Print Thread
Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! #6067025 12/04/15 09:43 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I was watching a couple youngsters spar under the feeder when this guy went literally nuts! I seriously thought he was going to jump on my face and bite the living hell out of me. I'm thinking slingshot or small blow gun next time I sit this stand.

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6067043 12/04/15 09:51 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
rifle

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6067051 12/04/15 09:56 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Navasot] #6067064 12/04/15 10:02 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
No doubt a forum members relative roflmao

just protecting its turf. cool video.......don't kill it

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6067218 12/04/15 11:47 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Squirrel rut?

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6067233 12/05/15 12:01 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
.22 CB short. Thank me later.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068157 12/05/15 06:19 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Several years ago I worked at Abilene SP when they had their first draw hunt to reduce the WT population...put a pop up blind between two oak trees on a small rise....nice little set up.

First morning the hunter was sitting it there watching a nice little buck walking towards his defined shooting lane...all of his attention was focused on the deer when a tree-rat jumped from the oak tree onto the top on the blind....expecting something a little more ridged...he was quite surprised to find himself sliding down the side of the pop up and into the window...the hunter was equally suprised to have his undivided attention suddenly redirected to a loud "thud" followed by the top of the blind starting to collapse on his head when a squirrel unexpectedly drops into the blind with him.

At this point neither the hunter nor squirrel were interested in remaining inside the blind and the race was on to see who could exit the fastest...apparently they made several laps around the inside on the blind while simultaneously attempting to exit and avoid one another...the side finally gave way with a large rip and both quickly departed the collapsing blind....

Now standing beside the blind and trying to regain his composure the hunter noticed the deer...which hadn't moved an inch but simply stood there and watched the entire affair...slowly turn around and walk away....

About an hour later as we made our way around to pick up all the hunters we came around the corner to find him sitting there leaning against the base of the oak tree next to the destroyed blind....we were laughing so hard we couldn't breath upon hearing him describe his adventure.....cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068402 12/05/15 10:22 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
^^^^ Now thats funny!

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Creekrunner] #6068447 12/05/15 11:14 PM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
.22 CB short. Thank me later.

food

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068533 12/06/15 12:23 AM
M
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I had one bark at me for 20 minutes straight while I was trying to be quiet...I thought he would never quit.

It's a weekly battle with them in my back yard and nesting in our cars. I would like to take them out with the pellet gun, but don't want to risk the misdemeanor from our friends in blue smile (yes...I live in the city limits)

Traps with peanut butter work well, but not right now when there's lots of acorns to eat.

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068559 12/06/15 12:45 AM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
They will still come to the peanut butter, no matter how many acorns are out there. It's like crack for squirrels, they can smell it a long way and they can't get enough. Sometimes they will even come to you in the woods while you sit and smack on a peanut butter sanny!

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068582 12/06/15 01:00 AM
M
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I must have picky squirrels or tainted peanut butter. Set the trap for a week and watched them stare at it. That was a few weeks ago.

I caught 7 of the buggers in the spring and summer with it, but now none of them want to try it.

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068759 12/06/15 02:29 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Several years ago I worked at Abilene SP when they had their first draw hunt to reduce the WT population...put a pop up blind between two oak trees on a small rise....nice little set up.

First morning the hunter was sitting it there watching a nice little buck walking towards his defined shooting lane...all of his attention was focused on the deer when a tree-rat jumped from the oak tree onto the top on the blind....expecting something a little more ridged...he was quite surprised to find himself sliding down the side of the pop up and into the window...the hunter was equally suprised to have his undivided attention suddenly redirected to a loud "thud" followed by the top of the blind starting to collapse on his head when a squirrel unexpectedly drops into the blind with him.

At this point neither the hunter nor squirrel were interested in remaining inside the blind and the race was on to see who could exit the fastest...apparently they made several laps around the inside on the blind while simultaneously attempting to exit and avoid one another...the side finally gave way with a large rip and both quickly departed the collapsing blind....

Now standing beside the blind and trying to regain his composure the hunter noticed the deer...which hadn't moved an inch but simply stood there and watched the entire affair...slowly turn around and walk away....

About an hour later as we made our way around to pick up all the hunters we came around the corner to find him sitting there leaning against the base of the oak tree next to the destroyed blind....we were laughing so hard we couldn't breath upon hearing him describe his adventure.....cheers
Originally Posted By: blazin
^^^^ Now thats funny!

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: MikeTX] #6068771 12/06/15 02:37 AM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: MikeTX
I must have picky squirrels or tainted peanut butter. Set the trap for a week and watched them stare at it. That was a few weeks ago.

I caught 7 of the buggers in the spring and summer with it, but now none of them want to try it.

I smear a good sized glob of it as thin as I can on the bark of a tree and rub it in a little bit but not very well. Maybe the scent is stronger that way, I don't know, but they flock to it. They also seem to prefer my bird seed to the acorns that are all over my yard.

You smear the pb on the side of the tree facing a window in your house. The tree is a perfect backstop...
rifle

food

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068831 12/06/15 03:12 AM
M
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I will have to experiment with the peanut butter and bird seed. It gets complicated when I let the dogs out as they see the squirrels and can't wait to get outside. I wish they were fast enough to catch them.

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6068896 12/06/15 04:00 AM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
They never grow weary enough to stay away from the peanut butter, or the bird seed. My bird seed was out just for birds, but because of the squirrels i gave up on it. The birds never get a chance to come before it's mostly gone.
The first time i tried the peanut butter it was recommended by a friend. I think it may also be self defeating as it draws them in from far and wide. But if you eat squirrel it's a fantastic trick to get them to stay put in a safe direction to shoot. If you just want to get rid of them, forget the peanut butter.
If you talk with your neighbors about it, you may find they support the use of an air rifle to reduce the numbers. I have been so lucky in the past, but not anymore. They can do a lot of damage. When I lived in Tennessee they literally ate my back deck. Imagine my surprise when I found the squirrels gnawing away at the guard rails.

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6069409 12/06/15 06:21 PM
D
D-Day Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Three or four years ago, I had one come down the tree I was sitting under. He didn't know I was there, but I heard him coming so I moved when he was about 10 feet above me, didn't want him on my head.

I thought I would have scared the daylights out of him, but no, he froze then barked at me for 15 minutes solid...wouldn't let up. High-pitched gray squirrel. He's still around or one of his offspring.

The dog is a gentleman, I want to go to his Heaven not man's.--Mark Twain

If dogs don't go to Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.--Will Rogers

The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.--Mark Twain
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Regular Guy] #6069571 12/06/15 09:05 PM
M
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: Regular Guy
They never grow weary enough to stay away from the peanut butter, or the bird seed. My bird seed was out just for birds, but because of the squirrels i gave up on it. The birds never get a chance to come before it's mostly gone.
The first time i tried the peanut butter it was recommended by a friend. I think it may also be self defeating as it draws them in from far and wide. But if you eat squirrel it's a fantastic trick to get them to stay put in a safe direction to shoot. If you just want to get rid of them, forget the peanut butter.
If you talk with your neighbors about it, you may find they support the use of an air rifle to reduce the numbers. I have been so lucky in the past, but not anymore. They can do a lot of damage. When I lived in Tennessee they literally ate my back deck. Imagine my surprise when I found the squirrels gnawing away at the guard rails.

I used to hang my antlers on of the trees in the back yard, until I noticed the squirrels were gnawing on them.

Last edited by MikeTX; 12/06/15 09:06 PM.
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6069649 12/06/15 10:07 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

a video would have been priceless

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6069692 12/06/15 10:31 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The savage, bucktoothed hoards of the forest. Yea, at that range, a Super Colibri would send him to the cooking pot. Out of my kid's old .22 Cricket, it is dead silent. The click of the firing pin is all you hear.

http://www.luckygunner.com/22-lr-20gr-lrn-aguila-super-quiet-500-rounds

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6070207 12/07/15 03:43 AM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Tree rats I will be outside working and I will hear a "chunk - thwack" and the neighbor will walk across the yard pick one up and throw it in the back of his truck. I'll wave and laugh. He always tries to be sneaky about it because some of the other neighbors have complained about him thinning out the squirrels.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SouthWestIron] #6070668 12/07/15 03:07 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I once had one while I was bowhunting that got too close for comfort. I took the arrow of the rest and kept him at bay. Makes you wonder what would happen if one bit you. I guess the first thing would be rabies shots.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Navasot] #6071802 12/08/15 12:28 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Navasot

rofl

I'm googling Squirrel Outfit roflmao

Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Navasot] #6071825 12/08/15 12:43 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Navasot

rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6071959 12/08/15 01:50 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

rofl

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide