Forum Stats
60428 Members
45 Forums
475759 Topics
6241061 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6089339 - 12/17/15 12:11 PM So you fire a shot. What comes next?
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

I was fortunate to learn how to hunt from men who had very strong ethics when it came to respect for wild game and practices in hunting them. Most of them were hardened, WWII veterans who do not take likely to those who broke the rules by looking for shortcuts. One of them was looking for game after taking a shot. Their stance was that if you took a shot, you owed it to the animal to look for it, without regard to whether it was daylight or dark, raining or dry. You didn't just run down to where the deer was standing and look for blood, and if not finding any, use it as an excuse not to look. In fact, if you did shoot and miss, or even worse, wound the animal, you spent a very long time looking for it, almost as if you were being punished for not being a more accurate shooter. And believe me when I say the very last thing you wanted to happen, is for the animal to be found less than 50 yards from where you thought you shot and hit it. As one of them once said, and which I have repeated here, "The buzzards tell no lies."

Spring, Texas

#6089358 - 12/17/15 12:24 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Texas Dan]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
I tend to agree. But if I know where an animal was when I shot, and after 20 minutes, can't find a drop of blood within 30-40 ft of where he was, I'll quit looking. But i think you are talking more about looking within a few feet of where he was, and giving up.

#6089392 - 12/17/15 12:38 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Texas Dan]
noland Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Stephenville Tx
I always look after shooting. Regardless if I find any blood. Depending on where the animal is hit there may not be any blood. I shoot a 22-250 ballistic tip and there are many times that I hit an animal and never find blood but recover them anyway. I definitely think u owe the animal enough respect to look for them.

#6089401 - 12/17/15 12:44 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Texas Dan]
OutdoorAggie Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Bell,Coryell,Lampasas
Took me 10hrs to find a spike once. He was frozen 1/2 way under in a creek. bang

#6089407 - 12/17/15 12:48 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Tff caribou]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I tend to agree. But if I know where an animal was when I shot, and after 20 minutes, can't find a drop of blood within 30-40 ft of where he was, I'll quit looking. But i think you are talking more about looking within a few feet of where he was, and giving up.

Like the OP said, I am looking anyway. I have seen too many animals never leave a drop of blood and be found 50 yards away.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#6089425 - 12/17/15 12:59 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Texas Dan]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rolling Plains
Once I fire a shot I can go to the spot the animal was shot and somehow it's always laying right there. Strange.

#6089426 - 12/17/15 01:00 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Simple Searcher]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
A guy on our lease looked for about an hour and then returned to camp and grabbed his Drone to look for the deer since he found no blood. He never foudn the deer, but I give him props for thinking outside the box.

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Like the OP said, I am looking anyway. I have seen too many animals never leave a drop of blood and be found 50 yards away.

I put 4 well placed shots on a deer with a 30-06 and had a very minimal blood trail, he was piled up about 30 yards from where I last shot him. 2 shots to the shoulder/chest, and 2 through his neck and he was still able to walk away eek2

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6089430 - 12/17/15 01:01 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Tff caribou]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have found many a deer after looking for blood and not finding one drop. I have found the first blood 50 or more yards away in some cases. I have shot deer and watched them go down in sight. Then get out and try to find the blood trail to them to see if I could. Sometimes the only thing I could find was the tracks leading to the deer with blood only within a few feet of the dead deer. Some deer just do not bleed till they hit the ground depending on shot placement. I shoot high point of the shoulder so I expect to not find blood close.
I will also say I have looked for a buck I shot that I watched bolt off and run into thick brush one foggy morning. I waited about 30 minutes and walked to the spot I had marked(the fog had lifted). I made a quick walk into the brush on a trail and no deer. Made a few circles and still no sign of blood or deer. I widened my search circles with still no sign of the deer or blood. It was not very thick after I got into the brush where I thought he had run. There was a creek drainage that I thought he got into in the fog and I missed him running off. I walked north and south in the drainage and still could not find the buck or sign from him. So finally I went back to where I thought the buck had been standing to look for lunge marks when he bolted. Nothing. So, finally I went back to stand to look at my mark. What I saw was I walked to far(common miscue) and needed to be closer. I started out again where I thought he was standing after a new mark. I walked past a tall thick cactus clump and noticed him laying in the middle of it. I tried back track him and never found any blood. This all happened over an hour and a half time frame. I knew by the bucks reaction he had been hit. He left no blood. I did find what I thought was his tracks on very hard ground. I lost a doe one night when the blood played out after 300 yards. Had my dog with me in the very tall thick cover and she might have found it but did not stay on it(she was way ahead of me in the thick cover). I finally gave up after a couple of hours. It was cold after a windy front blew in at dark that night so I decided to pick up the search with better light the next morning at daylight. I was driving down a road on the backside of where I was looking and drove up on my dead doe laying in the road. She was probably still 200 yards passed where I lost the trail. Luckly it was cold that night and she was still in good shape.

#6089447 - 12/17/15 01:11 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: noland]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Rockwall
Originally Posted By: noland
I always look after shooting. Regardless if I find any blood. Depending on where the animal is hit there may not be any blood. I shoot a 22-250 ballistic tip and there are many times that I hit an animal and never find blood but recover them anyway. I definitely think u owe the animal enough respect to look for them.

maybe its just me, but this would concern me and my caliber/bullet selection.

I never had a lack of blood or really even a tracking job with my 30.06 put in the shoulder.

#6089455 - 12/17/15 01:14 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: jshouse]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: jshouse

I never had a lack of blood or really even a tracking job with my 30.06 put in the shoulder.

trout It is just you... bolt

#6089465 - 12/17/15 01:19 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: Texas Dan]
noland Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Stephenville Tx
I have always shot a 22-250 and always kill what I'm shooting at. I have several other calipers but that is my gun of choice. I have killed deer pigs and axis with that gun and have always found them. I was just trying to get across that a lot of people shoot smaller calibers and they may not leave much blood. It's about shot placement more than anything.

#6089470 - 12/17/15 01:23 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: stxranchman]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

ha, would you want to be shooting that thing at 170" buck HOPING for a blood trail?

please, please, just this one time give me a blood trail!!!!

#6089474 - 12/17/15 01:25 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: noland]
jshouse Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

I have always shot a 22-250 and always kill what I'm shooting at. I have several other calipers but that is my gun of choice. I have killed deer pigs and axis with that gun and have always found them. I was just trying to get across that a lot of people shoot smaller calibers and they may not leave much blood. It's about shot placement more than anything.

I don't doubt that it will kill, not being able to count on a blood trail every time is what concerns me.

#6089482 - 12/17/15 01:30 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: jshouse]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

ha, would you want to be shooting that thing at 170" buck HOPING for a blood trail?

please, please, just this one time give me a blood trail!!!!

If I know have a bullet in him, I am finding him. up In your case grin you first have to actually see this 170" live and in color...not on a TC peep

#6089484 - 12/17/15 01:31 PM Re: So you fire a shot. What comes next? [Re: jshouse]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I don't doubt that it will kill, not being able to count on a blood trail every time is what concerns me.

Learning to track a deer without a blood trail really helps you when you have a blood trail. Your eyes are looking for more sign than just blood. up

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide