Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder #6070957 12/07/15 05:13 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
So I've been working with him on FF over the last few days. I'm having him jump up on a table about 2.5' high (there is a step but he doesn't use it). After about 8 minutes of hold drills we finished up and he jumped down. Nothing out of the ordinary as he always just jumps off the table instead of getting down using the step. He seemed fine. About 20 minutes later I went to feed the dogs and noticed he had a slight limp, 10 minutes after that it was noticeable and he wasn't trying to put any weight on it whatsoever. I checked his pad on that leg, no stickers or burs or wounds. I started feeling up his leg and when I grasped his muscle and tendon in between his knee and his shoulder he whimpered a bit and flinched. I immediately put him in his crate to restrict movement until I can get him to the vet to get checked out.

Man this sucks... I hope he's okay. A lot of time and effort have gone into this guy and we are smack in the middle of his training and he was doing awesome up to this point. I researched shoulder injuries online and there's so many things it can be... and most of them aren't good.

Anyone had any experience with puppy injuries similar to this?

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6071027 12/07/15 05:46 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I had one that was hoping around playing in the house with me. He leaped on the couch, and then was immediately on three legs. The next morning he was still not very weight bearing on the leg. The vet checked him out, and felt he had a strain. The only place he showed tenderness was where the chest connects to the front leg. He was put on rest, and meds, but is now back to hunting with me.
I've had my dogs seen by orthopedic vets in the past, and things have turned out good.
So now I don't stress, until a vet tells me its bad.

Hope your pup just needs a little time to recover.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6071083 12/07/15 06:05 PM
E
epp838 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I had a crazy beagle that use to play too rough with other dogs and would get pounced on. Seems like every few months he would come up limping for a few days. I would restrict him on outside activity for a few days then he was back to normal. I bet its not as bad as you think

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6071088 12/07/15 06:10 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good luck.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: Cochise] #6072566 12/08/15 01:40 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Cochise
If it persists for more than a week and the x-rays are clear on any visible injuries I would highly recommend a few rounds of RVI injections.

My oldest lab injured his elbow when he was about 6 months old - wife is in the vet medical field and the group she worked for at the time (up in Dallas) could not get it fixed - his limp was pretty severe and didn't improve for 3 months. Rads were clear, not responding to Rimadyl, Previcox, or anything else, etc and they were talking MRIs and what not. About that time she changed jobs much closer to home (in the country) and her new boss immediately got him on RVI injections. By the end of week 1 he had improved significantly, 3 weeks in and the limp was completely gone.

Youngest lab just had the exact same thing happen - except we put him on RVI injections immediately. Fixed.

I swear by them. Both for my dogs and horses, and for myself.

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6073246 12/08/15 07:36 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Thanks for the advice everyone. Just an update, took him to the vet yesterday and he prescribed Rimadyl and prednisone. Said he thinks he pinched a nerve (due to inflammation) that is located in the groove of his shoulder. I've given him the medication several times now and he appears to be getting better. He's starting to put weight on it again now. Man that was scary.

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6084661 12/15/15 12:57 PM
G
GimmeABuck Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Glad to hear it's just a pinched nerve and he's feeling better. If I were you, I'd still be keeping him on crate rest and leashed walks for a week or so. The meds make em feel better than they are, and they can overdo.

How old is your pup and what breed? I had a dog once just shy of a year that ended up developing osteochondritis Dissecans of the shoulder. It basically has the symptoms you're describing. He got hit by a car (actually, HE ran into the car!) and that kicked it off for him. (Though, after I purchased him I found out his sire developed the condition as well, so he had a double whammy.) If he is still limping after a few weeks you might want to get an X-ray for it. Hopefully not, though!

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6085999 12/15/15 11:29 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
He is doing pretty good and he's a lab (just turned 8 months) to answer your question. Although after some types of training you can still see a slight limp if you look for it. I'm giving him as much crate rest as I can to not interfere with his training (that's what the vet said to do, while keeping an eye on it for regression). His parents are both great dogs that are registered and cleared and he hasn't had any major traumatic injuries like running into or getting hit by a vehicle.

I'm still slightly apprehensive about it and if I still see that limp after about a month or so I am going to take him for X-Ray/MRI if needed. I know it's expensive but I have a lot of time and expense tied up in him so I'd prefer to know for certain.

Thanks for the feedback!

Re: Crap... think my pup just tore something in his shoulder [Re: hunting_guy] #6086033 12/15/15 11:49 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Hope the pup is alright...most of us who have labs went through this at one time or another. I hope it's nothing more than a sprain/strain and he'll be back to normal soon.

Most folks who FF recommend all other training stop and just let the dog attempt to wrap its head around the whole pressure thing....might actually be a 1/2 way decent time for it to happen (if there is such a thing). I wouldn't pen him up in the kennel on all the off times though....limited activities but not kennelled up like an acl tear.

Again...good luck.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide