Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: Longhunter] #6085268 12/15/15 05:55 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Longhunter
Dang, sounds like ya'll wound a lotta deer...

Read his post "Shot at my first buck tonight" I read that as "this was the first buck he ever shot at." What prompted you to post your comment that states "sounds like ya'll wound a lotta deer."

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: redchevy] #6085282 12/15/15 06:00 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: jmh004
So your fine with pushing a deer thats not ready and possible not ever finding it?

If its not mortaly wounded your still gonna push it in the morning. If it is hit give it an hour or two maybe 3, but no im not going to let it sit till morning until I have let it sit for a few hours and looked and cant find it. Im not suggesting you jump out of the stand and chase it, but you can certainly go looking before daylight. I don't mind tracking at night. If I ran out of blood at night I would stop till morning, but if you never go look at the trail you will never know till morning.

It irks me to see shows etc. and hear stories about people who let them sit over night only to find the deer within sight of the point of impact the next morning. It wouldn't have hurt to wait 2 hours and go back with a flashlight and check for blood.

Very easily could have hurt. If the deer was bumped that night, he wouldn't have been within sight of the point of impact. I have seen hunters bump deer when they go down to get their arrow. If they hadn't went to check the arrow, the deer would have been in that spot when they got back later to track it.

I am not saying that you let every deer sit over night and most the time, I give them 2-3 hours and then go look. If it is a marginal hit or I don't feel comfortable when I start tracking, I have no problem backing out until morning.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: TonyinVA] #6085283 12/15/15 06:01 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA

Read his post "Shot at my first buck tonight" I read that as "this was the first buck he ever shot at." What prompted you to post your comment that states "sounds like ya'll wound a lotta deer."

My guess is that he is talking about those of us respoinding, not necessarily the OP.

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: txshntr] #6085309 12/15/15 06:10 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I have seen hunters bump deer when they go down to get their arrow. If they hadn't went to check the arrow, the deer would have been in that spot when they got back later to track it.

So it sounds like when bow hunting unless you see it die you should never go look until the next morning for risk of jumping the deer?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085310 12/15/15 06:10 PM
P
PoppaG22 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Ok so here's the latest... Went out at 730 this morning. I had a perfect picture of where the deer walked back into the treeline about 40 or 50 yards from the blind. I went to that exact spot and couldn't find any blood. Searched for three hours and not a drip. I'm almost positive I hit a shoulder blade but I just don't know what to do at this point. This is my first deer and I've hunted over 20 times this season and passed on every deer I've seen cause I knew this big 10 was out there. I checked creek beds, walked the trail where he came in and left and I just can't find a thing. Neither could my buddies. Is it worth paying one of these guys with tracking dogs? What's the likelihood of success if there's no blood within 50 yards of where I shot it?

I love lamp
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: txshntr] #6085311 12/15/15 06:10 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA

My guess is that he is talking about those of us respoinding, not necessarily the OP.

My take on it as well. Longhunter may not have ever drew on a deer with a bow? Wounding always comes 1st...

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085321 12/15/15 06:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I think most of them would probably not come if you have no blood.

Good luck keep looking and hope you find something. Watch for buzzards and start and expanding search from the last point you saw him in the direction he went.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: redchevy] #6085329 12/15/15 06:15 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I have seen hunters bump deer when they go down to get their arrow. If they hadn't went to check the arrow, the deer would have been in that spot when they got back later to track it.

So it sounds like when bow hunting unless you see it die you should never go look until the next morning for risk of jumping the deer?

Did you read all of the post before posting this, or just pick this out so you could argue with it?

What I am saying there is that no, you shouldn't shoot a deer and go look for the arrow and blood trail. You should wait 30min or so, back out and come back at a later time to look at your arrow and find the blood trail. The time that you allow should depend on your previous experiences and where you believe you hit the animal.

Did you read the post where I shot my BB? I was confident the animal was dead, still gave it over an hour and bumped it from where it laid down. Luckily, I was still able to recover the animal. I posted a picture of where he was hit. Any bowhunter would have thought the same. Sometimes, when they bed up, the blood will coagulate and you lose the trail. Tracking a bumped animal can be very difficult. I just don't think you should push a questionable animal if the animal will more than likely be recoverable in the morning.

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085341 12/15/15 06:20 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: samtx
Ok so here's the latest... Went out at 730 this morning. I had a perfect picture of where the deer walked back into the treeline about 40 or 50 yards from the blind. I went to that exact spot and couldn't find any blood. Searched for three hours and not a drip. I'm almost positive I hit a shoulder blade but I just don't know what to do at this point. This is my first deer and I've hunted over 20 times this season and passed on every deer I've seen cause I knew this big 10 was out there. I checked creek beds, walked the trail where he came in and left and I just can't find a thing. Neither could my buddies. Is it worth paying one of these guys with tracking dogs? What's the likelihood of success if there's no blood within 50 yards of where I shot it?

Very difficult without blood for the dogs to tell which scent trail to follow. Some trackers believe their dogs can tell the difference between a wounded animal and a scared animal and can pick up the correct trail, but I am not sure they could the next day.

High Shoulder shots can take awhile for the blood to drop enough to find on the ground. Once it does, you can typically find drops at each step. The terrain and vegetation makes a big difference on finding blood also.

When we hit the end of the a blood trail or the last known spot of an animal, we first pick the trails and direction the animal was heading, and start the search that direction. If that doesn't work, we will set up a grid system and spread out to work each sector of the grid.

Good luck

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: txshntr] #6085356 12/15/15 06:25 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Did you read all of the post before posting this, or just pick this out so you could argue with it?

What I am saying there is that no, you shouldn't shoot a deer and go look for the arrow and blood trail. You should wait 30min or so, back out and come back at a later time to look at your arrow and find the blood trail. The time that you allow should depend on your previous experiences and where you believe you hit the animal.

Did you read the post where I shot my BB? I was confident the animal was dead, still gave it over an hour and bumped it from where it laid down. Luckily, I was still able to recover the animal. I posted a picture of where he was hit. Any bowhunter would have thought the same. Sometimes, when they bed up, the blood will coagulate and you lose the trail. Tracking a bumped animal can be very difficult. I just don't think you should push a questionable animal if the animal will more than likely be recoverable in the morning.

I kinda felt like asking you the same thing about my post and you just wanting to argue. What I said all along was to wait a while then go back look at the site of the shot/arrow/blood and proceed from there. No blood then wait good blood then go.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085405 12/15/15 06:38 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
txshntr wanting to just argue rofl hammer

Yep, but he makes a good point...sometimes. cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085407 12/15/15 06:39 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

The deer walked off after your shot?

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: redchevy] #6085418 12/15/15 06:42 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

I kinda felt like asking you the same thing about my post and you just wanting to argue. What I said all along was to wait a while then go back look at the site of the shot/arrow/blood and proceed from there. No blood then wait good blood then go.

peep I like a good discussion sometimes grin

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: txshntr] #6085424 12/15/15 06:45 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Very difficult without blood for the dogs to tell which scent trail to follow. Some trackers believe their dogs can tell the difference between a wounded animal and a scared animal and can pick up the correct trail, but I am not sure they could the next day.

High Shoulder shots can take awhile for the blood to drop enough to find on the ground. Once it does, you can typically find drops at each step. The terrain and vegetation makes a big difference on finding blood also.

When we hit the end of the a blood trail or the last known spot of an animal, we first pick the trails and direction the animal was heading, and start the search that direction. If that doesn't work, we will set up a grid system and spread out to work each sector of the grid.

Good luck

Great advice from TREX, just to add,make sure you look for blood on elevate brush too, high shot may only leave "high sign", until the deer stops to rest.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085425 12/15/15 06:45 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
You guys watch too many hunting shows; wait for a perfect broadside shot, wait till his head is up, wait till he moves his front leg forward and of course, give him until morning. Shoot deer, find deer. It's really that simple if you hit vitals and if you didn't, once again, you can give him a week and it won't matter. In this instance with what your describing, it doesn't sound like you hit vitals or perhaps even seriously wounded him. Save your money on the tracking dog would be my advice at this point and move on to your next opportunity. Good luck.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085432 12/15/15 06:48 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
was the arrow still sticking in him when he walked off, or had it fallen out by that time?

My gut tells me this was a superficial shoulder blade hit, if anything, and he is still out there alive and kicking today.

Find the arrow and see if there is any blood on it.

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: tShawnB] #6085439 12/15/15 06:51 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
You guys watch too many hunting shows; wait for a perfect broadside shot, wait till his head is up, wait till he moves his front leg forward and of course, give him until morning. Shoot deer, find deer. It's really that simple if you hit vitals and if you didn't, once again, you can give him a week and it won't matter. In this instance with what your describing, it doesn't sound like you hit vitals or perhaps even seriously wounded him. Save your money on the tracking dog would be my advice at this point and move on to your next opportunity. Good luck.

Wish it was that simple my friend. Seen too many lost and found too many by doing it different than just shoot deer, find deer. Glad it always works out for you that way though cheers

And I don't watch many hunting shows up

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085469 12/15/15 07:01 PM
P
PoppaG22 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
well all the trackers have said the same thing. Probably hit a shoulder blade and he's still alive. They said give it about a week or two and he could be back on camera. Thats what I'm hoping for at this point.

And I saw the arrow stuck in him the whole time. He ran a solid 30 yards then stopped and looked around and started walking off. I couldn't find an arrow this morning.

I love lamp
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085473 12/15/15 07:03 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Good luck seeing him again and getting him next time.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085481 12/15/15 07:06 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
When looking do you look in a ever widening circle?

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085486 12/15/15 07:08 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I've seen gut shot deer walk off with an arched back.. But I forget, was this a bow or rifle?

Weekend before last my fiancé shot a buck trying for the high shoulder at about 150 yards. I could've sworn it was a good shot, buck jumped about 10 feet, kicked and ran off into the brush. At the site of the shot we found blood, hair with skin attached, and a bone chip the size of a dime. I was sure he was piled up inside 30 yards, but we looked all over that place and never found him. Went to check cameras last Sunday, same buck was back at the feeder that morning. You can see where she hit, about 3" too high and to the right of a perfect shot. Looks like bullet exited the neck on the opposite side too. In any case, we were relieved he's still around and either she gets a second chance or he lives another year. I'll post pics later.

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085500 12/15/15 07:13 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
well all the trackers have said the same thing. Probably hit a shoulder blade and he's still alive. They said give it about a week or two and he could be back on camera. Thats what I'm hoping for at this point.

And I saw the arrow stuck in him the whole time. He ran a solid 30 yards then stopped and looked around and started walking off. I couldn't find an arrow this morning.

I had the same thing happen in the early 2000's on a buck in mid October. My shot went high in the shoulder at 20 yards and seen the buck run off about 40 yards. He stopped, snorted and frog hopped off with arrow still in him. I waited 30 minutes then went to look at the spot he was standing at for the shot and after he ran 40 yards. I found a few drops of blood at both places and then found the arrow(less 4" or so and the broadhead). I waited an hour then searched for him for a long time. It was tough to call it quits but I had to with no sign to follow. The buck showed back up at the same feeder 6 weeks later, only much skinnier but eating corn and protein from the feeders. I let him pass that year. I killed him the next year and could find no sign of being hit or the broadhead in him. He went from a 9 point to a 10 point. Put up some TC on trails, water or feeders to see what you can find. Don't beat yourself up over it to bad. Learn from what happened and try to not let it happen again is all you can do. cheers

Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085687 12/15/15 08:29 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T

That sure sounds like you hit him in the shoulder and the shot was not lethal. Hopefully he will show back up on camera.

Last edited by TonyinVA; 12/15/15 08:30 PM.
Re: No Sleep Tonight [Re: PoppaG22] #6085893 12/15/15 10:25 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Did the same thing when I about 22. Shot at about 30 yards, [censored] was a little high. Sounded like a gun going off when it hit. Buck ran about 40 yards then stopped. Looked around and walked off. I waited about 2 hours. Went to where he was standing and found blood. Not much. It started pouring rain,head to wait till morning. Did grid search almost all day. I was sick! Till about dusk I walked back out woods toward feeder he was shot at. He was eating at the feeder! It just nailed his shoulder blade. My uncle got him later that year in rifle season. Amazing 8 point. It was bigger than the 8 I killed with my rifle the year before. And he wasn't a slouch at all.

That is my rifle 8.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide