Page 1 of 2 1 2
Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? #6081797 12/13/15 10:54 PM
D
DaveTexas Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
I'm sure this has been discussed before (if you want to attach a link would be appreciated)

For those of you who allow guest to hunt your property, do you have them sign a release not holding you liable for accidents?

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6081801 12/13/15 10:56 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
yes - i can send you a copy of ours in the morning if you want - just PM me

You can't fix stupid
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6082508 12/14/15 05:21 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have never signed anything for my lease ever. When I go to friends places I have never signed anything as well. What good does it do? If you have a dangerous place no liability waiver will protect you.

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: Txduckman] #6082586 12/14/15 11:50 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I have never signed anything for my lease ever. When I go to friends places I have never signed anything as well. What good does it do? If you have a dangerous place no liability waiver will protect you.

You can have the "safest" place anywhere and accidents can and will happen. And yes a waiver can protect not only the landowner but also each hunter. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime for anything but if it happens a signed waiver of liability sure is not going to hurt you in court. That is why businesses have people sign liability waivers all of the time

You can't fix stupid
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: tlk] #6082589 12/14/15 11:56 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: Txduckman

You can have the "safest" place anywhere and accidents can and will happen. And yes a waiver can protect not only the landowner but also each hunter. Anyone can sue anyone at anytime for anything but if it happens a signed waiver of liability sure is not going to hurt you in court. That is why businesses have people sign liability waivers all of the time

Texas: "If a signed waiver meets all legal requirements then that person is likely prohibited from bringing a civil action if the activity that caused harm is included in the waiver"

You can't fix stupid
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6082827 12/14/15 02:32 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I went with a friend to a very nice lease. One of those places where each hunter has there own small cabin with bathroom and a main mess hall, the feeders are always full and each stand has a heater. When I arrived with my friend, I was greeted by the owner and we had an awesome steak dinner. Then he talked about where I was going to hunt and what I was allowed to kill. Then he had me sign a waiver for insurance in case I got hurt, and a waiver in case I killed something I wasn't supposed to. In that case I would have to pay the yearly lease fee of $4,500. That was enough to keep me shooting slick heads and not even look at bucks. I didn't care, as I went there to kill a few does for meat. Owner was a great guy and wanted to protect his other hunters, which I can appreciate

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6082926 12/14/15 03:04 PM
T
txvarminter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Our insurance requires us to have a signed waiver. They wouldn't require it if it wasn't necessary

www.circle66.com
Originally Posted By: Ramball36
My opinion is go with the fatties!
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083094 12/14/15 04:32 PM
S
Stickchunker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Yes Sir, we are required to sign one, as well as any guest we bring to the lease. My last lease was the same way!

In these times , 'I'll keep my God , my freedom , my gun and my money. Anyone that supports this insanity can keep "THE CHANGE".
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083108 12/14/15 04:40 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
No only trustful folks allowed

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083114 12/14/15 04:41 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
If its for a business you beta be getting that signature

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083141 12/14/15 05:02 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
As most lawyers will tell you, the signature is not to protect you from the person who is hunting on your lease, but for his relatives who want to sue you. Get it signed.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: Navasot] #6083496 12/14/15 07:44 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Can't trust a grieving family like you can trust the person you allowed on your land. Too much liability to not sign one since people want to sue for anything now a days.

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083545 12/14/15 08:10 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
1. Landowners have very minimal exposure even without a waiver. See the Texas Recreational Use Statute. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CP/htm/CP.75.htm

Importantly, hunting has one of the lowest rates of injury of any sporting activity, lower than even bowling and golf. http://www.nssf.org/newsroom/releases/show.cfm?PR=120511.cfm&path=2011

2. Most waivers I've seen are so poorly done that they are close to meaningless and miss some of the major issues. While landowners have minimal exposure, lessees that act as a "lease manager" may face some risks discussed below, as they may or may not have the benefit of the Recreational Use Statute depending on the issue. The statute provides immunity against natural conditions of the land, not man-made structures and equipment. If you are really worried about some major liability exposure, then this is not a do it yourself project from google on the internet. Like most things in law, it is far less expensive to involve a lawyer on the front end before a problem arises. Lawyers that specialize in defending personal injury cases, typically hired by insurance companies, are the ones to seek for advice. Real estate lawyers are a second choice, but often not up to speed on tort liability or the waivers needed for something such as a hunting lease.

3. Irrespective of liability, landowners and those on leases should try to make reasonable efforts to inform guests about hazards that are not "open and obvious."
Examples would be of areas known to be subject to cave ins, areas where toxic chemicals have been dumped, typically from oil and gas operations, and most importantly, poor quality blinds and stands, see next item.

4. By far the most dangerous thing likely to be encountered on a hunting lease is an ATV/UTV and stands/blines. ATV's are incredibly dangerous, regularly producing permanent paralyzing injuries, and yet kids are routinely given keys and turned loose. In 2013, ATV's caused almost 100,000 injuries requiring trips to the hospital, 25% i.e. over 25,000 per year, of which involved children. See page 2: http://www.cpsc.gov/Global/Research-and-...s--Injuries.pdf

Second place for dangerous are falls from stands. Falls are the major common injury related to hunting activity. http://surgery.osu.edu/trauma_burn/article.cfm?ID=6093

For tree stands, use safety harnesses. For constructed blinds and stands, make sure they are easy to climb and access safely. Consider how easily and safely the young and older hunters will be able to access them, while carrying gear in and out in the dark, with wet steps. This really is THE risk factor

5. Last, everyone reading this thread is far more likely to be seriously injured while driving to and from hunting than while hunting - the risk is orders of magnitude in difference. It is always amazing that people worry about things like this while eating a cheeseburger and fries and talking on cell phones while driving. If you want to do something to protect yourself, do not talk on a cell phone while driving. 1 in 4 car wrecks are now estimated to be caused by talking on a cell phone while driving. Hang up and pay attention.

From the National Safety Council.

Hands-free is Not Risk-free

With some state laws focusing on handheld bans and carmakers putting hands-free technology in vehicles, it’s no wonder people are confused. However, while many drivers honestly believe they are making the safe choice by using a hands-free device, it’s just not true. Your brain remains distracted by the conversation. Learn more about distracted driving.

http://www.nsc.org/learn/NSC-Initiatives/Pages/distracted-driving.aspx?var=mnd

Last, if you are on a hunting lease, make sure to include that information on your annual homeowner's insurance policy renewal questionnaire. If something did happen, and a claim is made against you, the homeowner's insurance very well may provide coverage for you.

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083654 12/14/15 09:02 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Very informative answer.

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083663 12/14/15 09:08 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
We camped for a few days one summer at a friend's FIL's place. Did it again the next year and the moment we showed up they handed forms to everyone and said sign it or leave. The rudeness of it made it seem a lot worse than it really was; being in business and understanding the world these days I forgave them pretty quickly. Nobody is going to look out for you if you don't look out for yourself.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: krmitchell] #6083693 12/14/15 09:25 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Can't trust a grieving family like you can trust the person you allowed on your land. Too much liability to not sign one since people want to sue for anything now a days.

With the people I let hunt I trust their family just as much as them. Im not running a business though that changes a lot

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: jeffbird] #6083716 12/14/15 09:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
1. Landowners have very minimal exposure even without a waiver. See the Texas Recreational Use Statute. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CP/htm/CP.75.htm

Importantly, hunting has one of the lowest rates of injury of any sporting activity, lower than even bowling and golf. http://www.nssf.org/newsroom/releases/show.cfm?PR=120511.cfm&path=2011

2. Most waivers I've seen are so poorly done that they are close to meaningless and miss some of the major issues. While landowners have minimal exposure, lessees that act as a "lease manager" may face some risks discussed below, as they may or may not have the benefit of the Recreational Use Statute depending on the issue. The statute provides immunity against natural conditions of the land, not man-made structures and equipment. If you are really worried about some major liability exposure, then this is not a do it yourself project from google on the internet. Like most things in law, it is far less expensive to involve a lawyer on the front end before a problem arises. Lawyers that specialize in defending personal injury cases, typically hired by insurance companies, are the ones to seek for advice. Real estate lawyers are a second choice, but often not up to speed on tort liability or the waivers needed for something such as a hunting lease.

3. Irrespective of liability, landowners and those on leases should try to make reasonable efforts to inform guests about hazards that are not "open and obvious."
Examples would be of areas known to be subject to cave ins, areas where toxic chemicals have been dumped, typically from oil and gas operations, and most importantly, poor quality blinds and stands, see next item.

4. By far the most dangerous thing likely to be encountered on a hunting lease is an ATV/UTV and stands/blines. ATV's are incredibly dangerous, regularly producing permanent paralyzing injuries, and yet kids are routinely given keys and turned loose. In 2013, ATV's caused almost 100,000 injuries requiring trips to the hospital, 25% i.e. over 25,000 per year, of which involved children. See page 2: http://www.cpsc.gov/Global/Research-and-...s--Injuries.pdf

Second place for dangerous are falls from stands. Falls are the major common injury related to hunting activity. http://surgery.osu.edu/trauma_burn/article.cfm?ID=6093

For tree stands, use safety harnesses. For constructed blinds and stands, make sure they are easy to climb and access safely. Consider how easily and safely the young and older hunters will be able to access them, while carrying gear in and out in the dark, with wet steps. This really is THE risk factor

5. Last, everyone reading this thread is far more likely to be seriously injured while driving to and from hunting than while hunting - the risk is orders of magnitude in difference. It is always amazing that people worry about things like this while eating a cheeseburger and fries and talking on cell phones while driving. If you want to do something to protect yourself, do not talk on a cell phone while driving. 1 in 4 car wrecks are now estimated to be caused by talking on a cell phone while driving. Hang up and pay attention.

From the National Safety Council.

Hands-free is Not Risk-free

With some state laws focusing on handheld bans and carmakers putting hands-free technology in vehicles, it’s no wonder people are confused. However, while many drivers honestly believe they are making the safe choice by using a hands-free device, it’s just not true. Your brain remains distracted by the conversation. Learn more about distracted driving.

http://www.nsc.org/learn/NSC-Initiatives/Pages/distracted-driving.aspx?var=mnd

Last, if you are on a hunting lease, make sure to include that information on your annual homeowner's insurance policy renewal questionnaire. If something did happen, and a claim is made against you, the homeowner's insurance very well may provide coverage for you.

up

I am always amazed at all these "I would never let anyone hunt on my land because of all the liability suits" statements on here. Just insurance company propaganda I guess. I have never seen or even heard of one in 27 years of practicing law. Spent a little time looking and couldn't find a single "guest v. landowner" suit related to hunting even on the books.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083739 12/14/15 09:54 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I am the "manager/lease boss" for our place. I agree that number one liability is probably atv use - especially where we are in South Texas - wash outs, hogs digging massive holes in the road, etc. NG you are an attorney and understand what you are saying but also, as you know, it only takes one time. I carry a 2 million umbrella policy on top of my homeowner policy. The umbrella coverage is very inexpensive too. If you think about it, it really is no different from family or guest coming to your home and slipping and falling.

Our waiver addresses the ranch owner protected from members and guest and then we have a separate waiver that protects (or attempts to) each member from being sued by another member or their guest. Hope we never have to address it.

Last edited by tlk; 12/14/15 09:55 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083745 12/14/15 09:55 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
tlk - please shoot me a copy. george@mapmyranch.com
Thanks

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6083805 12/14/15 10:36 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
tlk - please shoot me a copy. george@mapmyranch.com
Thanks

just sent

You can't fix stupid
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6083946 12/14/15 11:51 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
As most lawyers will tell you, the signature is not to protect you from the person who is hunting on your lease, but for his relatives who want to sue you. Get it signed.

^^^^ This

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6084012 12/15/15 12:27 AM
J
jmac24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
A lawyer owns our ranch, yes we sign waivers

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: DaveTexas] #6084045 12/15/15 12:48 AM
T
texas wetlands Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
We have folks signed one and we use the one the NRA produced a few years back. Just Google "hunting releases NRA" and it should pop up. We have even close friends sign it and tell them that our insurance company requires it. Never been problem for anyone. Some one said it earlier it's the family member's that will come after you.

Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: texas wetlands] #6084155 12/15/15 01:33 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
anyone wants a copy of the one we use that was lawyer written just Pm me and I will send - covers landowner and hunters -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Signed Waiver/Release form for guest hunting? [Re: tlk] #6084187 12/15/15 01:50 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
cya

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide