Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
My take on Long Range Hunting #6066245 12/04/15 02:51 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
"Long range hunting" and good sportsmanship have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

To be a hunter, you have to understand that there is going to be a chance of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - and to be a Sportsman, you must be determined to reduce the chance of that happening to as low a likelihood as is humanly possible.

The long range hunter is the direct opposite of a Sportsman, here is a person who deliberately, methodically sets out to hunt under conditions that they know will multiply the chances of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - by several orders of magnitude. They are ready and willing to take this gamble - as long as it is only a fine game animal who will suffer when they lose the bet.

The folks who are duped into this are only guilty of being fooled - but the ones who promote or tolerate it despite the fact that they know better trail slime behind them, wherever they may go.

Since this misbehavior is on the rise, it is the duty of Sportsmen everywhere to strongly, actively discourage it. We should spread the word about good sportsmanship, and what it means.

When good men understand Sportsmanship, they will eschew the entire idea of "long range hunting" as something that one might deliberately pursue.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066258 12/04/15 02:55 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Preciate the judgement.

How about killing praire dogs, coyotes, and hogs at long range? That's all I've kiiled at long range, is that Ok?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066264 12/04/15 02:59 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
What is long range? 300, 600, 800+ yards? Each shooter/hunter has different definitions on this. What is the skill level of the shooter/hunter? I have had multiple customers this season already take game animals from 520, 660, 780, and a whooping 1030 yards! All were great shots with high end equipment and the shooter/hunter had practiced enough with their gear and had the ability to make that first round hit. Is this unsportman like? I don't think so. Each hunter/shooter can apply their skill level to their ability.

Now if a novice takes a pop shot at a big buck at 500 yards with an open sight 30-30, that's crossing the line into unsportsman like behavior. But a skilled shooter/hunter applying his ability to make those longer range shots is a pure "sport" and applying their ability to have a successful hunt.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6066273 12/04/15 03:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
What is long range? 300, 600, 800+ yards? Each shooter/hunter has different definitions on this. What is the skill level of the shooter/hunter?

popcorn

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066274 12/04/15 03:02 PM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks, dad..

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: J.G.] #6066275 12/04/15 03:03 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Preciate the judgement.

How about killing praire dogs, coyotes, and hogs at long range? That's all I've kiiled at long range, is that Ok?

I guess that depends upon whether you see those as fine game animals or not. - I tend to think of them as being varmints, but that's just me.

In Europe, the pigs are seen as game animals... Here in Texas - not so much.

A good yardstick might be whether the rancher is glad to see you eliminate one - or if they want to charge you out the wazoo for the privilege. This puts the pigs into sort of a gray area, here in the state of Texas.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/04/15 03:09 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066282 12/04/15 03:06 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: charlesb
"Long range hunting" and good sportsmanship have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

To be a hunter, you have to understand that there is going to be a chance of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - and to be a Sportsman, you must be determined to reduce the chance of that happening to as low a likelihood as is humanly possible.

The long range hunter is the direct opposite of a Sportsman, here is a person who deliberately, methodically sets out to hunt under conditions that they know will multiply the chances of a crippled. slowly expiring and/or lost game animal - by several orders of magnitude. They are ready and willing to take this gamble - as long as it is only a fine game animal who will suffer when they lose the bet.

The folks who are duped into this are only guilty of being fooled - but the ones who promote or tolerate it despite the fact that they know better trail slime behind them, wherever they may go.

Since this misbehavior is on the rise, it is the duty of Sportsmen everywhere to strongly, actively discourage it. We should spread the word about good sportsmanship, and what it means.

When good men understand Sportsmanship, they will eschew the entire idea of "long range hunting" as something that one might deliberately pursue.

Sounds like a archery hunter has a lot in common to a long range hunter to me.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: dee] #6066294 12/04/15 03:08 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: dee

I always heard that they only shoot from very short distances.

I'm not an archery hunter though, I just have to go by what they say.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066295 12/04/15 03:09 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So if a guy has the skill to hit a prairie dog at 500 yards he should not shoot a mule deer at 500 yards across a canyon because it is "unsportsman like"?

Maybe we shouldn't use rifles at all, maybe bows only, or maybe that is unsportsman like. Ok a spear, no that's still using our superior brain to make and use a tool. A rock? Nope that is also a tool, bare hands that is the only thing that is sportsmanlike.

Nothing new under the sun on this topic, it's been debated on this forum many times over the years.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: T Bone] #6066297 12/04/15 03:09 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: T Bone
Thanks, dad..

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066298 12/04/15 03:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dee

I always heard that they only shoot from very short distances.

I'm not an archery hunter though, I just have to go by what they say.

60 yards is a long range shot for many archery hunters. Deer can "jump the string" and be missed or gut hit. Some guys know how to aim low to shoot where the deer will be when he collects himself.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066299 12/04/15 03:11 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Hey, I'm just putting my take on it out there. - I wouldn't want the "long range hunters" to get the idea that I think of them as Sportsmen, or anything like that.

If there's any confusion on what that means, I can only recommend a re-reading of the original post. The information is all right there.

It's always amazing to me, how often I get burning questions that have already been clearly answered - in the original post.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/04/15 03:18 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: J.G.] #6066302 12/04/15 03:12 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
So if a guy has the skill to hit a prairie dog at 500 yards he should not shoot a mule deer at 500 yards across a canyon because it is "unsportsman like"?

Precisely. - You hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/04/15 03:13 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066309 12/04/15 03:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maybe they don't care if you think of them as sportsmen.

What got me into shooting far was coyote hunting. I can give a rat's a$$ if someone approves or not that the farthest I've hit a coyote is 540 yards. I'm proud I am able to, and that is one less coyote harrassing the whitetail and cattle in my area.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066311 12/04/15 03:15 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I think hunters should know there limitations and keep long range, short range, bow, gun, etc out of the discussion.

Several shooters are students of their passion and know a great deal about it and have the experience required to do it. The problem I see is the cool factor that goes along with it and it urges people who don't have the same qualifications to attempt it with the if its a hit its dead if I don't find it, it was a clean miss mentality.

That is not a range problem its a hunters ethics problem.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066312 12/04/15 03:16 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I would frown on an archery hunter long before a long range gun hunter

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066313 12/04/15 03:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Precisely. - You hit the nail on the head.

Says you. You're not the president of T.P.&W.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: redchevy] #6066315 12/04/15 03:17 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I think hunters should know there limitations and keep long range, short range, bow, gun, etc out of the discussion.

Several shooters are students of their passion and know a great deal about it and have the experience required to do it. The problem I see is the cool factor that goes along with it and it urges people who don't have the same qualifications to attempt it with the if its a hit its dead if I don't find it, it was a clean miss mentality.

Very true.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: redchevy] #6066325 12/04/15 03:23 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy

The additional likelihood of a crippled, wounded or lost game animal at longer ranges are not affected by shooting skill. They multiply no matter how good a shot you may be. - The willingness to take that gamble or not is what separates the "long range hunter" from the Sportsman.

If this seems confusing, give the original post a good, slow re-read and chances are that a realization may follow.

Last edited by charlesb; 12/04/15 03:25 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066332 12/04/15 03:25 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Apparently I and many others disagree with you. Where do you draw the line on acceptable short range? If its 200 or 400 yards im sure there are an ample number of people who could make that shot in their sleep easier than I could make a 150 yard shot.

Tom knapp could shoot the lure off the end of your fishing rod mid cast with an iron sight 22, doesn't seem fair to measure him with the same ruler as everyone else does it?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066342 12/04/15 03:31 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Hey, I'm just putting my take on it out there. - I wouldn't want the "long range hunters" to get the idea that I think of them as Sportsmen, or anything like that.

If there's any confusion on what that means, I can only recommend a re-reading of the original post. The information is all right there.

It's always amazing to me, how often I get burning questions that have already been clearly answered - in the original post.

So give us a yardage your holiness, bestower of title sportsman

As I work to extend my range of an ethical shot I need to know how far I can go for

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066353 12/04/15 03:37 PM
C
CHASE CURTIS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
popcorn

Bottom line is... You can wound an animal at 100 yds just as easily as you can at 1000. You say it's a "gamble" at long range... Well that's where judgment comes in. You have to know your skills and the conditions before committing to dispatch that game animal. Same goes for someone that's just learning to shoot at 100 yds.... I will say personally think it's an ignorant comment to say that its "unsportsmanlike" to shoot long range.... What's more unsportsmanlike... Shooting a deer at 1000 yds after working to do so for a couple years with high end equipment or going to basspro on the way to your first hunt, buying a rifle and planning to go kill something? (Which I have seen multiple times) ...And if you don't see the comparison in archery to long range then then I suggest you do your homework prior to jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by CHASE CURTIS; 12/04/15 03:38 PM.

CURTIS CUSTOM FFL 07/SOT II
Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066358 12/04/15 03:40 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Amazing how many cannot seem to comprehend a rather simple point - and then get abusive about it.

When I see a question that the original post does not cover (respectfully submitted) I'll take the trouble to answer.

Meanwhile, those who deliberately seek opportunities to shoot game animals at long range instead of acting like sportsmen now have a good idea of how I view their activities.

Well, maybe not... Assuming the level of reading comprehension in others is not always a sure bet, is it?

Last edited by charlesb; 12/04/15 03:46 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: charlesb] #6066369 12/04/15 03:46 PM
T
Taddi Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
will you define long range hunting in distance ... you can use feet, yards, meters, inches I dont care. I just need to know where to set up my feeder to be considered a sportsman.

Re: My take on Long Range Hunting [Re: Taddi] #6066375 12/04/15 03:48 PM
C
CHASE CURTIS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Taddi
will you define long range hunting in distance ... you can use feet, yards, meters, inches I dont care. I just need to know where to set up my feeder to be considered a sportsman.

up

CURTIS CUSTOM FFL 07/SOT II
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide