Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
The last time i let my deer sit #6090877 12/18/15 04:42 PM
Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Shot a spike (had one unbranched antler)
at 730 in the morning with mybow and figured id finish my hunt and get the spike afterwards since it was so cold. Big mistake. About 10am i get to my deer and a coyote or bobcat had eaten all the guts and half a backstrap. Did me a favor really haha. But never in my life years after hunting in Colorado and Texas has this ever happened. Even in Colorado we leave meat on the ground for days sometimes and nothing messes with it.

By the way this is my first bow kill and first deer on public land! Im pretty proud. Hes not a trophy but he represents years of not getting anything, learning, trial, error and hardwork. Bow hunting is tough! Ive learned that the hard way

Last edited by deftsound; 12/18/15 04:44 PM.
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090889 12/18/15 04:51 PM
R
Ricochet83 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
they made quick work in 2.5 hours. Were the guts completely consumed or were there still scraps left outside of the carcass? Looks like walking dead zombies got it.

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090893 12/18/15 04:54 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
That absolutely sucks! Sorry to hear that.

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090907 12/18/15 05:05 PM
B
bossbowman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
We ain't the only ones who think they're tasty grin

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090910 12/18/15 05:06 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Ive read that yotes will pull the hair off an animal before they eat it and I see a lot of hair around the deer so id say prob yotes. Pretty wild they got to it that fast. How far did the deer run?

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090940 12/18/15 05:18 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It can happen quickly. I shot a doe one that ran about 20 yards into thick brush. I kept hunting since it was early and noticed a fawn acting strange starring that direction. I got out and went to find the doe after about 20 minutes. A big chunk of one hindquarter and some of the gut were gone. My guess was a bobcat, but coyotes felt the wrath the next two weeks. rifle

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090990 12/18/15 05:53 PM
Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
He ran about 100 yards. After i shot him a bobcat came to my spot and was sniffing the blood, i like watching bobcats so i dont shoot them, but it might have been him. Also while i was quartering the deer out a coyote walked up on me and wouldn't run off. I finally had to chase him off with a stick so it coulda been him too. There was a lot of torn off hair around him, like a big pile.

And yea they ate pretty much every bit of the guts besides some of the lungs deep in the chest cavity, also they got half a backstrap. The rest of the meat was fine though i quartered him out and hes on ice right now.

Hell, these animals around here. I left the horns in my carpot over night to let them dry and this morning they were gone. I dont know what could be appetizing about a set of deer horns but some little bastard got them

Last edited by deftsound; 12/18/15 05:56 PM.
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6090999 12/18/15 06:00 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I'm betting a coyote or two, they went for the high prize nutrition vs just meat. I'd bet since it is public land, they are well conditioned to people and lack some of the sense a true country azz yote has, similar to a city yote, they will steal a cat of the porch from between your legs, so....

Congrats on your buck anyhoo up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091096 12/18/15 07:41 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: deftsound
He ran about 100 yards. After i shot him a bobcat came to my spot and was sniffing the blood, i like watching bobcats so i dont shoot them, but it might have been him. Also while i was quartering the deer out a coyote walked up on me and wouldn't run off. I finally had to chase him off with a stick so it coulda been him too. There was a lot of torn off hair around him, like a big pile.

And yea they ate pretty much every bit of the guts besides some of the lungs deep in the chest cavity, also they got half a backstrap. The rest of the meat was fine though i quartered him out and hes on ice right now.

Hell, these animals around here. I left the horns in my carpot over night to let them dry and this morning they were gone. I dont know what could be appetizing about a set of deer horns but some little bastard got them

Stop watch bobcats and chasing yotes with sticks and start shooting them...

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091122 12/18/15 07:56 PM
E
enock Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I did a doe hunt in Kerville about 10 years ago. They dropped me off at blind and said they'd pick me up at 10. I shot a doe at 7:30am and not 10 minutes afterwards the buzzards and 2 yotes were all over her. I shot one of the yotes and drug her back to the stand and had to wait for pick up. I fought buzzards the whole time. I was exhausted and PO'ed. I didn't have a cell phone at the time so calling was out.

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091129 12/18/15 08:00 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
yotes always go for guts/breadbasket first.. meat still good though.. they just gutted it for you

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: 8pointdrop] #6091190 12/18/15 08:35 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Originally Posted By: deftsound

Stop watch bobcats and chasing yotes with sticks and start shooting them...

up rifle
up rifle
up rifle
up rifle
up rifle

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091272 12/18/15 09:36 PM
Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I'll never shoot a bobcat. Coyotes on the other hand i will shoot the hell out of. Unfortunately i left my bow back at my stand and didn't have a gun on me.

Last edited by deftsound; 12/19/15 12:08 AM.
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091440 12/19/15 12:09 AM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I won't shoot bobcats either, but coyotes better look out. I always have a couple of buckshot in my pocket on a turkey hunt cause they love to sneak up on my decoys.

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091624 12/19/15 03:18 AM
C
chemdawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
That is just sick i thought someone shot it wit .50 cal it is what it looks like on an animal one of my soldiers shot one camel in kawait the nomads were out talking in front of us the were so fare we didn't even know there were we could not see them the gun good a mile and nothing can really top it but i think bob cat look niceI have never seen a bob cat and did not know they had them here I have seen live cougars in the wiled so i dont think i would either the have to live and to live the need t eat too part of the eco system but coyotes are dead on sit i went in the kicker coup when i as you nt no sure of my age teaser or younger a little but the chicken were making crazy noises like it id when i a dog got in there so i went to look i did not see anything then i seen these light bring brown flash and something telling on my leg i kicked it a few time and i am guessing it ran out i am not sure i how i got the the hospital arable one of the neighbors i was bitten my the dam thing and had to get a series of rabies shots wich sucked you ever take a needle in the stomach it was pain full in ti wasn't just once it was sever limes and i had to get stitches i was bitten by a fox too i was young still in telemetry school and i seen a fock un in a hold and back out so i told my dad we went to check it out we could hear kits taping my dad told me to get them out we can sell them he told me to stick my hand in the whole and come under neath them that were back to fare he tell s me ti wiggle my wingers and the will come to check it out then you grab one ya the ckeched in you and i still have a scare were that little rat Baster bit me in the finger. My dad did some mean stuff with and i was this punch line i was 18-20 yrs old it had snow heavy the night befor and we lived so fare out in the country we did not have trash serve we had to burin it he had taken a 7ft metal drain pipe and sunk in on its end and you drop your garbage in there clean it in th spring well it was about 3 ft from the top trowels the end of summer he asked me ti take the garbage out i her the door open and looked bak my dad is laughing his as s of with the video am i just thought he was nuts so i turns around and when to toss the bag in th whole and 4 white and black tails used up and i got sprayed but skunks i was heated i rutnd for tthe house and he ran in an locke d me out we disappears and ones back with a 22 and tell your already spraid and stink go kill them so i went and shot then and got sprain a few more times he would not let me in the house and told e to get off the porch and wait in the garage i made a free in there to keep warm it was cold about 20 or my dad leave and come back about 2 mons with some stuff you wash does wit tho get the skunk off dogs but i had not water oh he had that figured out was going to use the hose after stalling i had no choice so i striped do but as naked in the front yard good thing about liven the country taking a shower with a gardon hose in latfeburey in 20 deg so ya it was cold but the stuff works i was shocked ii hd to through my close away later that the the amish guys came over to use the phone and we too him about the stkunks he went over picked the m up and took the home skinned them out and sold them for 20 $ a box he bought me and my dad a box of 22mag shells for wich was nice oh lets not for get the smaller my fist year that i had never seen on before him an amy unglued were on there way back seen a turtle and put it in the trunk i pend the truck and the 15b turtle opend hits out and hissed it scared the hell out of me i fell in my [censored] jumped up close the lid and talk them to go to hell

Last edited by chemdawg; 12/19/15 03:22 AM.
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091658 12/19/15 03:47 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
popcorn

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091671 12/19/15 03:58 AM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
congrats on your first bow kill at least you were able to save some of the meat up

Re: The last time i let my deer sit [Re: ] #6091767 12/19/15 06:02 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
My buddy shot a deer and dumb mistake thinking he missed. Next day all we find is a skull with two spikes. He said he shot a doe but oh well. I found blood in snow and it was not 50 yards away. They obliterated the whole thing to nothing.

I had to scare a hawk or some kind of bird off one of my deer last week while I still hunted. He came back though poking his eyes out.

Congrats on first bow kill though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide