Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069249 12/06/15 03:47 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
A fellow here in town recently bought a Savage model 11 "Hog Hunter" in .308 that looks very nice. - I am not crazy about the Hogue rubberized stocks, but stocks are not as expensive and time-consuming to replace as they used to be.

One interesting thing about the Hog Hunter is that it is available in .338 Federal, a really excellent short-barrel cartridge choice. The barrel on the Hog Hunter is heavy, not a bull barrel but still pretty thick.

I've kind of had my run with Savages, but this one is tempting.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/06/15 03:49 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069251 12/06/15 03:49 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Except a running shot is one that can hardly be practiced at any gun range. How would you know with certainty that the animal would not suffer at all after you pulled the trigger?

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069261 12/06/15 03:54 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
so a running shot is more "sportsmanlike" than a LR shot?

Yes, by a wide margin.

This just keeps getting better.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: MacDaddy21] #6069269 12/06/15 03:59 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Except a running shot is one that can hardly be practiced at any gun range. How would you know with certainty that the animal would not suffer at all after you pulled the trigger?

It is sad, but not surprising that the troll poster here has no knowledge of how to practice for running shots.

He's a 'long range game shooter' as opposed to being a hunter, his idea of 'hunting' is to be so far away from the game animal that it cannot possibly detect him. You know - the type who wouldn't know sportsmanship if it slapped him upside the head.

Looks like it's not much of a step from being a "long range game shooter" to being a pathetic troll with nothing intelligent or civil to contribute to the discussion. Good old JG is proving that, over and over.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/06/15 04:02 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069305 12/06/15 04:35 PM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M

It is sad, but not surprising that the troll poster here has no knowledge of how to practice for running shots.

He's a 'long range game shooter' as opposed to being a hunter, his idea of 'hunting' is to be so far away from the game animal that it cannot possibly detect him. You know - the type who wouldn't know sportsmanship if it slapped him upside the head.

Looks like it's not much of a step from being a "long range game shooter" to being a pathetic troll with nothing intelligent or civil to contribute to the discussion. Good old JG is proving that, over and over.

Wow, Charles. I didn't know you knew more about my personal hunting than I did myself. That is truly impressive. I had no idea I was a "long range game shooter". Interesting you say that about me, as only 3 of the deer I have ever taken were taken with a rifle. The rest were taken with a bow. My custom rifle that I designed to shoot long range has only had the pleasure of shooting a few hogs at less than 50 yards, yet I routinely practice shooting at distances in excess of 500 yards.

Keep on bashing people who ask you questions. Seems to be a good strategy.

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069328 12/06/15 04:58 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
so a running shot is more "sportsmanlike" than a LR shot?

Yes, by a wide margin.

Oh my god. Now I know you don't even believe what you are saying. .

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069350 12/06/15 05:26 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

From where do you get these alleged facts?

You been spying on my hunting for the last twenty years?

I'd love to see the evidence of these claims. popcorn

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069377 12/06/15 05:57 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
need a refill popcorn

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069570 12/06/15 09:04 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I have been advised to ignore the troll posts for a while.

Anybody have anything relevant to the topic that does not involve a personal attack or harassment?

When trolls take over a discussion, it winds up being all about them, and readers who actually want to enjoy the forum are prevented from doing so.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/06/15 09:06 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069737 12/06/15 11:12 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Ok, relevant to the topic. Seems to me that if off hand, standing shots are the goal, you'd be far better off with a light contour barrel than a heavy barrel. Gunna be easier to hold an off hand shot steady with a lighter rifle.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: TFF Caribou] #6069760 12/06/15 11:26 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Ok, relevant to the topic. Seems to me that if off hand, standing shots are the goal, you'd be far better off with a light contour barrel than a heavy barrel. Gunna be easier to hold an off hand shot steady with a lighter rifle.

I go back and forth on this. Sometimes it seems as if a little extra weight helps me get steady and slow the wobble. Other times I hold a lighter rifle steady for longer. I think its a balancing act. Long varmint barrels are too heavy and sported barrels are too lite. I've come to like a heavy sporter barrel if its a 26". I have been contemplating cutting my varmint barreled 243 from 26 to 16.

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: bo3] #6069772 12/06/15 11:35 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: bo323

I go back and forth on this. Sometimes it seems as if a little extra weight helps me get steady and slow the wobble. Other times I hold a lighter rifle steady for longer. I think its a balancing act. Long varmint barrels are too heavy and sported barrels are too lite. I've come to like a heavy sporter barrel if its a 26". I have been contemplating cutting my varmint barreled 243 from 26 to 16.

You may be dead on about balance. That's probably has just as much to do with it as anything.

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069868 12/07/15 12:36 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I keep thinking back to my old blackpowder Hawken rifle from way back when. That thing was really great for off-hand shooting.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069886 12/07/15 12:45 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The FNAR's are nice, one of the very best but I am looking to use a bolt gun for this.

I already know what hardware I intend to start with, either a Howa barreled action, or a Weatherby Vanguard with the heavy barrel if I can find a used one that is priced right. The main difference between the two is that the Vanguard metal will be finished differently from the Howa, and the Vanguard will come with a plastic stock that I will proceed to remove and replace.

I am uncertain about the scope, I know that I want a 2-7 compact variable but have not decided between Leupold and Ziess.

Here I am asking for comments about the handling qualities of short bull barrels in the field, more than anything, and the kind of stock designs that seems to work out best with them. - I may step away from the thumb-hole stocks that I generally prefer, this time around.

One issue is that I will either have to do a good deal of whittling to lighten up a Varmint stock - or open up the barrel channel on a Sporter stock. I much prefer Varmint stocks for shooting at the range of course, but the same features that make a Varmint stock great for firing prone and from the bench would make one too heavy and ponderous for lugging around in the field. - I'm a fair chase hunter, so camping out in a blind in front of a feeder is not on the itinerary here. I have camped out in blinds in the past, and it's a good way to get the venison, but I find it more enjoyable these days to be on the hoof, moving around seeing the country in the sometimes forlorn hope of outwitting the game in its own element.

My theory, still untested is that a short bull barrel should be great for running shots and impromptu shots that often have to be taken without the benefit of a support or stick. As we all know though, reality does not always cooperate with theory. I'd like to hear experiences from hunters who have stalked either game or varmints with short bull barreled rifles.

How does it work out in the field?

Wow, those shots you describe are ethical sportsman shots that don't increase the chance of wound and lost game?
And all of a sudden 300 yard shots are OK?
I can't believe you came back with a post like this. Are you bipolar?

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: TFF Caribou] #6069913 12/07/15 12:59 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C

You may be dead on about balance. That's probably has just as much to do with it as anything.

Balance, and stock fit make a big difference. One reason that I tend to lean toward the thumb-hole stocks from Boyds is that they always seem to fit me pretty well.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: huntwest] #6069921 12/07/15 01:02 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: huntwest
The FNAR's are nice, one of the very best but I am looking to use a bolt gun for this.

I already know what hardware I intend to start with, either a Howa barreled action, or a Weatherby Vanguard with the heavy barrel if I can find a used one that is priced right. The main difference between the two is that the Vanguard metal will be finished differently from the Howa, and the Vanguard will come with a plastic stock that I will proceed to remove and replace.

I am uncertain about the scope, I know that I want a 2-7 compact variable but have not decided between Leupold and Ziess.

Here I am asking for comments about the handling qualities of short bull barrels in the field, more than anything, and the kind of stock designs that seems to work out best with them. - I may step away from the thumb-hole stocks that I generally prefer, this time around.

One issue is that I will either have to do a good deal of whittling to lighten up a Varmint stock - or open up the barrel channel on a Sporter stock. I much prefer Varmint stocks for shooting at the range of course, but the same features that make a Varmint stock great for firing prone and from the bench would make one too heavy and ponderous for lugging around in the field. - I'm a fair chase hunter, so camping out in a blind in front of a feeder is not on the itinerary here. I have camped out in blinds in the past, and it's a good way to get the venison, but I find it more enjoyable these days to be on the hoof, moving around seeing the country in the sometimes forlorn hope of outwitting the game in its own element.

My theory, still untested is that a short bull barrel should be great for running shots and impromptu shots that often have to be taken without the benefit of a support or stick. As we all know though, reality does not always cooperate with theory. I'd like to hear experiences from hunters who have stalked either game or varmints with short bull barreled rifles.

How does it work out in the field?

Wow, those shots you describe are ethical sportsman shots that don't increase the chance of wound and lost game?
And all of a sudden 300 yard shots are OK?
I can't believe you came back with a post like this. Are you bipolar?

Edited decided to be nice

Last edited by bo323; 12/07/15 01:50 AM.
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6069994 12/07/15 01:36 AM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M

Balance, and stock fit make a big difference. One reason that I tend to lean toward the thumb-hole stocks from Boyds is that they always seem to fit me pretty well.

Above is spot on.

I have Contender rifles with 16" bull barrels and use a thumb hole stock fitted to me, long pull. It works well for offhand shots. Short barrels are great in the blind or walking in the forest.
Sure there is a velocity loss but if I am going to need more range or knock down I will use a different gun, I doubt may on this forum have only one rifle.
Cutting a normal sporter weight barrels to 16-18" can leave a pretty good diameter, cut the fore end also so it looks right, pull butt pad and drill out wood till it balances.

Mark

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: MClark] #6070021 12/07/15 01:49 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: MClark

I have Contender rifles with 16" bull barrels and use a thumb hole stock fitted to me, long pull. It works well for offhand shots. Short barrels are great in the blind or walking in the forest.
Sure there is a velocity loss but if I am going to need more range or knock down I will use a different gun, I doubt may on this forum have only one rifle.
Cutting a normal sporter weight barrels to 16-18" can leave a pretty good diameter, cut the fore end also so it looks right, pull butt pad and drill out wood till it balances.

Mark

I know a gentleman who hunts extensively with a short barreled Contender in Europe. All of my TC experiences are with the pistol version, shooting NRA Hunters Pistol Silhouette, and this was some years ago.

What I'm looking at now is an 18" bull barrel in .308 Winchester, for still-hunting whitetails.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/07/15 12:20 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6070090 12/07/15 02:16 AM
M
MClark Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
I work for a gun smith, we make a lot of Contender and Encore barrels, rifle and pistol
We recently did an Encore rifle in 308 Win, 18" with just a slight taper (looks better). With a Leupold 1.5-5x it was sweet handling and looking.
Would be perfect for still hunting.
Compared to a bolt gun a single shot starts 5-6" shorter with same barrel length.

Mark

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: MClark] #6070118 12/07/15 02:34 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I work for a gun smith, we make a lot of Contender and Encore barrels, rifle and pistol
We recently did an Encore rifle in 308 Win, 18" with just a slight taper (looks better). With a Leupold 1.5-5x it was sweet handling and looking.
Compared to a bolt gun a single shot starts 5-6" shorter with same barrel length.

Mark

My 16.5" Contender gets mistaken for an SBR from time to time.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: TFF Caribou] #6070147 12/07/15 02:55 AM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

I disagree with this, lighter rifles are easier to pack around, but I find a heavier rifle is much easier to shoot off hand or on a bench for that matter.

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: TexFlip] #6070148 12/07/15 02:55 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Mark

My 16.5" Contender gets mistaken for an SBR from time to time.

Damn you. I need one of those now.

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6070155 12/07/15 03:00 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have been advised to ignore the troll posts for a while.

Anybody have anything relevant to the topic that does not involve a personal attack or harassment?

When trolls take over a discussion, it winds up being all about them, and readers who actually want to enjoy the forum are prevented from doing so.

Trolls he says roflmao

Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6070158 12/07/15 03:03 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
That's a rather serious looking little rifle. I bet the pigs don't like it one little bit.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Short, Heavy 308 [Re: charlesb] #6070213 12/07/15 03:49 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Texflip that's puuuuurdy

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide