Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,743
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6091232 12/18/15 09:04 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Why is it so many care about what Yanks think

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6091266 12/18/15 09:33 PM
D
ddmm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I hunt on LF land but am always interested in how the HF managed their deer. Most paid a good price to put the fence up, get the MLD permits and work to keep the deer numbers in check. If you pay attention to these guys and see how many does they need\have to take off each year, it's amazing. This is what needs to be learned from them. More LF places need to take off greater number of does. I see to many folks at the locker plant bringing in 1.5 - 3.5 yo bucks. Some say they only get to hunt once or twice a year and that was the first buck they saw...then others are quick to throw out it's a 'management buck'. Well if it's a management buck, it's a small or screwed up rack, then why are you taking the rack to get it mounted???
I know there are some that just want to shot a buck and really don't worry\care about growing big antlers. But those that want the big racks but continue to shot the young ones and don't take a good ratio of does, are the ones that I don't understand...

I'd take a free hunt on a HF place anytime...

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: MarkE] #6091297 12/18/15 09:57 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: MarkE
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Not all, but certainly a lot of folks from the Midwest look down on us dumb Texans for A. hunting over feeders and B. putting up high fence enclosures.

As far as "B" is concerned, at the end of the day no matter how difficult you want to make it or no matter how well the deer in the fence have humans patterned, it is still shooting a captive animal. If folks like doing that and consider that "trophy" hunting, have at it, but know that some folks see it for what it is.....

I see a self-righteous...

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6091455 12/19/15 12:28 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Had the honor of hunting on a amazing 1900 acre high fence ranch down near Laredo this weekend. Being that it was high fenced and there were handfuls of MLD tags needing to be used on culls and does, I came prepared with lots of bullets and coolers. After all, it's high fenced and that's shooting fish in a barrel isn't it? Our guide showed us pictures of several old culls that were on the kill list, some of which would be my largest buck ever. Well what I didn't expect was with the rain they have received this year the amount of brush and how dense it would be. I saw deer every sit but no bucks that were on the cull list and unfortunately all the doe I saw had ear tags and were off limits. After talking with the manager of the ranch I found out that most of the bucks on the cull list had only been seen on cameras and never in person. Did manage to take two hogs and a javalina. My hunting partner had a little more luck and managed three does and funky looking cull buck. Had a great time and was just amazed at the amount of cover the land has down there. So everyone that thinks that tall fence makes the hunting easier I would suggest trying it for yourself before you judge. It can be every bit if not harder of a hunt on the right ranch. That was my first HF hunt and hope to do again next year.

Finally someone understands!!

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6091754 12/19/15 05:34 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If you hunt anywhere in S. Tex there is a high fence somewhere... You might be on 1,000 or 20,000 but there is probably a fence surrounding you somewhere on a neighboring property. Why manage a place only to have a neighbor shoot anything they want? I hunt a relatively cheap lease in N. Tex to shoot what I want. You need large acreage or a co-op to truly manage up here. S. Tex is about managing a herd to its full potential since genetics, land size, and browse is near perfect to grow big bucks. We shot a 180 lb dressed buck on low fence last week down there. It bottomed out the 225 scale live weight. No protein or feed. Numerous 150 inch bucks seen b/c they don't shoot young deer and shoot all spikes and older doe. That being said several hunts some of us only saw one deer the whole 3 hour hunt. Other hunts you might see 10 to 15.

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093196 12/20/15 04:05 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've hunted deer from Colorado to New York. I hunt feeders here at home, spot and stalked mule deer in Colorado, hunt corn and soybean fields and wood lots it Missouri and have hunted corn and soybean field edges, wood lots and swamps in New York. They hardest, most fruitless hunting I've had was in New York. If you have big groups you can do deer drives and get running shots at them. But hiking through knee deep snow on mile long drives through swamps and wood lots about killed me. In Missouri (where I own land) the EHD epidemic is so bad our deer heard is decimated and you sit and see nothing most days. Here people have what is arguably the greatest whitetail and exotic hunting in the nation. But we do nothing but attack each other about hunting over feeders, hunting high fence, paying high lease fees, management practices and meat hunting. I've hunted high fence, low fence and no fence areas across Texas. I've had a couple great deer leases and some bad deer-less leases. I've hunted the Type II land (back when they called it that) in east Texas and killed a buck the every year I hunted it. No monsters but I had meat in the freezer. I've had leases in the hill country, like the one I'm on now where it's low fence, that the deer aren't spooky and some will come to the feeder while you are standing there filling it.

I personally enjoy seeing game when I hunt. Personally I don't give a rats back end what another person thinks of that. I do however believe that the end of our way of life will be as much the fault of those within it as it those who oppose all of us.

We are spoiled and we are acting like it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: passthru] #6093254 12/20/15 04:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
I've hunted deer from Colorado to New York. I hunt feeders here at home, spot and stalked mule deer in Colorado, hunt corn and soybean fields and wood lots it Missouri and have hunted corn and soybean field edges, wood lots and swamps in New York. They hardest, most fruitless hunting I've had was in New York. If you have big groups you can do deer drives and get running shots at them. But hiking through knee deep snow on mile long drives through swamps and wood lots about killed me. In Missouri (where I own land) the EHD epidemic is so bad our deer heard is decimated and you sit and see nothing most days. Here people have what is arguably the greatest whitetail and exotic hunting in the nation. But we do nothing but attack each other about hunting over feeders, hunting high fence, paying high lease fees, management practices and meat hunting. I've hunted high fence, low fence and no fence areas across Texas. I've had a couple great deer leases and some bad deer-less leases. I've hunted the Type II land (back when they called it that) in east Texas and killed a buck the every year I hunted it. No monsters but I had meat in the freezer. I've had leases in the hill country, like the one I'm on now where it's low fence, that the deer aren't spooky and some will come to the feeder while you are standing there filling it.

I personally enjoy seeing game when I hunt. Personally I don't give a rats back end what another person thinks of that. I do however believe that the end of our way of life will be as much the fault of those within it as it those who oppose all of us.

Excellent post

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: txtrophy85] #6093261 12/20/15 04:56 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: passthru

Excellent post

X2

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: TonyinVA] #6093347 12/20/15 06:10 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
X3

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093371 12/20/15 06:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That is an excellent post. Very well written. I have a different view however.

IMO the HFs do and will continue to threaten our right to hunt. Non-hunters don't much like the idea of shooting captive animals. It's that simple. One good documentary on the typical HF "pay a big fee and get a big buck" hunt would do a helluva lot of damage to our way of life.

Hunters debating ethics is not a threat to hunting in any way, shape, or form. Outsiders expect responsible folks to discuss the ethics of their pursuits. And no hunter is going to stop hunting because of differences of opinions about hunting.

So all the "shut up or you're going to ruin everything" talk makes no sense to me when it comes to this subject. It might impact HF but not hunting as a whole.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 12/20/15 06:51 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6093379 12/20/15 06:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

IMO the HFs do and will continue to threaten our right to hunt. Non-hunters don't much like the idea of shooting captive animals. It's that simple. One good documentary on the typical HF "pay a big fee and get a big buck" hunt would do a helluva lot of damage to our way of life.

Hunters debating ethics is not a threat to hunting in any way, shape, or form. Outsiders expect responsible folks to discuss the ethics of their pursuits. And no hunter is going to stop hunting because of differences of opinions about hunting.

Same could be said for one on LF doing the same then correct?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: stxranchman] #6093386 12/20/15 06:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

No. Don't mean to yell, but there is one big difference: LOW FENCE ANIMALS ARE NOT CAPTIVE.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093413 12/20/15 07:29 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
SMH

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6093546 12/20/15 09:27 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

No. Don't mean to yell, but there is one big dif
ference: LOW FENCE ANIMALS ARE NOT CAPTIVE.

I hate to break it to you but captive or not the anti are against it.
I don't think it's any different than the anti gun nuts.
You may not like what someone else is doing. And what you are doing may be low on the trim down list of the anti groups. But by the time they get to you there will be few left to help you because you threw them under the bus.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093555 12/20/15 09:42 PM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
^agree

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093558 12/20/15 09:44 PM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Nothing wrong with hunting an HF place. If I had enough property to keep it sporting, I'd probably HF it anyway. Helps keep predators at bay- especially the 2 legged kind.

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6093584 12/20/15 10:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

No. Don't mean to yell, but there is one big difference: LOW FENCE ANIMALS ARE NOT CAPTIVE.

Well then I guess they must be much harder to hunt then....correct http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3703520/1
Then by your standards if it is harder to hunt you can have menu pricing and need a calculator to hunt as long as the animal is behind a LF? I wonder if those animals that can not jump a LF know that they are not captive......

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6093699 12/20/15 11:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

So by being as you so phrased it "Captive" that means it is not fair to the animal to be hunted?

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093807 12/21/15 12:53 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I mean what the word means.

Dictionary definition:

"captive" adj.

"Kept under restraint or control; confined."

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6093847 12/21/15 01:11 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Dictionary definition:

"captive" adj.

So is it not putting a Deer under control by giving and addicting it to a free meal by either corn or protein? Be that a HF or LF.

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093870 12/21/15 01:23 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Don I'm not going round and round the mulberry bush again.

HF deer are captive. LF deer are not.

It really is that simple. I know many want to re-define words, change the subject, point at shiny objects, etc., etc. to distract from that simple concept. Believe me, non-hunters know what captive means. And what the HFs are for.

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6093881 12/21/15 01:28 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Dictionary definition:

"captive" adj.

So this would include animals that live on an island also by your definition? I guess you are against hunting animals on an island also?

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093947 12/21/15 02:14 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Deer are captive by topography as well

Sheep are restricted to mountain ranges for instance.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6093952 12/21/15 02:19 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I hunt HF and LF both, and it doesn't take a deer on either place long to outdistance my old fat arse...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: First impression from behind the HF. [Re: ChrisB] #6094077 12/21/15 03:27 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Captive... That actually made me laugh

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide