6244640 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6083867 - 12/14/15 05:09 PM Missed opportunity Need opinions
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hunt in Juno, TX
Spotted a few aoudad Sunday morning. One big ram in the bunch. I didn't try to guess inches, but he was a big mature ram, and we have a lot of trophy-class 30+ inch aoudad on our place. I've seen some, got pictures of tons of them, but haven't been able to kill one yet. I was in the bottom of a canyon, They were about 3/4 of the way up the side of a hill, I guessed about 500 yards away.

I decided to shoot. Last opportunity I had I tried to get closer and spooked them onto the neighbors. I was shooting a Howa model 1500 .270, 130 grain Hornadys with a Swarovski 4-12x50 scope. I am very accurate with this rifle at 100 yards. I've shot it to 200 and I'm pretty dang good out there as well, as long as I have a good rest. I've never tried to shoot at anything further than 200 yards out. I've studied some ballistics charts before on bullet drop, so I thought I could make a pretty good guess on the drop. Laid down on the roof of my ranger, used a backpack as a rest.

This picture sums up the scenario I was looking at. We later ranged it at 450 +/- yards. I placed the crosshairs pretty far back to account for the wind. I have no idea how to account for windage. This was a complete guess. I shot once, and thought I saw one of them running off, holding a leg up. They were far away, darting through cedars and I couldn't tell for sure though. I didn't find any blood. I know I was looking in the right place, it rained the night before, and I could see some of the tracks they made when they were gettin' gone.

I looked at a ballistics chart today. I'm guessing the bullet probably dropped about 30 inches. I still have no idea how to account for wind, or the fact he was about 175 feet higher in elevation than I was.

What would ya'll have done? What should I have done differently? I'm still trying to decide if I should have taken the shot, or tried to stalk in closer. I would feel very comfortable at 250 yards. I felt good with the shot I took, but I'm guessing I put the crosshairs in the wrong place. I know I need to practice these long shots if I'm going to try to kill an animal at that distance, but I just haven't done it yet.

I'm not happy at all about it right now. I will be investing a long range rifle, probably a 7 mm mag, I'm open to suggestions on caliber for hunting these critters in canyon country. I'd like to hear yall's opinions on what you would have done in this scenario.

#6083887 - 12/14/15 05:18 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

I can't help with the shooting but that is a damn fine sketch of the sheep

#6083892 - 12/14/15 05:20 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

In all honesty 450 yards is a long way.

If your not used to shooting thst far it's tough

Practice more at distance

#6083912 - 12/14/15 05:33 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Doesn't a .270 have nearly 35" of drop at 450 yards?

If you held as high as the illustration, I'd say you hit the ground. On a flat shot, I would have held 1.5 - 2 'body heighths' above my desired point of impact - in a dead calm wind.

Like you, I'd be lost on the wind drift.

#6083932 - 12/14/15 05:46 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
titan2232 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
That's quite a shot if you've never practiced it before and a low percentage one without the proper equipment. Just too much guess work in bullet drop IMO.

#6083997 - 12/14/15 06:13 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Never tried to shoot beyond 200 before, never practiced at distance, guessing about yardage, guessing about drop, wind blowing and you "have no idea" how to account for windage.

You should never have taken that shot. A fine animal probably paid the ultimate price for your having done so.

#6084000 - 12/14/15 06:17 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
Texas buckeye Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Keller
and probably not enough hold over for the wind conditions...20-30 with gusts, shooting out of a canyon is tough tough. For that kind of wind, you are looking at a pretty good hold over, not the one you showed here (my opinion only, others may have more to say about that).

My guess is you probably didn't hit him, chnaces are you hit ground and some dirt or something ricochet'd onto one (maybe) to cause it to lift a leg, but with no blood to go by you have to assume a no hit on these kind of conditions.

#6084014 - 12/14/15 06:28 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
txvarminter Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene, Texas
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

You should never have taken that shot. A fine animal probably paid the ultimate price for your having done so.

YEP

www.circle66.com
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
My opinion is go with the fatties!

#6084081 - 12/14/15 07:00 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Should've held approx 18 inches for wind, 39 inches for elevation because you are shooting uphill your 450 yards needs to be held over for approx 405 yards. That's based on my 270 shooting Hornady 130SST

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6084233 - 12/14/15 08:11 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
flintknapper Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Deep East Texas
You don't say how your rifle is sighted in (100 yds. 200 yds. other), so we can't really provide you the correct hold-over (compensated for the angle). If you can give us your scope height (center of objective lens to center of bore) it would help.

As for wind drift...there could be so many things at play. You stated the wind 'gusts' were 20-30 mph. That is quite a 'spread' and would make 'doping the wind' very difficult. If we knew the 'average' wind speed we could come much closer to making an estimate for your 'lead'.

Wind 'gusts' depending upon the terrain (canyons) might only be influencing the bullet over a short portion/time of it's flight. From the diagram you drew... it looks like the wind would have been greater than 75% but not 'full value'.

Based on what you've told us...your compensation for wind drift could have been anything from 15" to 30".

Assuming a solid rest and a good trigger break....my guess would be you shot under the animal (for trajectory) and somewhere between midsection.. up to the front of the chest, for drift. Could easily have 'splashed' the front legs.

Too far to shoot IMO, lacking prior experience. Hope you get another chance at a latter date.

Remember...Aoudad are tough, so place that shot carefully and be ready for a follow up if needed.

Good luck to you.

Flint.

#6084345 - 12/14/15 09:07 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: txtrophy85]
majekman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tha Rock, Tex"
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I can't help with the shooting but that is a damn fine sketch of the sheep

roflmao

#6084348 - 12/14/15 09:10 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: txvarminter]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

YEP

Kind what I was thinking reading through the OP.

#6084357 - 12/14/15 09:15 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I would have practiced shooting at that type of range and wind conditions a lot before attempting a shot like that.

#6084366 - 12/14/15 09:18 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
If your sketch was to scale should have aimed close to where the 4 is

#6084379 - 12/14/15 09:24 PM Re: Missed opportunity Need opinions [Re: JHeflinland]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
Depending on the wind gust you probably had 3 ft bullet drift at 450 if the wind was parrallel. A 450 shot is long in any condition, but the wind makes it a expert shot when it is blowing that hard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide