Forum Stats
60397 Members
45 Forums
475405 Topics
6236741 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6067025 - 12/04/15 03:43 PM Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!!
blazin Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas
I was watching a couple youngsters spar under the feeder when this guy went literally nuts! I seriously thought he was going to jump on my face and bite the living hell out of me. I'm thinking slingshot or small blow gun next time I sit this stand.

#6067043 - 12/04/15 03:51 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
kdkane1971 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
rifle

#6067051 - 12/04/15 03:56 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#6067064 - 12/04/15 04:02 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Navasot]
takewhatyoucan64 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Sneaking Up On You
No doubt a forum members relative roflmao

just protecting its turf. cool video.......don't kill it

#6067218 - 12/04/15 05:47 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
retfuz Offline

Loc: Irving Tx. and Cedar Creek Lak...
Squirrel rut?

#6067233 - 12/04/15 06:01 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
.22 CB short. Thank me later.

#6068157 - 12/05/15 12:19 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Several years ago I worked at Abilene SP when they had their first draw hunt to reduce the WT population...put a pop up blind between two oak trees on a small rise....nice little set up.

First morning the hunter was sitting it there watching a nice little buck walking towards his defined shooting lane...all of his attention was focused on the deer when a tree-rat jumped from the oak tree onto the top on the blind....expecting something a little more ridged...he was quite surprised to find himself sliding down the side of the pop up and into the window...the hunter was equally suprised to have his undivided attention suddenly redirected to a loud "thud" followed by the top of the blind starting to collapse on his head when a squirrel unexpectedly drops into the blind with him.

At this point neither the hunter nor squirrel were interested in remaining inside the blind and the race was on to see who could exit the fastest...apparently they made several laps around the inside on the blind while simultaneously attempting to exit and avoid one another...the side finally gave way with a large rip and both quickly departed the collapsing blind....

Now standing beside the blind and trying to regain his composure the hunter noticed the deer...which hadn't moved an inch but simply stood there and watched the entire affair...slowly turn around and walk away....

About an hour later as we made our way around to pick up all the hunters we came around the corner to find him sitting there leaning against the base of the oak tree next to the destroyed blind....we were laughing so hard we couldn't breath upon hearing him describe his adventure.....cheers

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6068402 - 12/05/15 04:22 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
blazin Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas
^^^^ Now thats funny!

#6068447 - 12/05/15 05:14 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: Creekrunner]
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
.22 CB short. Thank me later.

food

#6068533 - 12/05/15 06:23 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman

Loc: San Antonio, TX
I had one bark at me for 20 minutes straight while I was trying to be quiet...I thought he would never quit.

It's a weekly battle with them in my back yard and nesting in our cars. I would like to take them out with the pellet gun, but don't want to risk the misdemeanor from our friends in blue smile (yes...I live in the city limits)

Traps with peanut butter work well, but not right now when there's lots of acorns to eat.

#6068559 - 12/05/15 06:45 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog

They will still come to the peanut butter, no matter how many acorns are out there. It's like crack for squirrels, they can smell it a long way and they can't get enough. Sometimes they will even come to you in the woods while you sit and smack on a peanut butter sanny!

#6068582 - 12/05/15 07:00 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman

I must have picky squirrels or tainted peanut butter. Set the trap for a week and watched them stare at it. That was a few weeks ago.

I caught 7 of the buggers in the spring and summer with it, but now none of them want to try it.

#6068759 - 12/05/15 08:29 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
Deerhunter61 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Several years ago I worked at Abilene SP when they had their first draw hunt to reduce the WT population...put a pop up blind between two oak trees on a small rise....nice little set up.

First morning the hunter was sitting it there watching a nice little buck walking towards his defined shooting lane...all of his attention was focused on the deer when a tree-rat jumped from the oak tree onto the top on the blind....expecting something a little more ridged...he was quite surprised to find himself sliding down the side of the pop up and into the window...the hunter was equally suprised to have his undivided attention suddenly redirected to a loud "thud" followed by the top of the blind starting to collapse on his head when a squirrel unexpectedly drops into the blind with him.

At this point neither the hunter nor squirrel were interested in remaining inside the blind and the race was on to see who could exit the fastest...apparently they made several laps around the inside on the blind while simultaneously attempting to exit and avoid one another...the side finally gave way with a large rip and both quickly departed the collapsing blind....

Now standing beside the blind and trying to regain his composure the hunter noticed the deer...which hadn't moved an inch but simply stood there and watched the entire affair...slowly turn around and walk away....

About an hour later as we made our way around to pick up all the hunters we came around the corner to find him sitting there leaning against the base of the oak tree next to the destroyed blind....we were laughing so hard we couldn't breath upon hearing him describe his adventure.....cheers
Originally Posted By: blazin
^^^^ Now thats funny!

#6068771 - 12/05/15 08:37 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: MikeTX]
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: MikeTX
I must have picky squirrels or tainted peanut butter. Set the trap for a week and watched them stare at it. That was a few weeks ago.

I caught 7 of the buggers in the spring and summer with it, but now none of them want to try it.

I smear a good sized glob of it as thin as I can on the bark of a tree and rub it in a little bit but not very well. Maybe the scent is stronger that way, I don't know, but they flock to it. They also seem to prefer my bird seed to the acorns that are all over my yard.

You smear the pb on the side of the tree facing a window in your house. The tree is a perfect backstop...
rifle

food

#6068831 - 12/05/15 09:12 PM Re: Hunter harrassment, first hand experience!! [Re: blazin]
MikeTX Offline
Woodsman

I will have to experiment with the peanut butter and bird seed. It gets complicated when I let the dogs out as they see the squirrels and can't wait to get outside. I wish they were fast enough to catch them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide