Page 1 of 2 1 2
Uninvited Visitors while hunting #6079486 12/12/15 04:43 AM
J
Jbell99 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J

Was in the deer blind looking out the windows and could hear something coming but couldn't see it a minute later it head butted the blind twice, I stick my head out the window to see what it was and it walked around and was attempting to put its head in the blind after a few minutes of whispering and motioning to go away eventually pulled my mask off and yelled to go away.
What is yalls oddest visitor you have had while in the blind?

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079497 12/12/15 04:53 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
A chickadee

Landed on my hat , stood there for 30 sec
Flew to ledge , stared at me for another 5-7 sec
Flew out. Then landed on top of blind

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079498 12/12/15 04:54 AM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
There is a family that lives across the road from my deer lease, and they have three dogs that often come to our side of the road, probably looking for food in our camp. Last year, I walked to my box blind (almost 1/2 mile from camp) for an afternoon hunt. A few minutes after I got settled in, the big black and white mutt appeared on the edge of my clearing, a couple hundred yards from my blind. He walked back and forth across the field, and finally came over to my blind and curled up about 10 feet in front of me and went to sleep. I let him be, and almost forgot he was there. About an hour later, a nice 8 point buck came into the clearing and I shot him. The dog jumped up at the shot and ran away. I've never seen him since.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: redfred] #6079550 12/12/15 06:28 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There is a doe that is 5 or 6 years old now, that was born and raised very close to our cabin and has gotten used to people. I've had trouble with her while pig hunting from a tree stand at night. If she gets wind of me, she will stomp and snort at the base of the tree. Shining a flashlight at her sometimes work, other times I have to drop something on her.

She also comes to the sound of the feeder being filled. I guess she has learned that there is always corn spilled.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079562 12/12/15 08:02 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I had a red-tailed hawk land on top of my tower blind. I banged on the roof, he dropped a turd as he flew away.

rolleyes

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079572 12/12/15 09:30 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Never had any uninvited visitors while hunting, always figured I was the uninvited visitor. yingyang

At camp, have had illegals come in uninvited. That will get your attention. eek2 slinger none aggressive but still.....

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079684 12/12/15 01:47 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Couple weeks ago, I was about half asleep in the blind. Heard a weird scratching noise on top. Then, BAM BAM BAM. Scared the carp out of me. I shook the blind and a wood pecker flew over and landed on top of the feeder and started banging on the top of that. Dinner bell I guess. Had 3 does walk up about 5 minutes after.

Last year, I had about 10 cows show up at the feeder. Thought the hunt would be over but waited it out. At about dark, the cows spooked and a heard a hogs came running up to the feeder. It was interesting watching the hogs chase off the remaining cows. Ended up shooting 2 pigs out of that group.

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079839 12/12/15 04:30 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Jbell99
...it walked around and was attempting to put its head in the blind...

Should have given it a big ol' open hand slap across the nose......probably would have made less noise than trying to "shoo" it away..... clap

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6079936 12/12/15 05:59 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
My problem has been coons. 3 or 4 times now, I have had raccoons climb the ladder to the tree or tripod stand I was in. It sounds weird to be hog hunting in the pitch black dark and hear something coming up the ladder.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080120 12/12/15 09:14 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The coolest visitor I ever had while hunting was an owl. I was in my tree climber in E TX deer hunting. I had worn my gillie and was looking out over a scrape and all of a sudden the owl landed on a branch right next to me. I could have literally reached out and touched it...it was that close! Coolest thing that ever happened while hunting.

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080195 12/12/15 10:01 PM
F
Freeman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I was sitting in my tripod about 25 yards from a feeder and well hidden in some cedar. I was totally decked out in camo and had my crossbow laying on the front rail ready to kill any pig that showed up and this little wren landed on the bow string and started dancing back and forth. It stayed about 30 seconds before it flew off. I've also had squirrels get uncomfortably close when I'm up in a tree stand, a shriek owl who just knew there was something wrong with "that bush" next to his perch, and way too often the dang donkey comes around to raid the feeder.

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080263 12/12/15 10:54 PM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
They didn't come to my blind but I had 3 Sandhill cranes come to my feeder every day for a week, just south of Falfurrias.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080336 12/12/15 11:37 PM
H
HornSlayer Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I had a hawk fly in on top of me as I sat in a tripod once. As it few toward me from a couple hundred yards away we made eye contact. It few directly at me. I think it could see my eyes and thought I was an easy target. At about 15 feet, I waved my arms, this sucker had both landing gear down as it came to a stop in mid flight about 3 feet from me. It's reversing thruster sounded like a
Jet taking off.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080350 12/12/15 11:48 PM
HuntingTexas Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Got so frustrated with cows one time I reached out and smacked one on the arse as it went by. Big mistake, she ran off, stopped at 25 yards, turned around and spent the next hour staring at the blind.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080363 12/12/15 11:57 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Couple of dudes pretending to be lost, opening morning of pronghorn season in Abbott, NM, many years ago. People out there go plumb nuts out there trying to shoot a pronghorn.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: HornSlayer] #6080541 12/13/15 01:58 AM
N
Novemberyet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
I had a hawk fly in on top of me as I sat in a tripod once. As it few toward me from a couple hundred yards away we made eye contact. It few directly at me. I think it could see my eyes and thought I was an easy target. At about 15 feet, I waved my arms, this sucker had both landing gear down as it came to a stop in mid flight about 3 feet from me. It's reversing thruster sounded like a jet taking off.

Had just about the same thing happen to me one time except I was varmint hunting.

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080602 12/13/15 02:38 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I was hunting in Webb County several years back. We had no blinds or feeders, so we would corn ROWs and make cover in bushes on the side of the road. Then camo up and sit still waiting for pigs or deer.
As I sat there two caracas landed about 20 feet from me. They paced back and forth, looking at me as if I was to be dinner. They came right up to my feet, and couldn't figure out what I was. This went on for about 20 minutes. A few times one of them would come at me is if to attack, but would back off at the last moment. I had deer of the road so I would stay still, but I had my pistol drawn in case I had to defend myself. They finally gave up and went after prey in a gun free zone.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080658 12/13/15 03:17 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
Had a flying squirrel living in one of my box blind a few years ago. He would stay in the rafter till dark then leave. He would come back into the blind right at first light. He was a cute little fellow.

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080734 12/13/15 03:58 AM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Had a squirrel climb the tree and crawl around on the platform I was hunting. He looked in my backpack, nearly climbed in it then moved over to my leg and started patting it down. Guess he couldn't figure out what that 'tree' was. He went back down the tree and moved off.

Had an owl fly into the box blind I was hunting once. He landed on the window then hopped down on the other chair. He stared at me for a minute then bailed out the window.

Not exactly a stand, but while calling for fox/coyotes one night had a grey fox jump in the bed of the truck. I think both of us were just as scared.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6080773 12/13/15 04:21 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I had a field mouse that lived in my bow blind. I KEPT THINKING OF THE GREEN MILE. it kept me occupied.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6082773 12/14/15 02:09 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
On my last incident with cows at the blind I saw almost exactly that same picture.

Originally Posted By: Jbell99

You'd be amazed at the effect a well placed shot of Coon scent from a squirt bottle will have!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Bbear] #6082811 12/14/15 02:27 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Bbear
Had an owl fly into the box blind I was hunting once. He landed on the window then hopped down on the other chair. He stared at me for a minute then bailed out the window

Had that happen earlier this year while pig hunting, except the owl and myself didn't remain calm.

I was sleeping in a pop up blind a few years ago in Oklahoma. There was fresh snow on the ground and the sun had just come out, so I took a nap. A young 4 point had stuck is head inside my window that was down. When he snorted I flipped out. Rolled out of the chair, gun buried in the snow, the buck going crazy trying to get away. He shredded the pop up. All 4 stakes were still in the ground and the rest of it was ripped away.

Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Jbell99] #6082836 12/14/15 02:36 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
We have an old box blind on our place that isn't kept up very well. There is some storm damage that knocked a hole in the side. You can see alot of country from that stand, so one morning I climbed up in it. There isn't a feeder, so I had to wait for good light before glassing the open country. As I am sitting in one of the corners, I kept hearing something above me in the ceiling, just figured it was a rat or mouse. Sun came up and I opened all the windows and started glassing.

I had forgot about the noise and was intent on my search for deer when I was attacked!!! Feathers, air and the most awful screeching I had ever heard. I screech owl had apparently made its home above the ceiling and it wasn't happy with me intruding in its home. He gave me a good thrashing, screamed at me again and flew out the window.

We had another stand that a ringtail lived in. It wasn't near as bothered about me being in his home and at day break, he would come out and sit on the window ledge. I never tried to touch him, but I always had the feeling he wouldn't have cared.

My bow blind is in a hackberry tree. I was hunting a few years back and it was getting late. It was one of those nights that was still so you could hear everything. As it was getting beyond shooting light, I kicked back in the seat to wait until dark to get down and I heard something at the base of the tree. I leaned forward to look down and here came 4 coons. The first one was half way up and his buddies were piling up behind him. The first one made it past me and got eye level, the second one was at my feet and couldn't decide whether to run its partners over to get back down or fight me....it decided to fight me. Well, when that fight started, the one in the tree decided it would join in. I was kicking one and whacking the other with my arrow. The other two didn't really figure out what was going on and just wanted in the tree, so they dropped down and went to the other side of the trunk. I had my hands full with 2 and knew that 4 pissed off coons would get the best of me. I gave the one in the tree a hard whack with the arrow, put a boot in the one below me and bailed out of the stand.

That's a few that quickly come to mind, but I am sure I have had more.

One of the best stories I have heard was a guy that hunted with us for years. We were turkey hunting a place near Proctor and he had gone off to sit in a bush. He was calling at first light and saw a flash of brown at about 30 yards out. He hit the call and the bush exploded. 3 coyotes had decided he was a turkey and had charged the bush. He was shook up when we met back up and took us back to the scene of the crime. He had killed 2 of the 3 and the first one was laying 5' from his chair and the fur on his face had the signs of muzzle blast.

One of the closest encounters I have heard was a guy that my father hunted with, I didn't know him well. He was sitting in a tree with full camo and was attacked by an owl. All we can figure is the owl thought his mask looked like a squirrel. It had sunk all its talons into his head and by his description, beat the hell out of him with its wings. He finally got a hold of it and smashed it against the tree. It fell out of the tree and was laying at the base when the other hunters went to make sure he was ok. He said he was afraid he had just knocked it out and it would wake up when he got down. He ended up going to the ER to get stitches for all the lacerations in his head.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: txshntr] #6083067 12/14/15 04:14 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Sitting in a pop up early morning and knew there was tree rats all around. Popup was pulled real tight cause rodent come falling to roof and slid down to window I was looking out. He was boar!! Cause I was leaning forward to peek out and figure out what was up and with racket and his man berries were almost on my nose!

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Uninvited Visitors while hunting [Re: Deerhunter61] #6083278 12/14/15 06:15 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
The coolest visitor I ever had while hunting was an owl. I was in my tree climber in E TX deer hunting. I had worn my gillie and was looking out over a scrape and all of a sudden the owl landed on a branch right next to me. I could have literally reached out and touched it...it was that close! Coolest thing that ever happened while hunting.

I've got an owl that is hanging around my feeder and dive-bombing it trying to catch the doves. Watched him on 3 different sits this weekend. He provides most of the entertainment I'm getting as the deer have decided that my set-up is a night only area since the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide