Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to make a gun more accurate #6088597 12/17/15 03:30 AM
C
chemdawg Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
C
Hi I was hoping to get some advice I just bought a new 243 axis yes i know not the most top of the line but out of the box it was shooting 5/8 in and a hair bigger not much I was wondering what i can do to make it more accurate. yes i want to shot the tight group possible with out reloading custom shells i am working on that with a few members to help me get set up as some of you have read i lost a lot of my memory . I can remember bits and pieces of my fathers talking about his 22-250 winches 70 varmint with bull barrel. it is by far the most accurate gun i have ever laid eyes on i have a dont of his loaded shells i know he had something done to the barred he had it bedded and the trigger up graded and lightens and then there was some bolt work. can some one help me understand what i can do to my 243 savage to make it more accutet i really want to get it dialed in but i lake the memory to do it or better yet as a gun smith to do it for me. i know it is a Cheap gun but it is a very good shooting gun and that is want i am after above all els name and prestige of having a howa weatherby sako or something like that yes i can afford them but when i did my research nothing stood out to justify the price they did not show any better yes they my be made better of course but i am happy with the gun I have and i want to make it the best gun it can bee please when you explain something to me on this remember my reading is not that great and a lot of times i need to get someone to read it for me since i have just 2 people in my house that can read english on is my 14yr old nephew i adopted 3 yrs ago so his reading is not that great so that leaves my oldest son 19yrs old I really just need people to know i can do just about every thing and i think and do every thing and if i did not tell people i had some mental problems like memory, reading and writing people would not know I am just getting back in to my guns and hunting I dont count hunting While stationed at Ft Gordon really hunting I use to go there just to get from every one and sit on a damp creek bead with my muzzle loader and I would tag out both years i was there but i never travels more the 25yr from my truck shooting up a creek. no here i am getting all my guns out shooting them and spending time with the kids teaching them how to shoot and being able to take my long shooting guns and make the long shot my 14yrold is little guy he really cant take the 30-06 25-06 or the 270 he can only shoot the 30-30 about 5 times before his arm hurts to much to keep shooting. he shoots it but not with the 222 22-250 220 swift the 22mag and 22longs if we can get the 243 done up like the 22-250 220 that would be great they get all excited when shoot 400yrd and beoned so please dont tell me the gun is not worth it it would cost more then the gun is worth. i am not selling it as i dont sell guns even if i dont like them i just hold on to them and the past few years i have loans my deer guns to other disabled vets who when on hunts for vets and stuff some of them dont have a gun or cant afford on so i have on issues loaning mine to them. they may be depressed and have issues with ptsd but when you ask them about the hunt they get a little perky and you can see the light coming back so it makes it worth it it the same reason i take other disabled vets fishing I go through the back asking process of making my wonderful Cheese dough bait and selling it i dont charg what other guids charg for catfish trip i am about half that and you get more time with me plues every penny goes right back in to taking disabled vets out or children of fallen soldiers and buying them there own fishing rods and reels I love to see them be them self even if its for just a few hours most are like me quite and antisocial or like crowds but when they are on the lake they can let there guard down smoothing who had served combat rolls and had ptsd know it is really hard to do but when your on the water its quite no one around but there friends and family after about 45mins they start to come back to bing them selfs i take a lot of guys seven times a month helping them helps me and watching my kids shoot does the same thing it is I dont smile often if at all but watching them hit a target at some distance they get excited it make me feel good. so if any one at all can tell me the things i can ask the smith to do or what i can do with a little help to make this gun something to be wrecked with . the gun has the speed and is a decent shooting gun for such a light round for a scope i just put on a bushnell with a drop cominsator i think they are called ao or smoothing like that i had it on my 222 but i want to hunt with it I order the cabalas multi turret built grand matched for the 243 I have watch you tube videos and read a lot of great reviews i went to cabalas and they did not have the scope i wanted or even the gun they wanted me to buy the savage 2 with a cheap weaver scope the eye ring kept falling off and i have to pay 75$ for something i did not want so i went to academy they had a lower price even with out my military discount with a 15$ sling nothing super nice i just looked for a rugged on scope base leapold base and wrings 2 boxes horinty 100 grain ballistic tip rounds it cam to 329 or about there with tax ate cabalas they wanted 400-425 the do have the vortex scopes for more money. but again after doing the research i think i got the scope i wanted with just a slight wist of the turret it goes in 25yr incoments up to 700-800 yrs and the you too videos with his gun and the groping at 100 was not the best but even at 300yrs he was still putin them in the kill zone I want to make that group smaller at 300yrs and with all the knolegd on this forum i am sure some of you guys can point me in the right direction and if someone can make a simple list that wont brake the bank for every thing i will need to start reloading 243 shells the would be great i look at the reloading stuff even with the help i have gotten and i am grateful for the help i got so far i am still confuse as to what i need to buy to reload my own stuff dont ned big fancy i want to be able to sit on the floor at the coffee table and do it with the kids

I want to apologize for suck long post i have trouble getting what i am thinking in to words that makes sense to me that is way they are long and the head injury makes them hard to read i do thank you guys for your help on every thing i have asked so far every one as been help full

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6088624 12/17/15 03:38 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Chem, if that Axis is shooting 5/8" with factory ammo I would not, in all honesty, change a thing.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6088627 12/17/15 03:39 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Chem, if that Axis is shooting 5/8" with factory ammo I would not, in all honesty, change a thing.

Amen brother!!!

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6088628 12/17/15 03:39 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

x2

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6088643 12/17/15 03:47 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Could drop a timney trigger into it to get a little easier trigger squeeze, that's what I did with my axis .243, it makes it easier to shoot but it was and still is a sub-moa gun at 100. Haven't pushed it further out yet.

Honestly there isn't much you need to do if you are shooting the gun that well...aren't going to get much more out of it with factory rounds and getting into hand loading ammo might be a bit much right now for ya.

Not trying to be a jerk, but are you sure you need to be shooting with a head injury? A .243 recoil is mild, but repetitive hits could cause more damage and I would hate to see you get worse.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6088651 12/17/15 03:52 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Oh and one other thing, don't loan your guns to people with ptsd or other mental issues, not only is it agains the law, but if that gun is used to harm someone else you could be held liable and lose everything. Be careful man cheers

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: Texas buckeye] #6088834 12/17/15 12:23 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Oh and one other thing, don't loan your guns to people with ptsd or other mental issues, not only is it agains the law, but if that gun is used to harm someone else you could be held liable and lose everything. Be careful man cheers
How is it against the law to loan a gun to someone with PTSD? There are people who have been in car accidents that have PTSD. Why can they not shoot a gun?

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: SapperTitan] #6088990 12/17/15 02:23 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
How is it against the law to loan a gun to someone with PTSD? There are people who have been in car accidents that have PTSD. Why can they not shoot a gun?

Regardless of the law, good judgement suggests one should think very carefully about shooting with or loaning to those with mental considerations or with SSRI prescriptions. While it's perfectly legal, I wouldn't drink a beer in front of an alcoholic, either. When in doubt, exercise restraint and sensible judgement.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: syncerus] #6089055 12/17/15 03:08 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: syncerus

Regardless of the law, good judgement suggests one should think very carefully about shooting with or loaning to those with mental considerations or with SSRI prescriptions. While it's perfectly legal, I wouldn't drink a beer in front of an alcoholic, either. When in doubt, exercise restraint and sensible judgement.
I agree but let's not assume that everyone who suffers from PTSD is going to go on a shooting spree if you loan them a gun. Every person is different along with their symptoms. Apparently Texas Buckeye thinks otherwise but it's in no way against the law.

Last edited by SapperTitan; 12/17/15 03:54 PM.
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089122 12/17/15 03:52 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
Whoa. I haven't seen that many missed periods since my last pregnancy scare. eek

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089267 12/17/15 05:34 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
WOW, I wouldn't change a thing...except grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and maybe a paragraph break here and there! You get a Chris Carter..."C'Mon Man" for that OP!!!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089273 12/17/15 05:38 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I know a lot on how to make a rifle accurate, but I stopped reading after 1-2 sentences.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: The Dude Abides] #6089281 12/17/15 05:42 PM
T
Threelranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
WOW, I wouldn't change a thing...except grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and maybe a paragraph break here and there! You get a Chris Carter..."C'Mon Man" for that OP!!!

Why are you so concerned about the way someone types on a dang forum ? I hate when people do that , it really makes them look like a jack a$$ . This is someone just looking for input not to be put down !

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: Threelranch] #6089311 12/17/15 05:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Threelranch

Why are you so concerned about the way someone types on a dang forum ? I hate when people do that , it really makes them look like a jack a$$ . This is someone just looking for input not to be put down !

C'MON MAN!

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 12/17/15 06:10 PM.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089422 12/17/15 06:57 PM
J
J McCoy Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
argue

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: Threelranch] #6089649 12/17/15 09:27 PM
P
Poke81 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Threelranch

Sorry but he's right, I read through it on the toilet this morning but it was damn hard to read. Its almost as bad as someone who uses all caps.

As far as accuracy if you have a box stock savage axis shooting factory ammo at 5/8" you should not touch it.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089684 12/17/15 09:46 PM
C
cabosandinh Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
writing skills don't come easy for some
It does make it hard/frustrating to read

here's what I would do
1. do barrel break in , 1 shot/wet patch/brush/patch dry for 5, then every 5 til 20
2. float the barrel if not done already
3. install lighter trigger
4. buy premium ammo and try different brands/bullet weights
5. install better stock, preferably one with solid pillar and have proper bedding done

Last edited by cabosandinh; 12/17/15 09:48 PM.
Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089686 12/17/15 09:50 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Before you guys give Chemdawg any more grief about his spelling and grammar, maybe take a look at this other thread and cut him some slack.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6086707/2

Check out page 1, the second to last post.

Chemdawg, I'm glad you survived and are recovering. Thank you for the incredible sacrifices you made defending our country.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: MacDaddy21] #6089715 12/17/15 10:08 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Before you guys give Chemdawg any more grief about his spelling and grammar, maybe take a look at this other thread and cut him some slack.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6086707/2

Check out page 1, the second to last post.

Chemdawg, I'm glad you survived and are recovering. Thank you for the incredible sacrifices you made defending our country.

That explains everything...I apologize for criticizing!

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6089749 12/17/15 10:34 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Hey TXGUNNER308

C'MON MAN! roflmao

Chemdawg, if it's shooting that well I'd just leave it alone and keep playing with your hand loads until you find something that pleases you.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: SapperTitan] #6090256 12/18/15 03:17 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: syncerus

I agree but let's not assume that everyone who suffers from PTSD is going to go on a shooting spree if you loan them a gun. Every person is different along with their symptoms. Apparently Texas Buckeye thinks otherwise but it's in no way against the law.

First of all guys, I don't think everyone with PTSD is going to go on a shooting rampage, never said that and don't assume I did anywhere in my posts. I did give the guy some valid advice, don't loan your rifles to someone who is potentially unstable. We all know (maybe we don't all know this but sapper I would think you know this being the military more than others) that people with PTSD can snap at a stimulus and have unstable moments...if it was found he gave a gun to such a person and said person knew about the issue before hand and something bad happens because of said weapon, that constitutes liability in any jurisdiction.

Also, I apologize for the mistake that it is illegal for people with ptsd to have a gun, but it could be illegal for them to have a conceal carry license or carry a concealed handgun...pursuant to texas code 411.172 based on the diagnosis of a psychiatric disorder.

My bad guys.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6090296 12/18/15 03:36 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I get what you are saying but just don't group everyone with PTSD together. Most people with PTSD have symptoms limited to being on guard all the time, easily startled, uncomfortable in areas with large gatherings, and so on so fourth. Most people with PTSD are not unstable to the point they can't be trusted with guns and most the ones that are were partially screwed up before they got PTSD diagnosis. Im just saying please don't group us all together.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: chemdawg] #6090334 12/18/15 03:56 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sapper, I wasn't trying nor did I group "everyone" with PTSD together Into anything other than mistakenly saying it was illegal for them to have a gun. I know, being a former military physician, that ptsd comes in all flavors and variants,and that is is a pschiatric diagnosis, which is what I mistakenly thought created the illegality of gun ownership. That is also enough for me to know that if someone who I didn't know well but had a history of ptsd wanted to borrow a gun of mine I would courteously decline as some people with ptsd are unstable with certain stimuli, and being that this guy was talking about military stuff I assumed (maybe wrong but probably correctly) that most of the people he was dealing with were former military/current military and the stimulus of shooting could trigger something.

I am not trying to do pick any fights or condemn a group of people or anything like that. Gun ownership comes with great responsibility, and with that also comes the responsibility of knowing when you shouldn't be using your guns anymore. It isn't something discussed much since we are talking about second amendment issues there, but the same way those of us capable of having guns are responsible to "have a well maintained militia", those of us no longer capable of such responsibility whether due to physical, mental, or other issues (chemical, etc) should not. and please don't imply from this last paragraph I mean to say all those with ptsd fall into the latter category. But some might. cheers

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: Texas buckeye] #6090339 12/18/15 04:03 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Sapper, I wasn't trying nor did I group "everyone" with PTSD together Into anything other than mistakenly saying it was illegal for them to have a gun. I know, being a former military physician, that ptsd comes in all flavors and variants,and that is is a pschiatric diagnosis, which is what I mistakenly thought created the illegality of gun ownership. That is also enough for me to know that if someone who I didn't know well but had a history of ptsd wanted to borrow a gun of mine I would courteously decline as some people with ptsd are unstable with certain stimuli, and being that this guy was talking about military stuff I assumed (maybe wrong but probably correctly) that most of the people he was dealing with were former military/current military and the stimulus of shooting could trigger something.

I am not trying to do pick any fights or condemn a group of people or anything like that. Gun ownership comes with great responsibility, and with that also comes the responsibility of knowing when you shouldn't be using your guns anymore. It isn't something discussed much since we are talking about second amendment issues there, but the same way those of us capable of having guns are responsible to "have a well maintained militia", those of us no longer capable of such responsibility whether due to physical, mental, or other issues (chemical, etc) should not. and please don't imply from this last paragraph I mean to say all those with ptsd fall into the latter category. But some might. cheers
Personally I wouldn't let someone stable barrow one of my guns unless they were a very close friend who I completely trust.

Thanks for clarifying.

Re: How to make a gun more accurate [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6090585 12/18/15 01:47 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I doubt you are shooting completion, 5/8 is great as above stated, you could upgrade trigger & do a bedding job, but WHY?

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide