Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078340 12/11/15 03:43 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
First time I've ever heard of this law...and I think it is absolute and utter BS.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078345 12/11/15 03:48 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'm just amazed by all the "hunters" on here who don't read, understand and follow the TPWD regulations. Doesn't matter if you like the regs or not, it's the law. If you want to change that, go to a Commission meeting in Austin and start the process. If you choose to be ignorant, don't blame the Game Warden for doing his job and writing you a citation.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078381 12/11/15 04:16 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I agree with fouzman, instead of getting your drawers in a wad obey the laws or pay the fine. rifle

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: fouzman] #6078389 12/11/15 04:20 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I'm just amazed by all the "hunters" on here who don't read, understand and follow the TPWD regulations. Doesn't matter if you like the regs or not, it's the law. If you want to change that, go to a Commission meeting in Austin and start the process. If you choose to be ignorant, don't blame the Game Warden for doing his job and writing you a citation.

I'm not amazed at all. I'll bet ALL of us are unaware of a few game/fish laws. Over 100 pages of fine print rules/laws that were mostly just copied from other DNR's in states with less private land. Many were outdated to start with.

As hunting became a bigger piece of the ag income pie the majority became irrelevant/outdated. As with all aspects of life other than defense, the private sector is a much better steward than any govt entity.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078395 12/11/15 04:23 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
rancher, I can assure you that I am not unaware of ANY of the game/fish laws that apply to the species I pursue. Not trying to be high and mighty. It's just the way I was raised. I'm 55 and have hunted and fished in Texas my entire life. In all that time, I've probably been checked by GWs 20+ times. I've only received one citation from a warden in all those years. I was one life jacket short after picking up an extra guy at the ramp while night fishing Fork. I knew the law but in the rush to pick up the guy and get back on the fish, I forgot to grab another life jacket out of my truck. My fault and I learned from it.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078399 12/11/15 04:27 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
TPWD does a summary every year of any laws/regulations that change. Isn't too difficult to see the updates. I'm with Fouzman, I read the regs pretty carefully every year and feel like I know them inside and out. If I have a question, the app is easy enough to access on my phone and confirm. The rules being debated in this thread have been in place for a while now, people just don't keep up with them.

Here is the link with all new regs for this year:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/editorial/2015-2016/new-for-2015-2016

Quote:
[/quote]

New for 2015-2016
Freshwater Fishing

In Braunig and Calaveras reservoirs, minimum length limit for largemouth bass is lowered to 14 inches. Daily bag limit remains at five.
On O.H. Ivie Reservoir, smallmouth bass minimum length limit is lowered to 14 inches. Daily bag limit is increased to five.
On Lake Nasworthy, largemouth bass length limit changes to prohibit harvest of bass 14–18 inches long (14–18-inch slot). Daily bag limit remains at five.
On Falcon Lake, alligator gar daily bag limit is increased to five per day.
On Lake Texoma, in addition to the prohibition on the "take" of alligator gar during May from Lake Texoma from the U.S. 377 bridge (Willis Bridge) up-stream to the I-35 bridge, no person "shall fish for or seek to take" alligator gar in that area.

Hunting

Eastern turkey season is closed in 11 counties and on national forest lands in Jasper County.
Eastern turkeys now reported electronically.
Mandatory harvest reporting will no longer be required in Wharton and Matagorda Counties during the 30-day spring turkey season, which opens there April 1.
Youth-only late turkey season is expanded by 12 days in counties having a fall Rio Grande turkey season, to run 14 days concurrently with late youth-only white-tailed deer season.[quote]

Last edited by rexmitchell; 12/11/15 04:28 PM.
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: fouzman] #6078449 12/11/15 04:59 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
rancher, I can assure you that I am not unaware of ANY of the game/fish laws that apply to the species I pursue. Not trying to be high and mighty. It's just the way I was raised. I'm 55 and have hunted and fished in Texas my entire life. In all that time, I've probably been checked by GWs 20+ times. I've only received one citation from a warden in all those years. I was one life jacket short after picking up an extra guy at the ramp while night fishing Fork. I knew the law but in the rush to pick up the guy and get back on the fish, I forgot to grab another life jacket out of my truck. My fault and I learned from it.

I can assure you that if you let me write a test on hunting laws you won't make a 100%. That is NOT calling you a liar. I don't know what happened to a couple of posts on here, but just because I call BS on what you think you know doesn't mean I'm calling you a liar.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: therancher] #6078452 12/11/15 05:01 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Ok quick rexmitchell and fouzman. How long is the minimum time you have to spend trying to recover a game animal before you can legally give up the search??

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078457 12/11/15 05:06 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
It's not defined that way. Reasonable attempt to recover.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: fouzman] #6078479 12/11/15 05:28 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
It's not defined that way. Reasonable attempt to recover.

Had to look it up huh.

It's arbitrary. Total BS law. Just like a law telling you how you have to butcher your meat. Just like 3 shot shells.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078486 12/11/15 05:35 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
You may think it is BS, but it is the law.

LOL, I didn't even have to look up the search query and I don't hunt deer. That was a pretty easy question. If you would have asked which counties do or don't have AR, that would have required an look-up.

I did read the regulations when I got my license, then noted the parts that applied to my hunting.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078487 12/11/15 05:35 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
No. Know it by heart. But you go on believing I looked it up if it will make you feel better.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: fouzman] #6078493 12/11/15 05:45 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
No. Know it by heart. But you go on believing I looked it up if it will make you feel better.

Can I as a landowner legally pre sign MLD permits?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078495 12/11/15 05:48 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Why is it BS? I didn't realize all poachers had quit poaching and all that everybody followed the rules/laws 100%. It was put in place PRECISELY because people hacked up several deer and claimed it was ONE. If you can't count the qtrs you don't know for sure how many deer it is. If the quarters are all present it's very easy to say 'That's one deer'. Jeez, some of you'd gritch if they hanged you with a new rope.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: therancher] #6078497 12/11/15 05:51 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: therancher

I'm really not interested in wasting any more of my time with you. I manage an MLD III ranch in South Texas. That should give you your answer.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6078514 12/11/15 06:07 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Why is it BS? I didn't realize all poachers had quit poaching and all that everybody followed the rules/laws 100%. It was put in place PRECISELY because people hacked up several deer and claimed it was ONE. If you can't count the qtrs you don't know for sure how many deer it is. If the quarters are all present it's very easy to say 'That's one deer'. Jeez, some of you'd gritch if they hanged you with a new rope.

Ahh, so it magically becomes obvious how many deer are in the cooler when it reaches "final destination"... Even though that can be at the location it was killed at.

On your lease or your land, do you need a game warden and game laws to make you manage it well?? Or do you just need someone to call for true unlawful trespassers who are poaching? Does how that poacher cuts up his deer make any difference???? Hale no it doesn't. You know it, but won't admit it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: fouzman] #6078515 12/11/15 06:09 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I'm really not interested in wasting any more of my time with you. I manage an MLD III ranch in South Texas. That should give you your answer.

No sir. It does not answer my question. You're evading and you know it. The fact that you didn't know that law is noted. up

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6078521 12/11/15 06:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

I don't understand the difficulty either. I have run into the occasional law regarding hunting/trapping that required some clarification - but that one ain't one of 'em. It's easy to both understand and comply with.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6078549 12/11/15 06:34 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I don't understand the difficulty either. I have run into the occasional law regarding hunting/trapping that required some clarification - but that one ain't one of 'em. It's easy to both understand and comply with.

The ease of compliance isn't the issue. The issue is that there are so many insignificant easy to comply with laws that not even game wardens themselves can keep up with them. The death by a thousand cuts syndrome.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: therancher] #6078556 12/11/15 06:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Rex and double naught, NP?? Sho is quiet up in here.

Any other "it's easy to know all the game laws" folks wanna play?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078621 12/11/15 07:11 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I am the land owner and process my family's kills at the ranch (non commercial). The meat is not stored any longer than their visit and then taken home with them. The Jack County warden says all I need to do is fill out the log book as mentioned above. He wasn't sure I even had to do that but to be on the safe side and it costs nothing.

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: billybob] #6078658 12/11/15 07:31 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: billybob
I am the land owner and process my family's kills at the ranch (non commercial). The meat is not stored any longer than their visit and then taken home with them. The Jack County warden says all I need to do is fill out the log book as mentioned above. He wasn't sure I even had to do that but to be on the safe side and it costs nothing.

What? He "wasn't sure"? Are you telling me a game warden doesn't even know, while we have folks here claiming it's so easy to know, that even a Baylor bear can figure it out?? confused2

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: TXHuntFish4] #6078674 12/11/15 07:43 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
There are legal issues in all laws...in my case is my ranch considered a lease. I say no... I don't lease it. If it was and for use by family only and I didn't charge anything to process... than I would not have to keep any records. I'll run that by the bear. up

Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: therancher] #6078675 12/11/15 07:45 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Ahh, so it magically becomes obvious how many deer are in the cooler when it reaches "final destination"... Even though that can be at the location it was killed at.

On your lease or your land, do you need a game warden and game laws to make you manage it well?? Or do you just need someone to call for true unlawful trespassers who are poaching? Does how that poacher cuts up his deer make any difference???? Hale no it doesn't. You know it, but won't admit it.

Admit what? That nobody out there illegally shoots three deer, hacks them into a cooler, and uses one or even zero tags on the meat while hauling it however far to their place before packaging it up?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ticket from game warden [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6078693 12/11/15 08:02 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Admit what? That nobody out there illegally shoots three deer, hacks them into a cooler, and uses one or even zero tags on the meat while hauling it however far to their place before packaging it up?

Several things.

1. The law is silly as written because nothing changes when you get to destination.
2. Most land is owned or leased and you and I both know that lease/landowner rules are better at managing game than state or fed laws are.
3. Today, since landowner income from wildlife is so significant that self policing is sufficient, and makes anything more than a number to call to apprehend trespassers/poachers, irrelevant.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide