own place using the "Texas Vets" program. I did it 17 years ago and have never regretted it. Depending on how much you have been paying someone else, each year...buy your own place and YOU make the rules.
Out of state, make contacts thru the chamber of commerce where you intend to hunt. There is more public land than private land in some states (Not Texas).

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094558 12/21/15 03:03 PM
H
huntnguide83 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
As an outfitter myself I can tell you that some of the benefits of booking with one is that we commonly have access to better properties than the average hunter is able to find. I operate in 5 different states in both LF and HF operations. Can you find some great hunts on your own? Certainly! But, like most of us we all have to juggle time between work and family life. I gave up on leases years ago for alot of the same reasons you mentioned earlier. I've spent years improving the ranches I've hunted only to see the property sell, or someone else move in on us. I personally try to go on a few hunts annually if my schedule allows vs. leasing. Feel free to PM me at anytime for any help locating a hunt ,or if you have any questions.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094613 12/21/15 03:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: 83mvp
I'm looking for opinions, good and bad, on why or why not to go with a consultant to find a good hunt out of state. (Or Texas for that matter). And recommendations of same.

I've about had it with leasing here in Texas. (Family sells the place, landowners keep going up and up every year, hunting with jack wagons you don't know, etc.) For what I spend every year here in Texas, I can buy a guided hunt for nearly anything and have somebody else cook for me. laugh

Don't flame me for wanting to hunt outside my beloved Texas, just trying to get the most bang for my buck. (Pun intended)

Thanks.

On rare tags consultant. On OTC type tags or easy draw tags, I'd find my own outfitter.

You good outfitters on easy tags will be booked well in advance and typically don't need the consultant service to sale spots.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094637 12/21/15 03:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Sometimes it's best to go with a consultant and sometimes directly with the outfitter.

There are good and bad of both. The key to having a good guided hunt is research to find the best outfitters for the type of hunt in the locale you are considering. Sometimes consultants are a big help - sometimes not. Some of the best outfitters for particular hunts are not hooked up with any consultant.

There is no set general rule.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6094642 12/21/15 03:48 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: 83mvp

Thanks.

On rare tags consultant. On OTC type tags or easy draw tags, I'd find my own outfitter.

You good outfitters on easy tags will be booked well in advance and typically don't need the consultant service to sale spots.

I would listen to this man on this ^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094645 12/21/15 03:49 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I talk to friends who have hunted in the area I want to hunt if I can. Get their feedback. I have one friend who keeps a a couple of folders full of outfitters contact info, their references and his notes from talking to them and all of their references. He researches on his own very hard before he books a hunt. Some he hunts with and some he keeps on file for future hunts.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: stxranchman] #6094674 12/21/15 04:02 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I talk to friends who have hunted in the area I want to hunt if I can. Get their feedback. I have one friend who keeps a a couple of folders full of outfitters contact info, their references and his notes from talking to them and all of their references. He researches on his own very hard before he books a hunt. Some he hunts with and some he keeps on file for future hunts.

That's basically my system. By the time I am ready to begin booking I usually have it narrowed down to two or three outfitters. Then I do my final calls, meetings, etc. and decide.

I have never used a consultant but many swear by them for certain hunts - mainly international. I have not done an international hunt. I plan on booking an Africa hunt directly with an outfitter. For international hunts like Marco Polo, Ibex, Tur, etc. in out of the way places like the Middle East or Asia one of the well-respected consulting services is almost a necessity due to lack of direct access to the outfitters and all the other logistics involved.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094696 12/21/15 04:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
One good tip is to always ask the outfitter to provide the name of EVERY hunter and photos of EVERY animal taken for the past 3-5 years.

If you have that info that will go a long way in helping you make your decision.

The sheep outfitter I am about to book with sends a photo card with EVERY ram taken each year. The quality of the animals across the board speaks for itself.

If an outfitter is hesitant to provide that information, run away.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6094703 12/21/15 04:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

That's basically my system. By the time I am ready to begin booking I usually have it narrowed down to two or three outfitters. Then I do my final calls, meetings, etc. and decide.

I have never used a consultant but many swear by them for certain hunts - mainly international. I have not done an international hunt. I plan on booking an Africa hunt directly with an outfitter. For international hunts like Marco Polo, Ibex, Tur, etc. in out of the way places like the Middle East or Asia one of the well-respected consulting services is almost a necessity due to lack of direct access to the outfitters and all the other logistics involved.

It is a very good system. He is meticulous in his search and will wear an outfitter out with questions and calls. Then he will call every reference he is given and take notes on their feedback/conversation. He looks at repeat numbers on hunters closely if it applies. Keeps all those notes taken in those outfitters files.
He is also used this a lot to start his searches if he could not find a friend who hunted with an outfitter or hunting in a new area. Even if he was referred by a friend he will still check then out on here and all their references.
http://www.huntingreport.com/

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: stxranchman] #6094713 12/21/15 04:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

It is a very good system. He is meticulous in his search and will wear an outfitter out with questions and calls. Then he will call every reference he is given and take notes on their feedback/conversation. He looks at repeat numbers on hunters closely if it applies. Keeps all those notes taken in those outfitters files.
He is also used this a lot to start his searches if he could not find a friend who hunted with an outfitter or hunting in a new area. Even if he was referred by a friend he will still check then out on here and all their references.

Yes. It's all about the research. 90+% of bad experiences on outfitted hunts could be avoided by thorough research. Not just on outfitters, but areas as well. Right now (due to many factors) finding a good ram in AK is becoming a daunting task. Many areas simply don't have the legal rams they used to have - even the good outfitters in those areas are struggling to find sheep.

Many traditionally good caribou areas have gone south also. And on and on.....

Things are very dynamic when it comes to particular areas and particular species. Up-to-date information is paramount.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6094735 12/21/15 04:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yes. It's all about the research. 90+% of bad experiences on outfitted hunts could be avoided by thorough research. Not just on outfitters, but areas as well. Right now (due to many factors) finding a good ram in AK is becoming a daunting task. Many areas simply don't have the legal rams they used to have - even the good outfitters in those areas are struggling to find sheep.

Many traditionally good caribou areas have gone south also. And on and on.....

Things are very dynamic when it comes to particular areas and particular species. Up-to-date information is paramount.

I can see where keeping in touch with outfitters and keeping current on conditions in an area would be important. Drought, winter kill, changes in landowners, over booking, etc can all effect success today. What happened in the past is important, but you can hunt in the past.
He had an outfitter call him on Mule Deer opening that he has spoken with 8 yrs priour. He was booked up for several years out with repeat clients. So he kept the contact info on him. Outfitter called him one week before the season was to start and said his long standing repeat hunters(4 spots only) were not coming back due to a death in the family late summer and he had been trying to find new hunters for a couple of weeks to replace them with old contacts. My buddy got all his recent references and called them all, then bought all 4 spots over the phone. He went on the last hunt and killed a 210"+ gross Mule Deer. He had friend take the other spots. Keeping contact info works both ways it seems. I like to hunt with outfitters who do not hunt a lot of hunters. I like the ones that do all the scouting themselves. Their success shows in their hunt results and repeat clients. I have never been a fan of large hunting camps or crowded hunting areas.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094762 12/21/15 05:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Me neither.

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: 83mvp] #6094765 12/21/15 05:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I am a card carrying member of the Grouchy Old Fart Remote Hunt Club. grin

Re: Outfitter on your own or through consultant? [Re: stxranchman] #6094817 12/21/15 05:37 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I am a card carrying member of the Grouchy Old Fart Remote Hunt Club. grin

I bet you can get upgraded to President. grin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide