Print Thread
good read #6091018 12/18/15 06:15 PM
M
mansfldcowboy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M

Have we lost our way as hunters in today's society? Here what The Buck Advisors' Jeremy Flinn discuss why he hunts, and what he has changed in the last two decades.

Visit any hunting forum or deer hunting related social media post, and you will find what I am talking about. Since when did we become such a criticizing group? It's amazing how many ways your deer can be too small, too "fenced," or even too unethically harvested. So you never made a bad shot, good for you. I have, and I have lost deer. But I have also lost many hours of sleep over those deer.
As I get a little older and a little wiser, I feel like the success of hunts measured in inches of antler, number of deer seen, or deer shot were done in a way that a took my hunts for granted. I should have taken those hunts for the time spent with friends and family, the experiences in nature, and the freedom to hunt such amazing landscapes.
Now we face a tougher situation. Other hunters making us feel like we have done wrong. There is no picture safe of social media, whether young or old, buck or doe, and gun or bow you will have a negative comment. It's sickening. Out of all the stuff hunters can do to each other (trespassing, stealing cameras) this ranks just as high in my book. It's a public display of disrespect to the hunter, and the harvest. It needs to stop.
I know my hunts will be looked at differently, and I will support any hunter who legally harvests game, and truly appreciates the experience and the bounty.
Jeremy Flinn is also the Chief Marketing Officer for Stone Road Media, enhancing the digital marketing for hunting, fishing, shooting & tactical.

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091052 12/18/15 06:48 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Pretty spot on. And the reason why even if I do get lucky enough to take a deer this season the picture won't be posted on the internet, I don't care what others think. I hunt, I enjoy it and I don't care for opinions.

Re: good read [Re: rickym] #6091056 12/18/15 06:50 PM
L
LovinLakeLife Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: rickym
Pretty spot on. And the reason why even if I do get lucky enough to take a deer this season the picture won't be posted on the internet, I don't care what others think. I hunt, I enjoy it and I don't care for opinions.

^^^^This

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091086 12/18/15 07:33 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
2cents As pappy once said: Family & Friends sharing time together for grillen & chillen flag

i'm postaddic
Re: good read [Re: 1860.colt] #6091107 12/18/15 07:49 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: colt.45
2cents As pappy once said: Family & Friends sharing time together for grillen & chillen flag

X2

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091200 12/18/15 08:42 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
It's not just hunting, it's EVERYTHING.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091202 12/18/15 08:44 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Amen.

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091223 12/18/15 08:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The bottom line is if you are sensitive to the opinions of others about what you are doing (hunting or anything else), then social media is not the place to be sharing it.

I am amazed at the folks who go on the various forms of social media seeking opinions about things - and then get upset when they receive them.

All most people on social media really want is back pats and validation. Or a fuss. One of the two.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091482 12/19/15 12:47 AM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I hunt for my pleasure not anyone else's, when and if I harvest an animal it is to my pleasure from rabbits to elk, it's my business. If I do post anywhere it would be for my benefit. I never posted a picture of a harvest pig, yote, deer, ducks etc. because anybody would or could criticize my actions not my pleasure. I'm not talking about a killing machine, I've let a lot of animals walk. Got more enjoyment just watching.

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091591 12/19/15 02:41 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I hunt to share what i can remember with my kids and to spend some time doing the I fish because I love it and love to eat them what I dont like is a guy in a 50,000$ bass boat and 10 rods strain about it get mad at me for taking a league limit of bass then he made the mistake of getting in my boat to through them back in the lake no o good choice for any one do do it need badly for him I dont think he was expecting the outcome to be what it was then he called the cops and was even more shocked that the fps roled up it was an army hunting and fishing compound on i cant recall the lake it had 3 names it spit the border from South corolina and Georga he was arrested for assault trespassing and breaking and entering and the illegal passion of a game fish he did not catch it in the mouth with a rod and reall I am sure there were others but is recall then me i factored y had and to bones in my foot when i kicked back lag round house kick in in the face messed up is wrist wilt this was login on i told youngest to go in the trick i ask my oldest if he felt comfortable in taking him kid is skinny but he can fight his grandfather was a many thai trainer and they teach in in school at pe. he was rambling about being on the lake or 2 days and not getting thing i seen him fishing i told him to slow down and fish the area not just blaze through and i dont even bass fish i goes in 2 days he did not catch a single and because guys lie me who are legally can keep 5 from 12-14ins i did we eat them 2 i have a family to feed i dont sport fishing I fish because i love it and then i get to eat it my wife and kids are thai and topped all but my daughter she is half now have my mother in law i take care of well she takes care of me take the kids to school cooks cleans baby me the i am hurt she is a wonderful women and she can cook like return quilty food every day my wife is a good cook she started cooking for the family when they were out working at the age of 6 yes 6yr old and she could cook my this moment if it were i got lucky i think any how it was not the first time bass fisherman have gotten mad at me for eating the beloved [censored] fish or what i like to call Blue cat food but for some reason the have a fit if you keep them if the stated did not want the to be harvested they they would say so and you could not keep them but there is a daily bag limit and size lime i dont care what it is as long as it is legal to eat and be taken I have no issue with a man feeding his family weather he this statement my not be popular even if it was pooched as long as all of it is use and not just the back traps to one rear rumps if you are needy enough to take it illegally use it i wont say a work but if your killing just to kill and not use pisses me off when i lived with my mom were were beyond poor way bond my step dad could not keep a well paying job do to drinking so many time me and my sister wee starving be cause he drank up all the money so i would go out back and take a deer at 11yr old grouse habits if you could eat it i would kill it or i would fish the spawning grounds for salaam and steal head and take a few me and my 2 sisters on old on younger but people dont realized some of use hunt to heat is in our nature we dint away have grocery stores we hunted and gather but every thing so PC it makes me sick I have a retired army buddy were where in the time town well he paid for gass and for got to pump it a few hrs later he goes to the sore the clerks had a [censored] chang so the clerk on duty call the other on to verify it was him she said dont get offend ok i am going to discxcriveb you to here he said as long as you str of its ham some were good she said is age his hight what he was wearing then when it cam to is skin cooler her face when plank then bright read and see didn't know what to say I told her just sy black and she said it people get to sensitive about thing every one is in ever one els business and judging them for no reason it des not affect them so they have no dog in the fight so what if i like to kill dear we eat every bit of meat liter's my mother in loads scrapes th bones for meat you u say deboned she really take the literal but its good not to waist my wife grew up in a small village he job was to watch the buffalo the pulled to work the rice farms. yes they still to this day prefer buffalo to tractors like my writing some people have to jump on me with out knowing why comes sense would dictates some is this bad on perpuse there must be something wrong wit him my be i should ask but early ever do the do that no no to easy lest brake is balls openly even the messages i get privet are people telling me to stop writing in threads on guy said if i cant read and write like a 5 graders then i cant write on the fourm then i get oh man i am sorry when i tell tham and post a few pick this was not even some of the really bad ones that is just the cleanest one i dont really like t spst that stuff what i am really fared of is social media and the family of who was killed in it seeing it and bring more greef in to there lives so i keep it to my self but i put it up not for action so you guys can why i am the way i am like the guy said above who cares what others think or int like what you do its legal and i am sure you dont wast it there are plant of people who will take it

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091760 12/19/15 05:51 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Giving colt a run for his money there!

Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091789 12/19/15 06:26 AM
S
SaintsReturn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Great post but I still question why those of common interest would put down others on a forum. If I go to an mp forum to talk about glocks, I get what I deserve. But when I am on a hunting forum, I enjoy reading and seeing what others are doing. Don't judge because it's great to share the joy of a good hint, regardless of the turn out. This is one reason I like this forum. I am new here but I have seen a lot of positivity and that's what this sport needs

Re: good read [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6091800 12/19/15 09:27 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The bottom line is if you are sensitive to the opinions of others about what you are doing (hunting or anything else), then social media is not the place to be sharing it.

I am amazed at the folks who go on the various forms of social media seeking opinions about things - and then get upset when they receive them.

All most people on social media really want is back pats and validation. Or a fuss. One of the two.
this

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6091806 12/19/15 10:17 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good write up, but the internet is a place where if you cant stand the heat, dont walk in the kitchen. right or wrong it is what it is. Common sense tells ya all this.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: good read [Re: Txduckman] #6091941 12/19/15 02:14 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

For sure. I tried, but had to give up on it. Makes the old head hurt.

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: good read [Re: d.g.ruff] #6092213 12/19/15 06:37 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff

Here is a good read for you fella's. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._nothing#UNREAD

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: good read [Re: chemdawg] #6092242 12/19/15 07:06 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF & up for your service... Merry cristmas ta everyone their... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: good read [Re: d.g.ruff] #6097450 12/23/15 02:18 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff

scratch That just ain't right... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: good read [Re: Dalee7892] #6097497 12/23/15 02:41 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I hunt for my pleasure not anyone else's, when and if I harvest an animal it is to my pleasure from rabbits to elk, it's my business. If I do post anywhere it would be for my benefit. I never posted a picture of a harvest pig, yote, deer, ducks etc. because anybody would or could criticize my actions not my pleasure. I'm not talking about a killing machine, I've let a lot of animals walk. Got more enjoyment just watching.

That is spot on. I owe you a beer and I live in Denton also.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6097615 12/23/15 03:44 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
These issues didn't exist when I first started hunting as a kid back in the 70's. Back then, ANY deer taken was considered a trophy because of the time and effort it took just to get a shot at one.

IMO, there were two groups that were responsible for creating the earliest division within the deer hunting community. The first was the creation of groups that, intentionally or not, put a very negative light on hunters who did follow their management beliefs. According to their preachings, anyone who harvested a buck "before its time" was, and is still seen as a lowly sinner. The second was the creation of hunting "elitists" who thumbed their noses at anyone who did not hunt with bow. And all the while, more and more effort was put into making deer the tremendous cash crop they are today.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: good read [Re: mansfldcowboy] #6097641 12/23/15 03:56 AM
K
kmartinusa Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: mansfldcowboy

Have we lost our way as hunters in today's society? Here what The Buck Advisors' Jeremy Flinn discuss why he hunts, and what he has changed in the last two decades.

Visit any hunting forum or deer hunting related social media post, and you will find what I am talking about. Since when did we become such a criticizing group? It's amazing how many ways your deer can be too small, too "fenced," or even too unethically harvested. So you never made a bad shot, good for you. I have, and I have lost deer. But I have also lost many hours of sleep over those deer.
As I get a little older and a little wiser, I feel like the success of hunts measured in inches of antler, number of deer seen, or deer shot were done in a way that a took my hunts for granted. I should have taken those hunts for the time spent with friends and family, the experiences in nature, and the freedom to hunt such amazing landscapes.
Now we face a tougher situation. Other hunters making us feel like we have done wrong. There is no picture safe of social media, whether young or old, buck or doe, and gun or bow you will have a negative comment. It's sickening. Out of all the stuff hunters can do to each other (trespassing, stealing cameras) this ranks just as high in my book. It's a public display of disrespect to the hunter, and the harvest. It needs to stop.
I know my hunts will be looked at differently, and I will support any hunter who legally harvests game, and truly appreciates the experience and the bounty.
Jeremy Flinn is also the Chief Marketing Officer for Stone Road Media, enhancing the digital marketing for hunting, fishing, shooting & tactical.

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by LandPirate
We kept it as a pet for several months until it got run over by a truck. Then we ate him.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide