Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Any ideas? Long read. #6092515 12/19/15 11:31 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
A buddy of mine and I got our first lease this season. It's a slough with a tree line on one side, where our blind is, and is surrounded by cotton and bean fields. There are a few other leases within ear shot. We spoke with some of the guys on a neighboring lease today and they said they've shot about 25 ducks this season, but have had some mallards, gadwall, a woodie and some other species. We have shot five ring necks and one gadwall. That's it...for the season. And we've maybe had 25 total birds come in while we've been there during legal shooting hours.

I'm not complaining, just looking for some advice. It's been a weird year in North Texas this year and there just aren't as many birds coming down right now as anyone would like. Couple that with there being more water than I can remember, and warm temperatures, and I understand that it's not going to be a honey hole. Honestly, I'm confident our slough just hasn't had water consistently over the years. It went from four inches when I first checked it out in September; now it's four feet deep in front of the blind and it's spread out in either direction quite a bit.

Should we go with a comically big spread? Should we pair it down to a minimal amount? We've tried a mojo and up to 48 decoys. Should we go bigger? Go way smaller?

I'm going to do this tomorrow, but we tossed around the idea that it might be a mid- or late-day resting spot. We've only hunted until about 11 am and have always been there and setup before legal. Anyone ever hunted a place that's used as a resting spot after feeding? What was it like and did you scout it all day to figure that out or is there a "typical" type of tank they are drawn to for this type of activity?

We didn't think it would be a honey hole or anything and wanted to use it as a learning experience and if we had a good year, great. If it was decent but it accelerated the learning process, also great. But five ring necks and one gadwall is not what we imagined. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas. We hear neighbor's shooting and occasionally see a few groups in the distance. It's not like we are flaring birds or something. That, I think we could change. I think it's a combination of not having a good migration for the area and there being a lot of water, I'm just not sure if there is anything we can do to convince the birds we do see to check out of spread.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6092559 12/20/15 12:12 AM
B
brennansgrandpa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
If you are kicking large numbers of ducks off your spot when you arrive you have your answer. An afternoon hunt might be just the thing you need to try.

Last edited by brennansgrandpa; 12/20/15 12:13 AM.
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6092569 12/20/15 12:27 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Corn.

Do you ever see birds on it when you're not hunting? A food source is always good. Hunting a loafing spot can be good and fun but you can burn it up in a hurry. Same goes for if they're roosting and you hunt it in the evening.

Last edited by FowlDreams; 12/20/15 12:32 AM.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: brennansgrandpa] #6092574 12/20/15 12:31 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: brennansgrandpa
If you are kicking large numbers of ducks off your spot when you arrive you have your answer. An afternoon hunt might be just the thing you need to try.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll be there tomorrow to see, just wondering if anyone had hunted a place like that before.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: FowlDreams] #6092575 12/20/15 12:33 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Corn

Im not quite break-the-law desperate, but up

[Linked Image]
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6092578 12/20/15 12:35 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
There just aren't many ducks down yet. Calm down, what you describe sounds like a good spot, but 4 feet is to deep for puddle ducks to feed in

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6092584 12/20/15 12:39 AM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
The public place in n Texas we've been hunting the last week was a mid day loaf spot, which can be great hunting. I've found that birds are the pickiest about spread size and location during that type of hunt though. We hunted 200 yds off where the birds wanted to be Wednesday and shot 1 hen mallard. Moved to that spot Thursday and shot 12. Got there and set up at 9am when everyone else was walking out. If it's possible spend a day and just glass it and see what the birds do when you aren't there. If they show up mid day, take note of where and how many and do that with your decoys up

Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Jeff Elder] #6092681 12/20/15 02:06 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
There just aren't many ducks down yet. Calm down, what you describe sounds like a good spot, but 4 feet is to deep for puddle ducks to feed in

Agreed. Got a little frustrated today (not as bad as my buddy) so I'm exploring all options and opinions.

It's four feet deep directly in front of the blind for about a thirty foot stretch and then it gets shallower to where it is about a foot deep. We start the spread about where it starts to get shallower and go back from there, so the deep part is closer to the blind, if that makes sense.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Esh and Hattie] #6092704 12/20/15 02:20 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
The public place in n Texas we've been hunting the last week was a mid day loaf spot, which can be great hunting. I've found that birds are the pickiest about spread size and location during that type of hunt though. We hunted 200 yds off where the birds wanted to be Wednesday and shot 1 hen mallard. Moved to that spot Thursday and shot 12. Got there and set up at 9am when everyone else was walking out. If it's possible spend a day and just glass it and see what the birds do when you aren't there. If they show up mid day, take note of where and how many and do that with your decoys up

Thank you. That's what I'm looking for.

[Linked Image]
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6092902 12/20/15 04:29 AM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
You're welcome, good luck, hope you can get em feet down

Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6092907 12/20/15 04:40 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Scout it in the morning and afternoons to figure out an answer to your question

Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6093006 12/20/15 12:54 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Not trying to be rude or anything but if you have only shot 5 ducks off it this season do not get on the lease next year. 4 feet of water, it's a diver hole only if your lucky, it is obviously not a loafing spot if you have been hunting it till 11 and not doing well.

Everyone says we do not have many ducks down yet and I agree not as many as the last couple of years but still plenty of ducks have moved down. The rain and flooded lakes, ponds and fields just have them spread out and most of the food they are used to eating is covered with water.

If the pond your hunting is higher than normal right now it could be that the food source is under too much water and the puddle ducks may not be using it, 6 inches of water or less can be money right now.

Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6093010 12/20/15 01:13 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I wouldn't give up on it yet.

I've been scouting a few spots this season that just now are starting to see a few ducks. I haven't even tried to hunt them because the numbers just aren't there. By this time last season I had already shot several limits off of these same ponds according to my log book.

If I had just acquired these spots this year I would have thought they were a bust.

I don't think you can change anything about your spread at this point. It doesn't matter what you do if the ducks aren't coming in to begin with.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6093134 12/20/15 03:01 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Agree with Brady Buck. I've got several places that have held a ton of ducks the last few years that I haven't seen any birds on this year. Don;t get discouraged.

The ducks are here (although not in the same numbers as this time last year), but the puddle ducks are being REAL specific about where they want to be with all of the options they have had available this year. Up until the start of the second split, I had better luck and saw more good ducks hunting public (public meaning as far back in the thick stuff you could get)... now we're starting to do better and see more ducks on smaller private stuff.

I wouldn't give up on a lease just because there aren't many birds on it right now... that will change with weather and conditions. It may not be this year, but it may be a powerhouse next year. I don't let private places get away from me anymore if I can help it. They are too hard to find. I love hunting public, but even with a ton of scouting and work it can be a bust because there are a lot of things not in your control.

That being said, I like having private places that I can hunt too. I can take my 83 year old grandpa who can barely see and walk but still loves to duck hunt, or take my kids to, and the dogs get to make lots of retrieves.

Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: mohunter] #6093170 12/20/15 03:28 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: mohunter
Not trying to be rude or anything but if you have only shot 5 ducks off it this season do not get on the lease next year. 4 feet of water, it's a diver hole only if your lucky, it is obviously not a loafing spot if you have been hunting it till 11 and not doing well.

Everyone says we do not have many ducks down yet and I agree not as many as the last couple of years but still plenty of ducks have moved down. The rain and flooded lakes, ponds and fields just have them spread out and most of the food they are used to eating is covered with water.

If the pond your hunting is higher than normal right now it could be that the food source is under too much water and the puddle ducks may not be using it, 6 inches of water or less can be money right now.

That wasn't rude and I appreciate your reply.

To clarify, the entire slough isn't four feet deep. Most of it is actually less than a foot deep. It just so happens that directly in front of the blind, from the front of it out to about 30 ft, is four feet deep. Then it is a foot or less. So shooting distance is about the perfect depth of water. Also, this place is basically water from farm field runoff, except this year, because we have gotten so much water. I don't think it's ever been this full of water, so not a typical year, even though it's my first year on this place.

Thanks for the reply (this goes for everyone that has replied). I'm not giving up yet!

[Linked Image]
Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6093215 12/20/15 04:22 PM
J
Jeff_S Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
5 yrs of drought, plus big flood = groceries for days...especially at the upper end of our lakes.

I mean if I were a duck and had the option between a safe gigantic flooded oak bottom and a 1 acre farm pond well there ya go.

I for one love all the new flooded stuff. More of a treasure hunt to find the birds, which to me is the most rewarding part....

If I could just go walk 50yrds to a bank, throw a few dekes out and shoot a limit, I'd quit hunting.

Re: Any ideas? Long read. [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6093902 12/21/15 01:45 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for the feedback, advice and discussion.

I got to the blind around one and left at 5. Didn't see any ducks, even flying in the distance. Most of the time I had a very stiff south wind and it was overcast.

Hope some birds start showing up in north Texas before the end of the season!

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide