Print Thread
My dog is a beast #6084721 12/15/15 01:40 PM
P
passthru Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
My lab has gotten so big she is breaking other dogs. She leans on them while running and playing. Broke my beagle's hind leg and on my buddies pup two months younger she strained her ACL. My dog is a bully tearing up other pups! frown

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6084853 12/15/15 02:34 PM
G
GimmeABuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
You're gonna have to step in and teach her what is acceptable. Does she know a "quiet/off/easy" command? Sounds like she's just an overly excited pup with no aggression, but phase it out. I'd start by not letting her run with other dogs until she has already burned up some energy on her own playing ball or walking with you. With SUPERVISION I would have her drag a long lead, and when she gets too excited tell her OFF! and real her in, and the moment she is calm give her a treat. Make her stay there until she descalates. I would teach it as a separate command than "come", as you may have to add physical correction to it and I don't like a dog ever thinking "come" = correction, but that's just me. Once she gets the idea of "OFF", as a settling cue, and understands what you want, a leash pop may be in order if she is still getting too rowdy and not obeying. She will put it together herself, if your timing is right, that jumping/pushing down on another dog = play ends, if consistent.

I'm no pro dog trainer but I have managed to teach plenty of dogs (my own and my fosters) to be pretty well behaved. Hope your beagle heals up quick!

Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6084939 12/15/15 03:15 PM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
eeks333 You are setting a precedent in your training of this pup that you are going to regret. At about 8 months old now she should be well underway with formal training. I would not let the pup free play near the amount of time that you are describing. At that age and stage in basics they air together and if they act like that they get an immediate correction and get put up until you can either control them with verbal command or they learn that is not acceptable behavior. Start formalizing obedience and collar conditioning and you should be fine.

Good luck

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6085453 12/15/15 06:55 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Looking for a large female lab. Where did you get her? Thanks

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6085516 12/15/15 07:18 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I don't think passthur likes his dog doing. The medical bills alone would make you want the dog to stop.
The first two replies should help you stop the behavior. I've had a younger lab try to do that to my male vizsla on a dove hunt. The next time he got away from his owner, my male gave him a strong correction. He didn't come back and try it again.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6085564 12/15/15 07:32 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I would kick her hard enough to roll her every time she jumped on another dog and say "NO." It shouldn't t take long for her to decide to stop doing that.

Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6085671 12/15/15 08:21 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My dogs are responding well to ecollar training. A little vibe will calm her down pretty quick.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6085693 12/15/15 08:33 PM
P
passthru Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
I have already removed her from unsupervised time with the other dogs. We also work on OB regular and she actually does pretty well until you add in other dogs. Then it's play time. However that also is an area we are working on as well. Although she is not yet collar conditioned I do have a lead and it is an effective means of control. She just doesn't understand how much bigger she is. Her attitude shows that. I bought her an extra large camo bed. The beagle sleeps in it and the lab curls up in the little beagle bed. It's crazy. Unfortunately lately training has laxed off as my hands recover from the surgery but that's fixin to be a non issue as the right hand can hold a lead and throw a bumper.

As for kicking her hard enough to roll her I'm fairly certain of two things. One, I would be injured in that attempt and two, not the way I handle OB issues. Not saying a smack or pop doesn't get their attention. But that is a little more than I would normally go.

Bite someone and all bets are off. Especially if it is me that gets bitten.

She's a good pup. However if I had known I was going to have to start this business I wouldn't have gotten her. Now though I owe it to her to spend the time and money to get as much as I can out of her.

NRA Life Member
Re: My dog is a beast [Re: passthru] #6085723 12/15/15 08:45 PM
P
passthru Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
And I need to get a trainer lined up for after duck season anyhow.

NRA Life Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide