Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Brother...that was exciting... #6069858 12/07/15 12:31 AM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hunted this evening where I expected to see hogs. Didn't see anything but birds eating my corn. It's up in the woods, so it'd dark in there a bit earlier than on my powerline ROW. So, in the hopes I'd see something on the ROW, I sneaked quietly down the dirt road to the ROW. Got to the edge, still with my rifle on my shoulder, and looked left. Nothing. Looked right. Hmmm...large black lump. Slid the rifle off the shoulder, put the scope on the large black lump, and it's a large black hog, at 20 steps, looking right at me. Head on. I don't know that we've ever discussed where to place the bullet in that situation, so I put it right on the snout and cranked off the round. He jumped, spun, flopped and ran right at me. Turned at the last minute. Squealing all the way. I'll look for him in the morning. Not right now.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6069918 12/07/15 01:00 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
That will git the old ticker a tickin!

Draw an "X" in your mind on his forehead between his eyes and ears...shoot the middle of the "X"....

Post pics when you find him...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6069928 12/07/15 01:03 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers tis easy ta get caught up in the heat of things.. At 20 steps aim cross hairs little higher allowing for hight of scope over barrel... Stay Safe flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6070529 12/07/15 02:00 PM
D
d.g.ruff Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Waiting on snoutless hog pics, lol! Too bad there wasn't a vid too

Mmmm Hmmm
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6070543 12/07/15 02:07 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Yep, as colt said you have to aim high when that close, to account for the scope being off the barrel and the bullet rise hasn't occurred yet. Hope you find him but my guess is you won't. Probably grazed his belly or hit into his chest if aiming at the snout that close. Might not have even hit him depending on how he was standing.

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6070549 12/07/15 02:13 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
that sure will get the blood pumping did you get him ?

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6070600 12/07/15 02:38 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I haven't been out to look yet, but I don't expect to find him. He, and I'm assuming it was a boar, was hit pretty hard and doing some major squealing. He moved slowly off my place, as I followed the loud squealing, and went onto neighbor Ron's place, where the squealing stopped. I have a general idea of where he may be, but if I can't find a blood trail, I won't find him. Ron won't mind that I wander around on his side of the fence.

I'll tell you guys that when that hog ran right at me, all I could do was raise the rifle and prepare to shoot, but using the sights was out of the question. I could hardly see the hog at that point, other than a black blur, but I could sure hear him running at me. If he hadn't turned, he'd have been on me or would have run right past me. I didn't even have time to be scared or nervous. When I got back to the house, where the wife was cooking some steaks on the back patio, she wanted to know what all that noise was about. That's how loud and constant the squealing was.

I'll go back to hunting hogs from elevated blinds. Being at short range, on the ground, was less than ideal.

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6070842 12/07/15 04:22 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Another possibility is the hog wasn't hit at all and was just responding to a very loud bang in a very dark night. If you didn't aim and just took a shoulder shot at night, chances are you didn't hit him. That is a difficult shot in daylight given the circumstances and at night would be very difficult.

Who knows. I applaud you for not crapping your jeans and having enough wits to get a shot off....many Alan wouldn't have gotten that far!

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6071085 12/07/15 06:08 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
No way I missed him. He and I both were stock still when I cranked off the round, and the crosshairs were right where I wanted them. I've shot a lot of hogs over the years, and I have never seen anything like that. If I find him, I expect that I'll find that I shot a lot of his corn munching apparatus off. Wherever the bullet hit, it caused much pain. Looking back, I wish I'd had a bayonet. And as much as I hate feral hogs, I wish I could've got a second shot into him to put him away, but he was bouncing and squealing like a huge armadillo.

The bullet was a Nosler Ballistic Tip. If I hit where I think I did, mostly bone, the bullet might not have reached the vitals. This would have been a good day for a Partition bullet.

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6071125 12/07/15 06:25 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
As pappy once said: Things they don't teach ya in English class... rofl
Originally Posted By: 603Country

I'll go back to hunting hogs from elevated blinds. Being at short range, on the ground, was less than ideal.

Tis how got nick name caveman rofl When told em bout going inta think stuff after wounded hogs, both day & at night... They always said: the hog gonna get ya... Any animal tis most dangerous when wounded an cornered... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6071535 12/07/15 10:11 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I couldn't find him. I did find a good bit of blood, but not enough to track him.

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6071650 12/07/15 11:05 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I agree, you did NOT miss the pig, we can dispel that thought.

At that close distance (depending upon how high your scope is mounted above the bore), you likely shot a bit lower than point of aim (perhaps as much as 2"). Still, you hit the hog 'someplace', no doubt about it. The reaction you describe and the protracted squealing would have been evidence enough, even without blood.

You don't say what cartridge was used (unless I missed it), but depending upon bullet weight, construction, velocity and shot angle, it could well have fragmented or been deflected by bone/teeth and not reached the vitals.

Anyway, you took what you thought was the best shot (under the circumstances)... and the results are what they are. We don't get them all!

Keep after them...and thanks for sharing your story.

Flint.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6071748 12/08/15 12:02 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I know this isn't reflected amongst the crowd, but my thoughts about hog hunting is if lead is in the body it is a good thing, recovery or not. There are too many of them for all of us to kill and any dent is a good thing!

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: Texas buckeye] #6072089 12/08/15 02:50 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
I know this isn't reflected amongst the crowd, but my thoughts about hog hunting is if lead is in the body it is a good thing, recovery or not. There are too many of them for all of us to kill and any dent is a good thing!

^^^^^^ I don't think you'd get too much disagreement here, but I suppose there is a high end to everything.

There seems to be two camps (and thoughts) regarding Hogs in our State. Folks (more or less) will assign 'value' to Hogs based upon their experience with them.

1. 'Most' Landowners/Farmers/Ranchers regard them as pests, a non-indigenous, invasive species...that cause problems in a number of ways.

2. On the other hand, Hogs are fast becoming a popular 'Large' non-game animal to hunt and quite a few folks enjoy pursuing them for both sport and table fare.

With that in mind....it is understandable that some disagreement will exist as to the 'value' of Feral Hogs.

Personally, I have both feet planted firmly in camp # 1 (would like no hogs, or very few in the State) and my own efforts are geared toward eradication. But, I can't ignore the reality that many folks enjoy hunting them and would like to see the population sustained (a foregone conclusion at this point).

Either way, I am fine with folks shooting at them provided (as in the OP's case) there is a reasonable chance of making a good hit. There is NO doubt that occurred in this instance.

A 'new' thread discussing the ethics of various types of Hog Hunting would be certain to cause a stir. Hope we don't see that. smile

For me, I just enjoy coming here and reading the stories and experiences of others. Also to learn.

Flint.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6072308 12/08/15 04:57 AM
M
mcclelland Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I once shot a piglet in the snout. It was good eating that night!

Re: Brother...that was exciting... [Re: 603Country] #6072819 12/08/15 03:48 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Sounds like there's one less hog alive in your county, and that's good. Too bad you couldn't recover it, I always try to get a photo and something to put on the smoker or grind up into sausage. Still, I've had hogs that I was sure I'd hit (running shot, saw them go down, but they got back up and took off) which I never found. It happens.

At twenty yards it's likely, as others have mentioned, your bullet went below your aim point. I know that, but sometimes in the excitement and surprise of having a hog suddenly appear in front of me I tend to point and shoot without thinking about the technicalities.

Good job all the same!

I have two unwritten rules:
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide