6247750 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6082410 - 12/13/15 10:08 PM Blackbuck
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
I went to the lease this weekend to shoot some doe's and cull bucks since I already shot my buck, but as luck would have it, I was able to get a trophy I had been wanting for many years. Our place is LF, but we have had numerous exotics wander through and many decided to make our place home. I had the chance to hunt one of the areas that the black bucks have been frequenting and wasn't going to pass up the chance.

I got down on Thursday afternoon and headed to the stand with my bow. It was warm and sunny but the activity started early. I have already shot my buck, so mainly was down to take doe, cull and if it played out right, I would get a chance at the black buck. Well, a spike was the first animal to wander in, followed by two other scrub bucks. Just before the feeder went off, a black buck doe and younger buck showed up but didn't come in range.

At our place, the BB don't like the whitetail and will push them off the corn, so I figured I would get a chance. The younger BB and doe moved in but I could see the dominant buck hanging in the brush.

If you have been around them, they don't stand still for very long and their eye sight is pretty good, so I knew I had to be ready if he came in. Well, he couldn't stand it and came in at full speed toward the other two BB and scattered the whitetail. The spike didn't think he needed to move and was on the receiving end of a slap from the horns of the BB. Well, that scattered all of them and the BB gave chase to everything in the area. One of the smaller bucks ran behind me and got down wind. He didn't like it, didn't bolt, but started acting silly about it. I had a feeling my chances were about to run out.

The smaller two BB's came back across and started to head off. The one I was after came through the first shooting window, went through the second opening, made a circle to come back and I was at full draw. He stopped for just a moment...I anchored and let it fly.

The arrow sailed true and hit my mark, but maybe a little low. He spun and I could see the exit was a little farther back than I anticipated, but blood was pouring out. I was certain he was down.

I hung out in the stand and sent text to a few buddies and my father. I typically give any animal over an hour before looking and wasn't planning on doing anything different on this one, despite encouragement from others grin

While I was waiting, more deer started filtering in. It was just over an hour since I had shot the BB and I had 9 deer below me. A doe finally decided to take her chances among the bucks and it turned out to be a fatal mistake. I stuck her in the shoulder and she made it about 30 yards before piling up and expiring.

There was a little light left, so I decided to use it to search for my BB. As I said, I was confident I wouldn't have to go far. I went to my arrow and as expected, coated. The trail was easy to follow. As I went around some bushes, the blood trail led me to an old abandoned road. I was following the trail to see if he turned off when movement caught my eye. About 10 yards away my Black buck was looking at me!! I was in shock, he was supposed to be dead!!!

I slowly started to back out and he had enough. He got to his feet and headed dead away from me. I knew he was hurt and weak from the way he walking and didn't think he could go far. I watched him go about 40 yards before he faded from view into the brush.

I backed out, simply deflated, collected my doe and headed back to camp. In my experience, an animal that is still alive after that long isn't hit as well as was originally thought and a bumped animal can be almost impossible to track. I went back and told my story over dinner. We discussed the options and headed back out to see if we could find the animal.

Turned out, tracking after he was bumped wasn't too hard. We were following the trail and Ramsey stayed ahead of us and was using his thermal to attempt to locate the animal. Wasn't long before he said he was pretty sure he sees it. The direction was right and so he headed that way. The buck had made it about another 60 yards before he died. Upon inspection, my shot was where I had thought. Just one tough animal.

I will soon have a trophy to go with the memory and my family fed on backstrap tonight. All in all, a great experience and damn proud to have taken this animal. Thanks for reading cheers

This is the entry wound. The exit was just slightly back from this

#6082415 - 12/13/15 10:10 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
cheers

#6082422 - 12/13/15 10:13 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Tracker

Loc: College Station
cheers up

#6082429 - 12/13/15 10:17 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
Nice!

#6082433 - 12/13/15 10:18 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
SapperTitan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Awesome Black Buck. Congrats.

#6082444 - 12/13/15 10:26 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
breadman Offline
Tracker

Loc: huntsville texas
congrat`s great buck and story

#6082455 - 12/13/15 10:33 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
z71dustin Online   content
THF Celebrity

That's a nice one, congrats!

#6082463 - 12/13/15 10:37 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
TAT Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: good ole texas
Dang, bud that's great BB! Will look great on the wall. Smile! That's sure nuff trophy. Lol it's amazing how tuff those suckers are!

#6082468 - 12/13/15 10:39 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: TAT]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Originally Posted By: TAT
Dang, bud that's great BB! Will look great on the wall. Smile! That's sure nuff trophy. Lol it's amazing how tuff those suckers are!

What do you mean??? That is my smile rofl

Thank you sir and thank you all cheers

#6082471 - 12/13/15 10:42 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
RedSnake Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Nolan County
That's fantastic! Congrats!

by RedSnake Enterprises, LLC
www.i-Solunar.com

#6082473 - 12/13/15 10:44 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
TAT Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: txshntr

What do you mean??? That is my smile rofl

Thank you sir and thank you all cheers

Well played! Can't wait to see that BB on the wall. It will be awesome. One day I'll get one. Would like to do it how you did but mine is probably gonna be in a HF! bolt

#6082474 - 12/13/15 10:45 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
TAT Offline
Extreme Tracker

Also,what did it measure out at. Looks like 18 or bigger strait tape.

#6082488 - 12/13/15 10:56 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Congratulations. Beautiful trophy.

#6082490 - 12/13/15 10:59 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: txshntr]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Congrats.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#6082492 - 12/13/15 11:00 PM Re: Blackbuck [Re: TAT]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Also,what did it measure out at. Looks like 18 or bigger strait tape.

Just took a quick measurement, as I don't have much experience with them. It was right at 18"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide